Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?

ntoyzaster

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

TL;DR - PVE is not your style. I, for example, don't like PVP. It bores me to tears.

But I don't come to forums and bitсh about how crappy and boring PVP is for me.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP in most MMOs is lame. All of the elitist latchkey kids with their epic gear who play obsessively and the button mashing randomness of the kills has never been anything approaching fun to me. They can faceroll each other all they want. I'd rather kill bots and proceed through a storyline.

The one an only MMO I ever enjoyed PvP in was Warhammer and that was basically the only thing I liked about that game. At least Warhammer was smart enough to break the PvP groups up into Tiers.

AS somebody who doesn't PvP or at least not anymore.

I don't have a problem with class imbalance in an MMO.

A tank is not a healer nor is he/she a ranged DPS.

I expect to lose against a tank if I am doing a 1v1 as a ranged DPS.

This is NOT a problem.

Play a little PvE and you are going to see the way things are going to go.

The same rules apply.

However an NPC doesn't camp your spawn point.

1v1 is never going to be fair unless you are playing a game like chess with rules and everyone is the same.

Of course even when the sides are even people still cheat.

A 5 year old learns that if you cheat you haven't won.

It is amazing how many people never learned that lesson.

THe last time I had fun in PvP was in battletech (mechwarrior)

There every mech had points and each team had so many to spend.

So the matches were at least on paper fairly close and skill then played a part.

Open world PvP and matches that don't use a point system or some other mechanic to even out the play will inherently never be fair.

SO bottom line open world PvP you get what you get and if you want it to be fair then don't go there.

Matches on the other hand should be fair as they are organized or so it is implied.

Bio needs a point system for matches

Edited by Korizan

To me it comes down to:

- PvE is essentially about co-operation with other players

- PvP is essentially about competition with other players.

Some people enjoy co-operation, others enjoy competition.

This. In my case, for the life of me I cant understand the fascination with scripted events that also a SCRIPT could play it out better than most. And the repetition: facing the same mobs, in the same situations, in the same positions. In my eyes, its borderline ridiculous.

The only mistake the person I quoted made is that PvP is ALSO about cooperation with other players. Its playing WITH your friends vs human oponents. The "hate" the PvE community has vs the PvP community has historically began when their "shinies" didnt give them a free pass to PvP anymore with the introduction of PvP gear (which brings a LOT of other problems) and the fact that they cant get away with the playstyle Raiding and PvEing imprinted upon them.

But to each its own I guess.

If you tell me you prefer rubber dolls (NPC/PvE) over real girls (PvP), what can I say, I simply rest my case and let you be ;)

You don't even realize it as you type it but your personality is a prime example of why people would rather not participate in pvp.

Some people do this stuff to escape from reality not interact with it. And the reality is people are for the most part really, really annoying to be around. The average PVPer is ten times more annoying to be around.

Edited by savagepotato

Actually, it is because of the stories for me. And if I wanted a PvP game, I'd go for Starcraft 2 or Battlefield 3, not a character and story driven RPG.

also, as the poster above me said, different strokes for different folks.

Then again if you wanted to play SC2 you could just play SC1 same thing!!

But yah i pretty much agree with what you said.

The Story and quests are good in this game. But you could have the same thing in a single player game. Multiplayer is what defines an MMO. There are a ton of story areas only accessible to one person of a class and it's harder to get groups for dungeons, not to mention that the dungeons are pretty sad (and small).

To me, this is just a really expensive single player game at the moment.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

For the same reasons I will go watch a movie or scripted television instead of only UFC or Reality TV...better stories.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?

Because other people are just not fun to fight against. And haven't been since Atari 2600 Combat.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?

What's the year got to do with it? PVP and PVE have been around for roughly the same amount of time.

Different people enjoy different things. It's a complicated concept, I know, but I've found it to be true.

The Story and quests are good in this game. But you could have the same thing in a single player game. Multiplayer is what defines an MMO. There are a ton of story areas only accessible to one person of a class and it's harder to get groups for dungeons, not to mention that the dungeons are pretty sad (and small).

To me, this is just a really expensive single player game at the moment.

You know there is an option in the preferences to allow others of your class into your own class quest phases, right?

you said buy a single player game if you want pve elements. Well buy a multiplayer game like call of duty or some crap if you want pvp elements. two way street and for a 15 dollar a month game it damn well better have both choices.

The only good pvp I have experienced is going in with premade groups to stomp the pugs. Even then it was incredibly boring... Most pvp games, IMO, just turn into mobs of individuals where a few people work to support the group while the remainder just duel. Raids offer a chance to experience teamwork. If one person doesn't know what they are doing the whole group fails. Pvp ends up just which pug had one more person with slightly more expertise working towards accidentally helping the team...

