Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

If not agreed on beforehand, any roll is ok. People can't just assume that other people play according to their rules. How would I know you roll for companions or not if you don't tell me. There is no written rule in this game, when you have to roll need or greed.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Whoa, calm down, kid. Stepoff your soapbox for a minute and chillax.

Look, for me, I dont see anything Bioware doing or not doing anything that would make me dislike the game. THE ONLY THING that can ruin the play experience for me is are noobs (with attitudes, unwilling to learn) and just straight selfish jerks that do what they do to piss others off.

Edited by tcalusine

If not agreed on beforehand, any roll is ok. People can't just assume that other people play according to their rules.

Its not their rules, its the game's implemented rules. It's clearly named Need or Greed to avoid confusion. If someone is rolling Need on a pair of heavy armor because its better than the light armor their class wears, they're idiots. They do not understand the very simple rule of Need vs. Greed.

Look, for me, I dont see anything Bioware doing or not doing anything that would make me dislike the game. THE ONLY THING that can ruin the play experience for me is are noobs (with attitudes, unwilling to learn) and just straight selfish jerks that do what they do to piss others off.

That happens in a social environment.

But peopl needing for companions are not doing it to piss you off. You are choosing to get angry about it. People needing for comps are doing it simply so they can equip ther comps. Like I said before, if that rubs you the wrong way, get into a group that agrees against rolling need for comps.

It's easy, m'kay? :)

This topic always causes an argument between two different groups of players with two different sets of philosophies regarding gear. Neither group will ever change their respective views. That said I have ran into the exact opposite problem on my server, where of late people in my groups have been asking if they may need on gear that IS for them....truly unecessary. Please do roll need and lets move on.

When i run Black Talon the gear that drops tell you what it is in the name of it.

Black Talon Hunter's Boots

Black Talon Inquisitor's Robe

Etc, etc, etc

So, I do agree if someone is clearly rolling on stuff that isn't their class and wouldn't match their companion they should be called on it. So, if you see me rolling on a Black Talon Juggernaut's item as a Sith Inquisitor rest assure it is for Khem.

Source:

http://www.torhead.com/search/Black%20talon

Edited by Silvaro

lol Whoa, calm down, kid. Stepoff your soapbox for a minute and chillax.

So what if your companion is not present in a 4-man group? Big deal. The point is, we all have to equip our companions as well as ourselves. Because equipping companions, much like ourselves, is important. I know you don't see it that way, but not everyone else sees it the way you do. Want to rectify this problem? Get into a group and make sure it agrees against needing for companions.

BOOM! Logic bomb!

Equip your companion is not as important as yourself. Comps run Flashpoints? no end-game operations? no PVP warzones? no.

Man this thread is full of win.

OP's first statement was best IMHO, and his remake only shows that even though he's pissed off, he's actually a pretty nice guy.

As for the rest of you.....

"Its none of your business how I decide to roll" LOL

As if we're discussing civil rights or something integral to your quality of life.

Get over yourselves and be team players. Thats what flashpoints are for!

But peopl needing for companions are not doing it to piss you off. You are choosing to get angry about it. People needing for comps are doing it simply so they can equip ther comps. Like I said before, if that rubs you the wrong way, get into a group that agrees against rolling need for comps.

It's easy, m'kay? :)

Ever had those people in your life that just keep asking for stuff?

"Hey, can I borrow some money?"

"Could you give me a ride here, there, anywhere..."

"I really want this, could you buy it for me?"

Like children who are never told "NO", they continue to take what they want, over and over and over again.

So really, lets call a spade a spade here. Neither of us were born yesterday, after all.

I will not gimp myself because of your greed and over inflated sense of value

That's exactly what the tank in your flashpoint is thinking, the one you screwed over. The one who kept aggro off of you so you could play the game the way you wanted to. If you want new gear so badly for khem, choose the armor specifically made for him you get at the end of certain quests.

Edited by Prolapse

It's clearly named Need or Greed to avoid confusion.

And exactly how does the game define need?

I haven't seen anything in game that said "Need is for items you will equip on your character, Greed is for everything else."

So until you can find that tooltip... then Need can very well describe items you need to make your companion better.

