The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

CourtneyWoods

So with your logic, anyone who cannot afford to fly from, let's say, Russia to Texas is not a true starwars fan and is in fact a troll.

Seriously?

Also, what about those who weren't invited by Bioware, and didn't get one of the limited available spots?

Bioware stated they will have a way where everyone can join in. I am sure it will be via a live stream or something.

That said inviting 1.7 million people to one place is not very possible. I am happy with this event as it gets a good amount of voices to bioware

Guildmasters can bring concerns of their guild mates to the table. One person representing many. It's a good idea.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has the opportunity to be really awesome.

As I've mentioned before, true dev meet-ups that I've been a part of in other games were NOT just devs saying the same ****. They really DID listen. They really DO take into account what we want, but unfortunately, sometimes the 'fixes' aren't as easy as we assume they are.

I know I intend to chat with my guild in depth about the issues that are affecting our group, and if I am chosen to attend, will try to get our concerns/questions addressed as best I can.

Uhh...ever hear of a game called EVE Online run by a company named CCP?

In EVE there is a democratically elected council of gamers that look out for the membership's interests. Furthermore, CCP flies all of those members out (whereever they are GLOBALLY) to have meetings - even emergency ones - with them regarding game issues.

This ain't something new.

So tell me then, why are we whining about it? Why not just let it go? That's what I just don't get. People are so against it and it's like they don't want it to happen. Who cares? They are there to chat about a game, have a good time with some people. Should I not come to your party when you throw one? should your friends not come to your party when you throw one, because other people are against it? What really is the big deal here?

So tell me then, why are we whining about it? Why not just let it go? That's what I just don't get. People are so against it and it's like they don't want it to happen. Who cares? They are there to chat about a game, have a good time with some people. Should I not come to your party when you throw one? should your friends not come to your party when you throw one, because other people are against it? What really is the big deal here?

Exactly. If you find this so completely offensive, just don't go, or don't put your name in the running to attend. Honestly.

It also makes sense to choose 'representatives', and the best representatives for the masses are the guild leaders. If you disagree, explain how you would choose 'representatives' from millions of people? Who can provide not only 'individual' feedback, but 'collective' feedback from more than one viewpoint? If you're saying a lottery system accomplishes this, I fail to see the logic. Individuals would provide feedback from one viewpoint, theirs. Guild leaders have collective viewpoints, have heard various complaints and ideas from more than one person and can provide much more in terms of quality than an individual member.

The only part of this that makes me say, 'that sucks' is the lack of compensation. BW should cover the costs.

We are covering costs for a select group, which will make up a significant number of the attendees. We're obviously also covering all the other running costs for the event.

While I understand everyone's opinions here, apparently we're stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Previously (for the Fan Site Summits) we invited a select group; we got complaints that it should have been open to others even if they paid for themselves. In this case we invite a select group and in addition open up attendance to anyone who wishes to apply, and some are frustrated that we're asking people to attend at their own expense. Like I said, we understand people's reactions, but we won't be able to please everyone.

Is good but I hope a European summit will take place in a later stage, somewhere around Europe.

By the servers looks like Europe is 40% of the numbers of this game. So Bioware, EA should start to check us as well.

As stated, we will have a significant presence from EU guild leaders. We are conducting the summit in English, but most of our developers are English speaking, so it's a necessity. As I stated, an EU summit of some kind is still possible at some point.

Also, what about those who weren't invited by Bioware, and didn't get one of the limited available spots?

Again, we'll have ways for people to interact with the summit who aren't present at the event. That was always part of our planning and we'll have more details soon.

Once again, I'd like to ask for comments to remain constructive in this thread. We are proceeding with the summit and would love to hear your comments about how we can make it a success.

Any one want split a room with me at the Marriott? 119.00 is the nightly rate. PM me when they get send out the invites.

that way it's 60.00/night per person.

I highly recommend you hold off on this until you hear back on the status of your application. First, because I don't want you putting money down until you get invited, but more importantly, because I've been securing much cheaper rates than that across hotels in the immediate area (including the DoubleTree itself). More information will be provided to the attendees, and we've got rooms reserved already, so you don't have to worry about them running out.

While I understand everyone's opinions here, apparently we're stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Previously (for the Fan Site Summits) we invited a select group; we got complaints that it should have been open to others even if they paid for themselves. In this case we invite a select group and in addition open up attendance to anyone who wishes to apply, and some are frustrated that we're asking people to attend at their own expense. Like I said, we understand people's reactions, but we won't be able to please everyone.

Since this event will be spread over 2-3 days, I would like to suggest that you provide an online Q&A event that those of us unlucky enough to not be chosen may participate in. Live streaming, Google+ hangout...hell, even a Reddit AMA would be welcome.

If it goes well, perhaps you could think about making it a quarterly event (the online event...not summit).

Today, we are pleased to announce the first ever Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Guild Summit, being hosted in Austin, TX in March. Over the course of a few days, guild leaders from around the world will gather together to discuss the state of the game with the developers from BioWare Austin. Guild leaders (or a designated officer in the event of a guild leader being unable to attend) will participate in Q&A sessions with developers, roundtable feedback discussions, and will get a preview of some upcoming game features.

Read More

Public Test Server isn't given as an option :-( We have a guild, and we have people that play there as their main server :-(

We are covering costs for a select group, which will make up a significant number of the attendees. We're obviously also covering all the other running costs for the event.

As stated, we will have a significant presence from EU guild leaders. We are conducting the summit in English, but most of our developers are English speaking, so it's a necessity. As I stated, an EU summit of some kind is still possible at some point.

