The gearing progression design is absurd, and 95% of game content is now obsolete

Elvarania

I'm not going to twist your words and I comprehend the meaning of your post perfectly. Hopefully, you will extend me the same courtesy.

I neither need nor desire your input on how I should have fun in a video game or what my in-game goals should be. I don't agree with the entirety of the OP's point, but I sympathize with much of it. S/he has been afforded the privilege to express that opinion, which s/he did in a very polite, coherent, and well-written way.

It's one thing to disagree, which you obviously do on substance; it's another thing entirely to say, which in effect you have, "this is how you should have fun and these should (or should not) be your in-game goals." It's a bit patronizing.

Regards,

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Agreed !!!!!

If I may add (without offense to Dasty):

There are almost as many different styles of playing this game as there are personalities. Each of us with different goals (to a degree of sorts). Many are passionate about the game and what they expect to see in THIS MMO. (Nothing wrong with that). As for what each of us NEED ?? Really?? I would suppose as soon as I pay someone's sub for them, I would begin to have a vested interest in the matter. Until then... probably not!

I do respectfully disagree with OP that 95% is obsolete. I DO believe that we're rehashing too much of the older content and simultaneously restricting objective material that a LOT of players can use. The current gearing system still leaves a lot to be desired. Today for example ... after 3 hours of an assortment of "dailies" and "heroics" .. a LARGE number of 320 stuff all on a character with a rating of 323 !!! Only ONE 322 (which I put back for my other characters) . IMO .. that's just a bit ridiculous. (IMO .. Ossus all over again).

[/facepalm]

ALSO: There seems to be something of a misconception that "solo" players only want cut-scenes and watching another "Star Wars Story" ... while breezing through the content (almost blindfolded). IMO this is position is also incorrect.

Lastly: No, I do NOT expect those who are looking for the higher difficulty levels to wait for years on end without having the kind of "area" that they need in order to be a part of the game.

Perhaps the real misguided idea is that there is only room for one style (solo) or the other (group high difficulty areas) only. The simple fact is that we need all of it!

** PvP

** PvE

** Solo (with multiple levels of difficulty)

** Raid groups

** OP's

My personal thoughts are that the game has been perhaps neglected in so many areas for entirely too long.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying BiS gear with creds is a fantastic idea. EVERYONE would buy it so it would be a wonderful credit sink. Everyone wins. At that point, anything you do will come down to skill at the highest levels. If you can't do it still, you could still buy a sale run from the top players. Though i don't know why they even do sales runs anymore. They're already maxed out on credits, unless they're selling them to the credit sellers, which would be a ToS violation. oh, snap! i wonder how many of them do that?

I would definitely buy the BiS set for my main classes, just so I'd finallly get to play the content I enjoy. The problem is we can only buy it from the sale runners, and I don't want to support that bunch of toxic trolls let alone the credit selling business they are financing.

In 7.0 it was 326 for the masses and 330 for the elite, an increase of 4 item levels. Now it's 330 for the masses and 340 for the elite, an increase of 10 item levels. It's a bit too large of a jump to have exclusive to hardcore raiding. The cap should be 334. This would also match the legendaries which only go to 334 because you know players with 340 are going to want their legendaries at 340 as well.

So, than let me say this as polite as I can. If you don't care, than don't argue or "pointing out". If it makes no difference to you, be happy and stay quiet BECAUSE you don't have any clue what others NEED.

And thats because you don't have the slightest idea what others/I were playing BEFORE 7.o and its gear disaster and what they play now. You have no clue what HM content need which gear now, because you don't play it.

Well, you don't need the gear. You want the gear. that's the difference. I have a clue what HM content need as I actually did most of the Nightmares. And HM content doesn't need 340 unless you aim at the R-4 which, technically, doesn't need it either.

Truthfully it doesn't matter at all that people can go to 339 iRating cuz 340 is impossible. The content hasn't been adjusted, you can get the gear easier now and have more options, more stats and everything.

