Are all MMO games doomed to die or can the tide be changed

pieteral

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread makes me sad for the mmo community as a whole.

The entire premise is flawed from the start.

After reading the entire thread a logical person can come to only one conclusion.

A large portion of players who play these games lack the critical thinking skills or the logic to even know what they want.

The only thing many of them do know how to do is complain about the things they don't like and to project their own desires on the genre as a whole.

Clearly there is too much sameness from one MMO to another.

I think that games need to be both more focused and more generalized. They need to stop trying to be everything to everyone.

If you're making a pvp-heavy game, then focus on making it excellent pvp, with pve as a side-game. Or make the reverse.

Get rid of classes. Leveling, in whatever form it exists in, should allow a player to pick any power from a power tier. You want to build a non-specialized healer/tank/dps, go ahead.

Make crafting interesting! Allow players to pick from a multitude of ingredients which each have a different potential effect on the outcome. Include randomness in the outcome.

Make drops more interesting. I think one of the things that made D2 a success was the possibility that a great item could drop from one of many sources. This, I think, is much more fun than "Only Boss XYZ drops item GHI"

Randomness should not be restricted to item drops. Have out of the way places where one day there might be nothing, then another a wandering merchant shows up with a wagon full of goodies to sell, or a ****** monster takes up residence and requires several players to take down, or a traveling circus comes to town, etc. Don't just have places to explore, have reasons to explore them

Make a themepark game with LOTS of sandbox elements. An good amusement park has many things to do in it; rides, games, prizes, shops, etc. If the players feel like killing stuff and leveling, fine. But offer them many other things to do that are also fun.

To make profit with 300k subs? In what 50 years?

You know that the game cost 300 mil dollars, right?

Your just pulling numbers out of your pocket.

not so sure about 50 years :)

2 million box sales about £40 each £80m

even if it drops today to 300k 10 quid x 300,000 x12 for 50 years.... too much for my 10 fingers :( but its alot

even if it drops today to 300k 10 quid x 300,000 x12 for 50 years.... too much for my 10 fingers :( but its alot

Ok You made Your point.

2 mil boxes for 40 = 80 mil. Which leaves 220 mil.

300k x 10 pounds a month x 12 months = 36 mil a year.

Which means 6 years. Which is still damn too long.

They just need to release a good, fun, WORKING game and stays consistent in that regard from start to finish (for the most part). TOR would be doing MUCH better now had they actually tested the game and killed the bugs efficiently and thought things through with the features and design instead of just "all we need is story story story."

Also, just ONCE id like to see an MMO that doesnt fall apart at end game. Ive yet to play one you cant tell from a mile away that the devs started slacking off on as you level up.

Too bad about that "my character is a spaceship" and more importantly, the ever widening gap of time-based skill advancement which reinforces the advantage of long-term players over fresh blood every single day. That's what has always kept me from playing EVE.

As a long term eve player that started in 2007 (4 years after release) I can tell you that this is false. By the time my character was two years old I had _all_ the skills I could possibly want that were related to minmatar cruisers and below maxed, and by the 3rd year that also included battleship, capitals and T2 ships. I quit last year, because I ran out of new stuff to train and fly, though I'd probably still be playing if my style of play wasn't constantly getting nerfed. :p

After the first year or so, any pilot that focuses on a single subset of ships can be (within a couple %) just as competent as an 8 years old character. The only thing an 8 years old character can do is also fly all other subsets of ships (because a lot of support skills are the same), rather than just one.

Edit: Not to mention, a pilot a week old in a frigate that has the correct fit can do a lot of damage already. Microwarp, warp scrambler and you have anything snagged for your friends to shoot at. Sure you'll lose a lot of ships, but with a ship costing ~200k you can afford to lose any amount as long as you loot a good mod from your kills once in a while.

Edited by Truga

Problem is that MMO gene is VERY young and still have lots of childish behaviors.

Yea, yea, there were some games called MMOs back ages ago too, but the history of actual MMO gene as we know it now exists since WoW. And as any fresh gene it struggles hardly with same crap:

- All games are in fact one game with different skins (this case: WoW) or focus more on one aspect than another (GW follows this path with it's PvP focus instead of PvE).

- MMOs mixing genes with other are relatively rare and almost all of them fail (only exception here being eve)

- It doesn't have almost any established sub-genes

- Gene community is blind for any innovations and tries to enforce it's own ways taken from most popular game of the kind (this community is best example, especially with texts like "voiceover is worth nothing, we want cross-server LFD!" or "storyline is worth nothing when there's no endgame content!")

- Gene still is very niche, focused around specific group of players (TOR being first exception from this, although looking at the direction of changes - it won't be for long)

- Every game of the gene struggles against one big player. There's no diverse open market.

So IMO all MMO games will stop being doomed from the start when MMOs start to evolve, and open to new things instead of holding wow's skirt and trying to catch whatever falls down from big table.

Yea, there are some "innovations" and slow progress, but it's still everything the same with no breakthroughs. All the other genes, even sport games, have this phase long behind them, yet here we struggle.

Not sure if troll or serious....

MMORPG's as a whole are all dying off (FACT). The idea was great 15 years ago (FACT). But not much has changed and 80% of the player base who play them are bored(OPINION).

I mean look at this game for instance. It is a little kiddy clone of WOW (FACT). In other words its the same ole same ole over and over and over again. I call that boring (OPINION).

Everyone will level up and get bored (EXADURATED OPINION). A new MMORPG will be released again and everyone will leave here chasing the next flavor of the month (EXADURATED OPINION).

I think the whole entire MMORPG is a dying trend (FACT BASED ON CURRENT FINANCIAL DATA). This game is a perfect example. It has only been out 7 weeks and already a mass exodus has taken place because mostly people are bored with it (OPINION BASED ON FORUMS AND PEOPLE I KNOW).

