Already Lost my Video Cards, Game Runs Hot

iphonemilk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't how PC components work. They will never go over their safe to run temps because of software... ever.

Your cards may run hot on certain games but they will always shut off before getting anywhere close to frying so you're full of it. Your cooling system should be able to handle it if you have 2 6870's, and if they were "running fine for a while" then you may have just not cleaned them properly and dust built up, you haven't ot an effective cooling solution (including airflow direction, positioning of PC, spacing of hardware components), or/and you had faulty parts which will be within warranty unless you did something wrong.

i wish i had overheating problem ... this game run as if we didnt have any graphic cards...

What kind of computer do you have and what kind of graphics card?

Reason I ask is, I just received a CyberPowerPC from newegg.com and the GPU slot on the motherboard was defective so it wouldn't read the Radeon 6670 I had plugged in.

Just found that out yesterday after getting the computer in yesterday and installing SW:TOR. Unfortunately, now my subscription started so I'm missing free game playing days. Needless to say, I'm a little upset.

There are more than enough people who can advocate that this game does run hot. Should it fry the hardware? Of course not. There are always safeguards against that. But when games run Skyrim and the latest MW and BF-titles just fine, but not TOR, then something is slightly amiss.

It's not stupid, it's fact, but of course you should always make sure that your computer is properly cooled when running anything on it.

Thank you; this game runs hot. It runs VERY hot for my system...far hotter than any other game I've played, and this game (of all the ones I've played) should be one of the last games to push it to the point of burning dust and components. And yes, my system has more than adequate cooling and I have played modern games like Skyrim without these issues.

People act as though poorly optimized, hardware-destroying software has never existed before, as if this is something out of the blue and unheard of. They are either willfully ignorant or are purposely White Knighting for the wrong cause. What controls hardware? Software. Software can be affected by other software and you can have unfortunate unintended consequences when some software interacts with other software. Poorly optimized code can lead components to having to work harder than they should for inordinate periods of time, which leads to hastened hardware failure. More rarely, bad software can affect other software that leads components to operating beyond what their safety mechanisms would otherwise not allow, were all software operating as it should.

For example, Furmark and Nvidia GPUs (btw, Furmark is NOT officially recommended to be run when using Nvidia cards as the software overrides Nvidia cards' safety mechanisms and can [and has] lead to premature hardware failure).

Thankfully the instances of this are rare and uncommon, but for people to scoff and pretend like this never happens...well...

Edited by VorpalCheese

This is interesting. Seems I see this same topic on every new game that comes out of the pipe.

This game has melted my video card

This game runs hot.

A quick Google search of the game brought up in the thread as not running hot will find you several threads started by users claiming that specific game is burning up video cards.

IMO the problem is an air flow problem that can be fixed by cleaning out your case or making sure your fans are running properly.

BUT also IMO this is a topic the Trolls start and jump on to make it sound that a game is going to harm a person hardware.

Baring a major mess up writers of the drivers of a piece of hardware, a computer game can not force a video card to run hot. The drivers have safeguards in place to prevent this.

Just recently had to replace my 2 6870's.

Recently just bought 2 new 6970's.

**Btw my 6870's have been working PERFECTLY until this game came out**

I'd say maybe 2 weeks into playing SWTOR? My cards died...

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

Bioware are you reading this? Your GAME IS DESTROYING HARDWARE.

Use V sync. i have a 590 gtx and i also have a set up with 2 6870's. your not getting spikes with other game because tor is now loading on cards 100%. Vsync might reduce your heat issues as well.It dropped mine for some reason when i enabled it . i tested it several times in 5 minute increments easy 10 degree difference.

Also the stock fan speeds in CCC are absloutely horrible. Go and get your self MSI after burner and set up a fan scale it will help alot with your heat issues. the reviews for 6970's shows the run hotter anyhow but i dont doubt TOR is running peoples cards hot as hell. In beta it never loaded my card up past 60% now at live its runing 95% full time on both GPu's

Im using nvida inspector to force AA and for some reason my heat issues began to lvl out . i was a consistent 90 to 95 on my 590 GTX with both GPU's maxed . now its running in the mid 80s high 70's fully loaded for 2 plus hours. Im pretty sure its Driver related . No one has really added profiles for TOR yet and doubt they will, it really does not push graphics i just sucks at rendering them properly.

Edited by wifeaggro

So from reading this thread I think our small sample size agrees this games runs hotter than it should, but not hot enough to fry hardware.

Been my experience on my laptop. It's hot, but not even close to destructively hot on med/high settings and my GPU switched on.

I suppose your case is properly setup for airflow, etc. Couldn't be your setup right?!?!

Give me a break. TOR didn't overheat your cards. It doesn't run that hot.

