Is RE broke?

Priam

Agreed. Surprised not more people are catching on.

Most player crafted purple gear blows orange and daily gear out of the water, the aug slot is just a cherry on top. When done correctly they are on par if not still better then Tier 1 raid gear and when compared to tier 2 raid gear, it's still debatable.

One day people will notice I guess. :-/

Lets take a look at artifice, the highest hilts, crystals, and enhancement slots you can make are 22. You can get better than that off daily vendors. Even the lowest pvp/tionise gear is better. Not that you're going to make them. They cost 40,000-60,000 in components to make, and sell for 1/2 that.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Master Artifice, trying to RE lightsaber hilts have by far the worst chance of success compared to the enhancements, shields and crystals. Not saying the system is completely broken, just far too expensive for the effort collecting so few resources only to have them fail. Wonderful money sink isn't it?

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

When?

The fact that since launch I haven't had a grade 3 or 4 blue diplomacy gear show up in my inventory and that was sent to "the appropriate team" never to be heard from again. Realistically you nerf Surge fairly quickly but the code for RE'ing eludes BW? I guess BW didn't employ top tier talent.

I really can't think of a shiny example of how SWTOR/BW broke the mold for the MMORPG. The game is still meh

RE is not broken. come on think about it folks this way. RE is the big jackpot lottery you just might get lucky the first time or you may never see it. if rares came up often then what would they become?? everyone has it. it becomes a normal item.

I have done biochem for a while and last night was the first time i have gotten anything above average. It is hit and miss. that is what makes it thrilling when you do get lucky and hit that one item.

No sytem is perfect but so is life.....

RE is not broken. come on think about it folks this way. RE is the big jackpot lottery you just might get lucky the first time or you may never see it.

Lotto, good analogy. Let's consider Reverse Engineering to be the same as scratch-off tickets.

If the scratch-off lotto tickets are supposed have a 1:1000 chance of winning, but are printed with a 1:5000 chance of winning, the lottery is 'broken.'

Too many new crafters are saying they think it's fine,they've got 3 or 4 purple recipes after only 20 or 30 RE's,this may seem like the norm to them but those of us who've been doing it (in my case I swapped from max armstech to biochem about 10 days ago) know what the success rate used to be and know that currently the system is,indeed,broken.

I'm not asking for every RE to give a purple but at least give us a sporting chance of critting RE and not learning a schematic I already know....It's for this reason I stopped RE'ing,just collecting/storing mats and waiting for the fix before I start crafting and researching again and I bet I'm not alone in this.

RE is not broken. come on think about it folks this way. RE is the big jackpot lottery you just might get lucky the first time or you may never see it. if rares came up often then what would they become?? everyone has it. it becomes a normal item.

I have done biochem for a while and last night was the first time i have gotten anything above average. It is hit and miss. that is what makes it thrilling when you do get lucky and hit that one item.

Yes, it is broken. It has been stated so by BW in this very thread. Please troll elsewhere.

here's something that might interest people:

opening champion bags seems to yield better results when in a large ops group... the more players, the better the results.

this same logic seems to apply to RE chances as well... seriously, join an ops group of 12+ people, and the RE rates seem to go up. i'm wondering if the RNG system they use for reverse engineering is in some way tied to the regular loot "rules" within the game.

here's something that might interest people:

opening champion bags seems to yield better results when in a large ops group... the more players, the better the results.

this same logic seems to apply to RE chances as well... seriously, join an ops group of 12+ people, and the RE rates seem to go up. i'm wondering if the RNG system they use for reverse engineering is in some way tied to the regular loot "rules" within the game.

That's quite interesting. It makes a certain sense. Tough to test, however.

Too many new crafters are saying they think it's fine,they've got 3 or 4 purple recipes after only 20 or 30 RE's,this may seem like the norm to them but those of us who've been doing it (in my case I swapped from max armstech to biochem about 10 days ago) know what the success rate used to be and know that currently the system is,indeed,broken.

I'm not asking for every RE to give a purple but at least give us a sporting chance of critting RE and not learning a schematic I already know....It's for this reason I stopped RE'ing,just collecting/storing mats and waiting for the fix before I start crafting and researching again and I bet I'm not alone in this.

I've been doing it since about a week into the game, and I see absolutely no change in the rate. You HAVE a sporting chance, it just isn't good enough for you. How about a 50% chance? That would probably be enough to stop most people from complaining about it. Some still will of course.

You're expecting too much of people. They want everything given easily to THEM and no one else. I'm sure increasing the RE rate will make them happy though, not like there will be any complaining about how bad the market is. Or how so-and-so got the schem in two RE's and they've already tried two times but no schem so surely RE must be broken.

So my 120 RE's of a blue implant in 2 days and 4 duplicate schematics is normal? Odd that I never saw a "you already know that schematic" before a week or 10 days ago.

Really? Lucky you, I've been seeing it for weeks.

And, uh, you do realize that the more schems you get the more chance there would be of getting "you already know that schematic"? I mean, if you have no schematics and you RE you aren't likely to get it, now are you? Hate to state the obvious but clearly the obvious can't be seen by a lot of people.

Edited by Larkie

Simple fix.

