Another DOWNTIME tonight

daMarek

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we will be deploying a patch tomorrow (details coming very soon) with the following resolutions:

• Killing players on Ilum will now consistently grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

The patch for the patch is coming. Again we can't play two nights within a week.

UPDATE:

And it's official

Hi everyone,

We will be bringing down servers for four hours on February 9th, 2012 from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET) in order to deploy a patch. This patch will resolve the following:

Killing players on Ilum will now grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

All servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Upcoming Patch

Date: Thursday, February 9th, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I was gonna pwn the galaxy tonight, but I took a patch in the knee

Edited by daMarek

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's as if people have never experienced patching in an MMO before :confused:

Patching is fine. Progress is progress. But there are far too many examples early on of patches doing slightly more harm than good. Granted, they are still getting the hang of managing a huge MMO, but the execution to date has been somewhat lacking.

Bioware has no idea what they are doing. The PTR is a complete joke. Do they expect people to grind to level 50 on the PTR to test stuff or something?

This is just a continuation of how the beta was ran. They decided wiping the servers every 4 weeks and not providing premade level 50s for people was a good way to test end game content. This is why the end game in ToR is so magnificent and bug free... oh wait.

It's ok, one time they gave us random level 42s on a separate server. We didn't get to pick class, advanced class, or faction. Some of them had no gear, skills, or money. So you were basically screwed. Good times.

Patching is fine. Progress is progress. But there are far too many examples early on of patches doing slightly more harm than good. Granted, they are still getting the hang of managing a huge MMO, but the execution to date has been somewhat lacking.

Just because the company is new to MMOs doesn't mean the employees are. When a carpenter starts building a new house they don't need time to "get the hang of it."

They seriously need to do a better job testing patch content. They haven't exactly instilled a sense that they know what they are doing.

I'm inclined to agree sadly. Are we going to have a patch to fix the patch that "fixed" the patch?

When WoW released, we were getting patches daily to bi-daily, I remember getting 3 in one day.

People need to understand that, no matter how much testing you do, sh** happens in the real world.

When we roll out a new production network segment, we test it LONG before it goes live, we do a staged release and we will still find issues, it happens, just be happy they are doing something about it.

Cracks me up though, soooo many posts crying about Ilum PvP broken from last patch, they post they are going to fix it and people cry they are patching heheh

Just because the company is new to MMOs doesn't mean the employees are. When a carpenter starts building a new house they don't need time to "get the hang of it."

A better analogy would be a contractor getting the hang of managing subcontractors, which new contractors ABSOLUTELY need time to do.

And trust me, they have to fix many things that were already supposedly fixed. It's a long time before a contractor reaches their stride.

Edited by Chevex

It all has to do with the fact that they pull the plug at 2am CST. If you live on the US east coast or central time zone ( and sleep before 2 am) its considered a non issue. Patches are a part of mmos and so is downtime, but none of the mmos ive played in the past years have had a 2am CST maintance window, its usually around 4-6am PST.

No but if I go from making birdhouses to multi-unit dwellings I might have a bit of a learning curve.

Bottom line is they do need to do a better job testing this stuff before pushing it out the door. I would completely agree with anyone with that pov.

Bio, FIX YOUR BUGRIDDEN GAME ON PATCH DAY, NOT CONTINUALLY THRU MY PLAYWEEK.

WHAT PART DONT YOU GET? IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE EM DOWN, DO IT AT 0200 AND BEYOND PAC COAST TIME.

I pay alot of money to play this game. What part of that dont you people 'protecting' Bio understand about that?

I dont pay money in this economy to stand around and wait for them to patch their bugged out game...

Cracks me up though, soooo many posts crying about Ilum PvP broken from last patch, they post they are going to fix it and people cry they are patching heheh

Do you think you have as much 'crying' if they actually fixed things? To take it a step further would you have as much 'crying' if things they said were fixed were actually fixed?

I've played many mmo's. 5 years ago a full server maintenance for a basic fix was pretty acceptable. An mmo designer should now be able to implement fixes like that with just a server restart, which takes 5 minutes or so.

I am loving TOR, but having the servers down at 7:00pm your time multiple nights of the week is starting to be a bit grating

I'm inclined to agree sadly. Are we going to have a patch to fix the patch that "fixed" the patch?

That still ended up breaking more things than it fixed.

Also I thought that was the great part about this engine in that they could change things while still playing.

Edited by Emeda

*Gets out the Tiny Violin and gently starts to play it between her thumb and forefinger*

its an MMO, the game is barely over a month old...this is just how it goes. Hell WoW used to patch 3 or 4 times a week during its early days.