Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

Chat bubble would be nice not just for rp folks but also it just seems more personal when you can see the person saying "hi" to you in front of your face instead of seeing it in a chat box and wondering if that "hi" was for me or someone else.

There seems to be a isolation like feel in this game.

A chat bubble is like an in game handshake.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a RPer and not having chat bubbles bugs me. I like random conversation without having to say "hold on, let me modify a chat tab bro". I like to /yell in PvP. I like to have fun with stuff I say, or laugh at stuff other people says. And I like to see it on screen, not in a tiny window that is framed with 4x6 lumber instead of a nice trim.

So instead, I turn chat off (click the little arrow in the top left corner of the screen) until I hear a sound notification that I've received a /whisper. Want to chat with me at length? Bugger off unless you hop on Mumble, TS, or Vent.

Some of you might genuinely enjoy communication in this game, but I loathe it because of the hoops I have to jump through to facilitate meaningful conversation. My game time went from 20ish hours per week down to about 8 hours, because I can't seem to get comfortable with any aspect of the UI, including communication.

PS. I don't mind sitting on the floor, but it looks pretty stupid.

I have run, attended and kept track of multiplayer RP scenes and guild events without the use of chat bubbles quite easily. Yes, you actually have to read and pay attention to whom is saying what, and having the ability to scroll up to check is nice, rather than having 25 chat bubbles that overlap one another, obscuring what is needed to be read.

I don't find chat bubble overlapping to be all that much of a problem because I keep my camera panned only to cover the people I'm talking to.

So what can be done in the meantime? Heres a list of helpful suggestions.

1) Shut off trade/general chat. Its not like it would be important to have showing during a RP session. That will help with the scroll.

Already do this.

2) If you are having trouble seeing text, and need to squint, increase the font size. you can change color of the channel text as well if really need be.

Making the font size larger would only make the problem WORSE as text would scroll out of my chat box even faster than it already does.

I hate to break the news to you, but RP'ers in any MMORPG are the last to be getting thier wheels greased. I would be more inclined to support something like enviroment interaction animations (IE sitting, laying down etc) over speech ballons. In the meantime, we take what we have and work with it, rather than demand X feature be implemented because I am a special snowflake and demand it.

I guess you don't use an electric washer/dryer, dishwasher or use a car either? Because I mean, you could get by with a washboard, clothesline and a bike.

I don't like the status quo. Therefore, I'm doing what I can to change it instead of sitting in my corner like a good little RPer. Because acting like a special snowflake and demanding things seems to work for other 'factions' of the player base.

I have run, attended and kept track of multiplayer RP scenes and guild events without the use of chat bubbles quite easily. Yes, you actually have to read and pay attention to whom is saying what, and having the ability to scroll up to check is nice, rather than having 25 chat bubbles that overlap one another, obscuring what is needed to be read.

What you just said is why Chat Bubbles are so great for immersion. Imagine if 25 people were talking in your proximity... what are the odds that you'll hear what everyone is saying? Not very likely.

Now let's take this scenario; you are standing in the proximity of 25 people who are constantly chatting, and you yourself is chatting with just one person. Without chat bubbles, reading what the other person says will be a pain in the neck. With chat bubbles, you'll be able to focus on what that person says without any effort.

Independent from any immersion impact chat bubbles might have to the better/worse, I personaly am used aswell to them and it is infact very hard to realize when one is adressing you in "say", especialy when you are in action at that very moment or the chat rolls down.

I experienced it so far 3 times that we were engaged in a fight with a strong npc or in a heroic area, where people asked politely to be invited, but we didnt see it as chat rolled by and you are concentrated on the screen.

As long as chat bubbles are technicaly there, you might still be able to activate/deactivate them in options to your convenience.

Edited by MrBonez

I guess you don't use an electric washer/dryer, dishwasher or use a car either? Because I mean, you could get by with a washboard, clothesline and a bike.

I don't like the status quo. Therefore, I'm doing what I can to change it instead of sitting in my corner like a good little RPer. Because acting like a special snowflake and demanding things seems to work for other 'factions' of the player base.

Are you 12? Comparing three 1st world luxuries to what is missing in a video game?

I suppose I can use the same analogy. Yes you can get by quite well with the items mentioned, just as one can get by without the need for speech ballons. Just takes a little more work, a little more paying attention and effort.

Be patient. Im sure the ballons will be coming your way. Like I have said, use what you have currently, and do not let it get in your way of RP.

Are you 12? Comparing three 1st world luxuries to what is missing in a video game?

I suppose I can use the same analogy. Yes you can get by quite well with the items mentioned, just as one can get by without the need for speech ballons. Just takes a little more work, a little more paying attention and effort.

Be patient. I'm sure the ballons will be coming your way. Like I have said, use what you have currently, and do not let it get in your way of RP.

I myself have no problem RPing 1 on 1 right now. But more people would just be confusing.

And yes, it takes more effort and attention, but BioWare is here to satisfie everyone. And just as a guy stated above, its not only for RP.

When you're in a heroic area wanting to kill some heroic guy, and the guy(s) next to you ask to get in, you most likely wont see it as you're concentrated on the screen. There you go, BioWare. Not just useful for RPers!

1) Shut off trade/general chat. Its not like it would be important to have showing during a RP session. That will help with the scroll.

2) If you are having trouble seeing text, and need to squint, increase the font size. you can change color of the channel text as well if really need be.

It's difficult to imagine you suggested these options with a straight face. I hope you don't think people haven't already either done number 1 and possibly considered number 2.

