Are all MMO games doomed to die or can the tide be changed

pieteral

It looks like all new MMO's that are hitting the market are all doomed to live short lives.

What do you feel could change the tide? What would keep you captivated to swtor for the rest of your life?

I don't mean things like fix bugs, dual spec, frame rate issues, add ons, a thousand more etc ... but what is the innovative touch that can give MMO a decade life spam.

Just some examples:

Should it become a true social network, creating a facebook environment inside swtor, allowing to do all the cool things you can do in facebook.

or what about having your desktop incorporated inside swtor allowing you to browse, email, skype, etc ... do all the cool things you do on your computer but then inside the Galaxy

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like all new MMO's that are hitting the market are all doomed to live short lives.

What do you feel could change the tide? What would keep you captivated to swtor for the rest of your life?

I don't mean things like fix bugs, dual spec, frame rate issues, add ons, a thousand more etc ... but what is the innovative touch that can give MMO a decade life spam.

Just some examples:

Should it become a true social network, creating a facebook environment inside swtor, allowing to do all the cool things you can do in facebook.

or what about having your desktop incorporated inside swtor allowing you to browse, email, skype, etc ... do all the cool things you do on your computer but then inside the Galaxy

One of the main reasons i feel that they fail is because too many are WoW clones.

MMo's these days never tend to be unique enough.

SWTOR needs to have something more unique thats sets it apart.

Voice acted story and the mini space game does not count.

Take guild wars for example.

Hey, im not too bothered by it, but at least its trying something new that will make it different to whats been done a million times.

Niche games like Eve online. Cater for a particular audience and do rather well.

The question is, if you could do all the current activities in WoW, then why do it here?

I know they all want to cash in that big fat check tho, so there's not much anyone can do about it

Edited by Rhymez

Take guild wars for example.

Hey, im not too bothered by it, but at least its trying something new that will make it different to whats been done a million times.

I am waiting on GW2 to, but to say it's doing anything NEW is a joke. There is nothing new in GW2 just old ideas rehashed and thats the problem with MMO market.

A single shard for all players, a sandbox similar to EVE Online with a myriad of ingame activities, massive player driven economy, wars over economic resources and a combat system similar to console fighting games.

That would keep me busy for a very very long time.

I am waiting on GW2 to, but to say it's doing anything NEW is a joke. There is nothing new in GW2 just old ideas rehashed and thats the problem with MMO market.

Maybe i was incorrect, but from what i have personally seen, it does look rather different.

mabye not different enough however, but i have never played an MMO with the features its claiming of having

A single shard for all players, a sandbox similar to EVE Online with a myriad of ingame activities, massive player driven economy, wars over economic resources and a combat system similar to console fighting games.

If only..

Edited by Rhymez

~~

A lot of the big MMO's that have came out lately flat out need more things to do than dailies and a PvE group grind.

In-depth crafting and resource gathering, collections, housing, farming, non-combat activities and professions. I think a lot of people want to have more of an impact on the game world and not just 'play through it". Basically keep the themepark stuff of quests and instances and what have you, but make a lot of other activities for people to really get into. It's probably the biggest problem ToR is going to have in the long run.

Problem is, no big money companies are willing to make a game like that. Some indie companies try, but lack the resources to make it polished and widely appealing.

~~

This would be a dream come true.

Tide is changing with GW2.

Enlighten us, in what way is GW2 going to change anything?

Enlighten us, in what way is GW2 going to change anything?

Enlighten Yourself if You are interested. You can simply check out on youtube 10 reasons why to be interested in GW2.

Anyway in what way? Compared to all of the recently released MMOs? In EVERY way.

All MMO (with the lack of creativity) are doomed to die out. And I welcome this development.

If the developers think it is enough to sit back and feed the playerbase with outdated ideas and gamesystems, than it is good, that their games fail.

Only then a learning process can begin and the publisher also the developer can adjust their attitude.

For year 2004 WoW was new, fresh and exciting paired with a well know label.

So it became the success, we all know.

