Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/Support

Role playing within a game that does not allow a character the option of failure or even some small consequence for actions taken is difficult enough but the lack of a user friendly chat system really breaks immersion.

I love to just stay in character while i am out leveling or what not in the world.

Without chat bubbles, i experience almost zero random RP in the galaxy. That is on an RP server since launch

Its just general chat about bacon and the election all the time.

The only RP i see is in the cantina on fleet or occasionally on Nar Shadda (again in the cantina), its boring as all heck.

A simple hello goes unnoticed in this game. Its a real shame too as the galaxy is so vibrant for RP.

I have lost any hope we will ever see this stuff to be honest.

Edited by kirorx

IMO three things seriously detract from this game's RP potential.

1) No chat bubbles makes seeing who said what very easy to mix-up or miss entirely.

2) Way too wide a range of /say makes every area where RP is being done a spam-o-rama. Without chat bubbles, it's compounded.

3) No cross-faction /whisper or /group makes cross faction RP near impossible.

All chat bubbles serve are attention whores. Forcing your thoughts on the people around you that didn't ask for them. 10 times as many people will ignore you than in general chat, therefore it will take 10 times as long for your groupfinder to pop. /whisper works just fine.

Serously, yes to this. My general chat is filled to the brim on board the fleet with people shouting from who knows where about things I can't possiblely act on if I'm actually trying to... you know... play the game. But this is a minor point.

To those who think they are annoying distractions: just turn off chat bubbles or ignore them like you do the general. For a MMO designed for people who wish to play with a group, including groups of people they don't already know (if you don't like chat bubbles, I question if you really like MMOs), this seems like it should be a basic feature. In fact, with chat bubbles perhaps they could move emotes to chat bubbles and you could stop seeing them in your box as well.

In support (to BioWare): I have YET (after 3-4 months of playing) to sucessfully get someone's attention out in the field doing quests who I didn't know. By the time I send a whisper message they are gone down the way and it comes off as stalkerish anyway. Most people just ignore the general chat, although the purple txt does help catch attention sometimes. Most people I have found in this game are actually quite friendly, if you can meet them in a flashpoint, near the end, while you are all waiting for someone who just died to get back, when they finally check their chat window and actually LOOK for you to say something. I would not only enjoy the experiance more if I could offer a witty comment about the slug I just killed by frying it with lightning and someone would actually see it, I can only imagine how much more of a immersion it would be for a game you spent who-knows-how-long making seem real? I can pretty much gareentee you that someone who reads "fryed slug doesn't smell like I thought it would" in the general will not laugh like the person standing right next to me who saw the slug die by lightning while I was on low health and can see my displeased emote.

Being able to assosiate someone's words and name with a avatar is a very important aspect of rp and ought to be included in a much more natural way than it is now. I have been able to get rp elements going in completely non-rp games before by a clever qwip or IC response (while the player might be kinda bored walking through toxins taking low damage, I can assure you their avatar wouldn't be "I think my toes are melting...") This is completely lost without chat bubbles, as those who check their chat usually aren't nearby.

I strongly support this addition.

Glad to see the ball is already rolling from a page or 2 back and hope this post helps prioritize it.

Edited by Lord_O_Death_Joe

I love to just stay in character while i am out leveling or what not in the world.

I thought it was only me who did this YAY! :D

Seriously though, Chat bubbles are needed. Looking at the chat box can be awkward, especially if you are roleplaying a flashpoint, or doing as me and my friend above do, and stay in character and roleplay in open world. As the text box gets swamped with info.

I know you can turn General and other chat off. But i like to have it open so i can get involved with conversations.

Where are our chat bubbles ?

EA/BIO has something against them ? :)

just add a turn off feature for those who don't want them :) as stated 100 times

I'M so glad they listen to the FANS and feature we really like to see. Oh wait forgot this is EA

Edited by Wolvgar

• 2 months later...
All chat bubbles serve are attention whores. Forcing your thoughts on the people around you that didn't ask for them. 10 times as many people will ignore you than in general chat, therefore it will take 10 times as long for your groupfinder to pop. /whisper works just fine.

Impulsive judgements aren't your strong suit. Try thinking before posting / talking :) The primary complaint regarding the lack of chat bubbles, back in beta, was that no one knew who the heck was talking. It was pretty common for a dozen players to be in the one another's field of vision, someone would say something or ask for help with a mob and no one would know who was asking. Sure, there are ways to work around that, there's always something you can do, but that's not why these kinds of complaints exist! It's about ease and speed and cutting down on confusion, allowing everyone to choose the convenience of chat bubbles, or to choose turning them off.

Speaking out against options, any option, is always baffling, because options don't affect anyone who don't wish to be affected! Absolutely astonishing to see so many people antagonistically voicing their ignorance and selfish delusions over things that have absolutely nothing to do with them. One of these days, hopefully, these atrocious failings of humanity will stop astonishing me.

