Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?

ntoyzaster

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

I used to like pvp, back in the day when it was all or nothing (UO style being red and flagged a murderer or before that patch a Dread Lord, killing people and taking their stuff), where you could loot your opponent dry but if you lost he could do the same....warzones dont give an adrenaline rush...you know full well youll die at least once and you dont loose a thing, not even time to run back to your corpse...

So why do you like to do the same thing over and over again? Attack someone, kill him or you die when focussed....

Do you like it because its easy and requires very little skill or tactics and even if you loose, you win eventually trough commendations and daily quest grind gearing?

Warzones are just 1 big Zerg and the side with the most healers wins...

so why do you like the current pvp?

Because i think its a waste of my time, i can better spend on voice over storyline, character development and figuring out how to kill a raidboss or hardmode bosses...

The current pvp model is lackluster at best...

Edited by Archess

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?

That's completely fine you can't figure it out. You don't need to. There are plenty of other games out there. Also, welcome to the RPG genre.

If you tell me you prefer rubber dolls (NPC/PvE) over real girls (PvP), what can I say, I simply rest my case and let you be ;)

Sorry dude, but this is one of the worst and most inaccurate analogies I've ever seen in my life. And I won't bother to explain why, you should be able to figure it out yourself.

Nothing personal or anything... But seriously it's a failed analogy.

Edited by archifikoss

If you tell me you prefer rubber dolls (NPC/PvE) over real girls (PvP), what can I say, I simply rest my case and let you be ;)

If you want to use that analogy, use it correctly. The rubber doll implies that PvE is static and non-repsonsive. The E in PvE is definitely lively and response, if in a different way from the P in PvP. So a better analogy would be if you prefer women or men. Same act, different opponents. Ergo: personal preference.

Hell, I can probably even make the rubber doll argument stick, if I really wanted to, but let's not go there :p

When I raid, I'm not fighting NPCs - I'm fighting Bioware. I'm testing myself against the challenges that the game developers can come up with.

I find that far more rewarding than dropping myself into an arena with two dozen prepubescent, snotty little kids that have no idea what organization is. Really, PvP only has three scenarios:

1. You're on a team full of idiots, against an organized premade.

2. You're on a team full of idiots, against a team full of idiots.

3. You're on an organized premade, against a team full of idiots.

In none of those scenarios does player skill really mean much. If you're on the idiot team, no amount of skill will make up for the lack of organization presented by your so called 'allies'. If you're on the premade team, you're not really challenging yourself or your fellow players by stomping on disorganized imbeciles.

Any way you put it, there is no intelligence in pvp.

In 2012 real PvPers play FPS, actuallt real PvPers have been doing that for years. I know those games take more skill than just putting in time to gear up to own noobs but oh well. Sorry back to your imagined talk of skilled competition in MMO PvP.

Oh how very true, I worded my post a little more kindly, but this is basicly what it said.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

Imagine that, other people have completely different taste from you, the horror that must have happened to you when you realized that the world does not revolve around you.

I play this game as solo cause it's a Star wars game and a really big one at that.

I love the game cause you CAN play it (story and WQ) as a complete SP, so this is MY Kotor 3-9 etc.

Now the beauty for me is that I get to enjoy PvP and grouping is I like, so for me it is ALL win.

Sadly for you, you play only PvP and treat it like an MW3 or BF3 game, cause if I wanted to play Human vs Human I'd play that instead.

This is RPG in my mind so PvP is the MINOR bonus, not the other way around.

So think before you post, taste and how we play is completely subjective as is everything.

When I raid, I'm not fighting NPCs - I'm fighting Bioware. I'm testing myself against the challenges that the game developers can come up with.

I find that far more rewarding than dropping myself into an arena with two dozen prepubescent, snotty little kids that have no idea what organization is. Really, PvP only has three scenarios:

In none of those scenarios does player skill really mean much. If you're on the idiot team, no amount of skill will make up for the lack of organization presented by your so called 'allies'. If you're on the premade team, you're not really challenging yourself or your fellow players by stomping on disorganized imbeciles.

Wow best pvp analogy ever :) , imma gonna keep this somewhere safe lol...

Cant agree more on this...

PvE vs PvP..

This debate has gone on as long as I have been a gamer and it will continue.

Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly. Just because an aspect of the game doesn't appeal to you doens't mean that it doesn't appeal to others. It's not that one part of the game is better or worse than another.

So people play in whatever way they enjoy the most.

Personally I find PvP dull and I don't enjoy it. It's a chore. But I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

You probably don't remember me, but I remember your posts from 2009 when I joined on my old account (specifically the alternate combat system proposal)... How are you enjoying this game? I'm curious because I don't see too many people from back then on the boards, and I remember you had some pretty "radical" gameplay ideas...

In 2012 real PvPers play FPS, actually real PvPers have been doing that for years. I know those games take more skill than just putting in time to gear up to own noobs but oh well. Sorry back to your imagined talk of skilled competition in MMO PvP.

I agree. They have been doing so since... 1993 when Doom came out?

isnt the end game pvp? you level to 50 and get geared up to prove your worth against other players..not mobs. whats the point of raiding? to show how hard you can crit a mob? is that cool? you get everyone ready you go to the dungeon and it may take up to 2 hours for a drop that you may never get.. or might not be able to use. what is the point? i leveled to 50 and anything from that point on is all pvp why would one want to go back to hitting mobs and memorizing patterns? it needs to be said PVP only players are better gamers than PVE guys it takes more skill to PVP. you can be a clicker and get away with it in PVE in PVP you will get owned.

You probably don't remember me, but I remember your posts from 2009 when I joined on my old account (specifically the alternate combat system proposal)... How are you enjoying this game? I'm curious because I don't see too many people from back then on the boards, and I remember you had some pretty "radical" gameplay ideas...

For the most part it's great, I'm very disappointed by the lack of playable cathar though, gonna be even more pissed if they arent a legacy system unlock released in march =/

In 2012 real PvPers play FPS, actuallt real PvPers have been doing that for years. I know those games take more skill than just putting in time to gear up to own noobs but oh well. Sorry back to your imagined talk of skilled competition in MMO PvP.

LOL dont imagine things i didnt say , i enjoy pure FPS games i was playing counter-strike for many many years , i dont like modern fps because they add perks , levels, weapons upgrades etc the main reason i play this game is to play with my friends (our community started in counter-strike lol)now back to the topic , what kind of enjoyment do you get from killing NPC and you prefer it over PVP ?!!