Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

When you accept the TOS you agree to the TOS, no matter what they have. Like usual, mmo companies OWN your account, therefore can ban at any time for any reason. You accepted that when you said yes.

BZZZZZZ WRONG.

Although you aren't buying the account, when you sub/buy the game, you are basically signing a contract that states in return for X monies, you get access to their servers in relation to game playing services. Getting banned (Theoretically at all, although if you're cheating (botting) reverse engineering a game comes under the computer misuse act...) makes the service 'not fit for purpose' and although you're not going to be sueing anyone over it, a full refund is well within your consumer rights.

You can sign whatever ToS you want, if terms that break laws, or general fairness/realistic rules (Here gets a little grey, but generally its rules that are realistically obtainable) are included, they are generally quickly ignored. The ToS could state that EA may **** my mother, murder everyone I know, invade my country, and do 20 lines of coke a day. Wouldn't make it legal (And those clauses would be considered invalid.)

Personally I'd like to see if any term in a contract is null the entire thing is (Shame that isn't the law :( ) Might fix the terrible consumer right knowledge that is widespread among people today :(

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People doing this had to know that it was unintended and taking unfair advantage of a situation, right?

You could go to witergrasp in WoW at 40 (I think was the required level for 375+ at the time) and farm to your hearts content.

Try grabbing some money at a bank or store while the employees aren't watching, then uncork "Well, they should not have left it there unguarded, it is their fault, not mine!"

Criminal Law says hi.

Actually this is the terrible example since unless it is in writing it is actually "legal".

I meant it as if low levels did it THEN it would be an exploit.. since low levels aren't suppose to be in that area and then they exploit the mobs so they can get high level loot THAT IS AN EXPLOIT..

seriously raging at someone just because doesn't gain you respect and you don't control me.. you dont control these forums I can talk whenever and to whoever I want

I'll try to say this a bit more eloquently.

He's angry because going to a high level area and farming mats happens all the time in other mmorpgs, as a "sploit" its at best a grey area, at worst its just an industrious player.

The kicker is the banhammer. Being banned from a game is like losing 60 bucks (more if he bought the rich kid edition) Its a bit extreme when you're dealing with something that at best is a grey area isnt it? Couldent they say "this is not something we want you to do." and kick him out of the zone, and if he returns THEN action his account? that would be far more reasonable.

it's hard to believe the poster didn't know it was an exploit if s/he used "Enjoy while it lasts!!" at the end...

yea...

Still not an exploit. Hell, when Firelands was first released, Blizzard screwed up with the drop rate off of the first trash. Instead of knee-jerking and banning players, they adjusted the drop rates ASAP. no harm, no foul, no bans.

I'll try to say this a bit more eloquently.

He's angry because going to a high level area and farming mats happens all the time in other mmorpgs, as a "sploit" its at best a grey area, at worst its just an industrious player.

The kicker is the banhammer. Being banned from a game is like losing 60 bucks (more if he bought the rich kid edition) Its a bit extreme when you're dealing with something that at best is a grey area isnt it? Couldent they say "this is not something we want you to do." and kick him out of the zone, and if he returns THEN action his account? that would be far more reasonable.

^ This.

It is a massive overreaction, IF farming was all that was going on.

Still not an exploit. Hell, when Firelands was first released, Blizzard screwed up with the drop rate off of the first trash. Instead of knee-jerking and banning players, they adjusted the drop rates ASAP. no harm, no foul, no bans.

However people were actioned for exploiting the LFR.

And the person in question here....is posting in the forums. Obviously NOT a perma ban in this case.

well where did you hear this? can the person who told you provide evidence? like a copy of the ban saying he was banned for going to illum?

The post was submitted inside the thread by BionicPorkadin.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...going_to_ilum/

It was slightly editted to remove any account information.

Although to be honest, at this point: I cannot offer any further information. It's not my account, and there's only so much you can post before it violates forum rules.

There's more information on the reddit forums as well (which are not moderated by bioware) And you can also search google for "banned for going to ilum" to see how many threads are there (and closed).

I don't want to get caught up with any individual account, but merely that these actions are being taken: And in my opinion, it's heavy handed and only punishes customers for poorly designed gameplay.

^ This.

It is a massive overreaction, IF farming was all that was going on.

critical thinking ftw!

I'm still not convinced that this is actually what happened. I'm pretty sure the kid was farming tons of mats and selling credits or something, either that or he has something like a 2 hour cool off period rather than a ZOMG BAN

I'm very interested to hear what ACTUALLY happened, from bioware or screenshots of the email.

IF the player went to ilum and did nothing but farm and got banned...I'm canceling my account, removing SWTOR, and boycotting bioware products completely.

I'm very interested to hear what ACTUALLY happened, from bioware or screenshots of the email.

IF the player went to ilum and did nothing but farm and got banned...I'm canceling my account, removing SWTOR, and boycotting bioware products completely.

^

Provide evidence for your claim, OP.

This is still a new game and slicing was flooding the economy with money and that was with players that sent companions to do it. Easiest way around this nerf was just go to somewhere like illum and then slicing would be pure profit. Sure, its a loophole but I'm glad they are doing stuff like this. You may not have bad intentions but I'm sure there are players out there exploiting this to farm credtis with intention to sell. Considering the game is new even small amounts of credtis could be sold to new players.

....what's the point of lvling slicing to 400 post nerf? Also, can you honestly say you didn't feel like you were exploiting the system to farm credits?

critical thinking ftw!

I'm still not convinced that this is actually what happened. I'm pretty sure the kid was farming tons of mats and selling credits or something, either that or he has something like a 2 hour cool off period rather than a ZOMG BAN

If he was just farming, however, the fact that they started with any ban is a bit frightening. How are we -- the players -- supposed to divine what is off limits and what isn't? Should people be afraid of capping out an ability and farming, say, Corelia, too? If the intent is to lock certain players out of a particular area, then why aren't there restrictions that do just that in the game?

Again, if all he was doing was farming, that isn't an exploit. 'Tagging' a raid boss and kiting it to a collection of guards, who then kill the boss so you can loot all the epics solo? That's an exploit. Farming a zone that has no other obvious restrictions against being there, with a trade skill that you already worked hard to level yourself? Not an exploit... not in the the traditional sense, at least.

True.

but if they FEEL it is something that wasn't intended and might possibly get in trouble for it, doesn't that constitute a possible wrong-doing?

Yes absolutely.

At the same time not all people would necessarily see the situation quite the same way.

To the poster it seemed like an exploit, to another person it would seem normal.

For me and having played WoW, Wintergrasp was much the same as illum so I see it as something that is intended or at worst "not an issue".