Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing since beta, started my first toon on dec 13th on Sith Wrym on the first day of early access, really had high hopes about this game, the server was jumping in the first couple weeks, and yes i remember how bad the queues were, but to add as many servers as they did was STUPID! I knew this was going to happen when that happened, sure maybe adding a few more was a good thing and I don't know the specific number but it seemed like 3 or 4 times as many servers as their were at early access.

Most of the originals on Sith Wyrm are gone already, population never gets higher than standard anymore and was heavy back in january. The server where I went to roll a pub scoundrel, Tarentatek, is practically a ghost town on pub side and that server is one of the originals as well.

I think its a great game but without other players theres no point. I don't like the idea of cross server WZ's or anything like that, because that takes away the integrity of being OUR server, and eliminates rivalries between the faction on your own server as well as seeing regular people you play with from your own side, which makes it like any crappy xbox live game.

The answer imo is BW figuring out server pops, and merging lower-pop servers together so that people stay together. Granted their may be conflicts like naming, but they need to figure this out. Nobody wants to play on a dead server no matter how good the game is or how much content their is. Look at games liek DC Online that had to elimiate ALL of their servers and go F2P, id hate to see that happen to TOR.

Maybe in time this game will need this many servers and more, however it's clearly not the case at this point, BW jumped the gun, added WAY more servers than needed and now were gonna pay for it and so will they if they don't address this.

Edited by ReDRuM_

swtor has 1.7million players, claims EA/Bioware CEO.. i guess you have took harder and even check under those boulders to find the players hiding. for 1.7mil players they gotta be somewhere in the server. Edited by RkJedi

Maybe but what happens when they come back and realize 1.2 is just what was supposed to be in the game at release plus bugs and nerfs to Biochem, PvP gear, PvP valor becoming worthless after all the hard work.

sounds like less fun with and extra wz and op. Bad....

I take it this is your first MMO, this happens a lot in them, save for people being mad about things that already had no meaning to begin with, usually they are stoked there are new thing to do for a while.

1.2 is just like every major patch in the history of the any game and will get sever activity(not population like this thread is wrongfully implying) back up, but then you guys will have something new to ***** about. I can see you're already toting the line "should have been in at release" that phrase is going to be more and more popular when you guys run out of real thing to complain about.

Maybe but what happens when they come back and realize 1.2 is just what was supposed to be in the game at release plus bugs and nerfs to Biochem, PvP gear, PvP valor becoming worthless after all the hard work.

sounds like less fun with and extra wz and op. Bad....

In at launch? No

BW used their time wisely, and invested that time in other things besides features.

Most if not all mmorpgs lack somthing. Wow for example has all of these cool features, but I can not fathom leveling a character in it as I hate reading quest txt. It lacks VO, this game lacks some features that will be added in at patch 1.2. When all of these features are added, this game will be a step above wow, and for me that is great.

In at launch? No

BW used their time wisely, and invested that time in other things besides features.

Most if not all mmorpgs lack somthing. Wow for example has all of these cool features, but I can not fathom leveling a character in it as I hate reading quest txt. It lacks VO, this game lacks some features that will be added in at patch 1.2. When all of these features are added, this game will be a step above wow, and for me that is great.

Why are you lying to yourself? Even Bioware has said that they wish they could have had all the features of 1.2 in launch. They rushed the game out the door and the lack of polish and content shows. In thier haste to get 1.2 out the door they are ignoring players crying out from low-pop servers for merges and by the time they realize that mistake it will be Bioware is late to the party again. Sensing a theme yet?

Why are you lying to yourself? Even Bioware has said that they wish they could have had all the features of 1.2 in launch. They rushed the game out the door and the lack of polish and content shows. In thier haste to get 1.2 out the door they are ignoring players crying out from low-pop servers for merges and by the time they realize that mistake it will be Bioware is late to the party again. Sensing a theme yet?

Nonsense. Apparently you have never played a MMO just after launch, as SWTOR is among the very top when it comes to most polished and finished MMOs at launch. Of course there could always be more content at launch, but that holds true of all games, not just MMOs.

And why should BW rush to devastating and self-defeating server mergers instead of trying to get more people to play the game, both new players and returning ones?

In at launch? No

You may have a point there but still

Edited by Quintan

probably because it's almost what 3 am in Europe right now on a monday? come on use some common sense.

2am and that shouldn't matter. Not everyone works Mondays, not everyone works days. Some have different work schedules. I've never seen myself being the only person on a planet. It makes me upset.

Edited by Preykousis

Standard practice.

Look at Diablo 3:

Blizzard Removes PvP From Diablo 3 To Make Release Date

I think a lot of people are choosing to do what the veteran MMO players in my guild are... They're taking a break until 1.2 since it is so close. They've played through all the content, and there's plenty of other games they want to try out before 1.2 hits and they get back to the grind wheel.

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. When 1.2 hits you're going to see server populations at high once more with all the people coming to check out the new features.

2am and that shouldn't matter. Not everyone works Mondays, not everyone works days. Some have different work schedules. I've never seen myself being the only person on a planet. It makes me upset.

Server name or you're trolling.

Edited by Azzras

Wow for example has all of these cool features, but I can not fathom leveling a character in it as I hate reading quest txt.

+1 on this.

This game lacks some features that will be added in at patch 1.2. When all of these features are added, this game will be a step above wow, and for me that is great.

"lacks some features" ? that has to be the biggest understatement here. a step above wow in 1.2? nope. at least, not yet. maybe when they reach 2.0.

just ran out of game time today. will come back for a month in 1.2 to see how it goes. will just keep watching the forums for updates.

yes it does matter EVEN IN WOW at 2 am on a monday morning the server population is damn near empty.

