Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

CourtneyWoods

It's because these type of remarks is what they are trying to avoid. you all say "fix the game", but doesn't give time to "fix the game". So you keep whining that "why isn't this fixed NOW?". They said more guild features are on their way, they said customizable UI are on their way, they have already told you all this and everyone continues to whine why they aren't in the game NOW. Really....are you and everyone else a bunch of whining idiots? Or do you need to go back to school to learn how to read and research before QQing?

I'm sorry but my calling out a logical fallacy that labels me as a malcontent who wants this game to fail, if I don't agree that this summit is a great idea, is a remark (let's face it) YOU don't want to read? Tough!

What the hell are you talking about? The very fact that I'm still paying for the game, and enjoying it, is proof enough, that I want this game to succeed. I can wait on fixes too. That doesn't make it ok for them to drag their feet on game breaking issues and ignore the forums with very few exceptions.

However,

"Why hasn't this issue been fixed now" is a reasonable question to ask when a major issue has been around since the early stages of closed beta.

I'm no genius, but I know enough to know that nothing you said has anything to do with this summit ****.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its unfortunate that you're limiting the age to 21. I've been GM of my guild for about 4 years now, and I'll be turning 21 on March 23rd. You should really consider that before giving an arbitrary limit on who may come based around what I assume to be legal drinking age. There definitely are better ways to address underage drinking.

I ask again, how does this summit tarnish any post on these forums? I agree, there are passionate people who write great posts. Why do you say alternative when the forums are the main way? You act like the forums are being fired or something this is like a one day event

Well it's a combination of them for the most part, ignoring the forums, then doing this. It's hard not to think that this meeting isn't some preferential treatment, to me. Or Bioware's opinion of it's fanbase.

I find the need to segregate the player base into a small group, who is important enough to be talked to face to face (or at all), a slap in all those faces who of people who provided them with carefully written posts and get nothing.

It's the baffling decision, to do it the way they have, that is my problem. alienating your player base for whatever reason is always a bad idea. It's bad enough that these games are designed to give guilds every advantage, but to elevate guilds to the level of personal invites to developer meetings, is just horrible.

I'm in a guild, if they want my opinion, I'll just give it to them here. My words aren't so special that they need to spoken in person.

I love my GM like a brother, but I know more about the game than he does. I've progressed farther too. That's fine with me.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

First time I have heard about something like THIS. Sounds awesome, but sadly im too young to attend plus I don't even have a guild. Wonder if it has anything to do with alcohol...

Edit: Give us a livestream of this!

Edited by ZirusZero

Well it's a combination of them for the most part, ignoring the forums, then doing this. It's hard not to think that this meeting isn't some preferential treatment, to me. Or Bioware's opinion of it's fanbase.

I find the need to segregate the player base into a small group, who is important enough to be talked to face to face (or at all), a slap in all those faces who of people who provided them with carefully written posts and get nothing.

It's the baffling decision, to do it the way they have, that is my problem. alienating your player base for whatever reason is always a bad idea. It's bad enough that these games are designed to give guilds every advantage, but to elevate guilds to the level of personal invites to developer meetings, is just horrible.

I'm in a guild, if they want my opinion, I'll just give it to them here. My words aren't so special that they need to spoken in person.

I don't think they ignored it (I'm aware of how lousy beta communication was done and I can't answer for them there) I think they have a completely different team now than when development started (internet hearsay) and I don't think they are going to fix a bunch of stuff that most of us aren't experiencing. I could be wrong but I've stated it on several occasion - I have zero performance issues and this is the smoothest launching mmo I have been a part of, I have no idea what most of you are experiencing and I've been hearing about it for months! There are some quirks like kira carsen didn't work and my master strike was wonky for a while, but that was fixed and I haven't seen a bit of it since. Since my comp runs it perfectly I imagine the ones at EA/BW do too.

