Community Blog Post Discussion: New Year’s PvP Update

CourtneyWoods

as long as they impliment something akin to WAR's "against all odds" for those servers with large factional imbalances. this should all be okay.

personally, i'm against the 50's warzone bracket as it will have a more detrimental effect than simply removing expertise from the game, or itemizing level 20 + 40 gear with some instead.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad they are doing this, it will finally highlight just how ridiculous not having cross server battlegrounds is when 1 battle opens per hour for those at 50. Oh and those of you who play earlier in the morning like myself, good luck getting it to open at all.

So you guys blaming the devs that more ppl created imperial toons than republic ones? lol.

I fail to see the post where people are 'blaming' devs for this, more people pointing out the problem with changing the daily and weekly objectives to be rewarded from kills where servers are so unbalanced from one side to another.

On the side with a much high number of players people will struggle to even find someone to kill, on the opposing the few that can muster together will simply be swarmed, seems like a lose lose situation. Currently people are essentially trading dailies / weeklies by allowing each other to cap, everyone just ignores each other. This will just promote kill trading, again defeating the purpose of the zone.

Happens in every MMO. Sorry to say, but either get in a PvP guild or just take your lumps.

This.

In Aion, they FORCED population balance to be no worse than about 52%-48% on launch. If your server was 52% Asmodian, you weren't allowed to roll an Asmodian on that server at all, until other people rolled Elyos on that server. It's about the most heavy-handed attempt that's ever been made to balance populations for the purpose of PVP.

And you know what? It didn't work. All the people who wanted to PVP still just rolled Asmodian because of the WOW mantra of, "If you want to PVP, roll evil." So even when populations were that closely balanced, Asmos still outnumbered Elyos at almost every major PVP event (unless people formed and brought their own massive PVP guilds to do stuff.)

Of course, nowadays, things have flipped on their head because of the leavers, but it basically only happened because the game is a ghost town now. But all I'm trying to say is, if THAT didn't work, what do you expect Bioware to do?

Sounds amazing!! Thank you for going towards 50 bracket and rated WZ and not arena kill fest ad nausea

I'm very much enjoying PVP in its current state. I do wish we could queue more friends together at once but that's coming I'm guessing with the rated WZ. If you guys get a chance do look at the parties not disbanding after each match. Or at least allow us to invite to group from the guild screen.

Edited by Qeuzolt

And what about faction imbalance in Ilum?

How are you supposed to kill the other faction, if they're outnumbering you by 2 to 1.

What they can do to help this (some ideas):

1. Implement a buff (+300% valor) for the faction that has the least players in area (check out "Against all Odds" from WARhammer)

2. Restrict the area once a certain imbalance happens (not good idea,but helps)

3. Instances filling with queue from both sides, so its balanced

But the odds 2:1 are very easy to be honest. We have played with 6:1 or 10:1 and still had good results.

I am glad to see a lot of these changes. They all look pretty good and will help the game. I hope they add some space PVP soon too. That will justify purple ship equipment, and really who doesn't want to dog fight once in a while? Plus, I used to love Starfox battles so if they make it like that it would be AWESOME! Maybe some PVP were you board ships like BF 2142 titan missions would be great as well. Then you can have a mixed map like SW: Battlefront 2 where you PVP in space, land so you can PVP while you destroy the capital ship from the inside, and the "escape" pod to planet for capture points in phase 3.

...I Just hope they work on crafting next, it is far more jacked up than PVP. Armstech is utterly useless so I really wish they would start their. Though only Biotech is the only one still useful at 50.

Things i like to see in the future:

-Objective points for offensive actions like bringing the ball over to the enemy side or lower the bridge on the Voidstar

-small Damage nerf for the Smuggler (im getting 2 hitted right now and im lvl 42-> 6,5k crit):mad:

-a hint how the turrets in the Wargame flashpoint works(my group died 4 times until we figured it out)

...Not sure about the removal of companions from Ilum, I figured companions had a perfect place in open world PvP, why not leave them? Everyone has access to one, so it's still a balanced fight.

One of the most frustrating parts of open world PvP in an MMO is the rock-paper-scissors nature of class balance. With a companion to balance out our weaknesses, it levels the playing field a bit, and makes fights more interesting, and more importantly, more skill based....

I agree, it makes sense for companions to be restricted out of Warzones but not from open world PVP. Just make Ilum a WZ and be done with it then.

How about you just make all warfronts having the ability to play the same faction. With only adding another faction vs faction it means hutball and the new one will be played a majority of the time.

this i huge! i really love this, what the pvp game needs! THANKS YOU BIOWARE...

now make sure u do the ilum open pvp properly

- THERE NEEDS to be a "battlefont" u can fight over, that u can progress and move further to the opposing teams main base after how well your faction are doing, make different objectives along that line between the bases, such as destroying certain key defense points (not just my stading channeling a rocket launcher for 10sec), or creating certain attacking structures to give you an advantage of the battlefield.

The medal system in warzones as i mentioned is also gonna get changed a bit.

- The current medal system rewards players running around smashing people in the head, rather than doing the actual goal of the warzone... There should be 2 different kind of medals, combat medals and objective medals. Leave combat medals as it is, and add a huge amount of ways to gain objective medals, such as

Huttball

- Fight within range of the ball

- Heal the ball carrier, heal people fighting within range of the ball

- Pass the ball (maybe passing across a ledge, or to a higher levitated level would give more), recieve the ball, score the ball, pick up the ball, intercept the ball

- damage the ball carrier, guard the ball carrier

Void star

- CC someone within a certain range of a door while someone is planting the bomb

- Plant the bomb / make way through barrier

- interrupt the bomb from being planted, defuse the bomb.

- heal people fighting within the door range, damage people within range of the door

Civil war

- Fight within the turret area (could be devided into defensive and offensive wether u own the turret or not), heal within the turret area

- CC someone who is in range of the turret area while teammate is attempting to turn it

- interrupt the turret from beeing captured by the enemy

All kind of stuff can be added, that benefits your team from the objective of the warzone, rather than only killing a lot of people.

Really looking forward to the 50bracket and ranked warzones. hope all of the pvp changes will be done right, then its gonna be a really great game, rather than a great game!

Great list of changes, pretty much the bulk of items I've been thinking about! Especially the ilum changes and warzone brackets.

Glad to see dev's paying attention to the community. Any ETA on when we might see the brackets in game? On my server at least warzones have gotten unplayable for many a low level republic player due to the number of active geared 50 empire premades. Its not unusual to loose 15-20 warzones in a row since you've got 5-6 sub 30's fighting double premades in full champion gear with 1-2 people afk'ing just outside the spawn right off the bat. Its just not fun when its like that, so the sooner you can get the brackets in the better it will be overall.

But nice work so far! Keep it up!

+1

Cute how it mentions Huttball was played the most, as if we have any choice. Huttball is terrible and for some reason it forces me to play it 9 times out of every 10 times I queue up for PVP. It sucks. Please oh please make it so we can choose which warzone we want SOON!

And what about faction imbalance in Ilum?

How are you supposed to kill the other faction, if they're outnumbering you by 2 to 1.

Of course someone would have to find a reason to keep whining.

Awesome Bioware! I for one thought I'd never PVP in this game, but I've become quite the PVP addict!

Edited by onstorm