[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Yes, after a careful reading of the first post I found my answer. Thank you for the tremendous amount of effort it must have taken to reply to me. I imagine your fingers were stiff and sore afterwards. You're a real trooper. I can't possibly imagine what you must have went through.

I'm guessing it was more work than it would have taken you to try to find the answer on your own, instead of waiting for someone to take the time to rewrite the stuff that was already explained in the first post.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hours of crafting and RE-ing my way through stacks of mats to get a purple shotgun for my Smuggler with no success... I found this guide.... sigh...

All those wasted mats, missions, and time...

Unhappy panda...

I'm bookmarking this guide and one showing RE results... I do not want to be bitten by one of these bugs again... It's enough when the gods of RNG hate me; it's so much worse when it's a bug and all is totally wasted.

Thanks for the info and all the hard work that it took to compile the data!!! Very useful and will save me in the long run. :) Just wish I'd found it sooner!

TrueDND: Currently, the incentive to choose other Crew Crafting Skills outside of Biochem is minimal due to the fact that, once you reach max level, all gear that is acquired through PvE and PvP is better than all crafted equipment and mods (mostly through the Commendation and token vendors). Is this being looked in to?

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)

Combined with new features such as the ability to extract base-mods from purple items (including the set bonus) and the improved color matching feature, crafters of all professions will find themselves in a lot of demand once the update hits.

Just some points reiterated with a few tidbits of new information.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-24th-2012

I apologize in advance if this question was already answered but there were just too many pages to sift through.

When RE'ing is the chance to get a crit decided when the item is crafted or when you are RE'ing the crafted item?

Basically I'm asking if the crit chance is pre-determined when the item is made or when you begin RE'ing that specific item?

Sorry again if this question was already asked.

The basic premise of critical crafting is this: You have a small chance upon CRAFTING an item to "Critically craft" said item. This has differing effects based on whether the item is non-equippable and thus follows the linear path, or equippable and thus follows the prefix path.

Does this answer your question enough?

Great guide, just great. It has answered a lot of my RE related questions. Perhaps all but one.

Is it possible to RE purple armoring to get a mastercraft recipe?

For example, I have already REd Force Wielder Armoring 22(Green) -> Force Wielder Armoring 22(Blue) -> Advanced Force Wielder Armoring 22(Purple)

If I RE this purple armoring, is there a chance to get a recipe for Mastercraft Force Wielder Armoring 22(Purple)?

Maybe these mastercraft mods are crits from the advanced crafting?

Does anybody definitely know how this works exactly? I have been around the internets a lot about this, and found a lot of mixed information. If anybody knows how I can get mastercraft recipes for armoring, I would appreciate that info.

Thx in advance

In short, no. Once it's an Artifact level, that's it.

From question 1 of the FAQ part of the guide:

1. Can I reverse engineer my Artifact to gain a better schematic?

In some situations, yes, in others, no. If your item follows the linear path (mods, stims, etc.) there are no further improvements available through reverse engineering after reaching the Artifact level.

What he seemed to be referring to are the Mastercraft level mods that are displayed on sites such as TORhead. These mods are the same rank as the others, just more powerful. For example: Mastercraft level 22 Acute Enhancement

It's always possible that these actually *do* exist in-game, but there has not yet been anyone that has come forward with any proof that these can be obtained. It's very likely that they were dropped in Beta like many other crafting items.

Edited by Alsandair_Cahan

What he seemed to be referring to are the Mastercraft level mods that are displayed on sites such as TORhead. These mods are the same rank as the others, just more powerful. For example: Mastercraft level 22 Acute Enhancement

It's always possible that these actually *do* exist in-game, but there has not yet been anyone that has come forward with any proof that these can be obtained. It's very likely that they were dropped in Beta like many other crafting items.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Apparently crafting a crit on purple mod/armoring would not craft mastercraft item, but more of the same item as expected. Also REing these advanced mods/armoring probably will not give any new recipes.

All the info about these mastercraft armoring being craftable is probably from the beta, thanks for pointing that out. Also if these mastercraft mods exist, and they are BoE, there would probably be atleast 1 in the GTN at all a times, and I haven't seen one so far.

Great sticky.

Honestly, instead of saying base, prefix tier 1, prefix tier 2.....it would be a lot simpler just to say tier 1, tier 2, tier 3. Making complicated things simple > all.

To me Base/T1/T2 works better. I RE something once, it is T1. It matches with the times I have RE'd the item. I RE again, so its now twice RE'd, Its T2. Still matches. Going T1/T2/T3, works but doesnt match now how many RE's i have preformed on the item.

A question looking at a list of recipes I don't see the prefixes anywhere on the tooltip that pops up. Is it just what stat is on it or does it actually say hawkeye or redoubt etc?

It will actually have the prefix on the item.

great guide. A lot of good info. I wish i had found it earlier in the game before I made sets of tier 1 purples for my companions.

In the past 2 weeks has anyone seen a decrease in RE success ? I've done from 1 to 50 RE to get the Tier 2 recipes down to 400 plus RE now. It took me over 400 plus and I got 2 of the same crap recipes on a set of boots. Then on a belt it took me 400 to say enough and went to another item and now I'm on day 3 at almost 300 hundred of these and getting a bit pissed off now and wondering whats the deal. So anyone else seeing this or am I getting the lubeless shaft ?

It will actually have the prefix on the item.

The listed link that shows all the crafted recipes none of them depict the prefix on them is that just a list of the recipes without the prefix attached? I am sorry if I seem dense I just want to get this all straightened out before I start working on recipe learning,

After hours of crafting and RE-ing my way through stacks of mats to get a purple shotgun for my Smuggler with no success... I found this guide.... sigh...

All those wasted mats, missions, and time...

Unhappy panda...

This was me as well. I tried and tried for a purple shotgun and nothing. Thank heavens I actually found this guide! My head might have imploded if I didn't.

This is a fantastic guide and here's hoping that BIOWARE fixes the shotgun/vibroknife bug!!

Edited by tajahsparke

The listed link that shows all the crafted recipes none of them depict the prefix on them is that just a list of the recipes without the prefix attached? I am sorry if I seem dense I just want to get this all straightened out before I start working on recipe learning,

I'm not sure what link you're talking about?

Hello fellow crafters...

Please, I need a definite explanation to this.

Can I reverse engineer a purple item for different version when the base was green?

To be more specific:

Schematic bought at vendor -> Renegade Blaster -> Critical Renegade Blaster -> Leadership Renegade Blaster (Superior). Now what Im wondering is, if I keep re-engi that Leadership blaster, will it eventually give me another purple with a different pre-fix?

Another question is, that I cant get this weapon past Blue: http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/1800/ion_x_blaster/. I have tried 40-50 times without success. Bug or Feature?

Edited by ngendk