Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?

ntoyzaster

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not, PvP players are a very small subset of the MMO community. It is for this reason that PvP games do not take off like some say a good one will.

Thems the breaks. PvPers do a lot to ensure that their numbers never grow with their adolescent attitudes and 4chan leet speak. Anyone could play COD or other such games for 2 min and be turned off of PVP in every game for a lifetime.

Because I prefer strategy and team work? Most PVP matches become free for alls where everyone is just running around killing what they can until the timer runs out. Flashpoints require team work, setup and finally execution to get through them. That type gameplay more suits my play style rather than the PVP free for all.

Have you ever done PVP with a group ? or you always play solo ? because the strategy & team work arguments are invalid.

I am all with you bro. That's why I always laughed at the PvErs in WoW, when they complained about PvP affecting PvE. We are the salt of the earth. Dear PvEing brothers, come join us, free your spirit and enjoy real fighting!

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

The fact that this game's npc AI is retarded doesnt mean all mmos have this issue. Look at gw2's npcs, archers are able to kite you while running away from you or strafing around you, monsters about to die flee, bosses AI and skills adapt to the amount of people participating etc etc.. PVE can be challenging and require skill ( i dont mean like in wow or swtor where beating a raid boss requires a specific choreography).

There is a future for pve, we re just not entirely there yet.

Edited by fenrylwizard

I went to a party yesterday, and they served cake. Now I'm a pie man, but hey, I'll try it. The cake smelled great coming out of the oven and I got real excited, but after eating I found it a bit dry and not really fulfulling my need for refreshment. I can't understand why people like still cake in 2012 when pie is obviously so much tastier and more varied...

Ehm... You think this hits the nail on the head?

If you would use an example, from a certain area of human activity, including rubber dolls and real girls, we could talk about this, but using cake and pies, milk and water, coffee and tea... I dont think you get it right! :p

Go play StarCraft II or Street Fighter IV, then cry there after you get your butt handed to you in a bag.

It's called Genres.

Oh and 2/10

i own both games and play them occasionally starcraft II is to hardcore for my taste and i play street fighter with friends on PS3.I never said that SWTOR is the best PVP game around , i just like the star wars universe and enjoy the game so far.

What's the 2/10 supposed to mean ?

Ehm... You think this hits the nail on the head?

If you would use an example, from a certain area of human activity, including rubber dolls and real girls, we could talk about this, but using cake and pies, milk and water, coffee and tea... I dont think you get it right! :p

And pray tell, why not? It illustrates the fact that different people like different things. And that's exactly what this boils down to: personal preference, and people that can't believe others can like something they themselves don't.

Because they are generally 17 or younger with something to prove? I'm 40 years old and hanging out with teens with angst isn't fun. Your jokes aren't funny to me and there's a definite generation gap.

Even though I've always done decently at PVP it just isn't enjoyable anymore. To me it's like grinding mobs with a repetition that is just plain boring.

PVPers also have the worst most entitled attitudes in the MMO genre. They want their entire game to be balanced and ESPORTish... PVP mechanics and PVE mechanics don't work well together. There will never be a way to balance either side around the other without problems.

Example. I need certain skills to defeat a certain boss. In come the PVP crowd saying that skill is OP and needs nerfing. Company listens and they nerf completely ruining the PVE dynamic.

They are just a blight on the MMO genre and have pulled many games down with their demands.

You guys don't even know what PVP is anyway... PK'ing is the real name for it- Player Killing that goes way way back. When you PK'd people they suffered HARSH death penalties and you got all their stuff. Now it's like some sort of Candyland without consequence.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

Because not everyone likes to play the way you do?

why would anyone play soccer when rugby is so much more awesome?

because not everyone likes rugby.

same thing.

And pray tell, why not? It illustrates the fact that different people like different things. And that's exactly what this boils down to: personal preference, and people that can't believe others can like something they themselves don't.

