Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you prove this?

First of all, Eclipse was CREATED by Bioware itself to be Windows AND Mac ready and, compared to the original Warcraft III engine used by Blizzard to make WoW's, Eclipse was pretty much ready for it's development to continue into the MMO genre and thus for use with this game, and by far more optimized than Hero Engine.

Edited by Orisai

I once wrote a program to make a dot move across the screen on a TRS-80. How much harder could developing an Integrated MMO game system that handles hundreds of thousands of players simultaneously be? If only I could find a spare afternoon to whip one up, I'd start my own MMO and show everyone how bad the existing MMOs are.

Unfortunately I can't today, because I have several episodes of Red Eye PVRed that I need to watch.

First of all, Eclipse was CREATED by Bioware itself to be Windows AND Mac ready and, compared to the original Warcraft III engine used by Blizzard to make WoW's, Eclipse was pretty much ready for it's development to continue into the MMO genre and thus for use with this game, and by far more optimized than Hero Engine.

So your answer is no, you can't prove that the engine is at fault. Noted.

Speaking for yourself?

That wouldn't make sense, cause I know better than to try and defend a game that doesn't deserve defending.

But yes, "I know you are but what I am" still works on most grade school children if you want to try it with them.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

DA:O runs at MAX settings with just half of what SWTOR needs to run at MID.

You really don't get how this "evidence" thing works, do you? You also seemingly have a layperson's understanding of technology.

No wonder you blame the engine with no proof.

I don't need to know everything about game engines to know, that something with lower res textures and models should run at least as smooth as any other game with similar graphics and similar design. I played a lot of MMOs before, took part in 150 vs 150 battles in Lineage 2, in massive zerg fights in Aion, did raids and PvP in WoW and nothing, I mean nothing compares to the crap here. I had 80fps fighting at the gates of Aden, I could actually see the animations in gargantual zergfights in Abyss, but somehow I have 2fps all the time in 40vs40 fights on Ilum. That's how I know this engine sucks old socks. I don't have to be an engine developer to say that much.

Regards,

Kalantris

Lol when Aion first started you were lucky to get 10fps in the Abyss unless you disabled everything including player models, half the time for mass fights you were attacking name plates and little more.

That wouldn't make sense, cause I know better than to try and defend a game that doesn't deserve defending.

Still treating your opinions as facts?

How old are you? Isn't it time you learned some critical thinking skills? I could recommend some books if you'd like.

I once wrote a program to make a dot move across the screen on a TRS-80. How much harder could developing an Integrated MMO game system that handles hundreds of thousands of players simultaneously be? If only I could find a spare afternoon to whip one up, I'd start my own MMO and show everyone how bad the existing MMOs are.

Unfortunately I can't today, because I have several episodes of Red Eye PVRed that I need to watch.

Impressive riposte, funny also because it's an accurate assessment of the thread.

Too bad.. the Hero Engine was hailed as a finalist for one of the best Engines for MMO's in 2008 by whom you ask?

Game Developer Magazine.

and often won many titles in conventions..by whom? People who make MMO's.

yup. This engine sucks according to Armchair devs everywhere.. :rolleyes:

One thing you have to note in threads with the trolls from both sides arguing is that the side with the less cohesive point will start attacking the people making points for the other side and trying to derail the thread by going on about grammar or logic or why such and such comparison isn't a valid one. They will also become more and more snide.

Looking over the last few pages of this discussion it's the biotrolls who've been steadily heading in this direction.

This is called 'proof by verbosity.' and is entirely unhelpful.

Now I'm not saying it's always the 'fanbois' or the 'haters' who will do this, there will be a bit on either side most of the time, but when you start to see the scales tip heavily to one side or the other, it's quite rational to assume the side trying to make real arguments may have a real point.

Just a helpful hint for people trying to read the forums and work out who's trolling whom.

eg.

The Bozo's complaining about Hero Engine on this forum barely even know how to maintain their toasters let alone understand the complexities of programming. I guess the devs are to blame there too.