"I need to buy 340 gear so I can play the content I enjoy" but you can already do that. If you couldn't then why would you buy it? 340 is only needed if you do R-4 HM, and not even there honestly, so if that is the content you like to do you can already do it, you wouldn't need to buy the gear first. If you do literally anything else, not only will the gear just not be an upgrade, you also just don't need it. How do I know if you need it? If you really would need it you would get it, you know the way, you know what to do, there are guides, videos everything on the internet. Truth is that you CAN get the gear, but you know very well it's not worth it, and it's honestly not. I just have 339 because it happened to drop from the content I enjoy, but I also enjoy most parts of the game so that will always be the case for me. But if I'd be PvPing I wouldn't bother at all going for 330 or 340, 328 is the max for PvP, it's were it's capped, it's the gear you want for PvP.

If you are madge that you have no option but to walk around in greens, maybe start doing group content, this is a MMO afterall. How boring would it be to defeat Brontes alone? It's only cool because you need a team and because you cannot do it alone, you cannot win (most) arenas alone, you need your team too. Needing the team is what qualifies the gear to be a higher iRating then that of solo players. You might not like it, but why do you care? If you wipe to heroics in 320, you wipe to heroics in 330.

Edited by ZUHFB

Well, you don't need the gear. You want the gear. that's the difference. I have a clue what HM content need as I actually did most of the Nightmares. And HM content doesn't need 340 unless you aim at the R-4 which, technically, doesn't need it either.

You're wrong about both.

I don't want BiS Gear because a) to play one thing over and over again its a bit too braindead for me b) my raid team which played the harder stuff left the game, so I would have too little use for that. I do occasionally some HM but mostly in 330 and its fine for me.

But in my former raid team(s) the better players could carry and help the weaker ones, this helped us all to grow & improve. Without BiS Gear (and pruned classes, no more viable classes etc) this was no longer the case. First this players left - and than the rest.

So if you can do a HM OP alone or only with players that are as skilled as you or better your argument may be valid - in all others cases it's not.

Edited by Xhuuyaa

Truthfully it doesn't matter at all that people can go to 339 iRating cuz 340 is impossible. The content hasn't been adjusted, you can get the gear easier now and have more options, more stats and everything.

"I need to buy 340 gear so I can play the content I enjoy" but you can already do that. If you couldn't then why would you buy it? 340 is only needed if you do R-4 HM, and not even there honestly, so if that is the content you like to do you can already do it, you wouldn't need to buy the gear first. If you do literally anything else, not only will the gear just not be an upgrade, you also just don't need it. How do I know if you need it? If you really would need it you would get it, you know the way, you know what to do, there are guides, videos everything on the internet. Truth is that you CAN get the gear, but you know very well it's not worth it, and it's honestly not. I just have 339 because it happened to drop from the content I enjoy, but I also enjoy most parts of the game so that will always be the case for me. But if I'd be PvPing I wouldn't bother at all going for 330 or 340, 328 is the max for PvP, it's were it's capped, it's the gear you want for PvP.

If you are madge that you have no option but to walk around in greens, maybe start doing group content, this is a MMO afterall. How boring would it be to defeat Brontes alone? It's only cool because you need a team and because you cannot do it alone, you cannot win (most) arenas alone, you need your team too. Needing the team is what qualifies the gear to be a higher iRating then that of solo players. You might not like it, but why do you care? If you wipe to heroics in 320, you wipe to heroics in 330.

You and I haven't interacted much on the forums, mostly because I spend my time in ESO, but (and it's a big Hutt-sized butt metaphorically speaking)...

Your constant use in virtually every post of casting your views as truth, fact, and need is grating. Those are actually just opinions. As I said to JediQuaker, and I will reiterate to you...

You don't get to decide how I have fun in a video game. I neither need nor desire your anonymous internet psychoanalysis. I understand fully your view. It's the same in every post: You are the best player, git gud, do the content Bioware wants you to do to gear up, etc.

Just know that your definitions of "truth, fact, and need" are very different from mine. As a sentient Hutt, I'm allowed to disagree with you. The difference is...on substance, I don't cast my views as fact or truth -- simply my opinion. How you define "want vs. need" is immaterial to me. I would go further with respect to details, but it would make no difference -- we are not going to agree (which is fine by the way). Regardless, the tenor of your posts suggests a remarkable degree of not just intransigence but arrogance.

:csw_jabba: <<sips Mimosa for Sunday brunch>>

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

You and I haven't interacted much on the forums, mostly because I spend my time in ESO, but (and it's a big Hutt-sized butt metaphorically speaking)...