It really does. The only other thing thats got my computer hot enough to safety shutdown was Starcraft 2 when there was the Coding bug that sent your graphics card into overdrive before they fixed it. I'm starting to suspect something similar because it should not be that demanding.

Its not unheard of and maybe the ammount of people claiming their machines are getting REAL hot, should warrant some credibility to the situation, as opposed to just rabidly jumping on them 'cause it doesnt happen to you, like the SC2 community did....

Edited by aimbotcfg

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

i'm sure it does run hot however twice like that I would take a look at your powersupply

Like several peopel have already mentioned here I do not think you can blame the game, simply because your gfx is meant to switch itself off when it reaches the factory predeterminet limit, so unless you have used a 3rd party application that override this (I have heard of viruses that are capable of doing so), your gfx just died because it was faulty.

I had a gfx dying before, must have been 8 years ago, and it doesn't just suddenly "die" it starts showing you graphical display errors even when is booting in dos view.

That said, swtor makes my quadcore processor working more than twice any other game, but not the gfx.

Remember to turn on Vsync that restricts your fps to 60(especially since the eye only sees at 24fps), which is more than enough for any game, also means the videocards are only running at around 50% so less heat and noise:)

This would be my answer as well.

Also the game runs much better in xp sp3 than on 7 which struggles for consistency it seems.

That said, swtor makes my quadcore processor working more than twice any other game, but not the gfx.

Processors the issue with mine too. i7 Extreme @ 3.3 (4 physical, 8 logical cores). Doesn't struggle or get hot with anything else I throw at it, games, video rendering, 3d rendering, stupid ammounts of multitasking. Start up TOR and the temp shoots up to the point that I need to open my windows.

I'm running my game on a laptop (and no, I'm not going to stop doing that) and the game does run very hot. I've never had any problems with any other games. The computer has literally just died several times due to heating issues -- better that than fried hardware I suppose.

As long as I keep my laptop... well.... not in my lap, things tend to work.

Ditto. Had my laptop in my lap and it's switched off due to overheating. Had a couple of BSOD early on too. I now make sure there is plenty of air flow and laptop is kept on a table and not had any issues.

True, the game pushes those cards hot. I was getting crashes every day and reboots. I took a look at the temp and it was hotter than normally under load. Had to dust em and then adjust the fan speed. Mine were default at 20% and didn't increase under load. Used Afterburner to put the fan speed at 45% and haven't had a problem since. Sure it sounds like a mini-vaccuum cleaner but it's better than crashing due to overheating.

Also, how does the game perform with TWO 6870's? I only have one. Was thinking about getting another one next month, but if the game doesn't take advantage of crossfire, I won't bother.

Skyrim runs far hotter on my GTX 570 Superclocked than SWTOR does, even with AA enabled through the .ini. Definitely check your system airflow and the like.

I did have an issue recently that I was getting polygon tearing in a bunch of games (SWTOR included). After looking into it and asking a few friends they suggested I hook my PC up to a UPS to clean up the power flow. That seemed to have worked, and makes some sense since I'm living in an 83 year old building.

Only once has my GPU overheated with this game but it was 41 Degrees Celsius outside lol.

Other than that though I run a HD 6950 and the temp while playing is on average around 50 deg celsius. I have a front and rear 140mm fan and a 80mm fan on the side of the case just above the GPU.

Perhaps dust your case or clean the fan(s) on your GPU's?

What kind of computer do you have and what kind of graphics card?

Reason I ask is, I just received a CyberPowerPC from newegg.com and the GPU slot on the motherboard was defective so it wouldn't read the Radeon 6670 I had plugged in.

Just found that out yesterday after getting the computer in yesterday and installing SW:TOR. Unfortunately, now my subscription started so I'm missing free game playing days. Needless to say, I'm a little upset.

i have a phenom 1090t with a radeon 6850hd ... The game barelly scratch 40% usage on my video card and it's the cheap less than 1 gig ram ....

If the game is riding any higher than this it's because you have a CPU/ram bottleneck ... the video card in this game is near useless it could run on a 9600GT from 2006.

Again people show they don't know what they're talking about when they say "but I run Skyrim!!!! Derp derp derp!!". So? You run Skyrim... and? Tell me why that should make a difference, go on, prove to me with facts why Skyrim should make your system "run hotter".

SWTOR has a lot more information going on in it than any top end game out there at the moment. I run the Witcher2 on Ultra settings and that game is an absolute barstuard graphically, and it my system just about runs it smoothly on Ultra. Compared to the Witcher2 though this game is actually more "intensive" when it comes to the work your CPU and GPU needs to do.

Edit: And just so that this doesn't get misconstrued: what I just said still doesn't mean that your GPU should "run hotter"

Edited by Kunitsukami