Another DOWNTIME tonight

daMarek

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea how their infrastructure works? Or how long it takes to bring 200+ servers offline, patch, QA and bring back online?

This isn't like downloading an updated on your iPad... my god.

No, I dont know exactly how their infrastructure works.

It does not take long taking 200+ or 10000+ servers down.

I expect they have the management tools to do this effectively.

What do you mean QA? Have we seen any signs in their deployment of patches that QA is involved at all?

Unless they are changing and/or reindexing databases, there is no reason it should take more than 15 minutes.

jesus for the love of god...

BIOWARE PLEASE IGNORE THIS DRIBBLE, hyperactive twitch gaming generation cant friggin wait a couple of hours...

do your thing , ill go play skyrim tll maint is done no biggie , do like i do and ignore the children

Edited by LaVolpex

I PAID MONEY TO DRIVE MY FORD. NOT SIT AROUND WHILE SOMEONE CHANGED THE OIL.

Ford lied to me.

Its more like you paid to rent a car for a month and then every few days they come to you and take the car for hours because it needs oil change or some repairs.

Also, you cannot browse their website during that oil change because apparently they have to turn it off during the oil change

What I'm really surprised about, is how a hotfix patch can take 4 hours to implement :S Most other mmo's do hotfixes in 30-60minutes, sometimes less :S For 4 hours, I expect a damn full fledged patch!

It didn't. In fact the servers were already back up when you posted . . . .

What people don't seem to understand is that they are giving a maintenance window. The most ironic thing is that in other games, when they give too short a window and have to post numerous updates to extend it people complain.

With this game, most of the window estimations have been far longer than the actual downtime. This morning's was a prime example. A window of four hours was stated, but the actual time was less than an hour.

bw makes a mistake after mistake, people whine.

Bw acknowledges potencial mistake, people whine louder.

Bw rushes to fix mistake while introducing 3 new ones and take servers offline a few times per week, people whine they are fixing the mistake.

...go figure...

Bw forums = full of crying trolls.

ftfy :)

jesus for the love of god...

BIOWARE PLEASE IGNORE THIS DRIBBLE, hyperactive twitch gaming generation cant friggin wait a couple of hours...

do your thing , ill go play skyrim tll maint is done no biggie , do like i do and ignore the children

or BF3

You gotta admit though, BW should be able to just do a restart with something that small.

Edited by mittys

Sigh. People need to learn how businesses work. If you are working on a project for a client, you give some extra time when you mention the deadline in case there is issues. The same thing applies here. If you have a patch that only (BEST CASE SCENARIO) takes 20 mintutes, you still want to say it will take a few hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TapVallian

Wait... are you saying this MMO doesn't revolve around PvP?

... 'cause one would think from looking at how things are handled that PvP is IT and everything else is a distant 2nd...

I have played this game since launch and havent touched PVP once... I am sure I am not alone.

Where is your evidence that a majority of players spend a majority of their time doing PVP?

This patch is a pain and fo r me makes no difference,.

Move on... nothing to see

Uh.... yeah that was sarcasm....

Meaning that I don't think this game revolves around PvP but the way they handle things its hard to tell....

(I thought the Bazinga was implied...)

Edited by TapVallian

BW makes a mistake, people whine.

BW acknowledges mistake, people whine louder.

BW rushes to fix mistake, people whine they are fixing the mistake.

...go figure...

BW forums = full of crying trolls.

And that is not deserving you think? This company fails time and time again to perform maintenance on the scheduled time and suddenly starts to throw maintenances around like candy. How about they put in char transfer to the PTR ASAP and get players to test stuff instead of the gambling game they're playing now (and losing horribly).

I think it's absurd the amount of incompetency they've shown lately. I had expected better from Bioware. Patience is wearing thin with their playerbase and as paying customers we have a right to be feeling this way. Excuses like "give it time" don't hold much weight this long after the release.

And that is not deserving you think? This company fails time and time again to perform maintenance on the scheduled time and suddenly starts to throw maintenances around like candy. How about they put in char transfer to the PTR ASAP and get players to test stuff instead of the gambling game they're playing now (and losing horribly).

I think it's absurd the amount of incompetency they've shown lately. I had expected better from Bioware. Patience is wearing thin with their playerbase and as paying customers we have a right to be feeling this way. Excuses like "give it time" don't hold much weight this long after the release.

this forum needs a like button...

Hey genius, the servers weren't down for four hours. I got back in shortly after one hour. Check your sources & do some investigation.

How would he know that when BW can't even be bothered to update the Community News posts on the the website?

This game has the worst Dev communication I've ever seen.

Patching is fine. Progress is progress. But there are far too many examples early on of patches doing slightly more harm than good. Granted, they are still getting the hang of managing a huge MMO, but the execution to date has been somewhat lacking.

I agree, but come on. The latest "emergency" patch, which meant day 2 of maintenance, could have probably waited until next Tuesday. It's not like they don't have the footprints to follow of other MMO's who have laid the ground-work for a lot of things like maintenance.

While I understand that maintenance is necessary in every MMO, I still think they could be a little more conservative about what they consider an emergency patch and be more conscientious of overall downtime.

------------------

Bioware Employee: Welcome everyone! Welcome to the Bioware theme park! Enjoy your stay at the most fun place in the galaxy!

Visitor 2: One of your rides is broken.

Visitor 1: Oh what? That sucks!

Visitor 3: Shoot. Well, I guess I'll go on another ride. That one looks fun--

Bioware Employee: What?? It's broken! Quick! Everyone has to evacuate the park immediately! Code red!

Not only was this hillarious but I thought it captured the rediculousness of this whole situation spot on. haha!

1 hour, 19 minutes.

I get that BW would state it would take upto 4 hours for their fix....and in taking less than 4 hours "1 hour, 19 minutes" it makes them look better.

I'm happy it only took 1 hour, 19 minutes and I was able to get online and play the game for a couple of hours before bed. I'm still upset there was update on that night that took 1 hour, 19 minutes when it could have waited.