The New Forums are here!

JackieKo

34 minutes ago, YaddleTwo said:

My major critique is the reputation system will absolutely be abused somehow.

I don't always want people to know i'm online so if there was a privacy toggle for activity that'd be cool.

The quote + feature is too pronounced and the 'reply' feature is too subdued, maybe highlight it with a little yellow perhaps?

i agree  with all 3 of your  points ^   ...and i'm in the process of making my own  'suggestion/request list' for  @JackieKo & the rest of  new forums team.

( i really wish i had been invited to the 'beta test' of these new forums  BEFORE they went  live, but oh well)

3 hours ago, BenKatarn said:

While I haven't had ample time yet to check the new forums for functionality, my first impression is... disappointment. Honestly, the new forums are just like all the other graphical "improvements" the game itself had to its UI over the last couple of years: soulless. The previous forums had more character and personality from its art direction, there was a certain regalness to the design. This one on the other hand looks barebones as hell. The individual categories don't even have unique icons anymore. This looks like a board from the early 2000s in terms of design.

EDIT: Also, I am not a fan the entire structure being vertical. I preferred to have the different sub-boards split in rows of 2.

I can understand the "soulless" feeling the new design gives off some, and fully agree that a move to full on verticality has got to be one of the worst parts of this (please let this be very temporary), but I'd mark it as an overall improvement so long as what makes actually reading it a pain is addressed. Old icons for subforums and the two-column layout for them is a must, Leaving it as it is makes extra effort where there was none prior and that would not be an improvement in the least, but I'm giving it time. So far, this is far better than any of the UI changes that were brought to the game itself lol 

3 hours ago, IvoryTiger said:

I second whoever suggested that the Developer Tracker replies should include the message they're replying to, makes following along much easier.

When reviewing the Developer Tracker, it becomes painfully obvious that the original message should be included. The Developer Track exists to consolidate messages from the devs for convivence, having to open the entire post appears to defeat that purpose. 

I third this suggestion. :jawa_angel:

• Dev Post
11 hours ago, Tiranea said:

Will old posts that were imported into the new software eventually be searchable? When you click on the post count under anyone's name, it only shows posts they made since the transition, and posts from before then currently also don't show up in forum search results.

There's still some processing happening in the background, so search is only pulling recent posts. Search should be fully functional once everything is complete. I don't have an exact timeline on when things will be 100% done, but compared to launch yesterday, we're moving along pretty well. 

5 hours ago, Sarova said:

Visually - is there a way to increase the entire forum font size or can that only be done through my personal PC settings?  That's the only other issue I have - the font is too small for me.

We're investigating the ability to customize font size as well as seeing what options we have for a "light mode". 

4 hours ago, Tiranea said:

Just got the error "Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today" when trying to like a post. 😅 I'm surprised there's a limit on these? But even if it's needed, 10 per day seems kind of low?

This goes back to the points and badge system which aren't enabled just yet. Those are a phase 2 initiative. Everything you do on the forums will grant you a number of points over time. Those in turn will allow you to obtain certain ranks/titles. While the goal is positive engagement, there is a possibility of farming these points hence why the threshold is in place. What would be a fair number allowed to you? 

1 hour ago, JakRoanin said:

Can we have step by step instructions for uploading our screenshots from STEAM?

This is not a functionality that exists. When we enable players to upload media, you will have to upload by the usual means. 

51 minutes ago, YaddleTwo said:

I don't always want people to know i'm online so if there was a privacy toggle for activity that'd be cool.

If you go into your Settings > Security & Privacy and use your SWTOR login or reauthenticate, you will see the option to hide your online status. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DakhathKilrathi said:

Okay so I see we've disabled video previews in signatures now. That's great, but my link originally was text that linked to the video and not just a pasted link so now you broke it. 

Thanks. 

I'd fix it myself, but apparently it would be too many lines now even though it wasn't before so ????? 

Edit: Removed line breaks but had to up text size to compensate so it wasn't all squished. This "fix" doesn't give me confidence that my guide will be fixed correctly though. 

Edit 2: Please for the love of god make hyperlinks some other color that's visually distinct. White and grey are very close and that's not great design.  For consistency it ought to be the same color as the breadcrumbs. 

