Jumping the gap in Void Star, a bug?

Haldern

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why people keep calling this a bug or an exploit and that people have only been mentioning this until recently.

The gap between the two halfs is aligned so those with a speed boost/charge can get across. They even place a speed boost on the 'defending' side which you can use to jump back over.

If they wanted to prevent this, they would have just made the forcefield block the gap, but instead it's purposefully kept free to enable jumps.

Sounds a valid tactic to me.

Unlike a game i played a few days ago where on defence a bomb was planted on a door in the second room with no bridges extended.

You do realize that this was due to "jumping the gap", right?

As an attacker, you jump the gap, run to the door, and assault it. If timing was in your favour, all the defenders are either stuck behind the forcefield, or still on the starting side of the bridges fighting your team.

Once the door blows, the bridges open.

If you as the gap-jumping attacker co-ordinate with your team (basically they don't kill anybody once door #1 is down - just stall them), once past door #1 you can all but guarantee the other 5 points doing this.

With good timing it's possible to jump the gap in the second room of Void Star using Force Speed. I would like to know if this is considered a bug or not.

Thanks,

Haldern

If so, then it would also have to be a bug that one can force leap or pull across the gap as well.

.. which is why a speed boost is on the defending side so ANYONE can get back across, right?

LDO, the level designer made the gap and added the speed boost to allow a defender to get to the other side, but didn't realize that it also would allow attacking Sages and Sorcs to do the same. Otherwise there would be speed boosts on both sides.

You don't think the designer thought "Oh, I'm going to reward Sages and Sorcs with an opportunity to skip the bridges", right?

You do realize that this was due to "jumping the gap", right?

As an attacker, you jump the gap, run to the door, and assault it. If timing was in your favour, all the defenders are either stuck behind the forcefield, or still on the starting side of the bridges fighting your team.

So how do they get through the forcefield in place?

The bomb was planted within 5 seconds of the first doors blowing. The time it took me to suicide and aoe from the spawn point and res in the 2nd room, thats how long it took.

Only time i've had it happen, but i do see dodgy stuff happening on a regular basis in all the WZ's.

Theres no forcefield.. because they jump the gap in the centre where there isnt one, thereby allowing themselves to plant the 2nd bomb without extending the bridge.

Didn't realise there wasn't anything in the centre area. Still think it was very dodgy in the time it took to get there, seeing as it's an 8 second plant time on the door.

Will have a look tonight if my new broadband company gives me a stable connection.

But overall as said above i think it is a valid.

With good timing it's possible to jump the gap in the second room of Void Star using Force Speed. I would like to know if this is considered a bug or not.

Thanks,

Haldern

I agree with the posters below you. It HAS to be working as intended. Else they would have put a 3rd red barrier there, like they have with the 3rd area.

I used to stand next to the speed buff and wait, so I know which side to go to. . . .now I sit at the red buff so they dont leap to me XD

Speaking of, I have not gotten anywhere close to making that jump on my sage(even though I've only tried a couple times). But force leap with a guardian or sentinel is super easy.

LDO, the level designer made the gap and added the speed boost to allow a defender to get to the other side, but didn't realize that it also would allow attacking Sages and Sorcs to do the same. Otherwise there would be speed boosts on both sides.

You don't think the designer thought "Oh, I'm going to reward Sages and Sorcs with an opportunity to skip the bridges", right?

Then he was an idiot at minimum for not foreseeing that the second a Defender tried to use the speed boost to jump back across, a Knight/Warrior was going to leap to him, kill him, and go cap. However, given how they tweaked the voidstar map several times in beta, I'm going to have to say it's working completely as intended.

It's not an exclusive reward by any means. Both Consular AC's, Both Knight AC's, and 1 of the Trooper AC's can get across (plus their imperial mirriors), meaning 5 of the 8 AC's are capable of jumping the gap in some form from the offensive side.

Edited by Khadroth

is there a youtube vid for evidence....never saw this hap so still not sure if this is possible

It is possible, I have done it from time to time on my Shadow while defending and attacking. Seeing any one can use the speed buff while defending to do it and classes can force leap across it, I don't see how it can be an exploit.

I would say exploit since "jumping the gap" is not an option for all classes. So it is possible for one team to have classes that can and the other to not. Since how quickly round one is finished affects how long you have in round two... And that no defender may be able to be on the other side to even have a chance of interfering with capping the door...

Its an exploit.

If it was WAI then there would be a speed boost on both sides of the gap or it would be small enough that any class could jump across. Since there isn't and its not...

Edited by SirRobin