Share your favourite thing(s) about SWTOR!

KianSri

In light (or perhaps dark) of the overwhelming negativity I so often see on the forums, I thought it'd be a refreshing change of pace to share what we LIKE and ENJOY about this game. Because for all its faults and flaws - clearly many of us are still here and playing!

(No, this is not a troll post. Nor is this a place for backhanded, sarcastic comments like 'I enjoy how x is still bugged'. There are plenty (PLENTY!) of other threads for that sort of thing.)

Share what makes you happy about this game! A favourite character or location, a great experience you've had while playing, your favourite thing to do while you're running around in this galaxy far, far away. What draws you to this game? Is it the story, the playstyle, just the fact that it's Star Wars?

For me, as a nearly lifelong Star Wars fan, I love a game where I can log in and create a plethora of my own characters and have their stories intertwine. SWTOR is what got me writing proper fanfic again after legit ten years of not, and I'd forgotten what a joy and delight it is to have so many story ideas that no matter how much I write, the list never gets shorter. I love that the game gives us so many varying companions to accompany us on our journey and to weave into our own characters' stories (for me, top of the list is Scourge. He FASCINATES me with how complex he is, ruthless and decisive yet also open-minded and hilariously snarky sometimes, and it has been a LONG time since I was so invested in a character who wasn't mine).

I love the emotional impact so many environments have, whether it's the fading, yearning sunset of Coruscant, or the uneasy darkness of Belsavis vaults, or the reflective breathing space that Ossus always brings me. And I love taking screenshots across so many fascinating worlds, working with the different colours and lighting to create a little story in just a picture or two.

I love playing Space Barbie in this game, the challenge I set myself of taking pieces from totally different sets and pulling them together into a cohesive outfit. No other game gives me SO MANY OUTFIT SLOTS! And I'm very close to maxing them out again on my main character even after they were doubled to 32 xD

I've met some wonderful people thanks to SWTOR, whether in game or just out here in the community. And I'm so very grateful that this game exists.

Screenshot(27679)2.thumb.png.c78080a64ffa9d3dc8e6abdd61f16161.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I love so much about the game, I could literally go on for pages, but since I'm at work, I'll keep it short.

1. The setting. I love Star Wars, but hands down my favourite era, and the only one I'm really attached to, is the Old Republic. The books, the comics, the games - I love them all and being able to play my multitude of characters in this setting is amazing. There could be a million other Star Wars games in the world without all the bugs that exist in this game, but as long as this was the game set in the Old Republic it would remain the one I play the most and my favourite.

2. The stories/characters. And here is where I really could go on and on and on. In all forms of entertainment I enjoy (books, movies, video games) the thing that draws me in and keeps me there are the stories. I don't care how good the combat system is or how balanced classes are, if the story is bad I'll leave and if it's good, I'll stay. SWTOR is so good. Sure there are places where I think it could be better, but I love it anyway because what we have is enough to make my characters ans their companions alive in my mind.

3. The community and their wonderful creations. I'm talking less about the community here on the forums and more of the community in various other spaces where people share their creativity as inspired by SWTOR. Their fanfics and fan art. A lot of the things I see are just so good and were it not for this game, I'd probably never find these creators and be able to enjoy their talents.

• Like 5

Lana Beniko, shes by far my favourite video game character period and i've played a looooooot of games with a loooooot of characters, there are plenty of other good chars with good stories too, i also love how long game is, i actually LOVED all the DLC's (excluding Makeb), i love how gray it is and it isn't "good vs evil" black and white, most planets are also great and great effort was put into this games lore, mounts are amazing too, just bought covert stalker today, and yeah im mostly story focused player so story and characters is what i love most, of course i have like 5000 more good things that i love but you get the gist of it.

also wanted to say i appreciate this post, i too see so much negativity, sometimes its deserved sometimes its not but god sometimes it really feels like this forum is more against the game than for it, people often go about issues the wrong way too they try to get devs attention but make dramatic if not downright insulting posts resulting in dev probably not reading it, if people stopped for a bit and realized that we all still love the game i think communication would go way better.

Edited by BulbulusTheGreat
  • Like 8

I appreciate the consistency of this game. The galaxy never really changes, there are exceedingly few time exclusive rewards, all events repeat and no content ever gets removed. That means whenever I take a break and come back a few months or even years later, everything is still there. I can still visit the same Balmorra I visited 10 years ago, still play the same flash points, still collect the same bounties. I have never felt pressured to play SWTOR with the fear of missing out. It makes it quite easy to quit and start again, something all of us have probably done multiple times. The game doesn't punish you for it, unlike some other MMOs. 

• Like 7

I liked 6.0 it was a great time! 😂

There's not a whole lot of upside right now, but I will say I'm a fan of most of the people on the forums these days. Its nice that while the Devs bury head in sand, people articulate well about all the issues/offer solutions. Most MMOs its a dumpster fire, Lost Ark shut off their forums for example. 