Increase the RE chance and reduce the chance of purple resources dropping from missions.

The majority of people can get in a "reasonable" time frame (NOT easy but reasonable) the puple item they NEED but as the resources needed to make them are scarce then the market will not be flooded, they will be able to make what they can use unless they go hardcore on missions. The already known schematic issue or variants you dont want becomes less of a problem as well as the pain of getting an RE crit is less.

I understand this will be flamed by the hardcore crafters as they will no longer be able to farm purples at the rate they are today, but it would balance the crafting skills far more evenly.

So my 120 RE's of a blue implant in 2 days and 4 duplicate schematics is normal? Odd that I never saw a "you already know that schematic" before a week or 10 days ago.

agreed, i RE'd over 250 blues, and i got "you already know that schematic" FOUR TIMES! this was on cybertech (max skill) when i was on my biochem making implants (max skill), RE things, i never once got that "you know that schematic" thing, until recently, past week or so aswell :eek:

But what has been ticking me off this week is the Reverse Engineering nerf, i just can't believe it hasn't been. I used to need 5-10 items from green to blue, i wont bother getting better then blue for companions. But this week with well over 90 craft across 2 toons and ONLY 1 SINGLE BLUE schematic to show for it, ridiculous.

I don't think there was a nerf. In poker we call this "variance."

I love the people saying its not broken, and its meant to be hard to make items rare. Clearly you dont craft and havent crafted ive been doing it from the start and it was never this hard untill 3 weeks ago then it basically takes 200+ blue items to get a purple. Which lets face it maybe rare but its certainly not epic in anyway. Even if we do craft it, it will have cost so much and is sooo undervalued by players at the moment i will barely make a profit.. now add in 150 + items WASTED on reverse engineering i would have to sell 40 odd purples to break even.

Reverse engineering and fixing it is a start.

But there NEEDS to be something decent to craft... i honestly have no reason to craft any more im just stock piling all the blue biometric crystals i get from hard modes and all of my materials on the off chance they make some more rare schematics lootable in the future with something worth while to craft which people actually want to spend money on and is fun to make.

Also the GTN needs a greater than 50 limit! and a longer time limit than 2 days would be nice for us regular sellers. All your doing is wasting our time and forcing us to send all our items to alts to sell... why not just increase the limit.

I love the people saying its not broken, and its meant to be hard to make items rare. Clearly you dont craft and havent crafted ive been doing it from the start and it was never this hard untill 3 weeks ago then it basically takes 200+ blue items to get a purple. Which lets face it maybe rare but its certainly not epic in anyway. Even if we do craft it, it will have cost so much and is sooo undervalued by players at the moment i will barely make a profit.. now add in 150 + items WASTED on reverse engineering i would have to sell 40 odd purples to break even.

Reverse engineering and fixing it is a start.

But there NEEDS to be something decent to craft... i honestly have no reason to craft any more im just stock piling all the blue biometric crystals i get from hard modes and all of my materials on the off chance they make some more rare schematics lootable in the future with something worth while to craft which people actually want to spend money on and is fun to make.

Also the GTN needs a greater than 50 limit! and a longer time limit than 2 days would be nice for us regular sellers. All your doing is wasting our time and forcing us to send all our items to alts to sell... why not just increase the limit.

First off yes i have been crafting with 4 different toons 2 light and 2 dark. I have ran all of them over 300 and sending my companions out to gather resources for me. so I do know what is like. I also have played much harder crafting systems. where you crafted experimented spent time and resources for what to try again?? Yep that is the way it suppose to work.

I personally don't think I expect too much from people. I think people would love to everything adapted to them. But my opinion is mine and to most peps it stinks :)

I agree the time has to be longer forsale of items maybe 2 weeks??!! but this has two ways of looking at it first you give others chance to get the credits to buy your items.

the down side of this is people will begin to flood the market with items and it will take you an hour to go rhrough them. Increasing the limit above 50. No... peps again flood the market and again it would take forever to find a good or useable item.

the other thought I had was this... Yes after reading the post by others maybe the odds should go down a lil. like your crafting an item your level 35 and the level of the item is say 20 you SHOULD have a better chance of dropping a better item. Once you have gotten the better item your odds should go down on the next level. however if an item is above your level and try to RE it it should be hard to get anything out of it at least you get some resources out of it..

Just face it the more they tweak it the more complaints of how they broke and one group is going to say how the other group has an advantage and so on etc....

I've been crafting since day one and have not seen a noticeable change on lower level items. I think that it's getting harder for my artifice guy because it gets harder on higher level items.

I might be wrong but I just started a Biochem guy and his RE reminds me of artifice when I first started out.

For my artifice guy - This weekend I got a new Purple crystal recipe for a level 40ish crystal on the first try. Other times it takes 10-15 tries. Sometimes it seems like it never procs but that's no different than December. In December I spent like two weeks trying to get a yellow level 7 purple crit crystal the damn thing just wouldn't proc and then it became a challenge/curiosity to see how long it would take. Eventually I gave up because after God only knows how many tries I never got it. That was in December that that started and I still don't have it.

I don't think that's broken.

Now the point about hitting 50 in artifice and having no good recipes is disheartening but I'm not 50 yet so don't know anything about that personally yet.