I don't understand why people are making this out to be a roleplaying issue. The absence of chat bubbles affects everybody. *shrugs* Whether I roleplayed or not, I'd still want to know if somebody in front of me is saying something.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

you what guys i have a huge problem im in a rp server and my char is lvl35 and i joined a guild who said they were a heavy rp guild and to be honest they are not they rp just once a week and just on sundays im looking for a heavy rp guild plz help the server name is lord iledis something like that sorry if i wrote it wrong help plz

It's difficult to imagine you suggested these options with a straight face. I hope you don't think people haven't already either done number 1 and possibly considered number 2.

I don't understand why people are making this out to be a roleplaying issue. The absence of chat bubbles affects everybody. *shrugs* Whether I roleplayed or not, I'd still want to know if somebody in front of me is saying something.

I could not read your reply without a giggle. For that I apologize.

You would be surprised how many people have NOT bothered to take a look at options given in game in preferences. Most I have encountered had NO idea preferences were even given. As there was no indication to wether or not a "veteran MMO player" status was given, its sometimes better to err on the side of caution and give out those suggestions than not.

I can't help it, but every time I see this topic I hear Frozone saying; Where's my super suit? Except it's not the suit, but chat bubbles, so it's more Where's my chat bubbles? Bioware what did you do to my chat bubbles? You took em to the cleaners? I need my chat bubbles, now Bioware, Where. Is. My. Chat bubbles!?

and it makes me giggle, I can't help it, I like the Incredibles, was a fun movie.

And sure, chat bubbles would be nice and handy, especially in more congested areas, gives you a good idea of where people are located around you. It also let's you know whether you're standing in the middle of someones RP or just a bunch of people standing around like you are.

Full support for chat-bubbles.

However, there needs to be a two way option here for people that might not like it and also a system so RP servers wont fill up with OOC or such in every part of the game.

Make the chat-bubbles as optional as making another channel in the chat-box. If a few players dislike the option, they can just shut it off. Also, there will be a need for having group chat-bubbles that none other can read just like in a team entering a flashpoint and chatting in group.

As it is today on RP servers, there is no flooding the entire room with OOC comments or topics such as last nights football match or what new raid there are in other games. This is astonishing and in a way a frightful thought as to what it can become when a chat-bubble option arrives.

But, as in all general behaviors and manners the chat-bubble will be under the same rules as the rest of the game, so you can report as you report today if the need should arise.

Also, IF the option of turning bubbles on and off exists, we eliminate the debate on how this can ruin the immersion on RP servers and also there is no need for none-roleplayers to spam the public with none-rp comments.

In short

Make chat-bubbles optional.

If you dislike them, turn them off. Also, a GM should without a doubt be able to disable a players option to use the chat-bubbles if he/she violates RoC or starts spamming credit-sales etc.

Let bubbles also exist as private versions.

If we can can have private chat-bubbles for guilds and when a team goes to a flashpoint, there will be less clutter in those bigger areas.

Make pvp chat-bubbles a separate option entirely.

Pvp needs a similar build-up but with an option perhaps to perfect later on that includes a voting-system. Afk in a pvp area is not an option, so with that in mind, people need to be able to clean their teams fast and accurate.

*This however is guarded by the chat-logs of course, so if you plan to harass a player, you will be the victim of the act instead since the player will report it.*

The list can go on for miles, but we need the bubble option, as just that...an option. Do not force it onto everyone, but make it another marked/unmarked box in the preference menu.

As sad as it sounds... I personally lost a lot of interest in the game once i realised there were no chat bubbles and you were unable to sit in chairs. Also has anyone else not noticed the emotes are piss poor? The game is good in general, but I don't have the time these days to come on and spend hour after hour questing/pvp. Hence why I roleplay.... Hope this gets sorted out as I'm slowly getting tempted to get my bum back on wow. Edited by Kahela
Spelling...

As sad as it sounds... I personally lost a lot of interest in the game once i realised there were no chat bubbles and you were unable to sit in chairs. Also has anyone else not noticed the emotes are piss poor? The game is good in general, but I don't have the time these days to come on and spend hour after hour questing/pvp. Hence why I roleplay.... Hope this gets sorted out as I'm slowly getting tempted to get my bum back on wow.

I feel the same way. It's like Bioware put no effort into giving basic and expected RP tools to us. :(

Give us Bubbles, or give us death!..

Anyway

I'm not feeling immersed into the game in a RP way, with my character just... standing there, talking via /say and not even doing any animation + no bubbles above him, ofcourse for people to even notice that -I- am talking.

In wow, you talk and make a talk animation so you just dont stand there like a idiot looking at eachother. And the only RP you have is basicly some test in the chat box that you can barely even keep track of in a large-group where you are trying to have a big event. Or medium event... or in betwenn... you get my point, Bioware!

I wonder which will be first, chatbubbles or guild wars 2 (which will have chatbubbles and sitting in chairs at launch).

As much as I like this game...QFT. GW2 listened to it's community.

We harassed Bioware all beta long for interactable furniture, emotes being finished with motions, chat bubbles (I never use them but many cannot follow group conversations without them), the return of unify to chest (people don't care about armor progression, especially when most endgame armor looks rediculous).

I was in an area last night where some RP was happening. Think it was the Dealer's Den?

Anyway, I have only done some spontanious RP with myself and another, maybe a thrid joining in.

You get to 4 + and it is a complete mess without chat bubbles. I can't keep up with who is saying what, what direction is that person facing?

Are they talking to me?

Game needs chat bubbles big time. Epic fail not to launch with such a simple everyday fundemental MMO feature.

It's like launching a MMO with no grouping or multi player!

Having come to this game straight from Star Wars Galaxies, the lack of Chat Bubbles has, and still remains, to be a very hard thing to get used to.

I don't know about others, but I can be standing around tons of others and it just seems way too quiet and barren. I don't care that chat box is streaming. Unless I see chat bubbles, they are all "dead toons" to me.

BRING ON CHAT BUBBLES!!

(and I agree, make them optional for the folks that do not want them).