How to PVP as a Jedi Guardian in defense spec.

Dragonexadon

FYI The resolve/stun on leap has been removed on the PTS.

I pvp in full defense/soresu, and it basically does suck. However, I go after objectives and generally make a huge pain of myself to the opposing team. I find it fun, though frustrating if there's no healers on my side because the guardian is the absolute worst when it comes to self sufficiency, and even worse when the other side has 5 healers because my dps is laughable.

On the plus side, I can hold a node/door long enough to call for help unless I get 3 people at once and even then, I can still hold them off for a few critical seconds. And if I get the ball in huttball, it's almost certainly coming with me to the opposing goal line.

Side note, I use 2 pieces for each of the war leader and vindicator set for the dual set bonuses, as I didnt think the single 4 piece set bonus of either one outweighed the combo. But your mileage may vary.

Bottom line, defense guardian is one of the worst classes in pvp, except in huttball. I am usually at the top of my team on the scoreboard for all that's worth (nothing), but I have to work way harder for it on my guardian than I do on my shadow, scoundrel or sorcerer. (Although the scrapper scoundrel on huttball is bar none the absolute most useless class/map combo in the game.)

Edited by Polebreaker

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started playing pvp just recently with my def spec and coming from pve i wasn't expecting to dish out much damage, but the damage reduction is substantial and proves to help a lot. Once i even blocked 240k damage if my memory serves, which mase twice as much as i can dish out. Anyway, i;m in centurion still, so no big dissapointment if i die couple of times even killed by a single attacker. Altthough, i have to use stims and other cds a lot.

FYI The resolve/stun on leap has been removed on the PTS.

I pvp in full defense/soresu, and it basically does suck. However, I go after objectives and generally make a huge pain of myself to the opposing team. I find it fun, though frustrating if there's no healers on my side because the guardian is the absolute worst when it comes to self sufficiency, and even worse when the other side has 5 healers because my dps is laughable.

On the plus side, I can hold a node/door long enough to call for help unless I get 3 people at once and even then, I can still hold them off for a few critical seconds. And if I get the ball in huttball, it's almost certainly coming with me to the opposing goal line.

Side note, I use 2 pieces for each of the war leader and vindicator set for the dual set bonuses, as I didnt think the single 4 piece set bonus of either one outweighed the combo. But your mileage may vary.

Bottom line, defense guardian is one of the worst classes in pvp, except in huttball. I am usually at the top of my team on the scoreboard for all that's worth (nothing), but I have to work way harder for it on my guardian than I do on my shadow, scoundrel or sorcerer. (Although the scrapper scoundrel on huttball is bar none the absolute most useless class/map combo in the game.)

2pc Vindicator is nice if you lack a healer, but the 5% constant dmg increase across the board while Guard is active on someone is actually pretty overpowered IMO. Thats basically me being in Soresu form and hitting like I'm in offensive stance. I would give it a try, you will see a big difference in your overall damage.

I can see that, sure. But in full defense tree (out of sheer stubbornness at this point) 5% of wet noddle damage is still just a slightly less limp noodle.

The bummer side is the force choke extension continues to get bugged every other patch... right now, if I do it while NOT moving then I will get rooted in place despite the talent for instacast. If I cast it while moving, it works fine. If I remove the war leader pieces for the bonus, it goes back to working fine. It was fixed at one point, then seemed to break again... /sigh.

Anywho.

Im posting this to pretty much sum up the effectiveness of a tank in pvp and to shoot down any haters.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/Sm0k3y_photos/Defence.jpg

I only died twice in this round and took 250k damage in one life. If anybody thinks this is just a fluke, i can also post a screenshot of a 312k protection round.

Good luck to all guardians who seek to be pvp tanks.

I admit, I didn't read all 13 pages, so go easy on me

I switched from Marauder to tank Jugg and have to say, it's so much better! Sure my marauder does far more damage, but what good does that damage when I die in seconds? Dying so fast won't hold the turret, it won't help me guard a door. Let's be honest, all WZs available atm are made for you!

It doesn't matter that you can't kill one person of the 3 attacking the one turret/door you are guarding solo, your job is to stay alive long enough so your allies can kill 'em. (Granted, with BM gear I can usually take one down with me :p)

In Huttball Jugg/guardians are imo the best class next to sage/sorc. You can take a beating while holding the ball and you can jump all over the place. Grab the ball, intercede to an ally, jump to an enemy, push the enemy over to the goal line and jump again. Goal in a few seconds.

