Server population is dropping...

Miffy

I started at launch (like many of you I'm sure) on Gardens of Talla, after the free month, I was off a month and a half (semester turn-around, exams etc) and I came back to find the server a ghost town. My guild of 60+ people had at most 3-4 people on at one time, and fleet (imp) had maybe 30-35 people on. What happened bioware? I still love the game and would love to see more people come and play, even if the game had to become free-to-play (It worked for DCUO and STO). Unless everyone is just taking a break to play ME3, something has to happen before everyone just gives up. I'd hate to see this game die :(

Too many servers added during launch over x mas holidays is part of the issue. We just have so many people spread out over too many servers.

Wow has 500+ servers for 10.3 million players

Swtor has 217 servers for 1.7 million players

Standard peak playing population stands around 10-15% giving us a concurrent login of 170000-255000 players

divide those numbers by the number of servers

783-1175 players per server

The game is not dying there are too many servers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/parmizan/fefcee57.jpg

How can anybody say that this is fine, or even acceptable? yes, some servers are OK, but for servers like The Shadow Runner, it's virtually impossible at any point levelling to get groups for flashpoints or heroic missions. Warzones are restricted to a couple of hours a day when there are enough people online, and only a couple of guilds can manage enough players for raids. The rest have rerolled or simply quit. We need an answer from bioware... fast.

wow.. 2 people on the fleet.. THAT I have never seen.. at 4:00 am est there's usually 25-30.. prime time 125-150.. wow. that f'ing sucks :p I wrote a gripe report about this as well, I was in corellia.. well, I am in corellia. Just got back from being out. there were 4 people on the whole planet.. why is there a need for so many servers.. if there's only 4 ppl on a planet.. the max i saw was 10 and that was at like 730 pm on a saturday. In a thriving game, shouldnt it be at least 25-50? cut down on the amount of servers.. and just combine us.. it's not an elegant fix but It would do the job..

I'd hate to see this game die :(
ya.. me too bro. I really dig it. just wish there were more people to play with. The 2+ and 4 man heroics would be such the perfect setup.. if there were enough people to do them with. at the moment, if you want to do them.. you can.. but you gotta stop what you're doing and search the who list and ask everyone. if you /1 people just ignore you because theres never enough people around to do them.. and I assume they think it'll just fail heh. oh, I play on the jung ma server republic side, i've heard rumors that there's like 2 to 1 empire to repub, so maybe that's the issue. i don't know. if that's what it is, stop rolling stupid evils you punks! Jedi's always win!! hehe. Edited by Macabakur

Too many servers added during launch over x mas holidays is part of the issue. We just have so many people spread out over too many servers.

Standard peak playing population stands around 10-15% giving us a concurrent login of 170000-255000 players

I think this is still be biggest thing. Merging a few servers would help a lot of things.

Well all I can say is this.I canceled my account because I couldn't find anyone to lvl with even after I posted many times on the forms looking.This is a great game but when you have to solo everything when lvling its not fun at all.I couldn't get any heroic 4 mans done and I couldn't get into any of the instances.TBH even the guilds i would join didnt do anything to help each other out.I hope that maybe after a few patches the games populations will improve. Maybe in a year or so I would come back after it is setteld and biowear has time to relase a good amount of patchs and such.

So let me get this straight... To find someone to level with you came to... The forums?

Here's a pro tip... The players are in game playing. Ask there. The forums are 90% full of trolls and people complaining that the game is dead. Try Nightmare Lands (EU). Never have a problem finding groups, flashpoints, and there was even people asking for people to join operations last night. The very first thing that happens after you exit the starter area is someone just randomly groups you up. Had that several times.

Game population is declining and there are too many servers. Neither problem will be fixed anytime soon and because of it the game will suffer.

Well all I can say is this.I canceled my account because I couldn't find anyone to lvl with even after I posted many times on the forms looking.This is a great game but when you have to solo everything when lvling its not fun at all.I couldn't get any heroic 4 mans done and I couldn't get into any of the instances.TBH even the guilds i would join didnt do anything to help each other out.I hope that maybe after a few patches the games populations will improve. Maybe in a year or so I would come back after it is setteld and biowear has time to relase a good amount of patchs and such.

The things you are expierencing are not going to be fixed with any patch. it was BW concept and design to make an MMO around a completely single player expierence. You are correct it is not fun and grouping does not happen because its point less in their game world nothing has any consquence and rewards for grouping are shallow.

So let me get this straight... To find someone to level with you came to... The forums?

Here's a pro tip... The players are in game playing. Ask there. The forums are 90% full of trolls and people complaining that the game is dead. Try Nightmare Lands (EU). Never have a problem finding groups, flashpoints, and there was even people asking for people to join operations last night. The very first thing that happens after you exit the starter area is someone just randomly groups you up. Had that several times.

