Are all MMO games doomed to die or can the tide be changed

pieteral

Well i'm definetly going to buy it, with f2p it's worth buying and trying it. I just don't see how it's going to change anything just now, i do hope is does though.

I will welcome any MMO that want to try something new. :)

Yea we have to wait for 20th this month when NDA falls down and press that was allowed to test the game in past two weeks will be able to make tons and tons of reviews etc.

But Yea, I dont expect everyone liking it. The combat is fast and dynamic, avoiding spells and arrows etc. I know now that this game wont be for my GF who likes to stand with her mage and just spam abilities. She will die in few seconds there.

Underwater combat, so many ppl dont like working with Z axis and there is quite a lot of content under water in gw2.

No holy trinity, there will be no dedicated tank/healer/dps.

There are so many new things to the genre that ArenaNet is bringing with GW2, that some ppl will love it and some ppl will hate it. For me it looks I will love it, but have to wait to actually get my hands on the game.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest , I don't WANT to be captivated to swtor or any other MMO for the rest of my life.

People are doomed with short lives, too. Isn't it a shame to spend too much of it playing?

Probably there is a deep flaw in the MMOs genre : the core idea is to spend many-many hours in an alternate virtual world (so that many-many money is cashed in ) . It's normal that at some point people get bored : it's not possible to keep up the pace with adding new content .

MMOs are designed to be consumed more as a hobby than a video game. That is both the draw and one of the problems.

I am waiting on GW2 to, but to say it's doing anything NEW is a joke. There is nothing new in GW2 just old ideas rehashed and thats the problem with MMO market.

A revision to the "holy trinity" system with weapons directly affecting role and being switchable in combat, dynamic world content to get involved in or not in place of traditional questing mechanics... maybe not brand new ideas in a strict sense, but refreshing enough for a high-end MMO to incorporate them. It's still a lot bolder than SW:TOR in terms of its design approach.

Ofc, GW2 aint SWTOR where You dont meet anybody since everything is instanced.

GW2 will actually have the biggest mmo aspects from all mmos. No stealing mobs/loots. When You will see a player You will actually welcome it (with all the cross prof combos etc).

Anyway, I aint here to convince anybody. I think its worth looking into.

Plus base game mechanics are something devs cant lie about :p cause if it wont be in the game on launch, ppl just wont play it ;)

Every time I read something about GW2 I want to play it. Then I hit youtube and every single time the want changes to do not want.

Until we get a new MMO that doesn't have factions (holy crap what a dumb mechanic) and proper world PVP I'll stick to EVE for the MMO part of gaming. SWTOR, however, does have fun PVE, and the stories are OK.

Edited by Truga

You can't enlighten us, can you?

All we know about the game right now is what the developer told us, they always make it sound better than it is.

And i hope you can be in the same zone as player outside your party in GW2 (MMO?)

GW2 is open world, nothing like GW1.

I actually can't think of many MMO's that have truely "died".

Nearly all the ones launched are still going, even some of the earliest ones.

SoE seem to be the only people who shut MMO's down (Matrix Online, SWG etc), but EQ1 is still going, DAoC still runs etc and they were some of the earlier ones to launch.

Yes many have gone F2P, or potter along with small subs, but they are mostly all still there.....

Yes many have gone F2P, or potter along with small subs, but they are mostly all still there.....

Why is going F2P bad? Most games that do go "F2P" (which is basically pay however much you want to pay or grind your *** off if you pay nothing) get much more revenue, mostly due to the suddenly larger playerbase.

People here keep picturing F2P as if it was a bad thing, when it is in fact the opposite.

I think only one type of MMO can remove WoW from its throne, one of not being another WoW.

This is correct.

Edited by Truga

Why is going F2P bad? Most games that do go "F2P" (which is basically pay however much you want to pay or grind your *** off if you pay nothing) get much more revenue, mostly due to the suddenly larger playerbase.

People here keep picturing F2P as if it was a bad thing, when it is in fact the opposite.

Being a F2P isn't a bad business model if you launch that way, but changing over to it means it clearly wasn't good enough to compete and warrant a subscription, which was their original business model.

Until we get a new MMO that doesn't have factions (holy crap what a dumb mechanic) and proper world PVP I'll stick to EVE for the MMO part of gaming. SWTOR, however, does have fun PVE, and the stories are OK.

You know that GW2 doesnt have factions, right?

It looks like all new MMO's that are hitting the market are all doomed to live short lives.

Thats simply because they are not designed for the long term play.

They hear some posters make mass untrue generalizations about how casuals are mindless unskilled players who need everything fast, easy and sloopy. So they make games for those vocal minorities.

And the game dies as the mass majority of players tear through the content in weeks, get bored, cancel!

Thats why the recent MMORPGs have short lives.

See the vocal minorities like to use key words like grind, time sink, ect

but its all just senseless flapping of the lips.

The genre will change when some brilliant designer simply takes a look at the entire history of MMORPGs (from 1991 on) and sees what worked where and why.

Prior to WOW there was one common ideal, players dedictated themselves to ACHEIVE and OBTAIN GOALS. It might have been max level, might have been epic armor. What ever.

There was always a virtual carrot just ahead of the player making them invested in obtaining and acheiveing their goals in game.

