Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

Yes, gief chat bubbles.

Will not be able to properly roleplay until they are in the game. Fortunately (albeit painful) my two best friends that I am going to roleplay with are going to be occupied over christmas -> new year. So for now we simply play the game and do not interact in /say at all. And we're also playing alts instead of levelling our "intended mains" :p ...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, either that or make /talk a repeating animation emote like /bow so you are also not staring at a completely unmoving puppet when RPing.

I spent an hour last night RPing on the highrise of the Alliance Fleet Cantina on The Progenitor (EU) and this bothered me at least as much as the lack of speech bubbles.

Shame there isn't a way to 'bind' /talk to the Enter key, would be a possible workaround.

Guys in the meantime do what did and make a say/whisper/guild chat only chat channel

Right click General tab-> New Chat Channel-> "Say"-" Right click on "say" tab-> Chat Settings -> disable everything but Say/guild/loot/whispers/party chat

Boom, you have a channel not flooded with LFG"s and random chatter. Sadly, I could not find a good place to put it, if only they allowed us to move our party member and companion icons I could fit it on the left bottom corner.

I haven't tried this yet as waiting for Maintenance to Pass...

However try this :

First find the file below

youraccountname_Account.ini in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor/settings (This was where i found it in Win7, not sure about any others sorry).

Now open this file with Notepad or whatever simple text editor you use.

Now at the bottom of the file try adding these two lines.

Social_UseOverheadChat = true
Social_ChatOverSelf = true

I wanted to post about this as well.

Chat bubbles are a must, if you think some players might be turned off by this feature, just make them optional.

Not only RPing is very hard without them, but it really kills the immersion.. you step in the cantina, people running around or standing next to each other.. and no "visible" chat occurring.

I haven't tried this yet as waiting for Maintenance to Pass...

However try this :

Social_UseOverheadChat = true
Social_ChatOverSelf = true

Unfortunately such a work around is just a hack for your own machine :( It doesn't help that pretty much everyone else running around won't even realize you are trying to talk to them because they are not seeing bubbles by default. They don't know how to hack them on, and thus the player isn't inclined to see or notice or talk in /say.

This is why this chat bubble OPTION needs to be on by default to make it a viable form of communication as a whole.

Those teeny tiny few who hate bubbles will turn them off and continue being as antisocial as they are normally. While the general population will see and use bubbles normally.

I just hope BW implement this sooner, then later. It really should have been in day 1... this is social chat basics 101.

Unfortunately such a work around is just a hack for your own machine :( It doesn't help that pretty much everyone else running around won't even realize you are trying to talk to them because they are not seeing bubbles by default. They don't know how to hack them on, and thus the player isn't inclined to see or notice or talk in /say.

This is why this chat bubble OPTION needs to be on by default to make it a viable form of communication as a whole.

Those teeny tiny few who hate bubbles will turn them off and continue being as antisocial as they are normally. While the general population will see and use bubbles normally.

I just hope BW implement this sooner, then later. It really should have been in day 1... this is social chat basics 101.

Yup I completely agree. They should have been in day 1. There are plenty of emote bugs too, for example, no laugh sound when you /laugh and and your character do not lay down when you write /sleep or /lay. So I hope there will be a (big) patch before/on the 20th.

Edited by BoninoX

1. Those changes to the ini file Do Not Work any more.

2. GZ stated in Beta that Chat bubble are high on the list for after launch.

Some have said they were in very early in Beta, but there were problems and removed.

Ah I see ,well I hope they return soon.

On the same note as chat bubbles.. how about the /talk emote being used automatically when you /say something?

I mean, either that or make /talk a repeating animation emote like /bow so you are also not staring at a completely unmoving puppet when RPing.

I spent an hour last night RPing on the highrise of the Alliance Fleet Cantina on The Progenitor (EU) and this bothered me at least as much as the lack of speech bubbles.

It is simply amazing when you go around the world and you see in the distance two players having an actual animated conversation instead of just staring at each other like silent puppets. This is something that, to my knowledge, has only been implemented in another MMO, and it has been the most succesful ever. Why copy so many features from that MMO and not this one. Having a different emote for sentences ending in "!" and ending in "?" and automatic emotes for simple things like "yes" and "no" is also key.

It is simply amazing when you go around the world and you see in the distance two players having an actual animated conversation instead of just staring at each other like silent puppets. This is something that, to my knowledge, has only been implemented in another MMO, and it has been the most succesful ever. Why copy so many features from that MMO and not this one. Having a different emote for sentences ending in "!" and ending in "?" and automatic emotes for simple things like "yes" and "no" is also key.

Yeah I did notice the lack of /say animation. I mean they have plenty of animations to copy/paste from the npcs walking around.

I do not rp but, chat bubbles would be a big help. It is very difficult to catch messages with the way the chat box is set up. There are not even audibles to alert you. Would make game a much better experience.

I was in Beta and I knew then that there were no Chat Bubbles in the game, I however advocated for them thoroughly. Eventually we were told that Chat Bubbles were indeed going to be implemented for launch. Well, the time is here......I log in, No Chat Bubbles.

No Chat Bubbles, means that RP will have to be done in group chat where you are looking at your stupid chat box and trying to figure who said what instead of just looking at your screen.

I understand Bioware that you don't want your game to look like a cartoon, and I understand, but then again you guys are the ones that marketed this as an MMO. If you want to lie to us to get us to buy the damn thing, and then not implement something as common in MMO's as Chat Bubbles, then don't try to peddle this as a MMO.

It would be a Single Player RPG (With Multiplayer group Component).

You live in the future?!?!?!