You cannot expect to release a game 8 years later ,with little to no evolution, to be a success.

WoW clone is a wrong terminology, because WoW didnt invent most of the ideas.

The right point is, that MMOs didnt evolve since the EQ / WoW times and there lies the reason, why all the following MMOs (even with good labels) are deemed to fail.

It is not enough to have the Star Wars label. Now you have to release a MMO, which shows signs of a good evolution and introduces fresh gameplay and new ideas.

The next possible candidate with some good fresh ideas would be GW2, but I think it needs more and lets wait for the Blizzard "Titan" project.

MMOs in this form, are going to die.

Not really doomed I think, but I wish developers, publishers, and investors would get it through their head that WoW's success wasn't just because they had gameplay features X, Y, and Z. There were many external factors in 2004 that catalyzed at just the right time to result in the huge explosion of players it had. Social networking was taking off, and computers with weak graphics cards or integrated graphics chipsets could actually run the game, and broadband was becoming a staple of modern American homes so latency and big patches were no longer game-stopping hurdles.

All that got players in the door for the first time, but it doesn't mean players want the same exact experience over and over again, which is what investors and publishers keep demanding of developers to deliver. Time and time again in new MMOs the most common overall complaint I see about new games is "this is such a WoW clone, if I wanted to play WoW I'd still be there."

Edited by marshalleck

Enlighten Yourself if You are interested. You can simply check out on youtube 10 reasons why to be interested in GW2.

Anyway in what way? Compared to all of the recently released MMOs? In EVERY way.

You can't enlighten us, can you?

All we know about the game right now is what the developer told us, they always make it sound better than it is.

And i hope you can be in the same zone as player outside your party in GW2 (MMO?)

You can't enlighten us, can you?

All we know about the game right now is what the developer told us, they always make it sound better than it is.

And i hope you can be in the same zone as player outside your party in GW2 (MMO?)

Ofc, GW2 aint SWTOR where You dont meet anybody since everything is instanced.

GW2 will actually have the biggest mmo aspects from all mmos. No stealing mobs/loots. When You will see a player You will actually welcome it (with all the cross prof combos etc).

Anyway, I aint here to convince anybody. I think its worth looking into.

Plus base game mechanics are something devs cant lie about :p cause if it wont be in the game on launch, ppl just wont play it ;)

No MMO is doomed to die. It's the expectations of greedy publishers and fanboys who always think they can get WoW numbers if they just copy WoW enough that causes so many problems.

There's never going to be another WoW. Players are too diverse and have too many options now. Developers will have to content themselves going after the larger niches, and aiming to create a good game that keeps 300K to 400K members long-term, like Eve or Rift.

Edited by Mannic

I think that to day that they are all doomed is a bit much but I think that there will be fewer MMO's that will have the long term success relative to earlier ones. In my opinion some of the factors that will determine the success of the game are:

1) Originality: I've browsed the "will you renew your subscription" thread and a lot of the critiques are that a lot of people think it's far too similar to WoW and they want something new.

2) Re-playability: not much to elaborate beyond that. Is it worth playing again on alts or did you just play it from beginning to end with no interest in doing it again?

3) Subscription: When WoW came out the reason I didn't buy is wasn't that I wasn't interested in the game, it was because at the time I didn't have as much money to spend. When guild wars came out I picked that up and played it for quite a few years and plan on picking up guild wars 2 when it comes out, but if I had been playing WoW for as long as I've had GW installed my bank account would be about $600.00 lighter. Even now though I still log on to GW from time to time to catch up with people but definitely not often enough to pay a monthly fee for it.

4) Adding new things: I guess this is just a longer statement made in my first post but I think that giving players something refreshing will affect the probability of long term success. For example GW2 says they will do things like make every class have the ability to perform each roll. How this will ultimately work out I can't say but the fact that you can have a necromancer, elementalist and ranger, all of whom have the ability to perform the 3 roles needed (dps,heal,tank) means people can play what they like without "needing" a certain class to do things. Sure there will probably be situations where the style of doing a certain roll will be more effective than others (like direct healing/damage or dots/hots), more often than not you won't have as many people sitting in a town saying "LF [insert roll here] for whatever" for in some cases longer than it would take to do the instance.