Discussing it on the boards won't help any, the place to have this discussion is with your group before you start the FP/Op/whatever.

I'm a DPS. - I use khem val as my companion.

He is my tank.

Without him, I am squishy.

If i have a chance to get him better gear, I take it..

I will not gimp myself because of your greed and over inflated sense of value

If Khem Val is tanking the instance, then yes, roll need.

If I was tanking your instance, I would simply kick you from the group. DPS is easily replaceable.

Equip your companion is not as important as yourself. Comps run Flashpoints? no end-game operations? no PVP warzones? no.

No, but comps do run with you on solo, which is how you play the majority of the game.

I'm sorry, but needing for comps is not greedy or unfair, no matter how much you want to pretend it is. If you're just angry you didn't get a piece of gear you wanted, tough. Just do the dungeon again and hope for a better ouotcome. OR, as I said before, get in a party that agrees to not roll for comps. Because the truth of the matter is, your chances are just as slim if your party members roll for that piece of gear for themselves as it is if they roll for it for their comps.

If Khem Val is tanking the instance, then yes, roll need.

If I was tanking your instance, I would simply kick you from the group. DPS is easily replaceable.

I agree. VERY replaceable.

***other ways of gearing companions without stealing from the players that helped get the item for you.***

1) GTN, just buy whatever you want. And help the economy work.. other players benefit

2) Craft them stuff. you worry about your companions having the best gear? take a crafting skill that will always keep them up to date.

3) take the items designed specifically for them at the end of certain quests. thats what its there for.

4) overlevel then try to do heroics solo with companion. Take all you want...

5) PVP to get gear for them

6) use eqiupment commedations to buy them new gear.

look i can go on and on. Gear your comps all you want. just dont need on gear dropped in a 4 man flashpoint where a player could use it.

Its been said before but Companions do not help in PVP, warzones, flaspoints, operations and so on. Therefore they should not take priority.

Treat others in the community as you would like to be treated and all will be well. Players will appreciate this. Companions affection meter will not change...

Yeah, can't really tell people how to play though they should feel free to take advice. If you need on gear for your companion that another party member can use, don't expect them to invite you to a future group.

People group and do flashpoints for loot. We like to say it's for the encounters, story, and etc but a vast majority are just there for the loot. People don't want to go in and have a one in four chance every time a piece of gear they can actually use drops. It's why group leaders tend to try and get one of each class, to insure everyone has a good chance to get a drop. But if you roll for each of your five companions, you're basically putting yourself ahead of everyone else.

I won't tell you to not do that given that behavior is policed by the community. But generally if you want loot for your companion, ask first.

I don't think anyone *actually* rolls need for companion gear, they may talk big on the forums but they know if they pulled this **** in-game they'd be flamed across the server to tatooine and back. it's just some aspie kids trying to get attention by saying they will on the forum. seriously, i've done tons of hard mode FPs and not a single person has done this. then again i'm on the EU servers so who knows what the americans are doing over there, they still have religion :rolleyes::o so they're still a few decades behind us, more advanced societies. Edited by SunwindIon

while i dont do this, its your fault of u dont set loot rules up before hand. if they do it after you set up loot rules then just have them kicked from the grp.

Exactly. Communication.

Try it ... tell the group before hand that only pick Need if you need it. No companion armor picking. If you don't, you get kicked.

I don't think anyone *actually* rolls need for companion gear, they may talk big on the forums but they know if they pulled this **** in-game they'd be flamed across the server to tatooine and back. it's just some aspie kids trying to get attention by saying they will on the forum. seriously, i've done tons of hard mode FPs and not a single person has done this. then again i'm on the EU servers so who knows what the americans are doing over there, they still have religion :rolleyes::o.

Oh, you're so cool! You're the first one I've ever seen on the internet who cusses, generalizes people, and insults other peoples' countries and religion! Oh my, so original! So brilliant! This has never been done before! :rolleyes:

Kids... lol

Oh, you're so cool! You're the first one I've ever seen on the internet who cusses, generalizes people, and insults other peoples' countries and religion! Oh my, so original! So brilliant! This has never been done before! :rolleyes:

Kids... lol

Adults can swear too, selfish people will still be selfish though.