Most needed: remove shuttle bays!

Catablepas

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching a bunch of loading screens isn't 'fun'. I play games to have fun. If it's not enjoyable, why not try to make it more enjoyable?

If you want total immersion, why aren't you complaining about not having to maintain your ship? Perform pre-flight checks? Manage fuel consumption? Mandatory pre-flight weight-and-balance CG spreadsheets. Filing flight plans. Getting clearance to leave/land...

You guys could be demanding an entire day's worth of hassle to get in the way of the fun of fighting and killing stuff.

But, this game isn't a flight sim; it's supposed to be an RPG. All these loading screens just get in the way of the fun and doesn't add anything of value.

For me, it's not as much about immersion as it is keeping some bit of realistic limitations. It should take time to travel between planets. Enough time that it causes you to stop and think ahead about your schedule. We are playing a MMORPG in a universe where space travel could take days! I think 10-15 minutes is an acceptable travel time to imitate that limitation in the Star Wars universe.

I do understand the complaint about loading screens, however! I would be fine with an overhaul of the system so that there were fewer loading screens but still took the same amount of time to travel.

I believe EVE Online is right up your alley.

What I do not get is why does our ship auto launch into space whenever we enter it. Whose brilliant idea was that? Want to talk about un-needed. I was told I had a message from a Jedi Master and needed to go to my holoterminal on my ship. So I go, thinking I'll return to doing what I was doing afterwards. No...instead I go to my ship, and it immediately launches into space. Wait for a load screen. Then run to the holoterminal and wait for a load screen as it goes to a cutscene. Finish convo. have to reland on planet. Exit ship. Go to elevator. Wait for load screen. Enough all ready!

Perhaps you should have activated your holoterminal before you landed?

The need for instant delivery and gratificaiton has become epidemic in our society it seems. :)

Need an instant /level 50 button too? :p

I personally don't see this as a big issue, unless you are heading to fleet 20 times a day.

Oh well, you'll get over it.

...it's about asking one simple question when designing your game: Is this going to provide for a better game play experience?

Exactly. This should be the question game designers ask themselves at every stage of the design process. It should be displayed on banners and posters throughout the studio, a mandatory sig on every internal e-mail or communication, and a mantra to be repeated at the beginning of every meeting until it is permanently imprinted into their brains like their Social Security numbers. Everything falling outside this question tends to be game-killing BS.

Instead, the questions that Bioware seemed to ask are:

1. WWBD (What Would Blizzard Do?)

2. How do we create as many meaningless time sinks as possible to create the illusion that this game has more gameplay than it does?

I agree with this 100% i dont mind having a place where my ship is. But the Spacedocks are so useless. and when on the elevator/corridor there is ONLY ONE other destination. Just send me there. Dont make me click the thing select the only other place to travel then wait to load through it. Its obnoxious.

I think the system is fine. Of course no one is asking for a teleport button, but still quicker gratification is the plea.

Is it possible the developers didn't want space travel to be quick? It is supposed to make you think ahead and make you plan.

The change in MMO community over the years amazes me! For years in SWG if you missed the interplanetary shuttle, you would stand still for 10 minutes waiting for the next one. And very few people complained. The need for instant gratification is dumbing down today's MMOs. This OP is just a symptom of a larger problem.

If that is developers intent, they FAIL hard! Make some stuff going on in the space ports. Put a vedor in my hanger, or a mailbox...too much to ask? make me dodge the occasioal baggage cart! have a line at customs and some guards worrking over some hard cases. ships flying in and out!

The travesty is dead empty useless hallways followed by a load screen or black transition. If this is what those areas are, remove them. Simple as that.

Edited by Catablepas

I like realism in travel aspects in an MMO, there is no need to destroy the immersion of a "world", however there is a tipping point of unessecary and cumbersome mechanics that add nothing to the realism and immersion of travel. I think BW has put a few too many ports and elevators and screen loads in than needed. It would be toned back a bit and still give the feeling of travel.

My biggest issue with this is not the loading screens (very fast on my new PC), but that with Star Wars architecture everything is pointlessly grandiose. That's fine, as it's part of the style of the universe.

But it makes for alot of walking through big empty halls, elevators, and more big empty halls just to get somewhere with something to do. As others have mentioned, this gets remarkably tedious when your class quests have you bouncing between planets just for a conversation to be sent to yet another planet, that requires traversing all the halls some more.

