Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

It is simply amazing when you go around the world and you see in the distance two players having an actual animated conversation instead of just staring at each other like silent puppets. This is something that, to my knowledge, has only been implemented in another MMO, and it has been the most succesful ever. Why copy so many features from that MMO and not this one. Having a different emote for sentences ending in "!" and ending in "?" and automatic emotes for simple things like "yes" and "no" is also key.

This would be great. I didn't realize WoW had that, but it really is little things like this that make in-game interaction so much more immersive. I realized last night how doll-like the avatars seem when I was having an RP conversation with another character, and she was just staring blankly over my shoulder the whole time. I wouldn't mind seeing some hand movement when speaking, as well as idle animations, like every so often turning the head, tapping a foot, cracking knuckles, whatever. Anything to breathe a little life into the avatars.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an RPer but I'm sure many like me are also missing the chat bubbles feature. It's an obvious feature to include though so I'm sure it's in the works as a patch for Q1/Q2 2012 after they release the game to the Oceanic regions.

I can't see them releasing any large client updates before they launch the game in a few regions. If it were me, I would want to make sure the current state of my game can handle the bulk of my user base before I make any major changes to it.

It'd be nice to see what the others are "/saying" without a bubble, just in yellow? letters or another color (I don't care) over their heads. Just like the npc conversations that we can read in yellow color in our general chat but over the players.

Yes, we need to look at the player, it's better for an IC conversation.

It'd be nice to see what the others are "/saying" without a bubble, just in yellow? letters or another color (I don't care) over their heads. Just like the npc conversations that we can read in yellow color in our general chat but over the players.

Yes, we need to look at the player, it's better for an IC conversation.

Yes, when I say "chat buble" that dosent mean there must be really a "buble", just some text printes to the screen next tot he character somehow.

I like the implementation done in LOTRO , wich text printed to the screen in yellow, as you say. I would find real bubles silly.

I like the implementation done in LOTRO , wich text printed to the screen in yellow, as you say. I would find real bubles silly.

If they can make bubbles an option, they should be able to making just floating text an option.

If they can make bubbles an option, they should be able to making just floating text an option.

Yeah. I never liked how LOTRO did it, cause it was hard to notice on most all occasions, and without any backing to the text, depending where you were, the text was unreadable mess mixed in with character name floating text too. Poorly implemented in lotro.

The bubbles in AoC are pretty bad too. Its this wee little black bubble with teeny tiny grey text in it. Nigh impossible to read on a high res monitor haha.

Have to admit, the bubbles done in SWG were done right. They even had different shaped bubble graphics for what kind of message it was: yell, shout, announce, emote, say, whisper (yes whisper! you could /whisper out loud and it would only travel like 5 feet from you... was so cool).

I've found that the best way for me to RP in person is to use /e, and then add text. For example:

/e checks her watch. "Well, I think it's time for me to go....."

Looks like:

The Duchess of Dork checks her watch. "Well, I think it's time for me to go....."

Excellent, excellent method. I'll be doing this from now on.

I've found that the best way for me to RP in person is to use /e, and then add text. For example:

Looks like:

The Duchess of Dork checks her watch. "Well, I think it's time for me to go....."

Sharp.

Makes sense, it's a color change that's default in the game.

Looks like:

Yup. Seems to be more noticeable.

Unfortunately theres a slight bug with it ;) The falloff distance for emotes is like a quarter mile! LOL. I /bugged it, and they said thanks and will investigate why it's doing that. Normal /say is about 100ish feet it seems (visually as I can gather). I haven't tested /yell yet.

Looks like:

Haha, good plan. The first thing I did when I logged in was change my /say and /em to both be the same color, and that color is a very different color than any other colors used by the chat system. It makes it -really- easy to see when someone's trying to talk to me in local.

Have to admit, the bubbles done in SWG were done right. They even had different shaped bubble graphics for what kind of message it was: yell, shout, announce, emote, say, whisper (yes whisper! you could /whisper out loud and it would only travel like 5 feet from you... was so cool).

+1, +1 and +1 !!

The workaround on the .ini file doesnt work anymore, and even if it did it would only be useful on your own personal machine, so, yeah, Chat Bubbles in the next patch please :D