How to PVP as a Jedi Guardian in defense spec.

Dragonexadon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i was a huge fan of Tank PVP up until i realized a few problems, if you really want to understand how Tank PVP works and why Shield rating/Defense rating is useless in PVP, i suggest you read this post. Yes it is a long post, but it will save you a lot of pain, once you get against a pro premade team who knows their most effective build, you as a tank are in real trouble.

Don't let the title fool you, it's about tanking problems.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155034

I truly enjoy tanking PVP, i really do, but once i knew why i died so fast in warzones even with my friend who is a really good healer, it changed my perspectives as a whole, and specced for dps.

Cheers

P.S. My tanking gear is pretty good, above 120 rating in average.

Don't flame, just read the post and you will understand what i'm talking about :)

Edited by Nightthunder

Guide is correct. All you'll achieve though is that your HP get melted by guarding people that are too stupid to walk out of AoEs and/or LoS when being focused with then being yelled at by some healer because "you drop so fast and omgwtfbbq what are you even doing in a tank spec in PvP, go PvE."

I gave it up since I tried my Shadow in PvP yesterday for the first time, just melting HP bars, still getting Protection Badges for taunting and not dropping much faster than my so called tank. It's not rewarding. Unfortunately.

Agreed, I never get MVP votes. People often shout out in our Team Speak server

"I got highest heals!"

"I got highest damage!"

when I say

"I was highest protection!"

they all laugh...ugh :p

Don't feel bad, there are those who care. I know healers that won't go into warzones without a tank to protect them.

Force Leap is an interupt as well.

Only if you buy Force Clap (I have no idea why anyone wouldn't, but...)

Guide is correct. All you'll achieve though is that your HP get melted by guarding people that are too stupid to walk out of AoEs and/or LoS when being focused with then being yelled at by some healer because "you drop so fast and omgwtfbbq what are you even doing in a tank spec in PvP, go PvE."

I gave it up since I tried my Shadow in PvP yesterday for the first time, just melting HP bars, still getting Protection Badges for taunting and not dropping much faster than my so called tank. It's not rewarding. Unfortunately.

Yeah, I find it sad that they don't make the protection badges just for tanks. It makes it very hard to keep this defense spec while watching DPS classes getting all of our badges plus their own DPS badges.

I am sure healers feel the same way that anyone can get healer badges just by carrying around those reusable healing biochem things.

I still believe the guide works well if you have an organized group...but I agree with you...when you go with pugs it fails pretty fast.

Glad everyone seems to like the guide still. I will try to keep updating it with different tips I hear.

Don't feel bad, there are those who care. I know healers that won't go into warzones without a tank to protect them.

Only if you buy Force Clap (I have no idea why anyone wouldn't, but...)

Thats not true, Force Leap innately interrupts. Its in the tool tip or you could test it if thats not good enough.

The real problem wit Defense spec right now in PvP is, are those survivability talents reducing anyones damage that much besides your own. You can guard as any spec as a guardian.

Outside of CDs I dont really notice a huge difference in survivability with one of the DPS specs. I do however notice a large difference in the amount of damage I can put out.

Protection is much less about spec than it is execution. The only talent that will directly increase your ability to get protection points is Command. So you can get just about as much protection with any spec as you can a heavy defense spec.

The only caveat is that you can get protection points while you are dead so the survivability in Defense could indirectly help your ability to protect by keeping you alive. The still doesnt mean that the small upgrade in survivability is more advantageous than the damage you give up.

I think A high DPS spec in soresu form has the most upside of any guardian, but it might not be best for every situation.

Yeah, I find it sad that they don't make the protection badges just for tanks. It makes it very hard to keep this defense spec while watching DPS classes getting all of our badges plus their own DPS badges.

I am sure healers feel the same way that anyone can get healer badges just by carrying around those reusable healing biochem things.

I still believe the guide works well if you have an organized group ...but I agree with you...when you go with pugs it fails pretty fast.

Glad everyone seems to like the guide still. I will try to keep updating it with different tips I hear.

bold part... Is right when it's your premade vs pug. Has your group face another competent group? like a 4 person group made of: 2 melee operative, healing sorcerer and a powertech?

here what happen: The 2 operative jump on the guardian melting him in a sec. At the same time, the powertech just pull your healer away and cc / interupt him with the sorcerer would the tank not be dead in time... Which is quite rare. The guardian might trinket the knockback and pop every single cds to survive (I have yet to see that) but that won't be the case on second turn...

situation? you barely enter battle and it is now a 3 vs 4.. In a few second, you tank was destroy. your dps probably barely touch the enemy. Your healer is without guard and your group doesn't have taunts nor guardian leap to help WHILE the opposite team has the a full group.

The worse? You can also do the oppossite. Just pull the tank with the grapple, wait 3 sec (the grapple immobilize you which stop you from leaping) then stun while the 2 operative play with your healer. that methode is just less safe as guardian might trinket and leap in a probably futile attempt to save his guarded target.

