Is RE broke?

Priam

If you dumb down the level of being able to RE stuff and learn schematics very easily ( which is a HORRIBLE IDEA) then remove all pet missions and make them get there own matts. The system at the moment works well and many others have said the same thing dont listen to the minority.

If anything i would make it harder its a mmo afterall your suppose to work for it not just be given everything at the drop of a hat.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dumb down the level of being able to RE stuff and learn schematics very easily ( which is a HORRIBLE IDEA) then remove all pet missions and make them get there own matts. The system at the moment works well and many others have said the same thing dont listen to the minority.

If anything i would make it harder its a mmo afterall your suppose to work for it not just be given everything at the drop of a hat.

Then make it something you can actually work towards. Some crew skills can be massively more successful than others because of the disparity in gathering in the game. If some skills can farm items from killing mobs then all should be allowed the same opportunity.

And dont try to defend useless affixs on REing, there is no reason that each item class cant have its own unique class of affixs to upgrade to that has a practical use. The time to RE things is fine, the wasted effort on the missions is silly.

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

In an upcoming patch? That could be from tomorrow till ragnarok. Is it possible to get a little more specific? It seems answers we do get is usually 'in an upcoming patch' which in turn, is not really any information at all.

In an upcoming patch? That could be from tomorrow till ragnarok. Is it possible to get a little more specific? It seems answers we do get is usually 'in an upcoming patch' which in turn, is not really any information at all.

Don't count on a specific date or a patch. MMO developers are notoriously stingy with those kinds of details. Blizzard have said that if they do mention a date or patch but the feature or fix gets cancelled or delayed, the playerbase flips its lid because a 'promise' wasn't kept.

I do hope they also look into removing several prefixes, like +shield on an overkill item or DPS stats on a redoubt item.

Edited by Maranea

Now that probably explains why I've been trying so hard with my low level (0 - 120) Synthweaver to get any blue or purple discoveries.

It is starting to piss me off a bit not being able to get the patterns at this low level. I lost count how many items I've made.

With my Higher level Armormech I kept discovering patterns with very few tries while leveling up and even with items level 49 the percentage of success was very acceptable.

I understand some people want this on "Hard Mode", but most of the subs come from casual players and players that don't have all day to be "working" in the game because they need to actually be working outside the game.

Even if that was the case, I almost can never find what im looking for in the GTN so I invest the time that I have trying to make it myself.

And all of this is happening after the patch. I don't have time to come home to play slot machine. :D

Edited by Eskulcar

Wonder if we'll see any kind of compensation for this latest mess up?

I was maxed armstech....took me 93 RE's to go from blue to purple lvl 50 assault cannon (sad I know but I kept count) with no duplicate recipes,cost me well over 2m for mats and god knows how much time farming for metals.

Last week I bit the bullet and decided armstech would never be a viable crewskill and dropped it for biotech (oddly not so much for the consumables but because I haven't been able to find the implant I wanted so guessed I'd have to make it). Things went ok until I got the blue lvl 50 recipe I needed and started churning them out with my all-maxed-affection crew and got the "you already know that schematic" message 4 times in 2 days and NO other purple recipe,not even a cruddy one with presence on which at least would have told me the system still worked.

So I've been farming mats for nearly a week only to be told now that I've wasted all my time and cash trying to make something in a system that they (I believe) tried to stealth nerf and managed to break?

What about my purple implant? What about the ~4 million if not more I've pumped in? Bet that's something I'm never gonna see again.

It'll be an even bigger kick in the teeth if those of us who've drained our coffers,our alts coffers and spent gametime getting mats will be rewarded for our hard work by people who've not had to go through our pain being handed an easy way to get what we've sweated blood and failed to get!

Edited by Germ

I understand some people want this on "Hard Mode", but most of the subs come from casual players and players that don't have all day to be "working" in the game because they need to actually be working outside the game.

Even if that was the case, I almost can never find what im looking for in the GTN so I invest the time that I have trying to make it myself.

Thing is though, if they want TOR to have a working economy (which I believe they said they do), rare stuff has to be hard to get/make. Otherwise everyone would be making it, and market would collapse.

Being a casual gamer pretty much means having limited playtime. It doesn't/shouldn't stop you from enjoying content, things just take longer. If they balance things so a guy who plays 30 mins a day can get the rarest epic recipe in a few days, how rare would that really be then? :)

(disclaimer: I have a full-time job + some studies, no I can't "compete" with people who play 12 hours a day. I can still do the same things - it just takes longer. Also means that content lasts longer for me - look at the bright side :))

Edited by Freor

You guys are going to ruin this game... The RE chance should not be increased, it should be DECREASED. Try to think for one second about the market and not just your own instant gratification.

