[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Yes, the UI defaults to 'Trainable' and thus you'll only see schematics if you're not fully trained up for your skill level, but you can also select 'All' and see, well, ALL of them that you don't already know.

Ima derp...I completely forgot about that.

thanks!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I searched and couldn't find it.

This morning I crafted 3 Psychotropic Reaction Implants and when I tried to RE them I got the message "You have insufficient skill level".

Since I crafted them with the toon that was trying to RE them this seems strange.

I've tried all the usual things (logging out and back in, closing swtor completely and reloading, rebooting my computer, dancing naked around a blazing bonfire chanting a mysterious swtor invocation) but all to no avail.

Anyone got any insights?

Have bugged it in-game.

Note: In the same session I successfully crafted and re'ed Psychotropic Cardio Systems

Cheers,

Arnleif

Edited by Arnleif

Hi all.

First of all; Thank you for this excellent guide! I have never played MMO before, so everything is new to me - also the RE.... but it is very interesting.

I am a Vanguard with Armormech as chosen crew skill - supported by Scavenging and Underworld Trading (Started out with slicing, got to 400 on that and then found out that UT was better.... :-) ).

Any ways - I have started crafting af lot and RE in order to see, how far I can go. I do not know if below info is interesting to anyone - but here it is:

I started with: "Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Green) crafting a total of 15 - of these 5 ended up being critically crafted - 33%.

I then RE all of them and learned "Redoubt Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Blue) and "Critical Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Blue) - 13%. As a Vanguard I was looking for the Redoubt version, so I stopped crafting any more basics and continued down the path by crafting 15 Redoubt versions - of these 3 ended up being critically crafted - "Redoubt Alloy Heavy Helmet [Advances]" - 20%.

I then RE all of them and learned "Veracity Alloy Heavy Helmet [superior]" (Purple) - 7%. This version was as a Vanguard (Tank) luckily enough the version I was looking for - pure luck - but good pure luck. :-)

I then crafted 15 of these, and the last one ended up being critically crafted - "Veracity Alloy Heavy Helmet [Mastercraft]" - 7%.

That was a little bit of statistics. And now a question - Is it correct, that if I craft a lot of the purple helmets and then RE all of them, then I may end up with a Legendary version?

If the statistics hold same relative dificulty, then I guess I need to craft and RE about 45-60 purple helmets to get a Legendary - or?

:-)

Thank you again for this really good guide!

CU out there.

JulemandenDK

Thank you for this guide. Best help I have found regarding any topic in any game in recent memory. There was a lot to read through here, but has there been any discussion in sort options in your craft, for example, in armortech?

It would be nice to sort and tree out based of of the base item or schematic. because right now there is no way to logically sort it out along this line of thinking. You have to keep a separate piece of paper an maintain a flow chart of the items your are REing and tiering out.

The sorting options are nice though and the filters are helpful, but I think one more additional categorical sort based of the root schematic would be real beneficial.

we all would like a group by family option but ,the best way to do this besides spending about 4 hrs making an excel spreadsheet of all the armor (like i did lol) is to sort it by lvl. this will put all the same lvl items in alphabetical order so makes it easier to figure out what you need to re without a spreadsheet.

Hi all.

First of all; Thank you for this excellent guide! I have never played MMO before, so everything is new to me - also the RE.... but it is very interesting.

I am a Vanguard with Armormech as chosen crew skill - supported by Scavenging and Underworld Trading (Started out with slicing, got to 400 on that and then found out that UT was better.... :-) ).

Any ways - I have started crafting af lot and RE in order to see, how far I can go. I do not know if below info is interesting to anyone - but here it is:

I started with: "Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Green) crafting a total of 15 - of these 5 ended up being critically crafted - 33%.

I then RE all of them and learned "Redoubt Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Blue) and "Critical Alloy Heavy Helmet" (Blue) - 13%. As a Vanguard I was looking for the Redoubt version, so I stopped crafting any more basics and continued down the path by crafting 15 Redoubt versions - of these 3 ended up being critically crafted - "Redoubt Alloy Heavy Helmet [Advances]" - 20%.