Its a pretty awesome community despite how badly the Devs treat them, they somehow find a way to optimistic even when all the signs point to more problems, they list issues on PTS even knowing its going to be ignored.

So the best thing about Swtor right now, in my opinion is all of you guys. You deserve so much better but I respect each of you for maintaining composure in the face of such unprofessionalism & someone destroying something you love.

Cheers to all of you who keep trying to make the best of a bad situation, esp one you have no control over. Godspeed out there. 

Edited by TheVoyant
  • Thanks 1

1. Star Wars setting

2. Stories (especially vanilla ones)

3. Being able to play antihero if you choose so (which simultaneously makes a choice to play a hero more meaningful)

4. People who play the game (even if some get on my nerves every ones in a while)

5. Companions - original ones with stories that matter, new ones not so much

• Like 5

So many things!

Like most people here, the story - from the class storylines right through to the present, I love the narratives. They're mature, interesting, can be funny or desperately sad. So good they bear repeating.

The voice acting is some of the best in gaming full stop.

The design - I think it's beautiful. I love the sturdy colourful world which stops short of being cartoonish. Even zones which shouldn't be 'beautiful' are gorgeous to look at. Corellia is a good example - it's supposed to be this broken war zone but it's just stunning. Have a look at the shipyards for example. I simply love *being* in the SWTOR world.

The tone. I love that it's Star Wars for grown ups.

Space Barbie - the outfit system is excellent and imho at the top of any mmo I've played. It's easy and cheap to start, you don't have to spend irl cash to make some fab outfits, but if you do have some CC kicking around, the sets on offer in the Cartel Market are gorgeous (barring some clipping issues which I long for them to fix.) The meme that 'Space Barbie is endgame' is not as much of a joke as people imply!

The game play. It's good!

And of course it's Star Wars. I'm *still* excited when I hear iconic bits of music, or talk to a Hutt, or ride a Bantha around on Tatooine etc etc.

It's a great game.

Edited by Jazulfi
some typos and meaning and I forgot space barbie
  • Like 6

Character design options. Sure more be good, can never have to many. Option to play male, female of multiple species. Again more be nice. 

First few years of individual class story. 

Yes, it's Star Wars.

Easy to play, no dumbass stupid jumping that is thought-out other EA games, which is why I play none of the others. Just 4 mins into Jedi Survivor was 4 mins to long.

Option to have class skill tree and to change it. 

Planetary design(s)

LATER ADDTIONS.

Outfitter.

Strongholds.

Legacy bank for easy storage for account. 

Edited by Talleradax
  • Like 1

(not necessarily in any particular order)
** Strongholds
** Companions  
** SEVERAL of the stories (including SOME vanilla, SOME KotFE / ET, SoV (w/o the bugs) / Showdown on Ruhnuk / Onderon
** the encouragement to build several models that we did (they use to be posted)
** Outfitter (a really useful tool in many ways)
** Legacy:  banks / weapons / and many other applicable conveniences
** I really enjoyed creating a Smuggler character that was for the most part LS ... (but could be a little naughty from time to time)  😇
** Numerous really funny one liners throughout the game I'm still remembering the gold heist with Vet in that warhead and later on Gault ... "What are we up to now ... Plan "C"?
** So many places where the artwork is just outstanding (too numerous to mention).
** AND ...  the many folks here in forum that put up with a cranky old man !!  😉

AND  (of course ... it's all done in a Star Wars setting)

Edited by OlBuzzard
syntax ... error !!
  • Like 4

my favorite feature is 10 years of outfits all composing different parts (head/chest/wrist/gloves/belt/legs/boots).

Most games don't offer hundreds of outfits all with separate pieces to mix and match.

This game may have one of the worst dye systems I've seen in MMOs but it has a lot of outfit options for making original outfits.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 3

I love my characters, making them, developing their personalities, their relationships with the companions and romances. I love tying them to each other in their own saga. I might have a plethora of issues with some of Lucas's concepts the man understood what a Saga is and it still goes on. I adore having my personal Saga with lightsabers.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, sharpenedstick said:

My favorite thing is how they abandoned the terrible KotET/KotFE storyline.

Did you read the part where this is intended as a thread for genuine positivity? Or did you just elect to ignore that bit in favour of being snide? If you'd like to complain about the KOTXX storyline, you're of course welcome to do so - in another thread.

Now come on, what's something you really like about this game? What makes you smile when you play? (And if the answer is 'nothing', then really, why did you come in here in the first place?)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KianSri said:

Did you read the part where this is intended as a thread for genuine positivity? Or did you just elect to ignore that bit in favour of being snide?

And you just fed him by responding.