Your signature journey made me laugh. I did like the giant video in there though.
I can't remember if this is new since yesterday... but you now have an "Expand signature" button! 
https://i.imgur.com/1VM3bBS.png
And so do I lol. It seems to not expand if you use 4 lines, regular size 14 font. So maybe scrunch yours in a bit so all your guides fit? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

There's still some processing happening in the background, so search is only pulling recent posts. Search should be fully functional once everything is complete. I don't have an exact timeline on when things will be 100% done, but compared to launch yesterday, we're moving along pretty well. 

We're investigating the ability to customize font size as well as seeing what options we have for a "light mode". 

This goes back to the points and badge system which aren't enabled just yet. Those are a phase 2 initiative. Everything you do on the forums will grant you a number of points over time. Those in turn will allow you to obtain certain ranks/titles. While the goal is positive engagement, there is a possibility of farming these points hence why the threshold is in place. What would be a fair number allowed to you? 

This is not a functionality that exists. When we enable players to upload media, you will have to upload by the usual means. 

If you go into your Settings > Security & Privacy and use your SWTOR login or reauthenticate, you will see the option to hide your online status. 

Thanks for the replies Jackie. 

Just looking for some clarification In regards to the "This goes back to the points and badge system which aren't enabled just yet. Those are a phase 2 initiative. Everything you do on the forums will grant you a number of points over time. Those in turn will allow you to obtain certain ranks/titles. While the goal is positive engagement, there is a possibility of farming these points hence why the threshold is in place. What would be a fair number allowed to you? "

Would those ranks and titles be in-game, on the forums or both? 

29 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

@JackieKo I'm not seeing Security & Privacy anywhere under forum settings. I see...

• overview (which includes such things as notification settings, edit profile, and the ignored users list)
  • recent devices
  • content view behavior
  • signature, and
  • "SWTOR" (which just tells me what account is logged in).
  • I also see icons indicating settings for notifications and messaging.

I did also check my account settings on the main site and did not find any new privacy functions.

It is still possible that I'm just missing it, but if there is a Security & Privacy section available, it is not obvious.

EDIT: And shortly after I posted this, while refreshing Account Settings, the Security and Privacy section appeared between 'overview' and 'devices.' Thanks. :)

Edited by Crystal_Mind
updated information

9 minutes ago, Crystal_Mind said:

@JackieKo I'm not seeing Security & Privacy anywhere under forum settings. I see...

• overview (which includes such things as notification settings, edit profile, and the ignored users list)
  • recent devices
  • content view behavior
  • signature, and
  • "SWTOR" (which just tells me what account is logged in).
  • I also see icons indicating settings for notifications and messaging.

I did also check my account settings on the main site and did not find any new privacy functions.

It is still possible that I'm just missing it, but if there is a Security & Privacy section available, it is not obvious.

It should be there now in Settings

Edited by Andertyne
Adding direct link

47 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

While the goal is positive engagement, there is a possibility of farming these points hence why the threshold is in place. What would be a fair number allowed to you?

Thanks a lot for replying, Jackie! It's a shame that this is needed to prevent abuse, as I find the idea of any social media platform telling you "whoops, no more likes for you today" quite bizarre, but if that's how it has to be... personally I'm thinking the allocation should at least be doubled to 20.

49 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Ever since I switched to STEAM I haven't been able to use the usual means. 😪

Steam screenshots should be stored locally on your machine. From the screenshot viewer, there should be a "Show on disk" option, which will take you to the location of the screenshots on your machine, which you can then upload normally. I think they're technically available on the web as well if you publish them and set to public, so you could probably just link them here as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Dev Post
37 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Ever since I switched to STEAM I haven't been able to use the usual means. 😪

Sorry, I'm not understanding entirely. There wasn't a direct or easy path for anyone to upload images to the previous forums, so the functionality didn't exist for anyone. Can you clarify what you mean? 

38 minutes ago, RuneJS said:

Thanks for the replies Jackie. 

Just looking for some clarification In regards to the "This goes back to the points and badge system which aren't enabled just yet. Those are a phase 2 initiative. Everything you do on the forums will grant you a number of points over time. Those in turn will allow you to obtain certain ranks/titles. While the goal is positive engagement, there is a possibility of farming these points hence why the threshold is in place. What would be a fair number allowed to you? "

Would those ranks and titles be in-game, on the forums or both? 