I am assuming your one of the lucky ones who got the schems quite easily

Why should it be that someone who got lucky can make all that creds or have the better gear compared to possibly someone whos put alot more time, effort and creds into it but been done over by the RNG.

Edited by Leopoldo

Thing is though, if they want TOR to have a working economy (which I believe they said they do), rare stuff has to be hard to get/make. Otherwise everyone would be making it, and market would collapse.

Being a casual gamer pretty much means having limited playtime. It doesn't/shouldn't stop you from enjoying content, things just take longer. If they balance things so a guy who plays 30 mins a day can get the rarest epic recipe in a few days, how rare would that really be then? :)

(disclaimer: I have a full-time job + some studies, no I can't "compete" with people who play 12 hours a day. I can still do the same things - it just takes longer. Also means that content lasts longer for me - look at the bright side :))

I'm sorry, but I don't consider an economy where the folks lucky enough to get the right recipe can sell stull while nobody else can a working economy.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider an economy where the folks lucky enough to get the right recipe can sell stull while nobody else can a working economy.

It's just how it works I'm afraid. Supply and demand. If it's too easy to make, supply becomes too big compared to demand - why would you buy it if you can just make it yourself.

There's nothing stopping others from getting the same recipe either. It just takes time/luck. And that's the thing - is it worth to keep trying to make it myself, or buy it.

How MUCH time/luck each thing needs is subject to evaluation of course. And yeah from what I've read getting the "you already know this" thing sucks, things like that should get fixed/changed. But they can't hand everything to us on silver platter - there's not much to do if they did.

yeah its a little frustrating for me sometimes spending about 2 weeks RE'ing blues, but its not supposed to be easy and I accept that. It's a much better system IMO than lets say

eq2 where leveling your crafting means not being able to level your toon at the same time, not to mention it takes a very long time ( and boring ) to level crafting in eq2.

About the only issue for me is not having enough missions for the mats I'm trying to farm up. Seems like if I need mats for light armor, theres nothing but missions for heavy armor mats. There maybe 1 mission but hardly ever 2.

This crafting system is going to become a complete joke if these RE changes go through, the games only been out for nearly 2 months and the market is already being saturated with purples and prices are on the way down on alot of items nearly to the point were its not viable to make them due to the price cutting versus the cost of buying or sending companions out to get them especially the rare matts. Next thing you will complain about will be the drop rates of those rare matts

IMO... broke as broke can be... and so am I trying to get a blasted blue even.

The only crafting professions that actually have a chance are the ones that use scavenging and bio because their nodes are very easy to harvest in abundance. OIC why the devs nerfed the harvest rate in the last patch... $^$

/rude devs

Feeling like true beta tester I RE'ed 300 49lvl blue implants to get: 2 purples and 2 proc of RE giving message: you already know this pattern ;)

300 is seriously too much...

Yeah, unfortunately the entire system is borked right now, and dragging their feet to fix this is only helping to ruin further as we are already into the stage where the high level farmers are buying everything on the GTN up and selling for 10,000% mark-up, just as was the case in every game where they got it in their heads to make crafting "challenging" rather then fun and entertaining.

I've now past level 33 on my main, have managed to maintain his gear twice in all that time due to the abysmal fail rate, cost of mission, unbalanced mission quests, lack of proper materials achieved. So frustrated with the system now, so tired of wasting hour after hour trying to equip these guys that I would be just farming and buying the gear except that no one else is putting any out there.

These are a few problem areas that really stand out at this point. I suspect this is common for everyone as I can tell by the farmers and what they are re-pricing.

Mission balance. Grade four underworld metals for example. Constantly, for five straight days of farming there are 4 to 5 gift missions, one to two cloth missions and the occasional metal mission (which I need).

Fiber mesh or resin on another toon. Over 50 missions. well over 100 resin, maybe 20 fibermesh. Seems that is common because fiber mesh is one of the items the farmers are buying up and pricing at 300 credits per.

On Hydean Way the GTN is flooded with things for certain classes but NOTHING at all for my class/skill set.

If people would look at what's missing from the GTN and made those items I bet the economy would be better than it currently is.

Now there's a massive amount of tank gear on there but nothing at all for DPS at max level.

I like how people keep saying that it should be hard.

What is hard about the process?

You gather, run missions, then hit the craft button. There is nothing hard about any of those tasks.

Everything else, is left up to RNG.

There is nothing hard about RNG.

Please explain what is hard about the current crafting process?

I have just blown two full stacks of mats trying to RE a green Reflex Barrel 14 into a blue. 50 tries. Nothing. Run out of mats and gave up.

On my server those mats are worth 100k+, not to mention the cost of the white mats from vendor. 100k for a level 33 barrel I will outgrow in two levels anyway. Insane.

