[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Yeah that flowchart is to difficult to understand, you should really stop making it so convoluted. It only needs to show results not schematics.

No, the flowchart is perfect. It graphically represents the RE system in it's entirety, and quite frankly, it's a pretty simple flowchart. Notice it has a key. This explains what everything in the flowchart represents. Further, he provided references and annotations. That flowchart is Reverse Engineering as we understand it today.

Let me be clear, here. My goal in starting this thread and developing this guide was to provide a textbook like resource for a complete understanding of reverse engineering. This is meant to help people of all skill levels become experts at this system.

I want this guide to be as accessible as possible, but it is more important it be as complete as possible. I've endeavored to make the guide user friendly and easily comprehensible, but I'd rather scare people off with too much information than not provide that information for the people who want it.

What LoneStranger did is take that philosophy and incorporated it perfectly into a complete graphical representation of the information in the guide. I feel confident that a person could look at that flowchart and not read a word of the guide, and get a reasonably solid grasp on this system. Along with the guide, I feel the flowchart provides a perfect companion to crystallize ideas for people who need to see things laid out visually.

Out of all the contributions made to this guide, LoneStranger's flowchart is easily the biggest and most valuable. He did it completely unbidden and I, for one, am extremely appreciative. I seriously hope he continues to update it as the RE system changes and evolves, and that he keeps up the level of detail he has in the original.

Basically, what I'm saying is I've spent a lot of hours working on this guide, invested a lot of personal energy into it, and still my favorite single part of the guide is that flowchart.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone else waiting now to RE stuff until the patch or are you still trying for schematics, and if so what kind of success are you getting. At the moment I seem to be getting one every 15-20 crafts. Also, does affection of the character that crafts the item make any difference?

I am still RE-ing greens and blues that only uses classic material (as a 50 those are relatively "free"). And I get usual RE rate.

This morning I RE-ed the level 49 tank glove (blue base) for gardians and got the 3 T1 prefix in 15 tries (RE-ed the 10 other gloves to gets materials back)

I stopped RE-ing purple when I got nothing out of 30 critical shade bracers (and had no T2 recipes). But I re-ed overkill (or critical, whichever) arch savants boots (one piece as I got tionese for Kira) and got endowement in this one try.

I also RE-ed carbon fiber belts from green to purple, I got the redoubt as third prefix after about 40 greens, and the veracity after 50 blues (and got anti armor, general and one "schematics already known" before veracity).

Basically, what I'm saying is I've spent a lot of hours working on this guide, invested a lot of personal energy into it, and still my favorite single part of the guide is that flowchart.

This is high praise, and I thank you for it. I just tried to make it easy for people to visually go through the process. I was so early in my REing career that I did very little research myself. I had to rely on you guide and info from the community.

In defense of having both schematics and finished items, it allows someone to look at the chart and say "that's what I want, now how to I get there?" Since the two pieces (RE and crafting) are linked in a repeating chain, it makes more sense than showing, say, just the finished items tree, though that chart can be helpful too in it's own way. There are also a few caveats and gotchas, and I think it helps to be able to see where those are in the process.

Anyway, I hope it's helped at least a few people get that lightbulb clicked on above their head, and I wish more people would give it a shot before responding to the thread with "I haven't read everything yet, but...."

is anyone else waiting now to RE stuff until the patch or are you still trying for schematics, and if so what kind of success are you getting. At the moment I seem to be getting one every 15-20 crafts. Also, does affection of the character that crafts the item make any difference?

For me its random sometimes i'll get a schematic at a rate of one in 8 or less try and other times its about 50 - 100 tries before i get anything. Sometimes I just fraking quit trying on an item and then boom get it on another.

I wish they'd post a timeline fix for this its killing the market its becoming increasingly hard for me to find updates for my weapons and make updates for my other gear using cybertech. Its also causing insane inflation prices when you do find something made you acn use. I've not been able to update my implants for my Bounty Hunter Tank in 8 levels now since the issue started I'm assuming ists because biochem crafters either only like siths or they simply are having a hard time getting other schematics.

:p

I RE'ed a purple item, since that time I've rarely "new" procs from blue items. There were only three procs and ... it was every time the same proc as the first time => "you already know that"... bad luck, working as intended, bug?

I RE'ed 220 top-level blues to learn 3 purple recipes (already had 1, took somewhere between 20~40 to learn it). Every 20 (on average, not *exactly* 20) crafts gave me a "try" at a purple recipe, so 8/11 times I got "you already know that".

Bad luck, but it could be worse.

I RE-ed level 49 berkar'gam boots for jedi gardian tanks yesterday, 0 out of 30 (from base blue to T1 purple).

After having the 3 T1 out of 15 for the gloves it shows that the bug does not only exist from T1 to T2.