Your constant use in virtually every post of casting your views as truth, fact, and need are grating. Those are actually just opinions. As I said to JediQuaker, and I will reiterate to you...

You don't get to decide how I have fun in a video game. I neither need nor desire your anonymous internet psychoanalysis. I understand fully your view. It's the same in every post: You are the best player, git gud, do the content Bioware wants you to do to gear up, etc.

Just know that how you define "truth, fact, and need" are very different from mine. As a sentient Hutt, I'm allowed to disagree with you. The difference is...on substance, I don't cast my views as fact or truth -- simply my opinion. How you define "want vs. need" is immaterial to me. I would go further with respect to details, but it would make no difference -- we are not going to agree (which is fine by the way). Regardless, the tenor of your posts suggests a remarkable degree of not just intransigence but arrogance.

Dasty

Booyah, Dasty! You tell 'em, bro.

I do admire the way you can tell someone to Foxtrot Oscar in such a calm, polite way :)

Your constant use in virtually every post of casting your views as truth, fact, and need are grating. Those are actually just opinions. As I said to JediQuaker, and I will reiterate to you...

Yes, I voice my opinions and you yours.

Obviously you don't need 340 for R-4 because you literally cannot have it before doing it. It's not my opinion it's just how the game is at the moment. If you want 340 gear, do R-4 HM. If you cannot do it, or don't want to - that's ok, many people don't but then you have to accept that you cannot get the Kanoth mount for example, how is gear any different at this point?

Just know that how you define "truth, fact, and need" are very different from mine. As a sentient Hutt, I'm allowed to disagree with you. The difference is...on substance, I don't cast my views as fact or truth -- simply my opinion. How you define "want vs. need" is immaterial to me. I would go further with respect to details, but it would make no difference -- we are not going to agree (which is fine by the way). Regardless, the tenor of your posts suggests a remarkable degree of not just intransigence but arrogance.

Want vs. need is not an opinion. You needed 330 + gold augs to survive nahut railguns, there was no other way. I can probably do heroics with a gearscore of 0, at the point I can do it it is factually in the "wanting" section.

All of this gear is just mad cuz bad. I am sorry but there is nothing more to this. I don't get it, people think that if you have 330 NiM content just falls over and if you have "only" 326 you wipe eternally.

Gear - doesn't - matter - at - all.

Want vs. need is not an opinion. You needed 330 + gold augs to survive nahut railguns, there was no other way. I can probably do heroics with a gearscore of 0, at the point I can do it it is factually in the "wanting" section.

Do you need to do Nahut, or do you want to?

The truth is It's a game, and It's all about want.

Edited by Exly

Do you need to do Nahut, or do you want to?

The truth is It's a game, and It's all about want.

You needed gear if you wanted to do nahut.

You do not need gear if you want to do FPs, heroics, conquest - or anything else.

Doesn't mean you should not be able to get it though, I am all for equal ground and everybody having the same gear, but this is also fair. You get the appropriate gear from the content you enjoy.

Dasty

Thanks Dasty!

You do not need gear if you want to do FPs, heroics, conquest - or anything else.

Doesn't mean you should not be able to get it though, I am all for equal ground and everybody having the same gear, but this is also fair. You get the appropriate gear from the content you enjoy.

It's a game. Unless you need to play it for some reason like you work for BioWare, anything you do in the game is about doing or getting what you want.

I am glad that you are for everyone having equal gear. I just wish the devs would want the same.

Also, some people are less skilled and might benefit from better gear even when doing flashpoints, heroics, or anything else. I would like them to have whatever they want or need to help them enjoy the game.

Edited by Exly

You do not need gear if you want to do FPs, heroics, conquest - or anything else..

We've heard you repeatedly insist that you (and other raiders) are the only ones who should get "the best". However, the more you say it, the more you sound like Gollum clutching the One Ring and saying "MINE!".

If gear doesn't matter then:

A. Remove gear from the game and make it cosmetic only, or

B. Make it so that EVERYONE can obtain it easily, regardless of the content they play

Gear exists to give people something to chase for. Everyone wants gear. Need will vary depending on the person, what they are doing, and who they are doing it with and what those people are capable of. Need is highly variable, not based solely on what you are doing. Some people can get away with less than the best. That's great for them. Others need higher gear to get the same thing done, that's most people. So gear should not be locked behind something most people can't do. Everyone should have a reasonable chance of gettting it.