I then RE all of them and learned "Veracity Alloy Heavy Helmet [superior]" (Purple) - 7%. This version was as a Vanguard (Tank) luckily enough the version I was looking for - pure luck - but good pure luck. :-)

I then crafted 15 of these, and the last one ended up being critically crafted - "Veracity Alloy Heavy Helmet [Mastercraft]" - 7%.

That was a little bit of statistics. And now a question - Is it correct, that if I craft a lot of the purple helmets and then RE all of them, then I may end up with a Legendary version?

If the statistics hold same relative dificulty, then I guess I need to craft and RE about 45-60 purple helmets to get a Legendary - or?

:-)

Thank you again for this really good guide!

CU out there.

JulemandenDK

Currently cannot make Legendaries

Edited by Necodreus

no. this is as far as it goes. you have now successfully crafted the best possible version of Alloy Heavy Helmet.

on another note though... I have started biochem on an alt recently, and decided to test REing an item I don't have a schematic for. 80 Surgical Medpacs later I still don't have a prototype recipe. will continue trying.

So as an artificer (no this is not a mod question shockingly!), can I crit for an augment slot on my relics? Or will it increase the proc? Furthermore, can it be mastercrafted?

I've yet to see anyone running around with one.

I've mastercrafted a purple focus that gives it an augment slot.

A Focus is an offhand, a Relic is a trinket, so that doesn't really answer the question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to the question.

Aye I have a mastercrafted focus already. I want to know about the relic because otherwise I really don't feel like farming biometric alloys.

Aye I have a mastercrafted focus already. I want to know about the relic because otherwise I really don't feel like farming biometric alloys.

Yes, you can crit an augment slot on relics. A newbie I was doing dailies with just dinged 50 and went 2 for 2 on his Rakata relics. Some people have all the luck.

Yes, you can crit an augment slot on relics. A newbie I was doing dailies with just dinged 50 and went 2 for 2 on his Rakata relics. Some people have all the luck.

Thanks, don't suppose you'd know if the crits affect anything else? (like increase the proc or can be RE'd for mastercrafts)

Thanks, don't suppose you'd know if the crits affect anything else? (like increase the proc or can be RE'd for mastercrafts)

mastercrafts are crits and I have no idea what procs you're talking about.

rakata relics can crit, seem to have a pretty decent crit rate based on the artificers in my guild (5), and all it does is add a augment slot.

can provide SSs if needed.

this has literally been the #1 guide for anything i need regarding Reverse Engineering. thank you for taking the time out of your day to make this. I do have a question though. i have been trying to obtain a Vehemence Focus of Devastating Power and i have literally spent hundreds of thousands of credits sending crew out or just straight up buying mats off the GTN to make the tier 2 just to Reverse Engineer hoping to get it. no luck. i just did a marathon of crafting 25 while i was at work with no luck. it said that i "already had this schematic" twice though. ive gotten that a lot actually. is there any plans in the pipeline that would make it so that it would not try to learn something you already know. also is there anything that i can do to increase my chance of getting the one i want instead of wasting thousands? Edited by _Milkman_
addition

is there any plans in the pipeline that would make it so that it would not try to learn something you already know. also is there anything that i can do to increase my chance of getting the one i want instead of wasting thousands?

Devs have stated that they are looking into the "Already Learned This Schematic" issue. They didn't say whether it was designed that way or a bug though, so who knows if they'll actually stop that from happening. As for increasing your chances, not much to be done. Again though, the devs have stated that they don't think RE chances are where they should be. So that answer could easily be "Wait for a patch."

I don't have the link atm, but BW has stated that RE (and crafting in general) isn't working as intended and have some changes posted in the near future. My guess is the March patch, but we shall see.