• 2 weeks later...

This discussion can be simply addressed by having BioWare provide us with an update or provide us a answer!!!

BioWare answer the question please...

Will we or will we NOT going to get this feature ???

Whats the status?

"Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing … how embarrassing." --- Yoda

"Lost the ability to answer BioWare has, How embarrassing...how embarrassing." --- Players that are asking this question

This discussion can be simply addressed by having BioWare provide us with an update or provide us a answer!!!

BioWare answer the question please...

Will we or will we NOT going to get this feature ???

Whats the status?

They answered this already. They said that chat bubbles caused significant engine issues // slow down ......... just like having more then 25 quests in your log... and can't do anything about it.

AKA, You're not getting them because the engine sucks and can't handle something mmo's have handled for the past 15 years.

• 3 weeks later...
I was in Beta and I knew then that there were no Chat Bubbles in the game, I however advocated for them thoroughly. Eventually we were told that Chat Bubbles were indeed going to be implemented for launch. Well, the time is here......I log in, No Chat Bubbles.

No Chat Bubbles, means that RP will have to be done in group chat where you are looking at your stupid chat box and trying to figure who said what instead of just looking at your screen.

I understand Bioware that you don't want your game to look like a cartoon, and I understand, but then again you guys are the ones that marketed this as an MMO. If you want to lie to us to get us to buy the damn thing, and then not implement something as common in MMO's as Chat Bubbles, then don't try to peddle this as a MMO.

It would be a Single Player RPG (With Multiplayer group Component).

I agree with all of this. Since the start I've been hating on Bioware due to them promising Chat Bubbles, in I believe 1.3 or so, and not having done so... it being 2.2.. or was it 2.3? Meh...

I've been pushing away RP on SWTOR due to this... I've RPed on WoW with chat bubbles forever, they are needed. ANd if someone doesn't like them - turn them off - just like in wow.

On another note... let our characters at least MOVE their hands when we /say something, for a game that has more animations then WoW (And wow characters actually do something when you use /say there) I'd expect SWTOR to be able to implement that, not just for RPers no. But for everyone, it just looks A LOT better then you standing there... very still and awkwardly as you talk.

Half of the time I don't know who's talking! I have to look at the chat box.. then find who talked, and etc..

They answered this already. They said that chat bubbles caused significant engine issues // slow down ......... just like having more then 25 quests in your log... and can't do anything about it.

AKA, You're not getting them because the engine sucks and can't handle something mmo's have handled for the past 15 years.

They actually said they want to implement them, and when they do, they want to do it right.

Its 2013, not the stone age, They can make them work. Besides, the SAME issue was with Nameplates, and they fixed those (to an extent.)

• 3 weeks later...

My last (first as well) MMO was City of Heroes. City of Heroes, at the time of shut down late in 2012 ( **** you NCSoft) was about seven years old, getting on for eight sometime in March, I think.

CoH had chat bubbles from day one. It also, hands down, had the BEST chat system, chatbox size/length and sheer number of emotes in any game I've seen since. None of this junk of having every emote produce something in chat as well, 90% of them horribly written, variants on the same type of emote (having only one sit pose is strange, weird and I don't like it...) and no-brainer emotes (lotus position sitting pose, at-ease for military types, tons of stuff)

Why is it that so few MMOs these days remember the mmoRPG part of the damn game? Sure, TOR is fantastic when it comes to story, voice acting, writing and character. It's just...kind of average when it comes to the rest of the stuff that counts as the cornerstone of RP. Which is really rather sad...

tl;dr : Seven year old and deceased MMO had chat bubbles. TOR has no damn excuse, AT ALL.

• 3 weeks later...
Chat bubbles please... Some of us wants this basic mmo feature.

The performance issue is a lame excuse.

They can make a feature like Chat Bubbles work.

They can't even put out a patch without a previous bug coming back (Power proc relics are once against stacking for anni marauders and then proc'ing again immediately after). I highly doubt they can make anything work at this point.

I wish we'd get chat bubble but I don't think it will happen anytime soon and likely never. :( The engine seem to be there number one problem, maybe it how they built on too it. Either way, as other said they can't even increase quest logs because it increases lags, that just sad.

If making chat bubbles appear everywhere is the issue just make chat bubbles only visible by friends, party members, or guild mates. Done. What's the problem? Where are our freaking chat bubbles? City of Heroes had them, and it was awesome. And I really really want them in this game. They make RP SO MUCH BETTER.

If making chat bubbles appear everywhere is the issue just make chat bubbles only visible by friends, party members, or guild mates. Done. What's the problem? Where are our freaking chat bubbles? City of Heroes had them, and it was awesome. And I really really want them in this game. They make RP SO MUCH BETTER.

Ungh, stop reminding me of how much I miss Paragon T_T

Bloody NCSoft....I seriously hope they crash and burn someday, I truly do.