By all means. Maybe he should have hooked up with the other player that was on the fleet.

/sarcasm

Quite whining and start playing. I too was on a dead server. Kellian Jarro to be specific. I leveled my very first char up to 50, I did every single quest on every single planet. I was so proud of myself. I finally dinged 50, ignoring the fact that there was like 30 people on fleet at prime time. That nearly every planet I was levelling on had like 5 people on it who didn't even seem to be there. Probably AFK or just pissed off with the situation.

Well I got to 50, and there was nothing. No flashpoint group's, no way to recruit any players to guild. It royally sucked. So I started levelling and alt... waiting for the time when more players would come. I got to 43... they never came. And I realised, I was screwed.

OMG the game is dead. Oh wait.... Lets have a look at the other servers. Yes, players are migrating to higher populated servers.

So I rerolled on Nightmare Lands. Got to 50 again (I won't even try to deny this didn't annoy the hell out of me). Yes indeed there should have been server mergers already. But oh well, transfers are coming eventually.

Long story short, I now have a 50 on a populated server where there's nearly 200 on fleet at prime time, loads of people on Illum all willing to help out, and getting a flashpoint group is pretty easy. The ONLY problem I see is that most people are LFG, and not LFM. Basically they're all looking for a group, and not willing to start one. I've seen 6 people all wanting the same thing, and not bothering to group, all waiting for someone else to start the group. If you can get past this and just start one yourself... Its all good.

Moral of the story is... if you really want to play this game, stop whining, go re-roll on a populated server and have fun. ************ about it on the forums is not going to solve your problem. I'm now a happy customer. Yes the game may die. Yes a lot of servers are underpopulated and need merging... but until that happens, you have two options... go play something else. Or roll on a populated server and milk it for all the fun you can get.

Have you ever considered that some people doesn't have that much time and just want the opportunity to have a better experience without starting over? You may have lots of free time, but I know I don't. And I don't want to rerun all the quests from beginning.

Where else can someone that is frustrated with the game go to express thier concearn?

This thread, and most of the other hundreds of threads like this are started by people that LIKE the game and want to be able to enjoy it with a more robust population.

There are too many servers and the population is spread too thin. The three pacific servers are already high population now... where do ya think they all came from?

Edited by Alphashado

The things you are expierencing are not going to be fixed with any patch. it was BW concept and design to make an MMO around a completely single player expierence. You are correct it is not fun and grouping does not happen because its point less in their game world nothing has any consquence and rewards for grouping are shallow.

that's not true. if it were there wouldn't be heroic 2+ and heroic 4's. think about what you say before you say it..

Is that why they made H2's and H4's on every planet??

Hello, i stopped playing a month ago because of population issues. I play on a german PvP server on republic side and the server is DEAD. Sadly i overstated the quality of the game in the beta and subscribed to a 3 months abo - which is running out.

BW let me make this clear and many of my friends and guildmates that stopped playing feel the same: We will not return before Population issues are fixed!

Logged in to day on a Sunday 17:30 and 20 people on the fleet is a joke. I dont need to play a MMO for those numbers.

Logged in to day on a Sunday 17:30 and 20 people on the fleet is a joke. I dont need to play a MMO for those numbers.

Of course, it's entirely impossible that significantly MORE people are, I dunno, in flashpoints or operations, or maybe out on a planet somewhere doing something, right?

I don't think the situation is all that dire yet for many servers. but I will say this.. I joined a guild via the website pre-launch and joined said guild on our auto-selected server at launch. Leveled to 50. Got legacy to level 18... then half my guild quit the game and our server population, even empire side, dropped sunndenly. It was difficult to get hard mode groups and pvp was terrible for me because of Ilum. I don't care for huttball over and over. Eventually I just got tired of it and re-rolled republic on an RPPVP server, which due to how few of which there are I'm certain will always have a healthy population.

Yes I'm more than a little pissed that I felt forced to abandon my legacy level 18 character because (for whatever reason) the population on the server Bioware selected for me and my guild was so low as to not be able to do anything.

I think I should be allowed 1 free character transfer.

Edited by Rotny

Of course, it's entirely impossible that significantly MORE people are, I dunno, in flashpoints or operations, or maybe out on a planet somewhere doing something, right?

Why would anyone ? There is nothing to do on any planet once you have your rakata implants and ear, no need for flashpoints once your columi and above the ONLY place the majority of people gather is the fleet.

You people make me laugh so much.

Bioware CAN move your character to the PTS so they CAN bloody well move our characters off stupidly low population servers even if manually. I would wait a week or two from submitting a ticket to getting moved SO LONG AS I KNOW I WOULD GET MOVED SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

It's fascinating to see how you ignore the second link, which makes it clear that this is current data and not an estimate.

