Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The game is on sale!

jimmyquinella

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the forums here, how some of the drones try and make it like its something bad

TOR Forums- Blowing things out of proportion since 2008

Two of my guilty pleasures are watching politics and browsing forums. Entrenched viewpoints, attacking the person instead of debating the issue, twisting any statistic or fact to justify an opinion, and an absolute refusal to compromise... really, it's no wonder I like MMOs. I clearly enjoy repeated content. :)

I feel guilty for liking something so seedy, but it does make for good entertainment.

Can anyone name a dying game that opened more servers, as this one is about to do in Asia?

Can any of the number posters actually show numbers for both global and digital sales, instead of just US retail boxes, to support their argument?

Edited by Skoobie

Can anyone name a dying game that opened more servers, as this one is about to do in Asia?

Can any of the number posters actually show numbers for both global sales and digital, instead of just US retail boxes, to support their argument?

Well if they could they wouldn't be "insert_word_that_can't_be_said_without_getting_reported", would they?

fasting growing MMO of all time is a failed launch? rofl

Let's break it down shall we?

SW is probably one of the largest IPs of all time; Given that, any MMO launching in the latter months of 2011 would garner absolute massive interest and sales.

Which it did.

Then players realized what a crock it was.

Will we talk about about a one sided faction game? Or a game of such magnitude without server forums? Or, say them having to shut the forums down to fix things? Or maybe them removing the 'un-sub' button just at the end of free month?

The game is exactly like STO and gong the same way.

Fastest growing is true. As is fastest failing.

I dont remember that, but actually its a potentially valid way of looking at it.

MMOs at launch ALWAYS lose a big chunk of players after the first month, how large that number is is the key to the games survival.

However a game that loses 300K subs after its been going for years says something very important has changed (game changed or another game came out) and that is very different to the drop at launch.

You think that's a valid statement? I would argue that a game with 10ish million subs after 8 years losing 300k subs is less significant to that game then a 2 month old game with 1ish million subs losing 300k subs. Ratio much? And failing to acknowledge the duration of the games is kind if silly.

I agree with the 8 year game losing subs means something has changed. Like new MMO or other game releases :). That being said, to survive that long means initially it was very well liked, But a 2 month old game losing that much more than likely means people just aren't enjoying it.

Edited by Camryyn

You think that's a valid statement? I would argue that a game with 10ish million subs after 8 years losing 300k subs is less significant to that game then a 2 month old game with 1ish million subs losing 300k subs. Ratio much? And failing to acknowledge the duration of the games is kind if silly.

I agree with the 8 year game losing subs means something has changed. Like new MMO or other game releases :). That being said, to survive that long means initially it was very well liked, But a 2 month old game losing that much more than likely means people just aren't enjoying it.

Agree 100%.

Rift had like... six... sales in the first six months.

It had a VERY high retention rate and the second largest subscription base during those six months.

Sales =/= The game is failing

Every game has sales, MMOs more often than others. Most MMOs get their money from subs and cash shops, not from box sales. Since TOR has such a high retention rate and subscriber base, it's a very smart move to lower the box price to get more subs.

Edit: Notice how I said high retention rate.

TOR has lost fewer subscribers after the first month than any other MMO, with a retention rate of 85%. WoW's retention rate was worse, because it had many more problems and had less content than TOR at launch.

Edited by Explosive_Lasers

Erm - thats completely ignoring all the facts tho.

This game sold 2 million copys (fact) and retained 1.7 million (Fact) this is the highest ratio of any mmo, possibly ever, but definately in the last 5 years.

WoW at best has 4-5 million SUBSCRIBERS. It also has 6-7 million NON SUBSCRIBERS - them being the eastern market which doesnt allow subscription gamers (entirely different model, pay to play over there).

SWTOR losing 300K gamers after the first month is a much much smaller thing than WoW losing 300K subscribers in one month. One is better than expected, the other is completely unexpected.

Erm - thats completely ignoring all the facts tho.

This game sold 2 million copys (fact) and retained 1.7 million (Fact) this is the highest ratio of any mmo, possibly ever, but definately in the last 5 years.