Humans never learn.

smh

---

*On-topic:  Besides our guild(s) , my favorite part of SWTOR is of course  GSF :csw_falcon:   and...................the  KOTET/KOTFE chapters! :ph_lol:

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KianSri said:

Did you read the part where this is intended as a thread for genuine positivity? Or did you just elect to ignore that bit in favour of being snide? If you'd like to complain about the KOTXX storyline, you're of course welcome to do so - in another thread.

Now come on, what's something you really like about this game? What makes you smile when you play? (And if the answer is 'nothing', then really, why did you come in here in the first place?)

You brought it on yourself by complaining about negativity. Next time you want a purely positive thread, start by making your OP purely positive instead of backhanded complaining about people with legitimate issues with the game.

You also need to learn that identifying defects in a product you pay for is not "negativity." Some of you don't seem to realize that Biosword isn't producing the game as a favor to us. This is a product. We are customers. If you go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac and they give you a bun with some sauce and a half-eaten patty, you're going to have some issues. This is no different.

I really like how they don't bother fixing bugs, because then I don't have to expect other fixes in the future.

Want a real answer? Edit your OP to remove complaining about complaining. Be the change you claim you want to see.

Edited by sharpenedstick

1 hour ago, sharpenedstick said:

You brought it on yourself by complaining about negativity. Next time you want a purely positive thread, start by making your OP purely positive instead of backhanded complaining about people with legitimate issues with the game.

You also need to learn that identifying defects in a product you pay for is not "negativity." Some of you don't seem to realize that Biosword isn't producing the game as a favor to us. This is a product. We are customers. If you go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac and they give you a bun with some sauce and a half-eaten patty, you're going to have some issues. This is no different.

I really like how they don't bother fixing bugs, because then I don't have to expect other fixes in the future.

Want a real answer? Edit your OP to remove complaining about complaining. Be the change you claim you want to see.

is the person wrong though? forums are always full of negativity whether its about DLC's (which are matter of taste more than anything else) or something more valid like bugs, pvp and devs ignoring people but in any case he/shes not wrong, forums do tend to be full of negativity and as valid as some complaints are they're still negativity and you just contributed to OP being right.

i know that by responding im adding oil to the fire and im not trying to argue or disagree with you regarding the many issues this game has,  im simply telling you that OP isn't wrong about negativity part and you proved it, im not a fan of fake positivity either and i do agree that issues need to be brought up but you're in a wrong place for it, this doesn't seem like fake positivity to me but genuine appreciation of game we all love and OP just wants to enjoy positive aspects of the game in a flood of negativity (bordering hate sometimes) at the end of the day it would be respectful thing to OP to honour their wish on their own post and actually let them (and rest of us) enjoy positive aspects of the game,now whether you're a respectful person or not remains to be seen.

thats going to be all ill say on this matter.

Edited by BulbulusTheGreat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

the best about SWTOR for me was the 6.x era.

best and long story contant drop it has and also give it to us that it also took some hours to compleet till the end.

the renown system was also something good since you got a good reason to play on your level 75 chars more what was back then the max level.

same with the dark vs light system it got to farm dark/light side tokens

also less screw ups or things that go wrong in the bad way.

it also got the best social system to get social points to give heroic's a reason to run with more people for the fun.

it was a good time back then its sad its all gone now.

The re-playability of the vanilla content (basically through KotET). It's extensive enough that you can play through it every few months and it still feels "fresh". Since 5.0, there has been so little content and it has been so heavily focused on flashpoints (or extremely linear and generic mission paths), that it loses the feel of re-playability. I've played through to the end of KotET dozens of times but beyond that only a couple of times. I also tend to wait to play any of the "new" content until there is enough of it that it takes more than 1 short sitting to complete it (only up to date on 1 character and probably won't take another character to the end for quite a while as it really isn't worth it right now).

• Like 3

Sung to this...

https://i.imgur.com/bS4hscA.png

Lights in dark caverns and incorrect meshes,
Shaking of cameras and occasional crashes,
Hastily painted low-res landscape scenes,
These are a few of my favorite things!

When the comp dies...
When the screen locks...
When I need a rez...

I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so dead.

• Like 2

I like many many many things about this game, but rather than listing literally everything and making this post 3 pages long, I'll keep it to a list of the top things that really just keep me super addicted and coming back to this game and stop other games from being able to pull me away.

In no particular order:

1. Being able to play as twi'leks awesome Star Wars aliens!
  2. The fact all the player characters are fully voice acted by amazing voice actors, and that there are so many different voice options!
  3. The cinematic cutscenes
  4. All the amazing bi romance options post-vanilla game (especially Theron and Lana but also so many vanilla companions becoming biromanceable when they come back!)
  5. Co-op pve gameplay, being able to play with my friends
  6. Theron Shan

☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.