Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

Chat Bubbles

Chat Bubbles

Chat Bubbles

:eek:

Wonder if bioware has seen this thread yet. Maybe because its buried into a more mellow section of the forums, they have not noticed. Not like all the crying and wailing horror that is the General Forum. Hmm.

Edited by Frigidman

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be great. I didn't realize WoW had that, but it really is little things like this that make in-game interaction so much more immersive. I realized last night how doll-like the avatars seem when I was having an RP conversation with another character, and she was just staring blankly over my shoulder the whole time. I wouldn't mind seeing some hand movement when speaking, as well as idle animations, like every so often turning the head, tapping a foot, cracking knuckles, whatever. Anything to breathe a little life into the avatars.

Actually, there are a few emotes you can use that are repeatable. Some doesn't make sense, like /bow.... your character bows repeatedly, it's quite disturbing.

However, /fidget looks very good. As though your character is waiting for something, or is simply impatient. I'm hoping that the talk animation won't cancel the emote animations, and that more emote animations will be added with time.

We seriously need to get a meditate emote that we can use instead of the /sit we've got now :p it's ... awkward, looks so feminine for male characters, and looks so... I don't even know, for female characters.

I'll post this again since people seam to be missing it..

GZ stated in Beta that Chat bubble are high on the list for after launch.

Saying something back in beta can easily be either forgotten or ditched. Until we actually see any progress towards the effect, there is no harm in continuing a support thread for it.

Now, if a dev chimes in here with a final say and locks this thread... only then we can shutup about it =p

chat bubbles should be left in cartoons, they would break my immersion of the game if i saw chat bubbles popping up everywhere.

More realistic than chat only appearing in small letters in the upper- left hand corner of your vision. Until games convert text to voice, it will be rather immersion-breaking and unrealistic. At least let's make it obvious eh?

Anyways, they had to feed the Body Type 4 characters something to get them to their size.

We need to be able to have chat bubbles, especially for RP, but even without it. I am a Die Heart Roleplayer, I wont lie, but this game feels incomplete without Chat Bubbles. Even it it was for RP, it still feels incomplete. As I quote to my friends:

"The game is great, I would completley reccomend it to anybody, but the game is impossible to rp on."

"What do you mean?"

"There are no chat bubbles."

"Oh, im not gonna get it XD"

Regardless my friend ended up getting it cause I convinced him (lol) but he almost didnt. Please give us our Chat Bubbles!

Yeah, I'd like chat bubbles too but just because there aren't any doesn't make the game impossible to RP on, yes it makes it more difficult, but doesn't make it impossible.

A few of us are RPing a lot on Shaltin Tunnels [EU - Republic Side] we dont use party chat, we just change our /say color to a more outstanding and non blending color, or we change our chat window to /say, /emote, /whisper and /officer (if we are guildies, we are using officer chat as a... Holocommunications channel of sorts)

I mean yeah, chat bubbles would be an amazing addition but I am patient, and will wait, this game has way too much in it to get bothered about Chat Bubbles, which will come if you are patient and stop QQing about it

Anyway, I do vote for chat bubbles but to be honest, if it comes next patch, bonus, if it comes in a month, then so be it, and anyone who is willing to not buy this game or come play it just because it doesn't have chat bubbles... Well their loss at the end of the day.

Honestly I would prefer if their were not, or if there was an off togle. Nothing would ruin immersion more than big stupid bubbles.

Nothing ruins immersion like two people staring at corners trying to talk to each other and not even know where the other is in the room.

Nothing ruins immersion like trying to talk to someone standing right in front of you, and they don't even know you are saying anything to them.

Nothing ruins immersion like a complete lack of clear communication lines in an MMO. Since it doesn't have open world distanced voice chat, chat bubbles must exist for face to face communication to work.

I too was miffed about the lack of chat bubbles. It didnt occur to me that an mmo would not have them! (No I havnt played many don't flame).

A girl came up to me in the cantina and stood lifelessly before eventually wanderin off. Now I begin to think she MAY have been talking and I didn't know!

*signs petition for bubbles and hand gestures etc*

Ta!

Nothing ruins immersion like two people staring at corners trying to talk to each other and not even know where the other is in the room.

Nothing ruins immersion like trying to talk to someone standing right in front of you, and they don't even know you are saying anything to them.

Nothing ruins immersion like a complete lack of clear communication lines in an MMO. Since it doesn't have open world distanced voice chat, chat bubbles must exist for face to face communication to work.

...why would two characters stare at corners to talk to one another...?

...if someone is standing right in front of you, how could you not know they were speaking to you? Is there something wrong with performing an action to let the other party know they were being addressed?

Face to face commmunication is fine, people just need to stop relying on the shinies to do it for them, and actually pay attention to thier surroundings.

when bubbles were first intorduced, I never used them. I could follow conversations quite easily, and heavens forbid if I was out of "earshot" to not hear a /say. That is far more an immersive factor that seeing chat bubbles all over the place.

Maybe nice to have for some, but Ill stick to actually having making the effort to converse.

I've never, ever played with chat bubbles and have done just fine without them. I often make a separate tab, or turn off all those annoying channels I don't pay attention to and leave only a few things in: emote, say, guild chat, that kind of thing.

Personally I think the bubbles clutter up the landscape. However, as I've said before, if you all really insist on them and they can be turned off, I'm for it.

Nope. It's not a requirement. LOTRO doesn't have them and I've seen some of the best RP I've seen in any game there.

I could say: nothing ruins immersion like seeing cartoon chat bubbles above someone's head.

I don't understand how you can't find the person you're supposed to be talking to? You know..the person with the name overhead?

LOTRO doesn't have them and I've seen some of the best RP I've seen in any game there.

You must either never look at the screen outside the chat box, or you just don't realize they are there. LOTRO has chat text above heads. Its on by default.

Oh, so floaty names, tags, titles above a mob of people in front of you isn't immersion breaking? What, you have not turned those off? I'm surprised, given you don't like cartoonish stuff hanging about.

:rolleyes:

I think better would be a way to move around the entire interface so that we can set stuff to be where we'd prefer it. If I had my chat window down at the bottom left, I'd have less trouble noticing it.

Also, I'd want chat bubbles to be optional. You can have them, I want you to have them, but I don't want them myself. In City of Heroes, a comic book game? I love them. This game? Nah. But, I am never one to say a REASONABLE thing shouldn't be an option for those that want it, just as long as it remains optional so I can choose to turn it off, I am cool with chat bubbles. :)

Also, I'd want chat bubbles to be optional. You can have them, I want you to have them, but I don't want them myself. In City of Heroes, a comic book game? I love them. This game? Nah. But, I am never one to say a REASONABLE thing shouldn't be an option for those that want it, just as long as it remains optional so I can choose to turn it off, I am cool with chat bubbles. :)

^^^ Very well said! When its an OPTION, everyone wins! Everyone gets to play the game in the way they like!

Even though I like bubbles on most the time. There are times I turn them off for a reason. Just like times I turn off all nameplates. Or turn off all nameplates and show only bubbles, or vice versa. OPTIONS ARE GOOD =D