Why I would want to fight a NPC or computer mob instead of PvP? Simple really, its waaaay more unpredictable!

A computer mob can glitch, bug or be changed by a patch!

PvP players are predictable with a 97% accuracy.

1: If they win its because they outnumber/use lame tricks/have OP classes.

2: If we win its because we have more skill and are better organized!

3: if people on my side play an class that is being called OP its ok because you CAN kill that class if you do X and X and X at the same time as 2 other players does X. So its not OP at all.

4: If the players on the other side play an class that is being called OP its lame and will kill the game fast and it will be all their fault.

5: In every fight our side was outnumbered and each of us still killed at least 10 others before dying.

6: Those few fights when its impossible to deny that our side is zerging, its ok, the other side deserve it because of X.

7: (Last but not least): Every *insert the name of what the instanced pvp arena is called in the current mmo* I'm in is a loss, my faction suck!!

These rules apply to any MMO these days. Add to that the complete predictability of which classes will be played by the "hardcore" pvp players and you know why I still like fighting NPC mobs.

(Despite this, I do like pvp and I play on a pvp server, I just dont like doing it 24/7 and I do enjoy pve quite a bit.) :D

I don't PvP in MMORPGs because to me it is a joke. FPS games do PvP well. MMORPGs do not.

That rush you feel whenever you kill an enemy player or when you beat the opposing team in PvP, I don't feel when doing PvP. I get that rush from beating PvE content, it may seem silly but that's why I play RPGs. I get excited over big boss battles and dungeons and stuff, it's what always drawn me to games like this and what will keep me playing. I play PvP some too , but I get so bored and annoyed by it, it just doesn't hold my interest the same way PvE content does.

Seriously, it's a silly debate, some people prefer PvP content and some people prefer PvE content. The fact that one is easier than the other has no merit, it's all about fun and entertainment and that's different for everyone.

When I want to PvP I go play a real PvP game like Eve Online or Lineage 2.

in swtor pvp needs some balance but right now its far better then lineage ever was.

like tank talents shouldnt work and or lower the tank dps since i think walking around a bg doing 300k+ dmg while not losing a single 1on1 cause of n hp advange of about 6k to any other class + the armor bonus ...

rogue / ops burst dmg is a joke

jedi/sith mage shouldnt be able to do 300k+ dmg and about the same amount of heal in 1 spec ...

bountyhunter rocket dmg. ( dunno the name of the skill, the one where they shoot rockets from their back ) 1 channeled skill shouldnt hit with 2-4k each tick on a full tier 2 pvp geared player no matter what class its shot on.

Sith/Jedi warrie 99% dmg reduce cooldown lasts way to long compared to what it does and what similar skills do/last (like the cloak skill of the assa/shadow for those who dont know its lasts 3 sec / 5 as tank specced)

well thats the things that concern me most about pvp right now. im quite sure that this things could be fixed if they realy would want to.

PVE is only fun for me when people take it seriously. A lot of people who think they take PVE seriously are grossly overestimating their enthusiasm and competence. The only people who I ever see take PVE seriously are PVPers. This has been true in every single MMO I've ever played.

I've never enjoyed raids conducted by people who don't PVP. Why? Because they just don't care as much. They don't want to grind, they don't want to min max, they don't get EXCITED. All the PVErs will do with that new weapon is stand around in town showing it off. A PVPer is going to go ruin someone's day with it.

PVPers get personal. You can't get personal with an NPC.

Seriously, it's a silly debate, some people prefer PvP content and some people prefer PvE content. The fact that one is easier than the other has no merit, it's all about fun and entertainment and that's different for everyone.

This, nothing is more true then this.

Both sides will claim the other way is easier/pointless/boring/take your pick, both sides make good points and both sides spew alot of bull*hit.

I'm much more of a team player. Always have been.

The few times I've PvPd it's just been full of "Me Me Me" people, and that just isn't fun to me.

If I want to compete in something I do it in sports IRL, not in a computer game I play to relax and have fun.

I know other people disagree and that's perfectly fine.

I do however wish game developers started to do pure PvE and pure PvP games instead of trying to combine the two. It always leads to balance issues one way or the other.

Edited by JenFX

Because I prefer strategy and team work? Most PVP matches become free for alls where everyone is just running around killing what they can until the timer runs out. Flashpoints require team work, setup and finally execution to get through them. That type gameplay more suits my play style rather than the PVP free for all.

This.

I do PvP on occassion but I prefer PvE mostly because of the above. And also because I enjoy the story aspect of the game. PvP gets old faster to me.

Edited by DarrkLore