1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 months from now Guild Wars 2 will kill this game and force it to go F2P.

Everyone has such high expectations for that game considering its a F2P ...which is kinda of ironic to your post.

I wonder how many subcribers the Guild Wars IP would get if it was pay to play...

So, a bunch of random trolls throw in 0 scores to throw off the curve and that's counted along with the over eager fans who throw in 10 scores to throw off the curve and that's just the people who know what Metacritic is and we're treating that seriously? Ahahahahahah Edited by Brickabrack

Nah. I think that the same handful of QQers will be over on GW2 crying that it ruined their lives. Seen it happen to every MMO since the console kids decided that PC gaming was their next frontier. (A year or two into WoW's lifespan).

Been computer gaming since I was 10. Never been much into console games, other than Goldeneye 64 with some buddies over. Now married and in my late 20's. This game is awesome 1-49, but sucks after a couple weeks of being level 50. There's just nothing to do.

So there goes your theory.

Everyone has such high expectations for that game considering its a F2P ...which is kinda of ironic to your post.

I wonder how many subcribers the Guild Wars IP would get if it was pay to play...

Too bad that GW2 won't have a forums. I'd love to ridicule these kids when they QQ about GW2 as well. Because you know they will.

Been computer gaming since I was 10. Never been much into console games, other than Goldeneye 64 with some buddies over. Now married and in my late 20's. This game is awesome 1-49, but sucks after a couple weeks of being level 50. There's just nothing to do.

So there goes your theory.

Thanks for the unsolicited (and probably false) life story. I don't believe you. Deal with it. :cool:

Edited by KippTabor

I feel that there are some user reviews that are more accurate to my impressions of the game than compared to professional.

But I never look at overall or average user score. Too often the numbers are inflated by people who just want to oppose each other. The 1s can't stand the 10s and vice versa.

You realize within minutes of opening user reviews Metacritic was flooded with 0/10 reviews. There was a good long article linked on Reddit about "The Internet vs SW:TOR".

There is a group of people (not necessarily a guild or organization, mostly probably doing it on their own) with an invested hatred of SW:TOR for no reason other than it is a BioWare game, a WoW competitor or just for it existing, maybe even KoTOR fans pissed its a subscription MMO.

Fact of the matter is, that low user score is from trolls. Look at how low Modern Warfare 3 got, because a bunch haters went and spammed it with 0/10 reviews (I am not saying Modern Warfare 3 is exceptional, merely using that as another example).

Metacritic user scores are meaningless data. Sample size is too small, and too easily to manipulate by troll accounts.

I saw the reviews and while some of them are more realistic honestly to give this game a 0 on a 0-10 scale is ridiculous. By no means is this game perfect and I can think of a few things that bug me personally. All I can say is if ya enjoy the game great, if you don't then stop playing those are your options. There's been a few games that after shelling out the cash for em I'd wished I didn't its just the nature of the beast so to speak.

yes, lets allow 1500 people, a large portion of which has prolly not even played the game rate something.

polls like this are stupid, its like when BBC says "The UK population hates cheese" - sample of 100 people asked.

or if you are american, when they say they have asked 100 americans whether or not they like obama and then saying americans hate him.

This size pool is so small its pointless.

How do you know that a "large portion" have players haven't played the game? Where do you get your data from? Your butt is where you got your data from. It's stupid retorts like this that make these forums fail.

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large random sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 non-random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an inaccurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews, as they are not a random sample. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are no more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread, so someone may have said this already, but... fixed.

Edited by plusieurs

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

Let's compare to World of Warcraft:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/user-reviews

Cataclysm's real score:

0: Wow Clone.

0: Warcraft: The Old Republic

0: This game should have been released beside WoW.

2: Copied WoW

Dayum. Some pretty professional reviews. I'm happy 1,490 players took the time to share their opinions on meta critic while the other.... million + of us are playing the game.

Edited by Yuuj