Server name or you're trolling.

it's in his sig he is playing on a European server on republic at 2 am so he is either in Spain, Portugal UK or the very east part of France.

The rest of Europe its 3 am.

Oh he is also level 16 on Tarris so yeah it's gonna be empty on Tarris on a Monday Morning

Nonsense. Apparently you have never played a MMO just after launch, as SWTOR is among the very top when it comes to most polished and finished MMOs at launch. Of course there could always be more content at launch, but that holds true of all games, not just MMOs.

And why should BW rush to devastating and self-defeating server mergers instead of trying to get more people to play the game, both new players and returning ones?

Your post is nonsense, I have been apart of every major MMO launch since WoW. Sure there have been some downright terrible ones, *cough* WARHAMMER *cough* but this launch is not quite as good as even RIFTs but if being mediocre is what you are aiming for by all means SWTOR is average at best. As for content, its been what 3 months one major patch by now RIFT had what 2.5 raids added and a minor pvp overhaul? Not to mention LFG, AH updates and they somehow manged to find the time for adding acebook and Twitter functionality.

Bioware needs to humble up further admit mistakes and take ownership of them. Chief of which needs to be merging servers or at least giving a hard date for it to raise morale.

Standard practice.

Look at Diablo 3:

Blizzard Removes PvP From Diablo 3 To Make Release Date

Did you just ignore the huge ****storm Blizzard did by going against thier own code and attempting to launch a product without a key feature. Or do you just cherrypick examples without context because it disproves the point you failed to make?

Edited by Tenceriker

Look I love this game and it has true potential but Bioware has made some mistakes by completely ignoring the community on subjects like server forums, global chat feature, server transfers and much more. I can get into more debatable features they are giving us the finger on but the ones I have mentioned are desired by an overwhelming majority of the community yet they are giving us the finger on them.

We are going to lose a lot of people because it's very hard to build a community the way the game is now. I'm in a great guild but when you don't have a guild it's almost like you are alone in the game.

In the guild summit devs acted like every feature people want is this HUGE deal that will take so long to implement and "no eta" etc.

Ok fine but server forums and small tweaks here and there for better communication can't be that hard. Heck give me two guys and a week and I can implement some great changes.

Come on BioWare please wake up. Group servers? it's such a failure and all because you don't have the man power to repress free speech.

Let people speak their minds and have their feuds, you can't stop the truth from coming out. People are not stupid and no matter how hard you try to control information you will not succeed so what's the point?

People are leaving - more content is not the solution - nice but not the solution.

Your post is nonsense, I have been apart of every major MMO launch since WoW. Sure there have been some downright terrible ones, *cough* WARHAMMER *cough* but this launch is not quite as good as even RIFTs but if being mediocre is what you are aiming for by all means SWTOR is average at best. As for content, its been what 3 months one major patch by now RIFT had what 2.5 raids added and a minor pvp overhaul? Not to mention LFG, AH updates and they somehow manged to find the time for adding acebook and Twitter functionality.

Bioware needs to humble up further admit mistakes and take ownership of them. Chief of which needs to be merging servers or at least giving a hard date for it to raise morale.

Did you just ignore the huge ****storm Blizzard did by going against thier own code and attempting to launch a product without a key feature. Or do you just cherrypick examples without context because it disproves the point you failed to make?

you deserve a big fat cookie, my friend :) +1000

TBF I've done the majority of both of those solo. :eek:

haha.. I play dps. i've solo'd a couple of the easier 2's but anything with a, man I can't think of the rank of mob above elite.. like the really defined star. commander? or.. something.. but ya, anything with one of those in it and i'm toastified :).. solo at least. with a healer i can own!.. not companion.. they just don't heal well enough for one of those mob's.

On a different note but similar topic, I was thinking about the game in the aspect of it shutting down because of a lack of playerbase. I tried to look up info on the first six months of WoW, but I couldn't find any data pertaining to the amount of paid subscribers they had.. But, making a bold assumption, something tells me the numbers we have in swtor aren't much different. It can be said that it was a fledgling industry at the time when WoW, came out. There was what? Everquest, Dark age of camelot? Couple others I think, but it was still a young genre.

I think, (ahh ya now I remember the actual thought I had) anyone who played WoW through the different periods of it can say verifiably that swtor is a better game. I know I can, I played it off and on for 5-6 years starting mid vanilla. Not saying that it didn't have it's good moments but it was so f'ing grind happy, and there was no real plot to speak of. Swtor is so much the superior in story and feel, it's just a much more fun, and well put together game, even in it's infancy. I think this will lead to more people jumping on the bandwagon, that's my hope at least.. this is way too good of a game to die because of a lack of players. WoW in it's first few months doesn't even come close to how good this is in it's opening stages. here's to hoping 1.2 brings the flocks in..

Edited by Macabakur

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. When 1.2 hits you're going to see server populations at high once more with all the people coming to check out the new features.

How is 1.2 going to help the low populated servers? Sure 1.2 will help bring back many people who are "sleeping" atm, but most people who complain that they are on low populated servers, have had low population on their servers from day one. My server Kellian Jarro is one of them.

1.2 is not going to bring back people who left the game because wasting 2 months really means something to them,.

I think Bioware is going to struggle with content updates, although 1.2 looks ok.

How is 1.2 going to help the low populated servers? Sure 1.2 will help bring back many people who are "sleeping" atm, but most people who complain that they are on low populated servers, have had low population on their servers from day one. My server Kellian Jarro is one of them.

1.2 is not going to bring back people who left the game because wasting 2 months really means something to them,.

My server had queues the frist week and a half, then it was very heavy, then heavy, then standar and now its almost light the entire day exept for 3 hours during peak time, I think the mayority of the ppl that are asking for merges or server transfer where playing with their servers at full/heavy/very heavy and now they can't play at all because of their server being at light