I'm not tracking on how this alienates anyone in the player base, it's simply an event to add to the overall process of development. I don't think they are going to hear out the guilds and then start coding everything they say into the game right there on the spot.

Right cause you know how hard it is to read the forums the need to make a convention for guild leaders ( some of them are 12 ) just to discuss hot topics for guild content in a live q & a.

Here's the hot topic, guild bank - kthxbai

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Hello everyone, thanks for your comments so far. I wanted to address a few things that have come up.

Again, some effort to include European players would be nice. A separate summit session would be ideal - a small number (5 or 10?) funded places for Europeans to travel over would perhaps wind up being a cheaper alternative.

As this is our first time doing a Guild Summit, naturally we have to be cautious in some aspects of this event. Holding it in Austin makes the most sense, as we're based here and will get the biggest developer turnout with the least impact on development schedules; it's also considerably easier for us to organize when it's local to us.

That said, if the event is a success, a future European summit isn't out of the question. For this event, we have already invited a number of EU guild leaders.

Great, so the mega guilds will be the only ones to get a say.

That's definitely not the case - in fact, the application doesn't even ask for the size of the guild to be specified. We're aiming to invite a diverse mix of guilds; small and large, PvP, PvE and RP playstyles. We're interested in a whole variety of opinions and hope that those who attend will respect opinions on the game that might be alternative to theirs.

After all, given this is an online game, isn't everyone's opinion valid and isn't the web the best medium for presenting material like this?

The web is a very good medium for presenting lots of material - but face to face interaction and conversation is always going to yield great results. Let's be frank, the anonymity of the internet can ensure some pretty radical opinions and can sometimes drown out reasonable discussion. We believe we'll get some great in-depth discussions and feedback out of this event.

With that said, we're aware that some might not be able to attend and are looking for alternative ways to participate. We'll have more information on how you'll be able to contribute soon.

Does the person applying for this have to be the "Guild Leader" in terms of the top position in the structure of the guild or merely part of the Guild Leadership?

Any guild leader is welcome to apply and then can designate another guild member to attend in their place. This of course assumes that the guild leader's application is accepted for the event.

Last thing; there's been a certain amount of concern in this thread that we're 'expecting' or 'forcing' people to attend the summit. To give you some background, when we held our last Fan Site Summit, at which we invited a number of SWTOR fan sites out to Austin, we heard from a lot of other fan sites that they would have been interested in coming if they were able to pay their own way.

When we started planning the Guild Summit, we decided we would invite a select number of guild leaders to Austin at our expense, just like the Fan Site Summit. In addition, we decided to open applications to all guild leaders who were interested in attending at their own expense. So far, judging by the pile of applications we've received today, plenty of people are interested in joining us in Austin and we're looking forward to welcoming everyone.

We're building this event to gather a broad spectrum of opinions, both from those attending in person and those of you in the wider community. We're not excluding anyone, even if they can't make it to Austin.

BC they are trying to avoid the trolls/kids to hear the invited adults talk about what they would like to see in game. We should be relishing this opportunity people, a live q&a on youtube wouldn't get anything done, the most ambitious trolls would still be heard.

Plus how do you have a party over the internet? I'd rather go to the Austin DoubleTree and meet and greet peole, have a few drinks at the bar afterward and play some MTG or something with other guilds. Meet some of the devs so I could ask qs in person, stuff like that.

I personally would have picked a different city but BW is in Austin, so to Austin we go!

Edited by Xumagai

we decided to open applications to all guild leaders who were interested in attending at their own expense.

We're not excluding anyone, even if they can't make it to Austin.

Do you even read the PR you copy/paste?

How are you not excluding people, if only a tiny sliver of your player base can even apply, and then you have to be selected? You're excluding most of your players before applications even begin!

Edited by Fiachsidhe

I'm not being funny but seriously i am really impressed with the feedback that BW are willing to listen. I've been playing since early release and the one thing ive noticed compared to playing other MMO's is the feedback and 'general' honesty from BW. I hope there is some constructive feedback.