It is realtively not expensive to RE from blue to purple so I will continue, but I will wait for all pruple to purple RE until further patches.

i believe this may be covered and i am just not grasping it...

so if you start with a blue schematic (from loot) what is the path for those items? does it go from blue to 3 purples and then each of those purples gets 5 possible options?

i am biochem.

thanks!

i believe this may be covered and i am just not grasping it...

so if you start with a blue schematic (from loot) what is the path for those items? does it go from blue to 3 purples and then each of those purples gets 5 possible options?

i am biochem.

thanks!

This is a question that is perfectly answered by the flowchart. Take a look at it (the link is in the first post) and find the box that signifies the blue schematics. There is a key in the upper left if you need help. The box is labeled Prototype Base. From that box is two lines, showing that you can craft one of two possible results. Either of those two results can be reverse engineered into a purple schematic with a Tier 1 prefix, those three options you mentioned. From there, you could craft one of two options. Either of those two options can be reverse engineered into a purple schematic with a Tier 2 prefix, the four or five options that stem from the Tier 1. For reference, the prefixes are also listed on the chart.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

I realize this question may have already been asked, but I'm too impatient to look through every single post. Can anyone tell me if you can RE a green item more than once for a different blue schematic? Specifically, I am referring to implants.

The great part is that you don't have to read every single post to answer this question. You only have to read the first one.

The great part is that you don't have to read every single post to answer this question. You only have to read the first one.

Yes, after a careful reading of the first post I found my answer. Thank you for the tremendous amount of effort it must have taken to reply to me. I imagine your fingers were stiff and sore afterwards. You're a real trooper. I can't possibly imagine what you must have went through.

Currently.... I am crafting focus items with Artifice.... I am to understand that 5 different [superior] schematics stem from one blue schematic.... i have looked for the answer and cant find it... has this been fixed in relation to the fifth one being bugged? i have 4 and it keeps tellin me I already know that schematic... thanks

In order to make "Mastercraft Items" do you have to RE Tier1 items and learn a Tier2 Mastercraft schematic, or do you simply learn the Tier2 schematic and keep pumping out Superior items until you crit for a Mastercraft? Thanks

The latter; Mastercraft = critical success on a Superior item.

This is a question that is perfectly answered by the flowchart. Take a look at it (the link is in the first post) and find the box that signifies the blue schematics. There is a key in the upper left if you need help. The box is labeled Prototype Base. From that box is two lines, showing that you can craft one of two possible results. Either of those two results can be reverse engineered into a purple schematic with a Tier 1 prefix, those three options you mentioned. From there, you could craft one of two options. Either of those two options can be reverse engineered into a purple schematic with a Tier 2 prefix, the four or five options that stem from the Tier 1. For reference, the prefixes are also listed on the chart.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks. I think that does answer my question...so the answer is yes and i can find more details on one of the links. I thought that was the case and I appreciate the response.

Good hunting / crafting!

Currently.... I am crafting focus items with Artifice.... I am to understand that 5 different [superior] schematics stem from one blue schematic.... i have looked for the answer and cant find it... has this been fixed in relation to the fifth one being bugged? i have 4 and it keeps tellin me I already know that schematic... thanks

For Critical and Overkill there are 5....for Redoubt the fifth is still bugged as far as we're all aware...

For Critical and Overkill there are 5....for Redoubt the fifth is still bugged as far as we're all aware...

I am RE'ing Critical and after 80 Re's It has told me so many times that i already know that schematic.... just to let all know

I am RE'ing Critical and after 80 Re's It has told me so many times that i already know that schematic.... just to let all know

Yeah...that's a royal pain in the behind :)

The Developers have mentioned that the "You already know that schematic" message appearing is a bug and will be updated in a future patch...1.2 if I'm not mistaken...

Just to repost a previous question which didn't get answered.. Is it possible to remove an enhancement from a purchased PvP reward item, say a lightsaber, then try to RE it for the schematic? The enhancement in question is "Triumphant Enhancement 20"

Previous wisdom says the answer is NO because one cannot craft that enhancement normally, but the enhancement has all the qualities of falling in a linear pattern (it's blue, numbered, and has stats very competitive to similar trainer taught enhancements). Seeing as how I'm not level 50, it's likely the schematic is a world drop that I just haven't encountered yet, but I'd be curious to know if it's possible to make this.

At this time level 50 items (purple) PvP item cannot remove enhancement (yes that means no purple crystal for you on your orange ;) )

BUT!!!!

The devs said that was not intentional so future updates we can remove them. I can understand why they will let us remove them since they are BoA anyways and you can't trade them.

I can understand why they will let us remove them since they are BoA anyways and you can't trade them.

The problem was that people were farming the "easy" armor (Boots for instance) and pulling the mods out of that and putting them in chest pieces and leg pieces, etc.

If I understand what they're saying, they'll make it so that when they re-enable it so you can remove stuff, you won't be able to put a Boot mod in a Chest piece, or vice versa...it'll be locked to the slot.