64 bit client

Facadas

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, how has this not been implemented already? Sure, everyone can play on a 32-bit client, but how many people still use 32-bit? At this point, I doubt it's even 10%. Practically any system bought in the last 2-4 years will have 64-bit on it.

I imagine this is just another fiscally motivated choice, but after the terrible release one would think BW & friends would have stepped up their game - :rolleyes: - to establish SWTOR's place in the most competitive gaming genre. Ever.

TBH I had no idea whatsoever that this game had gotten sooo much better. No one talks about it on other games, I rarely see anything more than occasional flashy ads on websites, etc... If I hadn't randomly wanted some Star Wars in my games then I wouldn't have even known they'd finally put in a space flight system worthy of SWTOR's potential. We'd only been pushing for it since this game was first announced. Most MMO's suffer from a 'better late than never' mentality, and rightly so what with all the content that has to be developed over the years, but I had to wait two xpacs to see this game finally start living up to my expectations :p

Here's hoping 64 bit client and a tooltip font size option are just around the corner. Then, this will finally be the game I've been waiting for since Cata ruined WoW q_q

With 64-bit you get basically unlimited addressable memory space 1.8 e+19 addresses, which is (I think) about 8 Exabytes, which is 8 million terabytes. Well that number of RAM chips won't even fit into the room!

That was said once before...

When 32 bit chips came out back in the 80's, the idea that basic computers would have more than 4GB of RAM was fantasy, most computers didn't even have 1MB of memory...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
they are killing this game off, why would they make it a 64 bit client?

Yes, if we don't see any Dev news regarding a 64 Bit Client we know the SWTOR arc is wrapping up. 32 Bit clients are about 10 years out of date. Even Windows XP had a 64Bit OS. And the progression is XP, XP64, VISTA64, W7-64, W8-64, and W10 coming out in a few months. Our gaming video hardware is actually 1024 Bit and higher bit for over 10 years.

Edited by IntegrationArch

Yes, if we don't see any Dev news regarding a 64 Bit Client we know the SWTOR arc is wrapping up. 32 Bit clients are about 10 years out of date. Even Windows XP had a 64Bit OS. And the progression is XP, XP64, VISTA64, W7-64, W8-64, and W10 coming out in a few months. Our gaming video hardware is actually 1024 Bit and higher bit for over 10 years.

Bump.

If we can please get development to clarify level of effort for 64 bit client. For example would a SWTOR uninstall need to occur and fresh 64 Bit Download and clean reinstall. I am a checking and windows XP fell off the radar and does not have any support for hotfix or servive pack or even malware so it's a two way win for Bioware/EA to move to 64 BIT. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Bump, its ridiculous the game has been out for this long without a 64 bit client.

Why? The game started development back in 2005, long before 64-bit OS were standard...

The cost and effort to make that change would not be minor at this point, it isn't as simple as clicking the "make 64-bit" checkbox in the compiler.

What benefit would it bring? What would it cost? How many new subs would it bring in?

---

So many people want stuff without any consideration of how hard it is, how expensive it is, or what the business case might be.

In 4.0 SWTOR will require a very high end 64 bit computer (16 GB ram, high end GPU made within the last year at release, and an overclocked CPU).

You know, NORMALLY when someone says something as SHOCKING as that, they are nice enough to cite a source or quote someone we can go check on. CAN YOU PLEASE cite a source for that? Or give a link?

Thanks.

You know, NORMALLY when someone says something as SHOCKING as that, they are nice enough to cite a source or quote someone we can go check on. CAN YOU PLEASE cite a source for that? Or give a link?

Thanks.

"In SWTOR 4.0...." is a very popular troll thread in General Discussion. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like not bad idea,

but iam on 32 bit pc,with 2GB ram,yes i do have 1GB VRam but its not great deal,this game requires 4GB Ram.

Probaly i should save some coins for the new toy to play ...

:csw_destroyer: i did had before notebook 64Bit,but its gone,unfortunatelly :mad:.

Whatever,maybe wrong place to post this.