If you tell me you prefer rubber dolls (NPC/PvE) over real girls (PvP), what can I say, I simply rest my case and let you be ;)

Edited by Baudrillard

Because they are generally 17 or younger with something to prove? I'm 40 years old and hanging out with teens with angst isn't fun. Your jokes aren't funny to me and there's a definite generation gap.

Even though I've always done decently at PVP it just isn't enjoyable anymore. To me it's like grinding mobs with a repetition that is just plain boring.

PVPers also have the worst most entitled attitudes in the MMO genre. They want their entire game to be balanced and ESPORTish... PVP mechanics and PVE mechanics don't work well together. There will never be a way to balance either side around the other without problems.

Example. I need certain skills to defeat a certain boss. In come the PVP crowd saying that skill is OP and needs nerfing. Company listens and they nerf completely ruining the PVE dynamic.

They are just a blight on the MMO genre and have pulled many games down with their demands.

You guys don't even know what PVP is anyway... PK'ing is the real name for it- Player Killing that goes way way back. When you PK'd people they suffered HARSH death penalties and you got all their stuff. Now it's like some sort of Candyland without consequence.

pfft I've been PVPing since Tennis for Two on an analog computer hooked up to an oscilloscope... we had to walk barefoot in 10 feet of snow, uphill, both ways and possibly contract polio on the way to PK people... damn kids

Edited by Liquidacid

Basically, to answer the original question, I don't engage in lame, zero consequence PvP. This includes this game, WoW, CoD and many many others. When I PvP I want there to be consequence and risk involved. When I win, I want my my opponent to have lost something, and for me to be able to take his stuff, when I loose, I expect to be deprived of everything I had on me at the time. I don't want pre-arranged matches, with objectives set by the game and numerically even sides, I want to hunt and catch people when they're vulnerable, outnumbered and outgunned, while always having to watch my back for the people trying to do the same to me. Anything less I just find totally lacking in any excitement. Hence I come to games like TOR and WoW to excercise my inner carebear and bash NPCs with mates, and I play games like EVE for my PvP fix.

Spot on

I went to a party yesterday, and they served cake. Now I'm a pie man, but hey, I'll try it. The cake smelled great coming out of the oven and I got real excited, but after eating I found it a bit dry and not really fulfulling my need for refreshment. I can't understand why people like still cake in 2012 when pie is obviously so much tastier and more varied...

Your point is VALID and you're the first one so far.

If you tell me you prefer rubber dolls (NPC/PvE) over real girls (PvP), what can I say, I simply rest my case and let you be ;)

Not even close to being a valid example. Unless you have some pretty serious inter-personal issues and like PvP WAY too much.

Your point is VALID and you're the first one so far.

I had a very valid point, granted it wasn't actually adressing the OP but still...

Edited by aimbotcfg

Leveling up process is to learn your character , how the system & abilities work etc

For those of us who love RPGs, leveling is the main game. Because we like to see our characters grow, become stronger, get new abilities, progress within the story. when we reach max level, when the only thing that makes our character grow is its wardrobe, we get bored.

This doesn't ring true for everyone of course, and definitely not most MMOers (hence my use of "RPGers" instead of "MMOers"). But its true for me, and I know I'm not alone in this.

"Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?"

Duh. Why are they single player game like skyrim ? Why indeed ?

Should I even bother to answer this ?

OK : some player like a good story and don't care for PVP.

Me I like a bit of both which is why I am on PVE server and do WZ PVP.

PVP vs PVE is a question of TASTE.

I have to wonder why people think that something as subjective as taste should suddenly stop being subjective and lead to generalized conclusion that in 2012 nobody should like PVE.

Hey, it is 2012 and i still think coffee taste like old socks and I dislike it, but you will take my strawberry milk from my old lady cold dead hand. I am not going around saying that everybody drinking coffee is insane or should have stopped it now it is 2012.

In 2012 real PvPers play FPS, actuallt real PvPers have been doing that for years. I know those games take more skill than just putting in time to gear up to own noobs but oh well. Sorry back to your imagined talk of skilled competition in MMO PvP.