We've heard you repeatedly insist that you (and other raiders) are the only ones who should get "the best". However, the more you say it, the more you sound like Gollum clutching the One Ring and saying "MINE!".

:D:D:D:D:D:D That's both hilarious and true. Gear might not make a player "get good" but it helps the rest of us play more comfortably.

:D:D:D:D:D:D That's both hilarious and true. Gear might not make a player "get good" but it helps the rest of us play more comfortably.

Yeah, and this is were you are wrong. Gear isn't going to do anything. The damage difference is so minor that you still use the exact same amount of GCDs for 95% of enemies.

Let's use CZ as an example, there are two enemies with a high amount of HP. Gear would ONLY help you on those two and it would, at the very best, make a 10min CZ into a 9:45.

It's not the lack of gear that makes the game bad for many of you, it's the scaling of presence that does.

Yeah, and this is were you are wrong. Gear isn't going to do anything. The damage difference is so minor that you still use the exact same amount of GCDs for 95% of enemies.

A few posts earlier you said 330 gear and gold augments are needed to survive Nahut railguns. Now it doesn't matter anymore? Make up your mind.

A few posts earlier you said 330 gear and gold augments are needed to survive Nahut railguns. Now it doesn't matter anymore? Make up your mind.

Ok, dude. I even specified gear won't change the amount of GCDs you need to kill trash mobs, which is 95% of the game with the example of CZ were there are two enemies in a daily run that could have the amount of GCDs changed because they just have that much HP that the extra damage doesn't go into overkill.

Obviously this is different for bossfights. And yes, in the nahut scenario you needed the gear, there was no other way for operative heals to survive on their own, this patch has changed it since they drastically reduced not only the HP but also the damage all bosses deal. Furthermore in the nahut scenario I used past tense! I never said gear IS needed to survive, I said that gear WAS needed, or at least that's what I meant to say, not my first language.

Edited by ZUHFB

Ok, dude. I even specified gear won't change the amount of GCDs you need to kill trash mobs, which is 95% of the game with the example of CZ were there are two enemies in a daily run that could have the amount of GCDs changed because they just have that much HP that the extra damage doesn't go into overkill.

Obviously this is different for bossfights. And yes, in the nahut scenario you needed the gear, there was no other way for operative heals to survive on their own, this patch has changed it since they drastically reduced not only the HP but also the damage all bosses deal. Furthermore in the nahut scenario I used past tense! I never said gear IS needed to survive, I said that gear WAS needed, or at least that's what I meant to say, not my first language.

There you go again. You take CZ an example why no-one else except you "needs" good gear. You assume people need good gear for CZ and that's the only content they do in game because that's what people like you do. Still that has nothing to do with what I said.

First you say gear is needed to beat certain bosses. Whether it was 7.0 or 7.1 does not make any difference. Fact is you didn't beat Nahut without BiS gear. And yet at the same time you are telling everyone else that gear doesn't matter, they don't need the gear. As long as we are talking about your gear it matters, but for everyone else it doesn't.

Truth is some people do need the gear, some just want it. Thing is, we all pay the same sub, so gear should be accessible for everyone one who wants it.

But then there are the likes of you, who can't tolerate the idea of people who are not on your "level" would get access to gear that might help them down some more difficult bosses. Are you guys really that insecure about yourself and your awesomeness that you feel threatened by someone less skilled getting good gear too? Or is just about money? More people with good gear = less income from sale runs.

Maybe some translation is needed here. When someone says "you don't need the best gear" - that simply translates as:

"The typical PvE player does not 'require' the best gear to play most content"

It does not translate to "only raiders should get the best gear"

There's some sort of phycological mind twist going on here. Perhaps 'projection' or whatever. In any case it's obvious that continuing to discuss it is a waste of time. 🙄

I find it funny that People would use CZ as a baseline because the only time I ever wipe there is when I try to watch a Chinese or Korean drama at the same time, because I forgot the fight in the subtitles. :D

Truthfully, I don't wipe often. I do get tired. Having the BiS gear in 6.0 helped that immensely.