You'll note that it attacks people (everyone complaining in this case), is very snide and doesn't actually make any point at all.

Edited by areto

Too bad.. the Hero Engine was hailed as a finalist for one of the best Engines for MMO's in 2008 by whom you ask?

Game Developer Magazine.

and often won many titles in conventions..by whom? People who make MMO's.

yup. This engine sucks according to Armchair devs everywhere.. :rolleyes:

The Bozo's complaining about Hero Engine on this forum barely even know how to maintain their toasters let alone understand the complexities of programming. I guess the devs are to blame there too. ;)

Does it really matter if it's the engine that sucks, or BioWare's coders? The end result is the same.

Other than the massive lag on Ilum the game runs fine. Got any other examples?

I don't get any lag other than Ilum when massing for a fight. I don't have ability lag, which I personally think is a bunch of BS. I don't find too many bugs. No more than I did in WoW when Cataclysm was released.

Explain to me how Hero Engine is to blame? Point out real examples, not grasping for straws and looking for something to blame when you don't have a clue to what the coding is.

Edited by Daeborn

Yes, and with a game of this or any MMO, NEEDS to be done IN HOUSE. Hero engine is a piece of antiquated garbage. Why didn't they use Unreal engine or Gamebryo?

I believe in this exact thread I was told by someone that unreal engine is not suitable for MMOs, but guess what that person was wrong. I played TERA online closed beta last weekend and I was blown away by performance of unreal engine and how sweet everything looked. I thought those were the high res graphics for TERA until few days ago when they announced that they will be patching in the high-res textures. Now the game is going to look more awesome. Other than the graphics, engine, and combat, TERA is a piece of crap. Had no clue what the story was about.

I believe in this exact thread I was told by someone that unreal engine is not suitable for MMOs, but guess what that person was wrong. I played TERA online closed beta last weekend and I was blown away by performance of unreal engine and how sweet everything looked. I thought those were the high res graphics for TERA until few days ago when they announced that they will be patching in the high-res textures. Now the game is going to look more awesome. Other than the graphics, engine, and combat, TERA is a piece of crap. Had no clue what the story was about.

Beta <> Release. When it's released and the servers are stressed and multiple platforms are accessing the game then let me know how the performance is.

BTW I like Unreal Engine but Batman Archam City uses Unreal and it's had it's share of bugs.

Other than the massive lag on Ilum the game runs fine. Got any other examples?

I don't get any lag other than Ilum when massing for a fight. I don't have ability lag, which I personally think is a bunch of BS. I don't find too many bugs. No more than I did in WoW when Cataclysm was released.

Explain to me how Hero Engine is to blame? Point out real examples, not grasping for straws and looking for something to blame when you don't have a clue to what the coding is.

Whether you admit it or not, the game engine is not very well optimized. 2-3 mins loading screens, you don't have a problem with that? Or your fps dropping to like 30 at some places and coming back up when you stop moving, in other words fps spikes and this happens in areas where there are 0 players. You are a die-hard fanboy who doesn't want to admit into the game's real condition. Dream on

Beta <> Release. When it's released and the servers are stressed and multiple platforms are accessing the game then let me know how the performance is.

BTW I like Unreal Engine but Batman Archam City uses Unreal and it's had it's share of bugs.

Buddy, TERA had only 2 servers and they were PACKED. I can tell you weren't there because you are assuming too much. The general chat was getting like 100 messages every 5 secs and everywhere I went there were players around me. Oh and that wasn't in major city, it was just a leveling zone. Do you see that in SWTOR? Not really because they decided to tinkle with the population themselves and left everyone with extremely low pop, especially mine. There are usually 7-8 people in any zone I go to. Does that tell you something about the weak decisions bioware has made?

Lucas the Hutt is charging them so much in royalties that they had to save money somewhere. They may be making millions or even billions from this game in the long term, but at LEAST 30% of that it going right back to the Lucas Cartel.

So the first place they thought they would save money is by buying an existing, half baked game engine.