Sometimes a goal was just to hard (Like maxing out in original EQ for many because of level curve) so those players changed their goals to something more obtainable.

Point is they continued playing because they were working towards something.

Since WOW there has been this new age Politically Correct BS mumble jumble that everyone should have everything at the same time (or with in a few weeks of each other).

Thats just nonsense, gaming is like anything else in life, the more you do it, the better you get!

2 people are born with same level of ability at a sport.

Both love the sport so when they playing it, its not work

One player trains happily for 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 years

Other player who has same exact skill set at start trains happily for1 hour a day 5 days a week because hes got other obligations.

BOTH want to be in the major leagues of sport

in 10 years time player A will have eclipsed player B despite them being equal (level 1) at the start.

The one that trained for hours and hours and hours a day grew more powerfull, got more knowledgeable, advanced farther over the 10 years

The other that trained 1 hour a day 5 dyas a week grew slower, was not as knowledgable, advanced far less, but had a family and another job and ect to show for it.

THATS LIFE, and thats gaming.

Or at least it was

See prior to WOW,

90% of the player Bs would say "congrats Player A, you had more time to dedicate to it but I have this this and this to show for my time so im happy and content with my life and I enjoyed the time I was in game and thats all that mattered"

When WOW hit the market it became

Player B says :"Player A sucks because he has no life and no responsibilitioes and is a loser at life and the developer should just give me everything so im equal to player A because I cant spend hours and hours and we pay same money so its my right to see end game in same time frame (not hours played but real time frame) as player A"

And WOW allowed it and it became the norm design.

Now people getting bored with their games being limited because they have a hour or 2 or 10 more then player b and its starting to show.

WOW is losing subs and other games are short term life games.

Eventually some brilliant developer will say "hmmm I have this idea of looking at what made the older games so much better for all players?"

The tide can change.

All it will take is some who wants to make a quality MMORPG that lasts for 10 years rather then a "hopefully" popular MMORPG that turns around and dies in 12 month cycles.

PS: GW2, Arch Age, secret World, none of them are the game to break the cycle. If someone banking on GW2 to be the answer, they clearly dont understand the problem.

Edited by Kalfear

Being a F2P isn't a bad business model if you launch that way, but changing over to it means it clearly wasn't good enough to compete and warrant a subscription, which was their original business model.

What does "good enough to warrant a subscription" have anything to do with it being F2P instead, and raking in more cash than by having a subscription. Being good enough or not has nothing to do with the fact that F2P is just plain and simple more cash if you do it right, changing over or not.

Ed: It boggles my mind that WoW hasn't gone f2p yet. They're already selling mounts by the millions, having another 20 million people cash in wouldn't be bad for them at all...

You know that GW2 doesnt have factions, right?

It also doesn't have proper world PVP.

Edited by Truga

A single shard for all players, a sandbox similar to EVE Online with a myriad of ingame activities, massive player driven economy, wars over economic resources and a combat system similar to console fighting games.

That would keep me busy for a very very long time.

i think a sinlge shard at lest at the start of the game would been pure chaos and stunted any lvling for a while. can you see 1000s of poeple doing teh " find x poeple" quest and there only around 10 of them standing around.

now i'm for being selective of the sharding, more at the starting loccations and slowly tappering off so giving poeple time to spread out some. like hutta,korr and Kass, keep them sharder wall. after wrolds let up since now poeple can go were they want.

Thats simply because they are not designed for the long term play.

PS: GW2, Arch Age, secret World, none of them are the game to break the cycle. If someone Banking on GW2 to be the answer, they clearly dont understand the problem.

This huge post basically says "MMOs need to go back to being hardcore time sinks," is that it?

This huge post basically says "MMOs need to go back to being hardcore time sinks," is that it?
If they pick the right time sinks and can dress them well, sure.

It's not like TOR is free of time sinks; actually, it feels even more like a time sink to me than previous MMOs have because everything is so damn easy.

A revision to the "holy trinity" system with weapons directly affecting role and being switchable in combat, dynamic world content to get involved in or not in place of traditional questing mechanics... maybe not brand new ideas in a strict sense, but refreshing enough for a high-end MMO to incorporate them. It's still a lot bolder than SW:TOR in terms of its design approach.

The biggest problem of GW2 is Guild Wars... Many people think that "2" is similar to "1"(fully instanced), while it is not the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs&ob=av3e

The reason modern MMO's are "doomed" is because of the players. Theyre expecting a fully polished completely bug free game on release.

That will never happen.

You couldn't be more wrong, I think. This is fanboyish nonsense that misses the point of most complaints, preferring to blame the player rather than look at the quality and consistency of the gameplay experience.

Theres an old saying "you can never go home again". My original MMO was Everquest I still remember the magic i felt when first exploring that World and my first raid in Kael Drakkel. I enjoyed WoW for a time but it always felt lacking to me and felt like it lacked the magic of EQ. For many WoW was their first MMO and now years later I think people were seeking to find that feeling again and finding like me that you cannot recapture it. That first love always feels the strongest and most special. I am enjoying SWTOR very much but it lacks that old time feeling and so has any mmo I have played since EQ, perhaps this is what people are finding that no matter what the mmo is it will never be the same. You realize the quests, story lines and animations may be different but it is all the same game you have already played for years.