It kind of hard to stomach when you realize...

Galbatorrix

... that your chosen server(s) are some of the ones that had a lot of cancellations after the first month. :(

I play republic and Sith on two different servers and when I first started in December, they were both "standard". I chose them because A, the name felt appropriate for my chosen faction and also because I didn't want to wait in line on some of the heavy/full servers.

With that said, they're ALWAYS light now.... both of them. On the weekends, I'm lucky to see 30 people on fleet (it was always 80-100 when I first started) and doing heroic quests or flashpoints is getting harder and harder. Bioware needs to either allow free server transfers or go ahead and figure out a cross server group finder similar to WOWs to combat this issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this. And sure, I could reroll, but I have 9 total characters all ranging from level 14 to 35. Most of them are 19+.... I don't really want to start over....

Edited by Galbatorrix

... that your chosen server(s) are some of the ones that had a lot of cancellations after the first month. :(

I play republic and Sith on two different servers and when I first started in December, they were both "standard". I chose them because A, the name felt appropriate for my chosen faction and also because I didn't want to wait in line on some of the heavy/full servers.

With that said, they're ALWAYS light now.... both of them. On the weekends, I'm lucky to see 30 people on fleet (it was always 80-100 when I first started) and doing heroic quests or flashpoints is getting harder and harder. Bioware needs to either allow free server transfers or go ahead and figure out a cross server group finder similar to WOWs to combat this issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this. And sure, I could reroll, but I have 9 total characters all ranging from level 14 to 35. Most of them are 19+.... I don't really want to start over....

"It kind of hard to stomach when you realize... "

That the OP is ignoring that BW changed the metric for whether a sever is defined as being "Light," "Standard," or "Heavy."

That the OP is ignoring that BW changed the metric for whether a sever is defined as being "Light," "Standard," or "Heavy."

That's right. What used to light is now standard. A nice little trick for making it appear that alot of people have not already quit.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

You know, guilds are just the thing you are looking for... a repository of players who can be in instant contact with one another when looking to run something together. You don't need a LFG queue system if you have guild mates. The root problem with not finding a group is that you spend 99% of your time alone in game out of choice. Have to make friends to have friends to play with.

Care to explain that? Does "light" not indicate player population? And even if it doesn't, it still true in my case, so the point still stands. People on low pop servers having to re-roll is a poor option. Bioware needs to fix it.

OP I (and many others) have been in the exact same situation. People get hung up on the 'light' vs 'heavy' and what they mean stuff when the real issue is that there just isn't enough people on some of these servers to sustain an enjoyable multiplayer experience.

People from the larger servers just don't understand because the experience is so drastically different.

Hows the cool aid taste?. there is a sharp decline even on a ultra packed server like space slug. Raid guilds arerecruiting agin to fill their 16 mans as alot of players that hit end game 2 or 3 weeks ago are done the end game holds no water if you dont reroll then its prettyshallow due to having to do 90 percent of the quests you just did.

That's right. What used to light is now standard. A nice little trick for making it appear that alot of people have not already quit.

Actually, it's the opposite. The very first change BW made was to increase server caps to deal with the very long queues that were forming. You're just making assumptions because you're starting from the premise that "the game is dying DOOM DOOM DOOOOOOM!!!!!"

OP I (and many others) have been in the exact same situation. People get hung up on the 'light' vs 'heavy' and what they mean stuff when the real issue is that there just isn't enough people on some of these servers to sustain an enjoyable multiplayer experience.

People from the larger servers just don't understand because the experience is so drastically different.

That's my issue. If I could transfer my characters to a more populated server, I think my experience would go up 10 fold. I just hate the fact that I'd have to re-roll and then do the same quests all over again to accomplish this. Bioware should allow free transfers for a while until the game grows some more.

I'm sure tons of people on servers like mine are thinking that the game is dead when it's likely just their server.

Its hard to stomach when you think that this whole "people are not online at the same moment as me nor playing as much as i do" = they must've cancelled.

I guess its hard to stomach other people have lives.

Edited by Nemmar

Don't forget that now that many people are level 50, they are leveling alts. Or just logging on to raid.

Also, I personally felt like my server, Kathol Rift, is getting empty but last night I did a /who and there were over 100 level 50 republic and we're outnumbered at least 1:3 by the Empire.

Actually, it's the opposite. The very first change BW made was to increase server caps to deal with the very long queues that were forming. You're just making assumptions because you're starting from the premise that "the game is dying DOOM DOOM DOOOOOOM!!!!!"

BS. My server started as standard and is now light. If what you way is true, the population should be the same. That is NOT the case. No one said the game is doomed. We're just stating how crappy it is to have rolled on a server that has lost a lot of population with no option to get out other than re-rolling.

