Incoming changes to global cooldown UI Blog Discussion

JovethGonzalez

While I'm completely satisfied, and still puzzled by all the gripes about the current UI, these changes look phenomenal. Kudos for all your hard work and listening to the troubled portion of the player base. You can't please everyone, but that looks like an *** load of customizability for the majority.

Edit: I play on a 27" LED screen at max res (with screen brightness to medium-high) but also rarely look at my cooldowns because I like mashing my keypad controls. This could be an explanation for why I rarely notice the flashing.

Edited by SithIntraining

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be on the safe side:

We will have the option that we can deactivate the GCD animation at all, right?

No need to see 30 animations due to the fact that I press 1 button!

One of the most feedback was to revert the change to avoid two things:

1. GCD animation at almost every button on the same time

2. Flash animation at almost every button on end of 1

Please confirm.

These changes are amazing!

I would like to express my thanks to the community team, the developers and whoever else is involved in this whole process of player feedback -> game improvements. As someone who has been working in both customer relations and software development for some time I'd like to say:

The community team is doing a horribly stressful job (I believe) and they're doing it well (I know). High-priority issues are found amidst the sea of whining and brought to the dev team's attention very quickly. I really appreciate your hard work, guys.

The dev team is doing a horribly stressful job (I believe) and they're doing it well (I know). They are working on an immensely complicated application with tons of bugs (normal for a product that size, which has been released too soon), something which I know can be very frustrating. Still, they manage to churn out at least one minor patch a week, producing a constant and steady stream of improvements to the game. I really appreciate your hard work, guys.

Together, you prioritize tremendously well and, as the case of the GDC UI changes shows, keep not just fixing stuff, but improving it. I would like to formally request a big pack of cookies to be provided to all these hard-working people.

AS far as I know (read somewhere) the scalability is coming. In patch 1.2. March.

They dont care they'll whine and moan regardless. They need something to occupy their time since they aren't actually playing the game lol >.>

But I love this actually. Another nice tiny bit of polish to add on to the game. And this is the first game I've personally seen have a customizable "Cooldown" appearance.

Just to be on the safe side:

We will have the option that we can deactivate the GCD animation at all, right?

No need to see 30 animations due to the fact that I press 1 button!

One of the most feedback was to revert the change to avoid two things:

1. GCD animation at almost every button on the same time

2. Flash animation at almost every button on end of 1

Please confirm.

What I see from the current options, the global cooldown will always be displayed on all buttons affected by it. It has been since the game launched and if it were not displayed, you'd see abilities as "ready" which are not ready.

You will get the option to deactivate the "flash" at the end of the animation, so that it's just the bar moving down. You will also get to choose between two different kinds of GCD bars, a brighter, more obvious one and a darker, more subtle one.

Removing the GCD animation altogether might make for an optional choice for people (like me) who mash buttons anyway, not really looking at the animation, but that wasn't really the issue people were having with the previous/current system.

nice changes.

Really like the text timer overlay. Looks like its going to be VERY useful.

Flash toggle ...nice.

I Would still like to see a 3 tier setup on the cooldowns.

Fully illuminated- ready for use

33% dimmed - GCD

66% dimmed - ability on CD

And of course allow those values to be adjusted.

So far i like the look of these changes and i'm really looking forward to it. I think it is great that we will now have more options to set it in a way that fit us.

However i am somewhat disappointed with the fact, that this will not be in before 1.1.4 - this concidering the people getting physically ill from the current UI. There are people who are not able to play the game as it looks today, and I could definitely live with an extra downtime to implement the changes sooner (like you've done with the PVP fixes), just to make sure that those getting sick, wouldnt have to wait.

Looks like it'll probably be an improvement that'd make the game playable for me again, although obviously I'll reserve judgement until I see it on PTR.

An option to completely disable or change the opacity of the GCD line would be extremely nice.

Even on dark/dark it's quite a forthright effect, and one which is largely unnecessary extra information to process for those of us who're already used to subconsciously synchronising with a GCD. What information we choose to leave out of our personalised UI is as important to our information processing ability as what we include imo.

I suspect being able to turn off the flash + dark overlay effects will be enough that the rapid contrast changing no longer affects me personally though. The more I've thought about it, the more I've grown reasonably confident that it was regularly glancing over the rapid & constant light/dark contrast changes that was bothering me.

Oh, and I'm particularly pleased to be getting numerical ability CDs. Hopefully we'll be able to look forward to something similar for buffs/debuffs in the near future too? ;)

GJ tho, wish it was quicker - two weeks of no swtor combat is boring lol - but I can see why it hasn't come out as quickly as I'd hoped.

Edited by Lakhesis

Just want to say that this looks awesome and I can't wait until it's implemented :)

Obviously you'll never please everyone (and boy would the world be dull if we all agreed), but at least this way everyone has a number of choices, including leaving it how it is....