WoW at best has 4-5 million SUBSCRIBERS. It also has 6-7 million NON SUBSCRIBERS - them being the eastern market which doesnt allow subscription gamers (entirely different model, pay to play over there).

SWTOR losing 300K gamers after the first month is a much much smaller thing than WoW losing 300K subscribers in one month. One is better than expected, the other is completely unexpected.

Ok, how many of the 1.6 were TWO month game cards and free one month for initial purchase? So rhat retention number is somewhat skewed because some of the "retained" subs have already been paid for in advance.

I think the proof in the pudding will be in 3-4 months.

Who really cares anyways. I'm still enjoying the game. When I quit enjoying it I'll quit paying it. Wait! Why am I posting on forums instead of playing anyways? O yeah, my wife grounded me :(

Ok, how many of the 1.6 were TWO month game cards and free one month for initial purchase? So rhat retention number is somewhat skewed because some of the "retained" subs have already been paid for in advance.

What difference does that make?

If they paid for the time in advance or later on, the company still gets the 2 months worth of money.

I have never said this game will retain XXX subscribers, what I have said is that it is the best retention rate of any game. All those other games also had people with 2 month cards. Heck SOME of them had people buying lifetime subscriptions - they count as active subscribers FOREVER, talk about screwing with the stats.

ITs a level playing field, all these things exist in all the mmos, thus are directly comparable.

$49.99 limited time.....

step 2 will be $49.99 all the time

step 3) $39.99 and free Jawa

then 7 free day tryout.......

welcome to Bargain Bin folks!

:)

So according to your "theory" any game that goes on sale is bad. So by that: Skyrim = bad, Battlefield 3 = bad, Modern Warfare 3...well that is bad, and every game on Steam is bad.

Nice try though but go ahead and return to whatever /v/ forum or WoW forum you crawled out of. :jawa_tongue:

Originally Posted by jimmyquinella

$49.99 limited time.....

step 2 will be $49.99 all the time

step 3) $39.99 and free Jawa

then 7 free day tryout.......

welcome to Bargain Bin folks!

Aw crud....

Yesterday I got a McDonald's Double cheeseburger for 99 cents....

Step 2) will be .99 all the time

Step 3) .89 cents with a free Jawa plush toy

then a free double cheeseburger when you buy one....

Welcome to marketing folks!

I like cool stuff like marketing predictions and stuff, I mean, I dont know that much about it but still. i dont have alot of the info either and that would change it I think, cept what I can get on the internet. But I can do it too a lil.

Gonna call heads or tails, and call it right everytime.

Heads.

*flips coins - lands tails*

*ignores result*

*ignores result*

*ignores result*

*flips coins - lands heads*

Knew it! See! And that means all my other calls were right and stuff too!

Predictions are cool. Like cookies.

-Lad

I was in Game today and they are selling Collector's Editions for £89.99 instead of £129.99. So much for limited supply...

Actually they never said there were a limited supply in fact the demand was large enough that they asked GG to do two more runs because they didn't want to pull a Blizzard and have their product line the pockets of unscrupulous Ebayers.

But yeah D000000oooom :rolleyes:

So according to your "theory" any game that goes on sale is bad. So by that: Skyrim = bad, Battlefield 3 = bad, Modern Warfare 3...well that is bad, and every game on Steam is bad.

Nice try though but go ahead and return to whatever /v/ forum or WoW forum you crawled out of. :jawa_tongue:

Skyrim is still $59.99.

It's selling well so it isn't on sale yet. Very simple retail economics here. They did a little sale for Christmas, but not a permanent one.

people really thought the CE is 'limited'?

little hint: a CE is limited if it's named Limited Collector's Edition, not when it's named Collector's Edition :p

that being said, the majority of the money for an online game is made by subscriptions (you people who unscribbed, yes we know, the game is failing :p) .. not by box sales. sure, GW might be an exception....

When other games do things, not an issue.

When TOR does things, its because its clearly struggling or going under.

Sometimes I wonder how far people will blow things out of proportion, then I come to the TOR forums

Its 45% Fanbois, 45% Drones, 8% With Legitimate issues, and 2 % scratching their heads going why am i not playing the game and reading this instead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.