Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

about the philosophy and intent of having Need and Greed.

Someone made that philosophy up and then a myriad of other like minded peeps followed suit, and along the way it became the accepted practice for those like minded people. There never was nor ever will be a *rule* that states what I can or cannot do with my roll option.

Since then, I've been taking proactive measures (i.e. laying down ground rules before the run).

That's your prerogative. If you are doing that why are you now complaining?

I would hate to see it happen to anyone, let alone, have it happen to me. Memories of WoW and needy Alts, I guess.

If you need an item you have the choice to roll need. What others do or don't do, is none of your business.

If it was ok to steal gear from people who not only earned it, but can actually use it, there would be no Need and Greed. There would just be Ninja and Dissassemble.

In answer to the first part of your post, competing against someone's pet for gear that I earned is unacceptable.

The other player helped too. Don't forget that nugget of information. And as such, they have as much right as you to roll however to please. This is an online game. You do not get to tell me what I should or should not do.

I really do not understand how in any shape or form, you feel you have more rights to loot than I do.

Edited by Setanian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me one person playing this game who spends 99% of their time in combat with a companion.

Me. Does that answer your question?

Personally, I would estimate that the percentage of my playtime with a companion who is fighting is closer to 25% than 99%.

How you play is your decision and nothing to do with anyone else. That you play that way does allow you to dictate how others play.

And even so, greens are fine for my comps, anything better is a bonus.

Again, that's your decision, not mine, not anyone else's. We pay our subs we get to make our own choices.

If i need gear for my companion, I will roll need. Period. A companion is apart of you, it is your right hand guy and is of vast importance, especially to those that solo quest like myself. My tank is my life, if he can't tank due to crappy armor, then I fail in my quest. So yes, if I need it, then i will roll for it.

If someone in the party specifically says "Hey! I am in desperate need of..x.." then I will deffer and let said person take it instead. But if you don't speak up, then that's your fault.

If i need gear for my companion, I will roll need. Period. A companion is apart of you, it is your right hand guy and is of vast importance, especially to those that solo quest like myself. My tank is my life, if he can't tank due to crappy armor, then I fail in my quest. So yes, if I need it, then i will roll for it.

That attitude won't fly at level 50 just so you know.

It's not cool at lower levels either, but it's not worth worrying about. Unless your companion was in the group, you are taking gear for a character that didn't help earn it. Selfish.

Your tank's effectiveness doesn't improve all that much with gear. He will never be able to tank anything meaningful.

Edited by Gohlar

Gearing your Companion is pretty irrelevant. Decking them out in greens is more than enough, especially when all they do is heal you.

Thus rolling on something without asking just to give it to your companion is ninjaing and deserves a kick, pure and simple.

This is all your opinion. It does equate to fact.

I really do not understand how in any shape or form, you feel you have more rights to loot than I do.

I'm only responding to this, because you have essentially self-responded to the rest of your post.

My character has more rights to loot than your companion does.

Don't look down

Well yea, that's because I play a tank. A role that is actually useful.

I play a tank with Vette as DPS. Because she does so much damage, I'm able to use my class heal + medpack if needed for any fight.

Your attempt at being condescending failed, but thanks for trying.

Unless your companion was in the group, you are taking gear for a character that didn't help earn it.

This is entirely incorrect. If I help in a 4 man group and we win, we each have an option when rolling. How I roll is none of your business. What I do with an item I win, is none of your business.

If I were to roll need and then sell to the nearest vendor, it is none of your business. I helped you therefore I am entitled to do what I please at roll time and with whatever I may win.

I'm only responding to this, because you have essentially self-responded to the rest of your post.

Don't look down

One assume you have some form of *facts* to back that assertion up?

No.. Didn't think so, in which case it is your *opinion* and irrelevant.

Don't look down

Really? According to game mechanics, it doesn't. I can roll need, I will roll need, even if its for my companion.

I didn't read anything in the manual, or any tooltip or anything that says "player characters have more rights to loot than companions"

So, you're entitled to your OPINION, but you better hope that everyone else in your group shares that OPINION or else you will be losing some loot to companions, and rightfully so.

Show me one person playing this game who spends 99% of their time in combat with a companion.

Personally, I would estimate that the percentage of my playtime with a companion who is fighting is closer to 25% than 99%. And even so, greens are fine for my comps, anything better is a bonus.

