64 bit client

Facadas

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE FUTURE of the WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM is basically or practically DEMANDING a SOON END to ALL 32-bit apps.... Read this quote about Microsoft's next operating system, Windows 10-X aka "Polaris"....

"There’s even talk of Win32 app functionality being removed, making it so anything not built using Microsoft’s UWP wouldn’t function."

( From https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-windows-polaris/ )

So now what??? SWTOR is ONLY 32-bit .... so they better start thinking of something FAST (i know this will take more years yet but we are near the end of this 32-bit ERA!!!! We might even have 128-bit CPU computing soon!!!! Though many tech websites deny that ... https://www.google.com/search?q=128-bit+cpu&oq=128-bit+cpu )

DEVS BETTER EXTEND THE LIFE OF THIS GAME ..... i dont want to miss it that bad

Maybe. It depends on how it obtains the date and time. If it asks Windows using functions in the C or C++ standard libraries, it will have problems with Y2038.

If it asks Windows using direct calls to the Windows API, then it won't have problems until ... er ... a long time in the future. The "Windows NT epoch" is 1 January 1601 (Gregorian calendar), and Windows system time is expressed as a 64-bit number of ten-millionths of a second since then, so its equivalent of the Y2038 won't expire for another 58000 years.

EDIT: and the Y2038 problem is a *software* problem rather than a hardware problem.

yeah ok ALL THAT BEING SAID, STANDARD PC BIOS "epoch" time HAS NOT CHANGED as being an iteration since 1970 !!!! AND THAT is why we have Y2K38 "soon".

THE FUTURE of the WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM is basically or practically DEMANDING a SOON END to ALL 32-bit apps.... Read this quote about Microsoft's next operating system, Windows 10-X aka "Polaris"....

( From https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-windows-polaris/ )

That article is purposeless speculative blither.

So now what??? SWTOR is ONLY 32-bit .... so they better start thinking of something FAST (i know this will take more years yet but we are near the end of this 32-bit ERA!!!! We might even have 128-bit CPU computing soon!!!! Though many tech websites deny that ... https://www.google.com/search?q=128-bit+cpu&oq=128-bit+cpu )

DEVS BETTER EXTEND THE LIFE OF THIS GAME ..... i dont want to miss it that bad

No. Win32 is the name of an API and the "32" in there has *exactly* nothing to do with the 32-bit versus 64-bit jibber-jabber. 64-bit Windows applications can be written to use the 64-bit version of the Win32 API.(1) Yes, that's a thing.

I read somewhere that in theory, it would be possible to build a 16-bit version of Win32, although the writer who said so *did* acknowledge that such an undertaking would be largely pointless.

The distinction between Win32 and UWP is entirely separate, and the blither in the article is essentially meaningless.

(1) I've done it myself.

yeah ok ALL THAT BEING SAID, STANDARD PC BIOS "epoch" time HAS NOT CHANGED as being an iteration since 1970 !!!! AND THAT is why we have Y2K38 "soon".

No. Just no.

The 1970 thing is the *UNIX* epoch, and is totally unrelated to anything involving the PC BIOS (which hasn't been relevant, as such, for a decade or so now, and didn't exist before 1981). The PC BIOS concept was abandonded some years back in favour of a thing called UEFI, the Universal Extended Firmware Interface. I did a little digging - the UEFI call to get the current date-and-time returns a structure with a year number that goes up to 9999.

So no, there's no risk of Y2K38 with the modern successor of the BIOS.

• 11 months later...

My 64 bit system works just fine running a 32 bit program shrugs.

The fancier you make it, the more that can wrong with it.

My only glitch is just the server dropping periodically (boss fight at times), that gets my nerves edgy.

My 64 bit system works just fine running a 32 bit program shrugs.

That's true of just about everyone who ever posted on this thread.

The fancier you make it, the more that can wrong with it.

True, but not really relevant. The difference between a 32-bit program and a 64-bit program is not a question of fanciness. Indeed, in some cases (SWTOR is probably one of them), it may even make things simpler to switch to 64-bit, because the handwaving that SWTOR does to get around the fact that it is a 32-bit program (and therefore limited to 2GB of usable address space) is substantial, and could be got rid of.

I'd be OK with an Option for both, STO / Neverwinter moved over to only 64 bit 2+ years ago.

The difference between a 32-bit program and a 64-bit program is not a question of fanciness. Indeed, in some cases (SWTOR is probably one of them), it may even make things simpler to switch to 64-bit, because the handwaving that SWTOR does to get around the fact that it is a 32-bit program (and therefore limited to 2GB of usable address space) is substantial, and could be got rid of.

Though they could always have option for BOTH if they wanted. 32-bit Client be more limited in the Memory it could utilize if they only had a 32-bit OS; yet for those with 64-bit OS with 8, 16, or even 32gb Memory it make better use of resources.

Then those who still run 32-bit OS wouldn't be left out.

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar

I'd be OK with an Option for both, STO / Neverwinter moved over to only 64 bit 2+ years ago.

So did GW2.

Though they could always have option for BOTH if they wanted. 32-bit Client be more limited in the Memory it could utilize if they only had a 32-bit OS; yet for those with 64-bit OS with 8, 16, or even 32gb Memory it make better use of resources.

Then those who still run 32-bit OS wouldn't be left out.

Are there really enough people still using 32-bit machines for that to matter? And who has less than 8GB these days?

Are there really enough people still using 32-bit machines for that to matter? And who has less than 8GB these days?

The SWTOR should be able to collect information on how many users are running 32-bit OS and how many have 8GB RAM or less and other system information. So, BW knows or has the capability to know.

• 1 year later...

i find it totally amazing that it took us a FULL 11 YEARS since between the very first post here, and the PTS finally going REAL 64-bit!!!!!!!!

yes this post thread was started 11 years ago and it took them THAT LONG!!!!!!!

and yet, when it was announced, it was lightning fast that anyone could finally go jump on PTS and test it all.  Just like that.   Huh.

5 hours ago, lightningseven said:

i find it totally amazing that it took us a FULL 11 YEARS since between the very first post here, and the PTS finally going REAL 64-bit!!!!!!!!

There were probably enough machines running a 32-bit build of Windows(1) back then that it wouldn't have been worth the effort.

(1) In small-memory machines with 64-bit capable processors, Windows will nevertheless prefer to be 32-bit itself.

5 hours ago, lightningseven said:

and yet, when it was announced, it was lightning fast that anyone could finally go jump on PTS and test it all.  Just like that.   Huh.

That just means someone inside BioWare built a PoC 64-bit build (probably as a semi-stealth project(2)), and showed that it just worked, so they went with it.

(2) By which I mean that it was sufficiently approved by management that the developer(s) could continue working on it, but not actually an official project that they could usefully announce.