Great great joy for being a tank with little damage and also little protection!

Pvp where the first to open win because of several high burst /high arm pen dominating class with bilions reusable consumable is kind of boring.

bold part... Is right when it's your premade vs pug. Has your group face another competent group? like a 4 person group made of: 2 melee operative, healing sorcerer and a powertech?

here what happen: The 2 operative jump on the guardian melting him in a sec. At the same time, the powertech just pull your healer away and cc / interupt him with the sorcerer would the tank not be dead in time... Which is quite rare. The guardian might trinket the knockback and pop every single cds to survive (I have yet to see that) but that won't be the case on second turn...

situation? you barely enter battle and it is now a 3 vs 4.. In a few second, you tank was destroy. your dps probably barely touch the enemy. Your healer is without guard and your group doesn't have taunts nor guardian leap to help WHILE the opposite team has the a full group.

The worse? You can also do the oppossite. Just pull the tank with the grapple, wait 3 sec (the grapple immobilize you which stop you from leaping) then stun while the 2 operative play with your healer. that methode is just less safe as guardian might trinket and leap in a probably futile attempt to save his guarded target.

Great great joy for being a tank with little damage and also little protection!

Pvp where the first to open win because of several high burst /high arm pen dominating class with bilions reusable consumable is kind of boring.

I've come across this as a tank, and let me tell you, its not fun at all when you don't even stand a chance. It makes me feel like I'm playing a Battlefield game and the opp. has machine guns and I'm equipped with a knife.

you know this is all nice and such but unfortunately protection gear is worthless in pvp and apart from that the only thing that differs you from a dps guardian is soresu (which run a lot of dps guards, too), stun, non channel stasis, 1 oh shoot button and that's it. People would start guarding if they felt tanky ...atm you just feel 15% overall not squisiher compared to shien stance,.

win win win win win. i have a lvl 42 slinger who is a blast in pvp but not i am more excited to play my guardian after reading this. seems like the most amazing thing in pvp since sliced bread. are guardians good ball handlers? if not i assume they are great for making sure who ever is a good ball handler doesnt die

I was wondering if anyone have defensive LVL 30 PVP spec that both works in open world PvP (often 1vs1 or 2vs2) and for PvE instances pre lvl 50.

What stats should I priorities as defensive PvP tank?

Accuracy > Armor > End > Shield > Str ?

Any and all tips are welcome. :)

The shield tree doesn't provide enough damage to be viable by itself, currently. Since 75% of your tanking viability is wrapped up into things outside of the shield tree -- stay in soresu form, and plop your points into a dps tree. You won't regret it in pvp or pve.

Could you perhaps share this soresu DPS build? How would you proceed from lvl 30, to still be viable tank PvE?

Edited by SimonUH

Not sure if it's been said before (and if I'm right), but I believe Force Leap always interrupts casting, not when specifically spec'ed into it. This adds a stun component to it, but it's not needed for interrupting opponent's casting.

Personally I actually skip the stun on Force Leap since it's an extra Resolve increaser in PvP (don't want an cc immune target if possible). The 2s it last are over way too quick as well, and I cannot use any of my PvE stun proc'ed skills anyway. I use my Force Leap to close gaps, interrupt casting and don't need a stun component for it to do it's job. All in all, I'd rather spend the point in something else.

Now if it stunned for like 5s or so, that might be a different story. :p Then again, Defense Guardians already have quite a lot of survivability and interrupts/short duration CC. ^^

A Jedi Guardian , who is speced in defense, should only care about one statistic:

PROTECTION!

I'm not defense specced, but you still get soresu.

I got do NOT like huttball but my friend wanted to stay, so I went "protector"for a game.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/Stevesetoe/Screenshot_2012-01-15_14_22_08_955136.jpg

You really don't need to be defense specced to do that either.

I got do NOT like huttball but my friend wanted to stay, so I went "protector"for a game.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/Stevesetoe/Screenshot_2012-01-15_14_22_08_955136.jpg

Guarding someone in a hazard means nothing. Its not possible to get 419,303 protection points if the other team only does 464,858 damage. Even if you guarded and challenged every bit of outgoing damage you would only have 371,886 protection.

You guarded a healer while they stood in the acid. Grats

Im guessing it was divonex.

Edited by Idockdudes

That would actually explain his healing done aswell.

And here I thought i did well.

We were up 5-0 with 11 minutes to go and decided to just keep the ball between us in mid, throwing it on the ground before it exploded.

Him standing in a hazard would make sense. I never really took notice. I saw his name popup a lot when he was healing me and decided to guard him.

Post some specs or G-T-F-O!

Let me rephrase that. Would someone be some kind to add:

- Spec tree, lvl 30 / 40 / 50

- Stats prioritization

For a good setup that focus on PvP but also works good for tanking levling/instances up to 50.

Thank you, and may the power be on your side.

Edited by SimonUH

Page not found, but I agree you don't need to be defense specced. But if you are defense speced it should be your primary focus IMHO.