Edited by saltorio

My biggest issue with this is not the loading screens (very fast on my new PC), but that with Star Wars architecture everything is pointlessly grandiose. That's fine, as it's part of the style of the universe.

But it makes for alot of walking through big empty halls, elevators, and more big empty halls just to get somewhere with something to do. As others have mentioned, this gets remarkably tedious when your class quests have you bouncing between planets just for a conversation to be sent to yet another planet, that requires traversing all the halls some more.

Yep. It's not just the extra time or the very odd "why do I have to blast off the planet to enter my ship?" issue.

There's nothing going on in the spaceport. No interaction. Nobody else doing anything at all. It's simply boring.

I made a comment in gchat recently about this. I do find it a little annoying and would much rather go immediately from Fleet to my ship and vice versa. Maybe as an option in preferences, so people who want to see their ship zooming in on a planet with load screens galore can continue to do so. xD

When you are bopping around from planet to planet helping guildies with heroics, pvping, picking up dailies, selling stuff on the GM, doing flashpoints, killing world bosses...

Yeah that ends up being a lot of load screens. I personally don't spend all my sessions of gaming on one planet. I do 2-4 of the things I listed above. All of which involve me getting on my ship and traveling. :p

Edit: All this being said I don't feel this is a high priority issue.

Edited by qqemokitty

To many loading screens. When you enter ship, when you leave ship. I don't get it. WoW barely had any loading screens and it is an old game.

And the loading screens for TOR take a very long time, even if you have a high end pc.

Indeed, I play on an SSD with 500MB/s reads and it is still way slower than it should be... Don't want to know how this is on a "normal" computer...

Edited by Verita

I don't mind the shuttle bays, but I do mind the space orbital stations. Oh "but there are quest givers there, oh mai, what ever would we do if we didn't have this here orbital station to pick up this quest," you know the ones that aren't on half the planets but we still manage to get quest? And why is there two hallways on the orbital stations? One long empty one that never shows your ship (buh-bye "immersion") just a door and a long hallway that leads to...an elevator! Yay! Elevator down (cutscene) and a minor npc hub (another note, why can't I enter party member ships at this place? There's a door, it's right there, but nope, denied), the first time there's a quest giver (yay!) after that it's just run-run-run-run-run to the shuttle (cutscene). Down to the planet and force gods help you if you have a class quest that requires multiple visits to Tython, Hoth, or a handful of other orbital-bound planets, cause you are hosed! Go talk to your holoterminal -> go to Tython (orbital station, no quest giver) -> go back to holoterminal -> go to Hoth (orbital station, and hai look, no quest giver) -> go to holoterminal (.....srsly? why can't I just access one of those hand holoterminals everyone has during quest) -> go to fleet station (yay, no orbital station!) -> go to Belsavis (orbital station)....

I get the immersion argument, I do. I've been doing this whole RPG gaming thing since MUD's were it, but the game loses you in those transfers. Possibly if the orbital stations were mini-fleets and you saw other players (or there were GTN stations, trainers, vendors selling stale peanuts, something) it would change it, but right now they aren't immersed. It's just a big empty room that I have to run thru, it feels dead. Instead of being something that adds to the overall feel of the game it becomes an eventual trench.

tl/dr: change or delete orbital stations

Hello Folks,

Great game, obviously needs more TLC. Get the feeling it was a little rushed for christmas, oh well, move on.

The number one problem I have with this game right now is accessibility. forcing players to travel through 4 (sometimes 6 loading screens to get to an area and begin questing is very cumbersome, resource intensive and just plain not fun. It means I have to make a major decision if I want to return to my ship to run space missions, knowing it will take a bout 15 minutes of loading screens to return to the area I am questing at.

These loading screens serve no purpose unless they trigger a story event.

My proposal, abolish all hanger bays from normal play. If I am in the republic fleet and I click my hanger, have me zone directly in my ship. (And while you are at it send me to the map room, I don't want to run all over my ship to travel)

In the event there is a story triggered then and only then take me to the hanger bay.

This will improve my game experience a great deal. Thank you for reading.

Maybe they should just make a menu where you can select how you want to advance your character. I know there is a game that's perfect for you.

progressquest.com

Check it out its designed just for you. Not like you'd ever want to feel like you had a ship that you went into. Not like that you would ever want to feel like you had to fly around from place to place.

How about you enjoy the world that you are in and interact with the people that you see. If you don't like it then move along there are other games to play.