Strange - one thing I've noticed is the general LACK of Bioware addressing concerns in a timely manner.

Also, like someone else said, this announcement gives the impression they'll start ASKING what people want in March, and then start coding/implementing it.

Why not start now? There's dozens if not hundreds of suggestions on these forums about what people want, and not a peep from Bioware in any of the threads.

Do you even read the PR you copy/paste?

How are you not excluding people, if only a tiny sliver of your player base can even apply, and then you have to be selected? You're excluding most of your players before applications even begin!

What would you have them do? simply invite random people from the game overall?? I agree with BW, guild leaders are a good choice.

Anyway, I'll let my GL fill out the application when he gets off of work (which is hell of late, he's on pac time unlike the rest of us), hopefully that doesn't ruin our chances of getting to send someone but we won't be banking on it as it really should be a select group of people.

Best of luck to all officers who get to go, and hopefully one of our officers will see you in Austin! :)

This is amazingly crazy.

This sounds like "We know the game has major issues and a lot of you don't plan on paying us $15 a month much longer for what we're giving you at the moment, but please spend a couple of thousand dollars of your own money to come give us ideas on how to fix it".

This gives a whole new meaning to volunteer work...lol

P.S. You'd think in 2012 this could be done online or via conference call, where the invitees could participate for free and not have to spend hundreds to thousands of their own money on traveling to tell the paid employees how to fix the game.

This is amazingly crazy.

This sounds like "We know the game has major issues and a lot of you don't plan on paying us $15 a month much longer for what we're giving you at the moment, but please spend a couple of thousand dollars of your own money to come give us ideas on how to fix it".

This gives a whole new meaning to volunteer work...lol

P.S. You'd think in 2012 this could be done online or via conference call, where the invitees could participate for free and not have to spend hundreds to thousands of their own money on traveling to tell the paid employees how to fix the game.

First of all as they stated it is at their expense. Secondly, many of us have no major issues. Everyone in my guild bought a new computer for this game and we are mostly just confused as to what the trolls are talking about... I do see minor issues such as quests not updating but compared to other releases that's cake.

Here's the hot topic, guild bank - kthxbai

Fiddling while Rome burns.

They already gave us the info on that and it will be implemented. Guild captital ships have been hinted at for a long time so that could be one of the things addressed.

kthxbai

What would you have them do? simply invite random people from the game overall?? I agree with BW, guild leaders are a good choice.

/sigh Oh sweet Hell...another one.

I don't know maybe, instead of lame PR stunts, they just not invite people out to mini-parties, and instead, look at these very forums and just fix the issues.

We PAY THEM. It's bad enough that we even have to give them suggestions, now they expect people to provide their own airfare, lodging costs, vacation time, just they don't have to think of ways to fix their game? That's called being an employee.

What's next? We get to pay them to answer our own GM tickets?

There is suggestions on the forums, and then there is "pay out of your pocket to come do our jobs".

Stop asking me if I prefer them doing the same dumb idea, only worse.

God you even missed the point of my response calling Reid out for doubletalk.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

Not sure what to think about an event like this being setup so close after launch. This would have been awesome to have during the Guild setup phase and pre-release to get real input before the game came out. That said, hopefully positive contribution will result in the community being listened to.

You state you invited a number at your own expense, I was curious as to how many that is and how many in total you aiming for?

I would love to give some ideas and suggestions for the game plus I'm a guildleader however I can't come to Austin,TX but would love to interact with the dev's to understand more what they want to come from this game. Also I am concerened some guildleader's will band together for their own guild's benefit and try some cheap trick of adding content through suggestions to gain control over some area of game as their own. Such as special item's they already have they can make, just to be given bigger stats, while down playing the attribute's of the basic class's.

This.

You either want to help make this game succeed, or you want to continue crying into your cheerios. Whichever it is, make up your mind.

I have a hard time believing that a summit of leaders of guilds such as Requiem is going to improve the game for me.