Again, we'll have ways for people to interact with the summit who aren't present at the event. That was always part of our planning and we'll have more details soon.

Once again, I'd like to ask for comments to remain constructive in this thread. We are proceeding with the summit and would love to hear your comments about how we can make it a success.

Hi Stephen, I'd like the option to apply to attend via web conference.

There are several web conferencing providers out there who handle everything for you affordably and I would be happy to recommend a few we've used in the past. I've done several disaster recovery events in this manner and if they work for that, they'll certainly work for this.

Edited by stout

You totally got me detective, well played. I simply misspoke. That totally defeats the crux of my point.

You aren't paying them more money, you're simply paying your own money, to do their job for them, and give them ideas for their game, while those ideas are used to make billions. You're right though, we're not literally handing them money. Ya' got me.

Also if your entire counter argument is "U just mad cuz U can't afford games" then do yourself a favor and quit now, while you're behind.

Just because I have the money in my account, doesn't mean I can just throw it at anything. There is a difference between having the money, and justifying a purchase.

I can afford the game, I can't justify spending more money just to repeat what everyone here has told them.

I'm not going to pay money just for the "privilege" of brainstorming ideas that have already been brainstormed and given to them.

Or maybe have a frank discussion with people that tend to be more grown up and with out having to wade through the pile of scrap on the forums. Boo freaking hoo.

Hi Stephen, I'd like the option to apply to attend via web conference.

There are several web conferencing providers out there who handle everything for you affordably and I would be happy to recommend a few we've used in the past. I've done several disaster recovery events in this manner and if they work for that, they'll certainly work for this.

Great idea Bioware! This is something you don't have to do but are doing it anyways. Great way to reach out!!!!!!!

To bad you have so people with entitlement issues here. oh well gotta take the bad with the good.

Thanks Bioware.

Edited by WarheartZero

Folks up in arms about this event need to realize it's going to happen regardless of your foot stomping. All we can do is sit back and wait for the results.

If the game skews to one play type in the months following the summit, then you can point at it and go "ah, ha." But until then, just take it for what it is... face to face conversation between players and devs. Given the way many players anonymously and venomously communicate issues on the forums, do you really blame BW for wanting to cut through the noise with a face to face summit?

@All guilds who will be going. Plis ask them these questions over and over.

Why are BioWare driving away the republic player base buy refusing to fix the valor farming on Ilum the dying end game planet.Why do bioware give on purpose to the imperial players 200 valor + buff when repulic players only get 20 valor.This is how it is on most servers in the game.Ask them this and dont be afraid to ask.Ask them these things, why they continue to only support the Empire faction in all of this.Why while the Republic faction is getting camped everyday with huge gear/valor gains for the imps there is no changes in patch notes for the future about these issues.

With all the metrics they have just ask why ?

Is good but I hope a European summit will take place in a later stage, somewhere around Europe.

By the servers looks like Europe is 40% of the numbers of this game. So Bioware, EA should start to check us as well.

So, if there is a strong EU presence at the Austin summit, does this mean that the EU summit will have a strong US presence as well?

Bioware stated they will have a way where everyone can join in. I am sure it will be via a live stream or something.

That said inviting 1.7 million people to one place is not very possible. I am happy with this event as it gets a good amount of voices to bioware

Guildmasters can bring concerns of their guild mates to the table. One person representing many. It's a good idea.

You missed my point. My point was that the logic being used by the quoted poster indicated that anyone who didn't go, no matter what their reason, is a troll and not a real star wars fan.

You need some female representation. =D

I live here in Austin, so if you don't get picked but I do-- I'll represent all of us ladies! I'll have to get a list of questions from the guys in my guild, and then get a separate group from the rest of my lady gamer buds.

The boys are ALL up in arms about this whole fiasco-- would be funny if we all got a ton of stuff the ladies wanted and the boys got nothing.

(snicker)

<Hairstylist. No, really. I'm not even kidding>

Seriously Bioware, is this really needed? How much time and effort are you putting into this "PR Stunt"? Furthermore, what exactly will you get out of it that you couldn't get via other more efficient and convenient means? The answer is: Nothing. Aside from a "meet and greet" for a select few. But doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having this "summit"?

Those actually participating will not be impartial, and the amount of questions thrown at you will be ridiculous. So what happens? You'll probably end up "cherry picking" questions, which you will either answer with information that we already know about, or you'll just use the obligatory "sorry, can't talk about that yet" line.

This just sounds like a complete waste of time and effort. Which could have been spent better elsewhere.

Seriously, there are other ways to "listen" to the community, including the creation of multiple sectioned surveys, followed by posting the results of those surveys on the forums.

That way, EVERYONE can participate in giving feedback, not just a limited number of guilds who will have their own agendas.

Edited by Tarka

You missed my point. My point was that the logic being used by the quoted poster indicated that anyone who didn't go, no matter what their reason, is a troll and not a real star wars fan.

I agree that is clearly not the case. I think in summary the reality of it all was stated very well by bioware. They can't invite everyone.

I think inviting guild masters was a great idea

I live here in Austin, so if you don't get picked but I do-- I'll represent all of us ladies! I'll have to get a list of questions from the guys in my guild, and then get a separate group from the rest of my lady gamer buds.

The boys are ALL up in arms about this whole fiasco-- would be funny if we all got a ton of stuff the ladies wanted and the boys got nothing.

(snicker)

<Hairstylist. No, really. I'm not even kidding>

Dude you have no idea how much I want a hairstylist >.>.