Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had this problem for some time but it seems its manifested greatly just recently. Ive had to mouse click my interrupts now because having them keybinded is risky now. I caused a couple idiot move wipes with my op group the other night because of not being able to get a interrupt off in time. It was pretty humiliating at best.

Mouse clicking seems to make it better but i hate being a clicker. BW needs to make this first priority.

This has always existed but seemed to have gotten much worse since patch 2.0 and definitely needs to be addressed again.

Definitely much more noticeable since 2.0.

Definitely time ea fixed the ability delay problem.

Devs don't care about this, guys, or our frustration. The Cartel Market is making money hand over fist.

Therefore, the game is working as (they) intended.

Be careful about those kind of posts. I've been warned 3 times, given a formal infraction, which removed my posting privileges for 3 days. Not defending them or saying it's not true, just be careful.

This is becoming one legendary thread. Bioware, please talk to us.

Even if its not fixable, just tell us something. Tell us that the next expansion will be called SWTOR2 and will be physical retail and run on a different engine or the full version of the hero engine. Tell us you will fix your engine and this will eventually work. Something, anything!

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this ability dalay traces back to the fact that the game engine of swtor is lagging.

First of all, every engine needs a certain time to process and display an input of ability or action. Within this timeframe the system is simply not able to take any other input data. This is the time between clicking of an ability and its displaying. In very simple terms time between input and output. How long this takes simply depends on the game engine´s interface. In swtor this time will even become longer than 0.5sec every now and again, when buffer runs full. Independently the process time for an ability is Probably long enough here.

In my opinion, as long as the lag remains in swtor, there is less hope for a solution of ability delay. Anyway I have considered swtor more like a "fun-game" since the beginning (over 1 year of "pre-season" in wz-window ect.). Unlike swtor, tons of work is involved in a progame like WoW (Blizzard rules, thats the fact).

If there is a solution on ability delay, it would be done highly likely before f2p. There are enough players who simply cant stop paying because of their ingame community and reputation. And thats exactly what BW want to achieve in the end. Actually profit is always be calculated before launch start.

Edited by X-Boson

Can't believe this thread still exists.

After all this time, I've just gotten used to the fact that one in ten ability activations will be an dud. At this point, if they finally get around to fixing it, I will /mourn it like the orange pixel. It has become part of the mythos surrounding SWTOR.

It's a bug, a bad one, and needs fixed instead of ignored. The fact that the last Dev post concerning this bug was a fix in 1.1.something is unbelievable considering it still hasn't been fixed.

The least they could do is put in something that would prevent the GCD from firing if an ability doesn't fire.

• 1 month later...

Right now, the most annoying thing about this bug is when my cleanse doesn't fire during NiM Writhing Horror.

Not gamebreaking, but I hope someday this can be fixed. I have noticed it a lot more lately.

EDIT: Oh... the ability delay bug is not the same as the cooldown bug?

Edited by Radzkie

Right now, the most annoying thing about this bug is when my cleanse doesn't fire during NiM Writhing Horror.

Not gamebreaking, but I hope someday this can be fixed. I have noticed it a lot more lately.

EDIT: Oh... the ability delay bug is not the same as the cooldown bug?

Ability delay and GCD skips/ghosting are the "same" in that Bioware is closing their eyes and hoping we'll stop caring about it. It (among other things) is killing this game, and it's a shame. :(

The newest plea to Bioware by people who give a hoot is here. But Bioware themselves still don't give a hoot.

Edited by Orenprax

Ability delay and GCD skips/ghosting are the "same" in that Bioware is closing their eyes and hoping we'll stop caring about it. It (among other things) is killing this game, and it's a shame. :(

The newest plea to Bioware by people who give a hoot is here. But Bioware themselves still don't give a hoot.

I think the issue maybe that they can't fix it. It's an engine problem, and since they basta**ized the Hero engine so much they're having to basically re-write the code for it. From what I read about the issue, it's a lot of stuff they have to program around. If they haven't found a fix by now, as I said, there may never be one.

I think the issue maybe that they can't fix it. It's an engine problem, and since they basta**ized the Hero engine so much they're having to basically re-write the code for it. From what I read about the issue, it's a lot of stuff they have to program around. If they haven't found a fix by now, as I said, there may never be one.

Yeah. I agree. And I know how silly they'd sound, and how quickly they'd be let go if any Dev spoke up, and said something like,

"Hey guys, we can't fix this—EA had us push this game out before it was ready, and now we're having to spend our resources on Cartel Market stuff to satisfy EA's wonts, which unfortunately leaves us without the ability to tackle core issues in the engine. We'll never be able to address these types of game-breaking bugs. I hope you'll keep playing this ~40% broken game which is as good as its ever going to get. I'm sorry to all those who held on, and supported this game, hoping we'd be able to figure out how to fix these core issues that we know are at the root of your, the players' frustrations with our product. We here at Bioware really understand the fact that we had an opportunity to manifest the most significant creation in gaming history, and kinda dropped the ball. Colossally."

but, I think that's what people are waiting to hear—silence is not what most subscribers who give a hoot feel they deserve to hear.

Yeah. I agree. And I know how silly they'd sound, and how quickly they'd be let go if any Dev spoke up, and said something like,

"Hey guys, we can't fix this—EA had us push this game out before it was ready, and now we're having to spend our resources on Cartel Market stuff to satisfy EA's wonts, which unfortunately leaves us without the ability to tackle core issues in the engine. We'll never be able to address these types of game-breaking bugs. I hope you'll keep playing this ~40% broken game which is as good as its ever going to get. I'm sorry to all those who held on, and supported this game, hoping we'd be able to figure out how to fix these core issues that we know are at the root of your, the players' frustrations with our product. We here at Bioware really understand the fact that we had an opportunity to manifest the most significant creation in gaming history, and kinda dropped the ball. Colossally."

but, I think that's what people are waiting to hear—silence is not what most subscribers who give a hoot feel they deserve to hear.

You have the memory span of a gnat if you haven't noticed the performance improvements they've been making to the engine since 1.4. It's also pretty adorable that you think having an artist or two make some armor sets for a cartel pack takes away from the programming team in any way.

Also, as a curiosity, how is the game broken? I hear that word thrown around a lot, and I don't think it's applicable. The game isn't perfect, but broken implies...that it's broken. And I mean, I'm sitting here playing it and not having any problems whatsoever so "broken" seems a bit of a misnomer. Also, from what dark place did you yank that 40%?

Edited by Kamansus

You have the memory span of a gnat if you haven't noticed the performance improvements they've been making to the engine since 1.4. It's also pretty adorable that you think having an artist or two make some armor sets for a cartel pack takes away from the programming team in any way.

Also, as a curiosity, how is the game broken? I hear that word thrown around a lot, and I don't think it's applicable. The game isn't perfect, but broken implies...that it's broken. And I mean, I'm sitting here playing it and not having any problems whatsoever so "broken" seems a bit of a misnomer. Also, from what dark place did you yank that 40%?

In this context, 'broken' would be defined as the inability of the game engine to execute precisely and consistently user inputs. The 40% number is an estimation derived from the average amount of time spent in game, personal, guild, and available general information (all anecdotal) where the engine does not execute as it is advertised to do so. Others may have come to divergent estimations; but, that's the deep dark place from where I've yanked my number.

• 4 months later...
can't believe this still isn't fixed. As the OP said, this is why people stick to WoW. I'm actually having fun in this game and could live with the delay while leveling (although it was annoying) but now that i hit 55 and start Ops it's really just frustrating.