Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?

ntoyzaster

Because PVP is pointless when there is no purpose to doing it other than loot.

More than that, it becomes a mindless repetitive grind, even worse than PVE because you see 3 warzones over and over, vs 12+ flashpoints and operations.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When pvp becomes as equal ground like about as much as fps do I will play it. Right now in a lot of mmo's if not all, it's all about who was able to obtain the best gear. While peoples personal skill helps, in equal skill situations gear is all that counts.

You guys don't even know what PVP is anyway... PK'ing is the real name for it- Player Killing that goes way way back. When you PK'd people they suffered HARSH death penalties and you got all their stuff. Now it's like some sort of Candyland without consequence.

No Doubt my UO brother. There hasn't been PK'ing in a long time. Harsh death penalties plus criminal status (Always flagged for pvp i.e. KOS) if you murder.

isnt the end game pvp? you level to 50 and get geared up to prove your worth against other players..not mobs. whats the point of raiding? to show how hard you can crit a mob? is that cool? you get everyone ready you go to the dungeon and it may take up to 2 hours for a drop that you may never get.. or might not be able to use. what is the point? i leveled to 50 and anything from that point on is all pvp why would one want to go back to hitting mobs and memorizing patterns? it needs to be said PVP only players are better gamers than PVE guys it takes more skill to PVP. you can be a clicker and get away with it in PVE in PVP you will get owned.

No, end game is not PVP.

UO and Lineage 2 were and probably still are the greatest games in terms of MMO pvp Maybe Tera will recapture that spirit. GW2 looks too arena based and team vs team based. its all about open world pvp no rewards for doing so and the only reward you get is knowing that the guy you killed got sent back in time losing hours of his life due to exp loss from harsh death penaltys. that is good pvp.

I used to like pvp, back in the day when it was all or nothing (UO style being red and flagged a murderer or before that patch a Dread Lord, killing people and taking their stuff), where you could loot your opponent dry but if you lost he could do the same....warzones dont give an adrenaline rush...you know full well youll die at least once and you dont loose a thing, not even time to run back to your corpse...

So why do you like to do the same thing over and over again? Attack someone, kill him or you die when focussed....

Do you like it because its easy and requires very little skill or tactics and even if you loose, you win eventually trough commendations and daily quest grind gearing?

Warzones are just 1 big Zerg and the side with the most healers wins...

so why do you like the current pvp?

Because i think its a waste of my time, i can better spend on voice over storyline, character development and figuring out how to kill a raidboss or hardmode bosses...

The current pvp model is lackluster at best...

I dont like the current pvp either , i dont like it there is gear levels and the advantage people get from gear , i dont like it that the system doesn't give a chance to minority i dont like many things but still i find it way more fun and exciting than doing PVE i just wanna know why people prefer doing PVE is it because they die a lot ? they feel useless ? they feel disappointment every time they die ?

For the most part it's great, I'm very disappointed by the lack of playable cathar though, gonna be even more pissed if they arent a legacy system unlock released in march =/

Hehe, I agree about Cathar... If there are two species I'd love to be added, it's Cathar and Nautolan :)

If I wanna fight other humans, then I go play a pure fps game, don't much like pvp in mmo's.

Too damm many skills and bottoms to keep track of :p

Or paintball. Or martial art. or fencing.

plenty of MUCH BETTER possibility to game-fight other human than MMO.

When I raid, I'm not fighting NPCs - I'm fighting Bioware. I'm testing myself against the challenges that the game developers can come up with.

I find that far more rewarding than dropping myself into an arena with two dozen prepubescent, snotty little kids that have no idea what organization is. Really, PvP only has three scenarios:

1. You're on a team full of idiots, against an organized premade.

2. You're on a team full of idiots, against a team full of idiots.

3. You're on an organized premade, against a team full of idiots.

In none of those scenarios does player skill really mean much. If you're on the idiot team, no amount of skill will make up for the lack of organization presented by your so called 'allies'. If you're on the premade team, you're not really challenging yourself or your fellow players by stomping on disorganized imbeciles.

Any way you put it, there is no intelligence in pvp.

Thank you for your constructive reply!

Because I no longer play games to be competitive with others.