Don't look down

And greens are "fine" for you too. However, having a geared companion as different from a somewhat geared companion is extremely noticeable, which you'd know if you had a geared companion. Companions are an inextricable part of the leveling process, and if you want to quest at equal level their gear is as important as yours is.

During the leveling process, which is what the vast majority of FPs to date have been run for, you spend the vast majority of your time using companions. If you don't, it means you are doing heroics or flashpoints ad infinitum and will get the gear you are after anyway.

Gearing companions makes a massive difference to soloing content, and soloing content makes up the vast majority of the pre-50 game experience.

Ultimately, what this entire thread comes down to is someone trying to impose their subjective philosophy on gear and rolling as an objective moral standard. Nothing that bioware have said OR implemented supports your theory.

Edited by Delekii

This is entirely incorrect. If I help in a 4 man group and we win, we each have an option when rolling. How I roll is none of your business. What I do with an item I win, is none of your business.

If I were to roll need and then sell to the nearest vendor, it is none of your business. I helped you therefore I am entitled to do what I please at roll time and with whatever I may win.

How you roll affects what I achieve from the instance. Am I running it for the XP? Am I running it for the quest complete? Or, more likely? Am I running it for the gear? If the answer is the last one? It definitely is my business how you roll, because it definitely affects whether or not I enable you to get chances at your loot.

Me. Does that answer your question?

Cool, if you spend 99% of your time fighting alongside your comp, we will never group anyway, because you don't do 4 mans, FPs, or ops. Whew, I don't have to worry about you. Thank goodness.

Don't look down

I usually look to see if anyone needs the piece, if they dont appear to I will politely ask if I can roll for my companion.

Just wait, if they put in a LFD tool, this will be every post on the forum.

This is what i do. If i want something for a companion, I ask if anyone needs the item and if its okay if i roll need for my companion.

PC's > companions, even if i'm not the PC in question.

How you roll affects what I achieve from the instance. Am I running it for the XP? Am I running it for the quest complete? Or, more likely? Am I running it for the gear? If the answer is the last one? It definitely is my business how you roll, because it definitely affects whether or not I enable you to get chances at your loot.

No it doesn't, how YOU roll affects it. If you roll well, you win gear, if you roll poorly, you lose out to gear.

Some people really need to get over it, stop calling people names, and generally grow up. It's part of the game or It wouldn't be allowed by the makers of the game. Sure, you don't like it, that's fine. Think about a solution to it though, here's an idea...group up with like minded players. Apparently the people rolling need for companions are a small percentage of the population, so it can't be that hard finding a group that let's you take whatever you like now is it. Is it? Or would you prefer to keep winging about it? Edited by utio

Again, incorrect and with out fact or relevance.

You are entitled to roll at the end on loot and so am I. We both get an equal chance at rolling. What more do you want?

Since you want to dictate my decision on Need and Greed, can you come to my house and push my attack buttons too? I thought maybe since I pushed buttons to help down the boss I could make my own decisions on what will help my character, which might include a companion who helps me get things done in the 99% of the content that doesn't require 3 other players.

You are the selfish player, the one who is all jealous because someone else wanted something YOU thought YOU deserved. Please do put me on ignore.

This is .... ummm I don't know what to say... its ...

Really? According to game mechanics, it doesn't. I can roll need, I will roll need, even if its for my companion.

I didn't read anything in the manual, or any tooltip or anything that says "player characters have more rights to loot than companions"

So, you're entitled to your OPINION, but you better hope that everyone else in your group shares that OPINION or else you will be losing some loot to companions, and rightfully so.

To you and every other person in this thread who actually defends rolling Need on whatever you feel like:

This is not the thread you are looking for.

Again, MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD TELLING NEW PLAYERS TO ROLL NEED ON WHATEVER THEY FEEL LIKE.

I don't give a womprat's butt about your opinion, rfatcheric, and you don't care about mine, so there's nothing more for you to say here.

Don't look down

Cool, if you spend 99% of your time fighting alongside your comp, we will never group anyway, because you don't do 4 mans, FPs, or ops. Whew, I don't have to worry about you. Thank goodness.

So, you completed all 50 levels doing 4 mans, PVP, and flashpoints?