64 bit client

Facadas

Hello,

Maybe this has been suggested already i didn't find it on search so here it goes!

Are there any plans for a 64 bit client? The reason why i'm asking this is, SWTOR requires a huge amount of RAM (more then what a 32 bit application may use), and that's why there is always 2 processes running.

What could be the advantages?

- People with 64 bit Operating Systems (i'm one of them), could use their full memory without additional tricks!

- The game it self would be faster, since it wouldn't need those 2 process and underling communication mechanisms.

With the growing demands of games, 64 bit clients must be used whenever possible! Failing to do so is putting a serious stop to permanence and scalability of a game (or any other application).

Now i know this is no small thing, depending on how you do it, it can be hard or very hard so that's why i asked if this is even being considered (it should though).

What are teh tricks to using as much memory. I have 32GB, I do use other processes that enables me to use it, but for SWTOR, it is merely using SWTOR unleashed to load into RAMDisk (which seems pointless for me as I have an SSD and it flies off that).

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be curious if anyone would know the complexities of developing a 64bit client. Performance of a game and the number of frames per second is in someways not tied to the Bus width available for the game or processor. In reality, Windows uses I think 44bits for bus width, which sure, gives 16TB as opposed to 18EB (yes, Exabytes). 8TB for Windows and 8TB for application private working set.

Is it possible, maybe, but more could be loaded in memory, which would help increase performance but for Windows, if you don't have the physical RAM it is going to go to disk, this is then slow, 6GB, 8GB systems will still hit performance bottlenecks.

I am all for a 64 bit client but it isn't as easy as selecting, compile for 64bit, which I am sure a lot of people think it is. So keep bumping this and hope they will.

Although I would love to have a 64-bit version, according to the following posts on various forums, the Hero Engine which Swtor uses is a modified version of the Alpha version of the Hero Engine, which does not have 64-bit support.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4605591#4605591

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/35031-reasons-why-swtor-will-be-f2p-in-6-mos

and a old thread on this forum as well...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=131110

• 2 weeks later...

YES I would love to see a 64 bit client!!!

Along with that, Bioware needs to fix how the client decompresses and reads the art files so FPS does not pause while the client scrambles to render an image. We have 8 art dynamic files that must be decompressed and read from the HD for each person on your screen. With every visual option and new piece of armor, the files get larger and accessing them to render an image takes longer. No matter what level of detail your graphics are set for, the same files must be accessed and read.

I understand that this is what makes the client playable on older 32 bit systems, which was understandable years ago, but the number of people with 64 bit systems now far outnumbers 32 bit users.

I, for one, built a high end, not top of the line but very good, gaming system to play this game, and seeing single digit FPS on a regular basis now, it is not only un enjoyable, but almost unplayable.

SOLVING THIS NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY!!!

BIOWARE needs to fix this, or start losing players!

My opinion is: Make the current 32 bit client not only usable for 32 bit users, but optimized for 32 bit users, and not try to give 32 bit users the same graphic detail as 62, so you can make the art files smaller and faster to read so 32 bit users do not suffer low performance.

Create a 64 bit client, with more detailed visuals than the 32 bit system and capable of using 64 bit hardware to improve performance.

I know this means work for the development team, but if you want people to play the game, then you need to make it playable!

I can't support this idea - it's a significant chunk of dev and qa resources for minimal benefit.

Yeah... your right. If they have to hire more people to improve the game that means EA doesn't make as much profit. Are you serious? Are you a lazy employee for Bioware, a greedy CEO, or a freaking retard?

But yes any obvious improvement is a good thing.

Edited by chriscshunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...