64 bit client

Facadas

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This makes sense. But since this game took so long to be developed either their graphic engine is old (that does not support high amounts of players on a PVP match) and their system interface that is still 32 bits. Please don't take me wrong, I really love this game, but I don't think they are giving love to it. This game belong to Bioware/EA, now imagine how this game would look with FROSTBITE 3 engine.

i dont understand why 32bit OSs are made still...

64bit should just be the standard by now.

You have no idea.

This is the typical nerd answer. "I don't understand why no-one already has the newest technology in use."

You just don't know how many smaller business firms, doctors, laboratories and what not even still use 16 Bit software ... Not to even mention DOS software ...

Good luck if you try to port those databases into new software - and good luck with writing this new software in the first place ...

THe word "incompatibility" is an totally alien language word to you, isn't it ?

I am Paying for a service bioware your service is not giving what I am paying for you gurenteed a good playing experience my game crashing because of your patches and your failure are not a good gaming experience and you loose money eveey day because we hold up our side of the bargain while you sit on your asses I cant even buy things on swtor sight because of your bad systems im offering money and you wont take it ffs do everyuone a favour and get your **** together before Disney desides your not worth the trouble.:mad:

Although I would love to have a 64-bit version, according to the following posts on various forums, the Hero Engine which Swtor uses is a modified version of the Alpha version of the Hero Engine, which does not have 64-bit support.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4605591#4605591

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/35031-reasons-why-swtor-will-be-f2p-in-6-mos

and a old thread on this forum as well...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=131110

Well that's kind of a bummer then, isn't it.... Thank you, Bioware! Thank you for shooting yourself in the foot... again.

I am Paying for a service bioware your service is not giving what I am paying for you gurenteed a good playing experience my game crashing because of your patches and your failure are not a good gaming experience and you loose money eveey day because we hold up our side of the bargain while you sit on your asses I cant even buy things on swtor sight because of your bad systems im offering money and you wont take it ffs do everyone a favour and get your **** together before Disney desides your not worth the trouble.:mad:

Indeed, we do pay for "good gaming experience" and in this case the 64-bit option is the better way to go these day's in gaming.

Especially when you are such a large corporation.

/Signed

PS: Keep the good work up!

Edited by ZWGZmaster

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Maybe this has been suggested already i didn't find it on search so here it goes!

Are there any plans for a 64 bit client? The reason why i'm asking this is, SWTOR requires a huge amount of RAM (more then what a 32 bit application may use), and that's why there is always 2 processes running.

What could be the advantages?

- People with 64 bit Operating Systems (i'm one of them), could use their full memory without additional tricks!

- The game it self would be faster, since it wouldn't need those 2 process and underling communication mechanisms.

With the growing demands of games, 64 bit clients must be used whenever possible! Failing to do so is putting a serious stop to permanence and scalability of a game (or any other application).

Now i know this is no small thing, depending on how you do it, it can be hard or very hard so that's why i asked if this is even being considered (it should though).

+1 VOTE, it still amazes me that swtor has no 64bit client ?! seriously !! FIX that pronto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Jesus Christ, please , just give us 64 bit client.I have a laptop on which i can play Skyrim on Ultra, Battlefield 4 on low with no fps loss while playing multiplayer, many new games at low/mid , but when i play SW:ToR i can't play operations/ warzones without HUGE fps loss.Playing a warzone on 9-15 fps or operation is just not funny.My laptop can't use all of it's potential because of this stupid 32 client restriction.

64 bit client with same engine and DirectX version will give you NOTHING.

Of course there will be 1 process not 2, some more things in RAM and no DiscCasheArena needed, but that would be all...

How much of other games you play (and behave better on your PCs) are actually 64 bit programs and how much of them rely on old engine and 3D system?

This is new trend (64 bit gaming) that works with new engines and 3D systems (DX, D3D & so on)... not with 5 years old ones.

I would much more like engine swap and DX10/11 option than wasted 64 bit client over old ones.

Can you even buy 32-bit systems nowadays? Aren't all new systems 64-bit??

you can't even buy a 32 bit system any more so true and if you build your own you would have a very hard time finding some one that's sells 32 bit CPU's , beside why would anyone want one any way these days.

What gets me is thu is how the PC making still insist on loading win 8 /8.1 as 32 OS on a PC that has 6 to 8 gib

OF Ram thy give you the option of a 64 bit load if you ask for it .

I read some place MS is thinking of making win 9 64 and 128 only but i don't see how but maybe .

64 bit client with same engine and DirectX version will give you NOTHING.

Of course there will be 1 process not 2, some more things in RAM and no DiscCasheArena needed, but that would be all...

How much of other games you play (and behave better on your PCs) are actually 64 bit programs and how much of them rely on old engine and 3D system?

This is new trend (64 bit gaming) that works with new engines and 3D systems (DX, D3D & so on)... not with 5 years old ones.

I would much more like engine swap and DX10/11 option than wasted 64 bit client over old ones.

Not sure you understand how 64 bit works.. however some of these people think 64 bit would fix issues it would not.

It could add ~10% performance boost in CPU limited areas of the game (pretty much all cases), this is mostly due to 64 bit allowing the compiler to optimize code better, 32 bit is emulated under 64 bit Windows too but this overhead is probably fewer than a 1% performance loss. Probably the main reason this game and many others aren't using 64 bit is because the memory usage would increase (, the significance of this would be most likely be very little though, < 1MB increase) .

You might want look at how the DiskCacheArena file is used and you will see it is only used during loading screens and will not offer you a performance boost from that just being in memory.

It's too late (and was for many years before release of the game) to swap engines. It would be nice to get a DX11 renderer as it's more efficient than DX9 on the CPU.

Bioware probably don't think the increased QA costs are worth it and they have other things to pursue that could increase the performance by a more significant margin without adding more costs.

I would fully support a 64 bit client though. The last time 32 bit CPUs shipped for desktops was in early 2004 and they wouldn't be unable to play this game.

I read some place MS is thinking of making win 9 64 and 128 only but i don't see how but maybe .

No such thing or need for a 128 bit processor or OS currently.

Edited by MarsherMeow

I would sign, but leave in an option for 32bit, for those of us stubborn gamers who prefer XP's compatability on older games.

(7 Really sucks for that...)

Well usually not a big problem since most of those games one can get at GoG with compatibility for win 7 64-bit there, for a minor sum of money. Going back on topic I would appreciate a 64-bit client to. Edited by Barzarel

I would sign, but leave in an option for 32bit, for those of us stubborn gamers who prefer XP's compatability on older games.

(7 Really sucks for that...)

They could get a bigger increase in performance than you would with a 64 bit client out of the game by simply compiling the game with VS2012 than 2008 but this would require them to drop XP support.

• 2 weeks later...