You are mistaken, sir. That was the First time they adjusted to cap. I'm talking about the second time they moved the cap, a week or so ago.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

Two friends and myself leveled up as republic on a standard server in the beginning but now is mostly light, rarely if ever was it heavy. The republic fleet rarely ever broke the 110+ mark and usually hovered around 60. After reaching 50 we decided to quit that server and try a different one. So we re-rolled onto a heavy server and this time as imperial and the game is drastically different. The lowest we've ever seen the imperial ship was 140 and we've seen it reach 230. The zones we level up in have more than 10 people in them and the world feels much more populated and it actually feels like an mmo as opposed to before where it felt like we were the only ones on the server.

OP, as bad as the feeling is to start over to play on a more populated server, it is worth it in the end. Yes, it sucks leveling up again, especially if you have maxed out crafts and got gear, but in the end it makes the game more enjoyable. And that's why we play a game right? To have a good time and enjoy ourselves.

Edited by Ulmius

Care to explain that? Does "light" not indicate player population? And even if it doesn't, it still true in my case, so the point still stands. People on low pop servers having to re-roll is a poor option. Bioware needs to fix it.

They stated in the dev tracker that character xfers will be coming in the future.

I agree with the need for cross server groups, because getting people to do the Heroics and Flashpoints is seriously painful sometimes. I wasn't even able to do a single one on Alderaan or Tattooine, just because of the sheer lack of people.

I remember sitting there one day advertising that I was LFG, and I didn't get a response for over an hour. It's just sad that I have to miss these stories on my first play through because there just aren't enough people available or willing to do them.

If there was LFG specific chat where no matter what world you were on you could post what you wanted to do, so other people could join in. I don't know what the limitations are for /general chat, but it would be nice to reach out to some players on other worlds, or give them the option to group up with someone, even if they're 3 worlds away. That I think would fix a lot of these issues.

Edited by Cammerroooon

BS. My server started as standard and is now light. If what you way is true, the population should be the same. That is NOT the case. No one said the game is doomed. We're just stating how crappy it is to have rolled on a server that has lost a lot of population with no option to get out other than re-rolling.

And how are you determining the "population" such that you can claim it is "NOT the case"? Anecdotal evidence from a slow night on the server? Ridiculous. Did you go to each and every one of the planets, run a /who and count them all up? There's fluctuation on a daily basis. Monday night we had 30 or so people in Fleet on my server and last night it was around 70...oh, I guess that means server population more than doubled in 2 days!!! And I'm playing on a server that has ALWAYS been lower population than ones like Fatman because I chose it to avoid the queue issues at launch.

Fact is, you have nothing to go on...nobody does...and silly websites that pretend to graph it all based on the light, heavy, standard labels, not empirical population data, have zero informtion with which to adjust their samples to standardize the the definitions of light, standard and heavy. Moreover, they started from the holiday season when server populations were predictably extremely high because everyone and their mom was trying to play it during holiday/vacation, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy situation to claim "oh looky, it dropped!"

People reach 50 and start leveling alts so you see a drop in Fleet population. Heck, people in my guild went and parked their toons at 50 and are now fooling around with multiple alts just to see what they like. Some people reach 50 and stop logging in every day, all day and start just logging in to raid. Content locusts finish everything with one toon and sometimes stop logging in at all until there's an expansion. Fact is, anecdotal evidence can only really tell you something generalized and global about players' USAGE, not actual population. And even THAT is making loose assumptions.

The only thing we'll be able to rely on is when BW releases information about subscription numbers. If they go up, they go up. If they go down, they go down. To early too tell.

Edited by Blotter

And sure, I could reroll, but I have 9 total characters all ranging from level 14 to 35. Most of them are 19+.... I don't really want to start over....

BTW, right there is evidence that you yourself are contributing to low numbers on Fleet....or are all 9 of your toons pretty much permanently parked by the PvP terminal because you level all of them via PvP only?

Oh, good grief. Would you quit posting your drivel? Every post that has ANYTHING to do with server numbers you chime in with this same crap. Go away or go play the game, I don't care which but stop posting.

That's my issue. If I could transfer my characters to a more populated server, I think my experience would go up 10 fold. I just hate the fact that I'd have to re-roll and then do the same quests all over again to accomplish this. Bioware should allow free transfers for a while until the game grows some more.

I'm sure tons of people on servers like mine are thinking that the game is dead when it's likely just their server.

I made a new character on one of the so called heavy pop servers and what a difference. 90ish people in the beginning two planets, multiple fleet instances ... you can actually do heroic quests without issue.

A bit of advise for future MMO releases.

It will almost always be better to deal with queues right around release time. There will always be a big influx of people playing at release, especially around the holidays.

Servers with consistent queues at the start will usually even out to a pretty large and balanced community.