But still, if I wanted to PvP, why in an MMO, with its built-in inequity structure (I'm not talking balancing classes here)? I'd much rather have a match in a FPS/TPS or RTS where we start equally, and it's up to me and my SKILL vs another with their SKILL, and not their levels or (I think) their gear.

Edited by Zhiroc

Or paintball. Or martial art. or fencing.

plenty of MUCH BETTER possibility to game-fight other human than MMO.

Not into paintball, but love getting out in that world beyound the screen and play hardball :)

Hoping I'll be able to try out some real painfull fun wiht fx-ammo and real weapons soon :D

I PVP in games that require skill to do so. IE - FPS

MMO PVP is and has always been Gear over skill. Who ever has the best gear will win. When this changes I will PVP.

I play an MMO for the immersion into a fantasy world and exploring said world with alot of people.

That and PVP folks for the most part are the worst kind of people in video games. At least back in the UO days there was some respect between people killing each other. These days most people have zero manners, compassion, or respect for another person. Put them behind the anonymity of a computer screen and it just amplifies their character flaws.

isnt the end game pvp? you level to 50 and get geared up to prove your worth against other players..not mobs. whats the point of raiding? to show how hard you can crit a mob? is that cool? you get everyone ready you go to the dungeon and it may take up to 2 hours for a drop that you may never get.. or might not be able to use. what is the point? i leveled to 50 and anything from that point on is all pvp why would one want to go back to hitting mobs and memorizing patterns? it needs to be said PVP only players are better gamers than PVE guys it takes more skill to PVP. you can be a clicker and get away with it in PVE in PVP you will get owned.

"PVP only players are better gamers than PVE guys it takes more skill to PVP. "

Nope. Those are different set of skills. Plus nowadays PVP is much less about skill and much more about items. You wanna get a game where skills matter ? Try chess. Try strategy games like starcraft. Try ANY game where the starting position are identical. Try FPS.

PVP in modern MMO, are almost NEVER about skill, and much more about having an advantage before the fight starts. PVP in modern MMO is more like one chess party where one side has super dupper ultra epic expertise queen which can spring over other chess pieces, whereas the bishop can randomly teleport. Oh and you can get a number of move before your opponent, and your opponent potentially cannot move some of his pieces because he does not have the "skill yet" to do it (level 50 WZ against level 10 without CC).

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?......

Mostly because the of the Players that PvP themselves. I have seldom enjoyed PvP or PvP servers of any MMO in the last 5 years or so. PvPers in my opinion can be very rude, obnoxious, and irritating. Some Players can be just as poorly behaved on PvE servers yes, but almost always the experience on PvP servers has been much worse in my own experience. Doesn't matter what MMO it is... it is the mindset, the attitudes and the social behavior of PvP Players that I find irritating, and no amount of game rules can fix that.

It wasn't always this way. I started playing MMOs in a real PvP masterpiece of a MMO that I will refrain from naming here. I had a very enjoyable time and it is why I got hooked on MMOs in the first place. Sadly all things change and the biggest change in MMOs has been the Players themselves.

No amount of "reward" will ever again entice me to play on a PvP server, no matter what MMO it is.

I hope that helps to answer your questions Ntoyzaster.

Edited by Kyrmius

I PVP in games that require skill to do so. IE - FPS

MMO PVP is and has always been Gear over skill. Who ever has the best gear will win. When this changes I will PVP.

couldnt say it better.

See you in GW2 :)

Edited by Rykzon

Not into paintball, but love getting out in that world beyound the screen and play hardball :)

Hoping I'll be able to try out some real painfull fun wiht fx-ammo and real weapons soon :D

I was more into fencing, but nowadays I am getting old. Once you start using too much finger to count the decades any kind of physical game is exhausting.

This is my opinion that MMO PvP is all about getting an unfair advantage over the other side through game mechanics, bringing more people or having better equipment.

Games that are pure PvP try to minimise this so matches again others are actually fair so player skill really matter.

This is my opinion that MMO PvP is all about getting an unfair advantage over the other side through game mechanics, bringing more people or having better equipment.

Games that are pure PvP try to minimise this so matches again others are actually fair so player skill really matter.

And the best example of this : chess and its various local variation. Both side starts with the same equal pieces.

That is the true essence of game PVP.

MMO PVP is a joke and need not much skill, mostly patience.

Edited by Aepervius