The New Forums are here!

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hi everyone! 

The new Forums are here! Please have a look around and get acquainted with the new look and features, and let us know what you think in this thread. 

Important notes: 

There is still some processing happening on the back end that impacts older posts not being formatted properly, your profile image not carrying over yet, and the dev tracker not being updated. We anticipate that this process will be completed tomorrow and everything to be in working order. 

We want to keep an eye on everything that is being updated right now and have the ability to troubleshoot and test as needed. Features such as using tags and uploading media are currently disabled. I will let you know when we enable these features.  

If you have swtor.com/community bookmarked, you should be directed to the new Forums. If you aren't let us know! 

You’ll notice that quite a few pinned posts were unpinned primarily because they were outdated or reiterated the same guidelines. Note that the Forum Guidelines are all encompassing and enforced for all sub-forums.  

I also want to reiterate that I want you all to feel a part of this space, so I’ll be keeping an eye on the feedback coming in. If there’s a sub-forum that might be better moved somewhere else or if a description needs to be added or clarified, please let me know. 

As I mentioned in the new Forums announcement, we are rolling out the Forums in phases. We are currently in Phase 1, and when we are ready to deploy Phase 2, you will see aesthetic updates to the Forums in terms of icons, and utilizing ranks and badges. So there is more to come!  

We appreciate your patience as we got everything migrated over, tested, and set up. This was certainly a large team effort and I look forward to seeing what you all think of the new Forums. 

Jackie  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

New forums are looking great! The new UI will take some getting used to but it already feels like a worthy replacement. Not yet sure how I feel about the reactions and images; I fear the forums will end up with nothing but meme posts but we'll see. I'm a little disappointed that you didn't choose a SWTOR branding for the reactions though; it's just generic smilies. I am happy you kept the old emotes though (sadly, they're at the end of the list). :jawa_frown:

Looks like my avatar carried over correctly but I can't see a way to set my signature - have signatures been removed? Other than that, I am able to see the moderator's notes on forum infractions, while on the old forums, these were marked as hidden; you may wanna remove those.

I hate that the editor cannot switch to a "raw code" view. When writing longer guides with complicated formatting, it is usually easier to write BBCode/Markdown than fiddling with the WYSIWYG buttons but we'll see.

Thanks to the team for the new forums!

• Like 2

Looks like signatures are working now, thanks!

A few more bugs:

Edited by Jerba
Edits have been enabled!

Small UI issue discovered.

In your Profile under Manage Followed Content, with the Members I Follow--when you set the anonymous option, the little icon that comes up after to indicate you're anonymously following the person is hard to see. There's no real definition around the icon.

• Dev Post
43 minutes ago, Jerba said:

Looks like signatures are working now, thanks!

A few more bugs:

Hey @Jerba I'm on the web team working on the forum conversion. We've fixed the empty German forum categories. BBCode on older posts is one of those background tasks that Jackie mentions in her post, newer posts get updated first, so the older the post is the longer it will be before it gets converted. And you should be able to edit your posts now, there was a 5 minute rule in place that I've removed.

We had some permissions wonkiness with avatars that should be sorted out now. Taking notes on the other things and we'll see what we can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Dev Post
8 minutes ago, Sefeki said:

Oh, Jackie, apparently the link from swtor.com under the Community tab still links to the old forums, not the new one.

It should be updated now! We're slowly rolling things out, and that was one of the most recent updates in the last few minutes. 😄

• Like 3

Seems to be working just fine, though I would like my Hutt avatar to appear!

I tested the "edit" feature by correcting a typo from a post earlier in the week. That works fine too and I like the fact you update when posts are edited.

• Dev Post
4 minutes ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

The Dev Tracker is only showing the last two dev posts (both from this thread).  Can it be fixed to again show all dev posts?

I call this out under Important Notes in my OP. We anticipate that this should be working properly tomorrow! 

Hi @JackieKo
Thanks for the post.

We appreciate the teams work on the forums. Modernisation is absolutely vital for keeping games like SWTOR relevant and connected with the development team. 
I am looking forward to the second phase of the roll-out. Do we have an ETA on that phase? 

Regarding aesthetics, I would be interested to see what Bioware posts would look like in the same text colour as "Home > English > General Discussion" on the top and bottom bars. It is possible that a wall of text that colour might not look as good however the current Bioware shade of yellow does not fit with the colour scheme of the forums and is quite jarring. A slight tint to the same colour as the comment box might be required? On this issue, I am not 100% what I think is the right answer but I'm set on the current yellow feeling out of place. 

I'm not sure if this has been considered, many guilds use the forums as a place to recruit or promote their activity. If it remains possible to rate posts, wouldn't that present the possibility of competing guild's deliberately bombing recruitment posts to inflict damage. Additionally, it might become difficult to tell whether posts have been rated by another user because of the quality of their contribution to the forums, or whether they simply disagree with their opinion on a topic. 

The 'like' and 'reputation' systems are fantastic additions. MMOs are player driven communities, it's brilliant to see a 'reward' system for an individuals' contribution. I would suggest that the 'like' system replaces the community score rating for the entire post? I don't suggest this with confidence however I believe it could eliminate the risk of targeted bombing between guilds or intentional indirect harassment. 

I have tested the forums on my phone and another device and I have had no problems with the UI or the forums layout. 

Thanks, 

Jem

Edited by RuneJS
Removing spaces

47 minutes ago, Exly said:

Is there a way to customize the background color?  It is to bright for me and is causing me to strain my eyes when trying to read the text.  More contrast between the background and text colors would help.

I concur. Looking at my Republic Pilot Dossiers thread, the dark text blends all too well with the background, making it more difficult to read.