I keep hearing people refer to 1.2 as "the March patch" or otherwise indicating it will come out in March, but I haven't seen any official indication of this. Do you have a link to an official source saying 1.2 is scheduled for March or is this just a wild rumor?

Wow, the crafting and RE system is far more complex than I knew. It's almost depressignly deep, the sheer amount of materials, time, money, and luck involved in RE things to get the various blue versions, let alone the purples, is downright mindboggling, and frankly discouraging. I have little desire to put myself through that after reading this.

You have to get heaps and heaps of the rarer materials to make the blues, in order for a small chance at the purples...gulp. Sometimes just getting a blue version of something is feat in itself.

Edited by Jinwe

Looking for some insight, or help if anyone can assist. I am familiar with the crafting system and prefix names, but have run into an issue that I would like to run past other crafters.

I am REing an earpiece (cybertech) and I am starting out with the green Lv49 schematic:

ION CHARGED POWER DEVICE

59 Endurance

50 Cunning

29 Accuracy

29 Critical

I am looking to get more critical and more accuracy. I got a blue schematic with critical on it, a:

CRITICAL ION CHARGED POWER DEVICE

59 Endurance

50 Cunning

29 Accuracy

64 Critical

so, happy days...or not. I have now had 4 purple schematics "evolve" off of the blue critical schematic, and ALL OF THEM are leadership (which I obviously do not want). After about 100 blue crafts I am thinking I hit a "bug" and am tired of wasting resources.

So. my questions are:

1- Has anyone run into the same issue with this particular schematic?

2- Has anyone run into a similar issue with any schematic and had better luck starting over with the green and trying to get the "other" stat updated first?

Thanks for any help. :D

Edited by DenitharPurloin

I don't have the link atm, but BW has stated that RE (and crafting in general) isn't working as intended and have some changes posted in the near future. My guess is the March patch, but we shall see.

I really hope for late February patch instead of waiting all the way till March.

so, happy days...or not. I have now had 4 purple schematics "evolve" off of the blue critical schematic, and ALL OF THEM are leadership (which I obviously do not want). After about 100 blue crafts I am thinking I hit a "bug" and am tired of wasting resources.

Nope, just keep at it. I have that recipe for the exact item you have Fervor Ion-Charged Power Device. I was going for the crit/surge version as I've learned that there already is too much accuracy on smuggler/agent gear and in general surge is a more useful stat to obtain.

Found conflicting info in this thread.

Just found my first world drop schematic for armstech. I learned the world drop schematic. Can I craft these, RE them and learn higher tiered schematics?

Do found crafting schematics work like trainer trained schematics?

No they can't. Even though BW said that it should possible and that you should get 2x item on a crit, in the live game this doesn't work.

Yes they can all crit, you will get an augment slot when they do.

Are you sure, I had a mystery hilt grinding up...

I had mats for 5 and I crafted 5 hilts, only med packs in the inventory and I had 6 hilts on the next log in....

Edited by PullinStuff

Found conflicting info in this thread.

Just found my first world drop schematic for armstech. I learned the world drop schematic. Can I craft these, RE them and learn higher tiered schematics?

Do found crafting schematics work like trainer trained schematics?

Depends, if its the vibroknife schematic(3 type of world drops). Vibroknives are bugged in any version and can't be RE'd. Also Scatterguns can't be RE'd

If its a Rifle/Cannon/Pistol/Vibrosword/Electrostaff then most definately it can be RE'd. I have them all and RE'd them all from woprld drops.

Excellent resource...Thank you guys for taking the time to put this together.

It's 4 am here and Ive been up since 10 am yesterday so all the replies are running together. So the question I'm going to ask may have already been asked / answered.

Im a 50 lvl sent., artificer.

What Id like to know is, can I craft enhancements in non linear tree. I know I can craft, a green, blue, and purple fortitude 3 enhancement but can I get multiple schematics (different variations) for green and blue and purple for that fort 3 enhancement?

Edited by dapixelassassin