I can't even buy a blue Reflex Barrel 14 on the GTN because it seems no other players have got this recipe either. Perhaps there's no Armstechs left, they probably all rerolled Biochems.

The situation with RE at the moment is a total mess and needs to be addressed ASAP.

This crafting system is going to become a complete joke if these RE changes go through, the games only been out for nearly 2 months and the market is already being saturated with purples and prices are on the way down on alot of items nearly to the point were its not viable to make them due to the price cutting versus the cost of buying or sending companions out to get them especially the rare matts. Next thing you will complain about will be the drop rates of those rare matts

That is not the intent of craft skills, and that is not the result we are seeing. Quite the contrary, you will be hard pressed to find items, but the GTN is inundated with overpriced mats....which is why you will be hard pressed to find particular items.

Crafting should be doable, to all levels except the highest, by everyone. It shoud be there for the purpose of outfitting your toon, not as a windfall for those willing to put in 50 levels of work in a week.

Crafters should be able to craft their wares, make for themselves, selll at recommended pricing so that they can buy other's wares at that same pricing. It should never be heroic level Ragnaros dealt to average players. That concept did not work with leveling, dungeons, raids. It will not work with tradeskills.

No idea why anyone would even entertain the notion, let alone implement it as has been done. One thing for certain though, it needs to be addressed asap as the damage to the economy and the game is ongoing.

On Hydean Way the GTN is flooded with things for certain classes but NOTHING at all for my class/skill set.

If people would look at what's missing from the GTN and made those items I bet the economy would be better than it currently is.

Now there's a massive amount of tank gear on there but nothing at all for DPS at max level.

The reason those "other" items are not their is because of the difficulty associated with the necessary missions and mats. Farmers have already picked up on it. You can look at the last page of your GTN for any skill and you will quickly see the most difficult mats to obtain, listed in big quantities, for 300 to 500 per mat, even level 2 stuff.

I like how people keep saying that it should be hard.

What is hard about the process?

You gather, run missions, then hit the craft button. There is nothing hard about any of those tasks.

Everything else, is left up to RNG.

There is nothing hard about RNG.

Please explain what is hard about the current crafting process?

Correct.

The notion of "challenge" in this regard is sophmoric at best. It is more akin to gambling then skill development.

The reason those "other" items are not their is because of the difficulty associated with the necessary missions and mats. Farmers have already picked up on it. You can look at the last page of your GTN for any skill and you will quickly see the most difficult mats to obtain, listed in big quantities, for 300 to 500 per mat, even level 2 stuff.

Red goo and mutagenic paste on Hydian Way are being listed on the GTN for silly prices......1.5k to 2k per single mat :(

I have just blown two full stacks of mats trying to RE a green Reflex Barrel 14 into a blue. 50 tries. Nothing. Run out of mats and gave up.

On my server those mats are worth 100k+, not to mention the cost of the white mats from vendor. 100k for a level 33 barrel I will outgrow in two levels anyway. Insane.

I can't even buy a blue Reflex Barrel 14 on the GTN because it seems no other players have got this recipe either. Perhaps there's no Armstechs left, they probably all rerolled Biochems.

The situation with RE at the moment is a total mess and needs to be addressed ASAP.

This experience is, I imagine, the standard across all servers. Can't turn the pattern. Can't gather the mats in enough time due to the balance issues, missing missions. Can't afford the mats because everyone is in the same boat. Can't buy the item because everyone is in the same boat.

The development team should read this gentleman's post. This is a microcosm of the greater picture, the frustration, the downward spiraling economy.

This experience is, I imagine, the standard across all servers. Can't turn the pattern. Can't gather the mats in enough time due to the balance issues, missing missions. Can't afford the mats because everyone is in the same boat. Can't buy the item because everyone is in the same boat.

The development team should read this gentleman's post. This is a microcosm of the greater picture, the frustration, the downward spiraling economy.

My server isn't like that at all a blue or green spec at 33 5 to 7 k. Only purples are 10 k and up.

*Looks at the auction house...

What saturation? You can hardly get a purple materials to make these mats. Blue and up are barely on the market.

It's just how it works I'm afraid. Supply and demand. If it's too easy to make, supply becomes too big compared to demand - why would you buy it if you can just make it yourself.

There's nothing stopping others from getting the same recipe either. It just takes time/luck. And that's the thing - is it worth to keep trying to make it myself, or buy it.

How MUCH time/luck each thing needs is subject to evaluation of course. And yeah from what I've read getting the "you already know this" thing sucks, things like that should get fixed/changed. But they can't hand everything to us on silver platter - there's not much to do if they did.

But it's not tied to mats, it tied to the materials. That's what controls the market. Even if we have the specs for the item, how can we make it if we don't have the proper material. Add on critical crafting, and it add a new level of variability to the game.