Those are 4 things that come to mind at 5:20 AM when I'm making this post and the reason I'm using GW as a reference for comparison is that GW is the only other MMO I played a lot outside of WoW before this one. So in my opinion I don't think the genre itself will die off so long as the MMO's give players a reason to keep playing.

Edited by Rhata

There's never going to be another WoW. Players are too diverse and have too many options now. Developers will have to content themselves going after the larger niches, and aiming to create a good game that keeps 300K to 400K members long-term, like Eve or Rift.

I agree with this, and it's kind of funny because 300-400k subs is about what successful MMOs boasted pre-WoW.

Just wait until Blizzard unveils Titan. You will have your answer then.

I have a feeling they're going to go for a radical reinvention of the genre. All they've said so far is 1, it's a new I.P. (So not World of StarCraft or anything, as cool as that would have been) and 2, it'll be very different from current MMORPGs.

A lot of game systems in MMORPGs don't make a lot of sense and are counter productive when it comes to playing a game with other people (like leveling).

The genre also needs to be vastly simplified so it can finally and properly support PvP. When you have eight classes with dozens of abilities each, balancing the game becomes an impossibility. It's never going to happen. Someone needs to design an MMO with competition in mind (not the same as saying "we're going to have PvP"), then build the PvE framework up around that. Currently, it's done the other way around, and the results show it. I don't even care about PvP in MMORPGs, but at least do it right for those who do.

Edited by JustTed

Ofc, GW2 aint SWTOR where You dont meet anybody since everything is instanced.

GW2 will actually have the biggest mmo aspects from all mmos. No stealing mobs/loots. When You will see a player You will actually welcome it (with all the cross prof combos etc).

Anyway, I aint here to convince anybody. I think its worth looking into.

Plus base game mechanics are something devs cant lie about :p cause if it wont be in the game on launch, ppl just wont play it ;)

Well i'm definetly going to buy it, with f2p it's worth buying and trying it. I just don't see how it's going to change anything just now, i do hope is does though.

I will welcome any MMO that want to try something new. :)

And i thought with your first comment in the thread that you where just a crazy blind fanboi that comes in with a comment and then make a exit with no explanation, sorry :(

Edited by Voffi

To be honest , I don't WANT to be captivated to swtor or any other MMO for the rest of my life.

People are doomed with short lives, too. Isn't it a shame to spend too much of it playing?

Probably there is a deep flaw in the MMOs genre : the core idea is to spend many-many hours in an alternate virtual world (so that many-many money is cashed in ) . It's normal that at some point people get bored : it's not possible to keep up the pace with adding new content .

I'd say unlikely until developer studios start forming co-ops and getting more but SMALLER investors to both spread the load and mitigate investor tendencies to cut losses on extended non-paying projects. thus avoiding significant pressure to release early. Edited by BMBender

Just some examples:

In reality, hardly any MMOs die. As a matter of fact, the only one that comes to mind recently is Tabula Rasa. Even Vanguard, APB, Hellgate and other failures are still going or have been resurrected.

The problem is that the kind of investment that's being made in them can't be sustained. Very, VERY few studios are willing or able to invest $100 million plus chasing the "change" that it could be the next WoW.

Because of this, we see very little innovation in the genre, because those that DO invest that kind of money stick close to the WoW clone model, much as TOR has done.

There needs to be a watershed moment combined with tech that allows these games to be build much more quickly and more much less of an investment...

On the other side, MMOs like TOR and WoW will be a niche very soon. The social, casual side of things emerging from Facebook and bleeding over to AAA titles - like Blizzard's upcoming Titan - will be the new mainstream, and will dwarf the number of players currently available for these games. What will the revenue model be? No idea.

Anyway, yes... the big, large-dollar AAA MMO is probably over as we know it.