Just my opinion backed up by some facts.(QFE "SOME FACTS")

Have a great day!

It looks like all new MMO's that are hitting the market are all doomed to live short lives.

What do you feel could change the tide? What would keep you captivated to swtor for the rest of your life?

I don't mean things like fix bugs, dual spec, frame rate issues, add ons, a thousand more etc ... but what is the innovative touch that can give MMO a decade life spam.

Just some examples:

Should it become a true social network, creating a facebook environment inside swtor, allowing to do all the cool things you can do in facebook.

or what about having your desktop incorporated inside swtor allowing you to browse, email, skype, etc ... do all the cool things you do on your computer but then inside the Galaxy

To many people expect a new game to be equal to a game thats been out seven years, and thats just not going to happen at launch with any game, Instant gratification generation, wants it's all and wants it now.. sad it is..:( Part of the fun is growing with your mmo as it grows, at least for me..

[quote=Riddickcz;2885320

No holy trinity, there will be no dedicated tank/healer/dps.

/QUOTE]

I hate it when people say this.

There ARE tanks, healers, and dps in GW2

The major difference is every class can be ONE of the 3.

Do you really think that an organized guild is going to go in and say "everyone just do what you want".

NO

They will designate tanks/OTs, healers/OH, and dps.

Don't fall for that marketing scheme.

1.) the $300m are probably closer to $150-$250m

2.) depending on how it was financed the costs don't have to be necessarily recouped via SW:TOR subs/sales alone. Plus part of them may already have been earned back through other sources over the years.

[quote=Riddickcz;2885320

No holy trinity, there will be no dedicated tank/healer/dps.

/QUOTE]

I hate it when people say this.

There ARE tanks, healers, and dps in GW2

The major difference is every class can be ONE of the 3.

Do you really think that an organized guild is going to go in and say "everyone just do what you want".

NO

They will designate tanks/OTs, healers/OH, and dps.

Don't fall for that marketing scheme.

Wrong, every class is all of those things, go read up on the information before you embarrass yourself further. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1078544-GW2-official-Blogpost-about-the-Holy-Trinity-must-read

Edited by VladMorbius

MMORPG's as a whole are all dying off (FACT). The idea was great 15 years ago (FACT). But not much has changed and 80% of the player base who play them are bored(OPINION).

I mean look at this game for instance. It is a little kiddy clone of WOW (FACT). In other words its the same ole same ole over and over and over again. I call that boring (OPINION).

Everyone will level up and get bored (EXADURATED OPINION). A new MMORPG will be released again and everyone will leave here chasing the next flavor of the month (EXADURATED OPINION).

I think the whole entire MMORPG is a dying trend (FACT BASED ON CURRENT FINANCIAL DATA). This game is a perfect example. It has only been out 7 weeks and already a mass exodus has taken place because mostly people are bored with it (OPINION BASED ON FORUMS AND PEOPLE I KNOW).

Just my opinion backed up by some facts.(QFE "SOME FACTS")

Have a great day!

When posting "facts" please do some effort in backing those "facts" up. Do you honestly expect anyone here to belive your "facts" without presenting some evidence? Also, you are mixing facts with opinions, an idea beeing great or not is an opinion, not a fact.

I believe the reason mmorpg's are sorta dying is because these massive and expensive products have strayed to far from what was the solid foundation that actually makes up a mmorpg.

These online products are more of a game than a actual world simulator and we can go on and on about themepark vs sandbox. I really think people want to be part of a living and breathing world, be it a Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other one.

Some time back, there was a comment made, why do people want to be a moisture farmer or just sit out in the middle of no where under a tent and do nothing in a Star Wars world. These type of answers are what is wrong with mmorpg's today.

Don't get me wrong, i love this mmo. But i also see that it could have been so much more. I turned 50 a few weeks back and my time playing has been decreased dramatically. It's not because of the bugs and some technical issues, every mmo has that and you just work around them till they get fixed. It's because there's not enough to do outside of combat. Once you find all the datacrons and have explored every planet, there's not much left but to grind dailies and that gets old very quickly.

I have always thought that, if TOR would have incorporated not the exact same but improved systems that were like SWG pre-cu, and added the personal story content with it's voice acting and cut scenes, it would have been a much fuller mmorpg.

I guess to make a longer post shorter, Since a lot of the devs on TOR came from SWG, they should have took the best systems form it and added them into the other systems that TOR has. You would have had a mmorpg that not only had great combat and personal story but would have had many other things to do outside of combat. In other words, you would have had the fighters and moisture farmers both inhabiting the galaxy.

Wrong, every class is all of those things, go read up on the information before you embarrass yourself further.

You did not comprehend what I said.

I did state every class can be one of those things (but they can't do it all at once), thus organized guilds will designate who does what.

You two will tank first, then you two will swap.

etc...

/sigh

Edited by Azzras

When posting "facts" please do some effort in backing those "facts" up. Do you honestly expect anyone here to belive your "facts" without presenting some evidence? Also, you are mixing facts with opinions, an idea beeing great or not is an opinion, not a fact.

I did not know StarWars games were that serious.

Population =/= revenue.

Turbine: LotRO revenue tripled since going F2P.

"Going F2P is fail!"

This is nonsense children say. It's also simply, empirically false. Stop.

Take off the blinders.

They tripled revenue, of a dying game. Tripled to what equals just a FRACTION of their original hopes and revenue goals as a subscription model.

Fact.

Take off the blinders.

They tripled revenue, of a dying game. Tripled to what equals just a FRACTION of their original hopes and revenue goals as a subscription model.

Fact.

Please cite your information before stating it as fact.