For the forums only. But who knows what the future will hold! 

A few notes to everyone: 

• You should now be able to delete your own posts
  • The snapshots of posts that are published in the dev tracker can only show unique text, so quotes and hyperlinks will not show up. This is tied to how the Search function works to build the Search index. You will have to click on the post itself to see it in its entirety. I know this is not ideal, but let me know how you all feel about this adjustment. 
  • There is something unusual happening with Condensed Mode on the dev tracker and the team is looking into it. 
  • Regarding the feedback about the ability to adjust font size and having the ability to switch to a lighter background, those are things we will be investigating. Will share details when I can. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, JackieKo said:

Sorry, I'm not understanding entirely. There wasn't a direct or easy path for anyone to upload images to the previous forums, so the functionality didn't exist for anyone. Can you clarify what you mean? 

For the forums only. But who knows what the future will hold! 

A few notes to everyone: 

• You should now be able to delete your own posts
  • The snapshots of posts that are published in the dev tracker can only show unique text, so quotes and hyperlinks will not show up. This is tied to how the Search function works to build the Search index. You will have to click on the post itself to see it in its entirety. I know this is not ideal, but let me know how you all feel about this adjustment. 
  • There is something unusual happening with Condensed Mode on the dev tracker and the team is looking into it. 
  • Regarding the feedback about the ability to adjust font size and having the ability to switch to a lighter background, those are things we will be investigating. Will share details when I can. 

Thanks! 

Thanks for the reply. 

Great news on the ability to delete our own posts. I would give you a like but I'm at the cap already. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LadyAdmiral said:

Your signature journey made me laugh. I did like the giant video in there though.
I can't remember if this is new since yesterday... but you now have an "Expand signature" button! 
https://i.imgur.com/1VM3bBS.png
And so do I lol. It seems to not expand if you use 4 lines, regular size 14 font. So maybe scrunch yours in a bit so all your guides fit? 

Oh lol that wasn't there earlier. I was really hoping to avoid that as it looks a lot worse that way but yeah it looks like I'll need to. Appreciate the heads up. 

Edit: Nah, that doesn't fix it. You only get to see two lines now I guess, even if you bump the size all the way down to 12. That's beyond irritating. Why allow four if we can only see two? 

Edit 2: I can see three lines now. Still not four. Still don't know why. I've just reordered it so the guide and community links are first. 

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Looks good. Renders great on mobile. I suppose some choice in theme and color scheme would be nice but it's not a dealbreaker. The rate limiter on reactions was a surprise, but tolerable if as you say it helps moderate gaming or exploiting your rewards program.

I also see that your warning system is fully operational. :jawa_angel:

Could you guys add some background pictures for our profiles? I see a big generic image at the top. I'm sure you won't let use upload custom images, but you have a lot of backgrounds from wallpapers and stuff you could let us choose from. Or if there is a way to change this and I'm not seeing it, let me know thanks. :jawa_biggrin:

• Like 3

Just wanted to add in that the new server forums requires a password of between 8 and 16 characters, and otherwise will not allow you to log into the forums.  I had to change my password (which is annoying, but I'm not exactly screeching in rage about it) in order to post here but was still able to login to the main part of the website and the game.  Not sure WHY this is a thing, but in case anyone else is having difficulties, you may also need to change your password to fit the character limit.

dev tracker is useless in the new forum system

only shows first 3 lines of a gold post, the rest is truncated

and on top of that you can't load more dev posts in the dev tracker. you only see the most recent 20 or whatever it is (edit: I counted 17 lastest dev tracker posts)

devtracker is completely broken in the new forum. we can't see dev posts in full or load older dev posts in the dev tracker

my view: https://i.imgur.com/AromNRr.png
take neat full page screenshots like that with Vivaldi browser. File menu > Tools > Capture > Page to File or Page to Clipboard

Edited by Falensawino
count

can you give the option to edit in plain text, like looking at html or forum markup codes. 

this new easy preview system doesn't allow for full range of forum posting as we could when we were able to edit in plain text like looking at forum bb code markup. The new simplified system is a huge restriction

for example I want to inspect what color someone used in their post, previously I could quote and see the markup codes used and colors. now its just an inline preview and its all hidden behind an easy to use system facade

Edited by Falensawino
  • Like 1