"[Electronic Arts CEO John] Riccitiello reported 1.7M active subscribers, which sounds like nothing much has changed compared to the earnings report numbers released on February 1. But a month ago about half of those players were still in the first 30 days of the subscription period, which is included with the purchase of the game, while the 'vast majority [of players] is now triggered through that point and they’re recurring subscribers.'"

This makes it clear that:

1. The figures are provided by EA's CEO and are not an estimate. Why would the CEO have to provide an estimate when he has access to actual figures?

2. The figures are as of the end of February (this is stated in the first link).

3. The reference to "a month ago" makes it clear that this is not the same estimate as the February 1 estimate provided in the 2012Q3 Quarterly Earnings Call.

4. Asia launched on February 29 (Australia/Singapore/Hong Kong) and March 1 (New Zealand). Therefore, these numbers do not include Asia.

In summary, whatever loss in subscriptions the game has suffered since January has been nullified by additional sales.

I play on Naddist rebels which is a standard size server on prime time you get quick pvp matches which is mostly all i do, but if your on a server and u have to wait till prime time to do something thats pretty stupid you should be able to do things without having to wait 10min to get a match while its not prime time. Also when D3 and tera come out do you honestly think this game is not gonna take a huge hit because it will and than they will get into a panic because they weren't pre-pared for it. Honestly dont see this game lasting a year it will die off and probably either shut down or become a F2P. Like most other mmo's that died out. I like pvp in this game alot but im not being close minded i understand that this game will mostlikely not make it. Eventually the cosmetic portion of the game will die down they honestly can't make the weapons much different except the vibro swords. and the gear wont become exceptional just do to there limitations when it comes to armor. anyway thats my opinion im sure people are gonna QQ and rage over this post.

I don't think the situation is all that dire yet for many servers. but I will say this.. I joined a guild via the website pre-launch and joined said guild on our auto-selected server at launch. Leveled to 50. Got legacy to level 18... then half my guild quit the game and our server population, even empire side, dropped sunndenly. It was difficult to get hard mode groups and pvp was terrible for me because of Ilum. I don't care for huttball over and over. Eventually I just got tired of it and re-rolled republic on an RPPVP server, which due to how few of which there are I'm certain will always have a healthy population.

Yes I'm more than a little pissed that I felt forced to abandon my legacy level 18 character because (for whatever reason) the population on the server Bioware selected for me and my guild was so low as to not be able to do anything.

I think I should be allowed 1 free character transfer.

Most servers are dropping in players, and very few are gaining.

In early access my guild has 200 members, now only 15 of those 200 players are still playing. My server would average over 100 people on both fleets during peak times in December and good part of January. Now we barely average 50 people on fleet at peak times. Its a pain getting parties for anything and long wz queues it takes 30 mins sometimes.

Bioware NEEDS to merge the damn servers or give us 1 free transfer if not, i see the games population decrease more. Cause based on what i see on my server, people are quitting the game cause of low pop since they cant do anything. People say reroll, but people have lives and dont want to start all over.

The delay of patch 1.2 will mostly be the nail in the coffin for me and i assume a lot of other players.

It's just to late... had it been launched 14 days ago, i would proberly still be having a go with the game, but im just bored of it.

I have 2 lvl 50's, and i have a low level scoundrel i tried to play, but im just to bored with it.

The game feels peopleless, you see no people, only at the imperial fleet you see a few, and the republic fleet is even more of a joke on my server, which has a very few people.

God i miss the busy Coronet spaceport in SWG as you came running out the spaceport and saw all the peopel selling stuff or services (buffs, slicing etc.) and interacting with each other.... haven't seen this kind of MMO behaviour in any new modern MMO.

I hope for the game that 1.2 will "save" the game, if not im happy going onwards with Diablo 3 and GW2 when it is launched, only reason i haven't cancelled my SWTOR sub, is my kids play it.

Well folks.

My first and last post .

Good luck . Im big fan of SW , i was awaiting this MMo ( wait single/story ect ) for long time..daily i refreshed timer on main website..got calendar with Hhuge red mark on it..ea lunch date.

Sad to say , i dont see fun in this anymore . Leveling is kinda pointless, ( to fast ) server pop is an joke.

in short worlds .. i dont see any MMO in here anymore.

Good Luck .

Well folks.

My first and last post .

Good luck . Im big fan of SW , i was awaiting this MMo ( wait single/story ect ) for long time..daily i refreshed timer on main website..got calendar with Hhuge red mark on it..ea lunch date.

Sad to say , i dont see fun in this anymore . Leveling is kinda pointless, ( to fast ) server pop is an joke.

in short worlds .. i dont see any MMO in here anymore.

Good Luck .

Agreed. End game is dull and I'm taking off to. Also having nothing to do with Bioware any more after they **** Mass Effect 3's ending.... go ahead... venture over to the ME3 forums I dare you....