Just make sure you don't duel another tank on a turret, it's boring, trust me :D

Agreed, I never get MVP votes. People often shout out in our Team Speak server

"I got highest heals!"

"I got highest damage!"

when I say

"I was highest protection!"

they all laugh...ugh :p

well, look at this

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4546/screenshot2012040923594.jpg

and i'm not more than a mediocre player.

i usually go with my guildmate sentinel, guarding him make us cut imps like warm knife in the butter....

and sometimes fulltank be awarded :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In a WZ victory is generally acchieved by coordination, balance of classes and roles and a sum of all three measurables stats DMG + PROTECTION + HEAL.

A Guardian is the only class that can actually do all 3 of them if properly spec'd and geared.

In a full Defense spec + tank gear you are going to excel in only 1 of these stats = Protection. But if you don't have a pocket healer you are going to die so fast that your protection won't matter, therefore there will be games you will be virtually useless.

However a DPS Guardian (Focus or Vigilance) playing on Soresu form with DPS gear will acchieve easily the 300K dmg + 100K protection + 50K heal = 450K overall but in a really good match this could be 600K or more.

A full tank Guardian with a pocket healer will do in a really good match 100K dmg + 250K protection + 0 heal = 350K overall. I've never seen more 320K in protection in a match (not talking about ss in the net).

Therefore Defense spec is only actually good playing in full pre-mades with one or two healers but you can't have another full Tank otherwise your team will lack DPS.

Edited by Carcarah

• 1 month later...
541k protection? DAAAAMN! :o

=)

What spec are you running?

Defense Hybrid spec'd 27/12/2. This was in 1.2 I've been playing with the spec a bit lately to see what is most effective. 27 in the defense tree seems to work the best.

didnt read most of this but i will point out something that every guardian needs.

FOCUS TARGET.

this is an actual setting that u turn on and use.

if you do not know what it is, youtube it.

i guarantee if you dont use it and your level 50, when you turn it on and use it, it will up your pvp skills by 10x.

in summary: focus target + guardian leap = sexiest thing you have ever seen.

@Wandur

A sentinel/marauder can last 30+ seconds against 3 people when defending a node. I assure you, i cannot achieve this on my guardian no matter what i do, how i am specced, and how i am geared.

• 9 months later...

Hello all!

so I've read through the topic, -- the question is, a good battle friend of mine is playing a guardian jedi in def spec, and I can't choose between the sage and the shadow :D, so I ended up deciding upon whoever will complement the guardian the most -- after reading I'm figuring the sage will be more complementary in terms of pvp? so far we're questing and most pvp encounters are world and they're 2v2 or something like that

Or, what way it would work out better

Edited by sandrroz

Hello all!

so I've read through the topic, -- the question is, a good battle friend of mine is playing a guardian jedi in def spec, and I can't choose between the sage and the shadow :D, so I ended up deciding upon whoever will complement the guardian the most -- after reading I'm figuring the sage will be more complementary in terms of pvp? so far we're questing and most pvp encounters are world and they're 2v2 or something like that

Or, what way it would work out better

For WZ pvp it really wouldn't matter end game since WZ's are designed to be more focused on actual teamwork, oppose to just a duo team running in there wrecking their enemies. Both classes can benefit from working with a Defense Guardian. If your friend is going Defense spec with tanking gear, I'd actually recommend going DPS if you two are intent on pvping as a pair. Healer would benefit slightly more if he was a DPS guardian who knew how to swap stances to protect.

I see, thanks, that gives the necessary insight :-)

Had no specific intent in mind, I was just more concerned about random world encounters that happen sometimes since occasionally we do some questing together while leveling, so was thinking which variant would benefit the set-up the most.. can see now how it works out :-)

thanks again!

Edited by sandrroz

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know this is somewhat necro posting. I would love to upgrade this guide. writing down a few things now to add but want to know if anyone could give input on changes / thoughts on this guide,

Well with the loss of 8v8 ranked and the increased importance of Arena's and short burst fights, actual damage is gonna be a tad more important to say the least.

I would say you could do an update to give some pointers on that, a spec tree, and what damaging skills to use and when so to not focus-starve yourself.

Other than that, great guide. read it when you first posted it and reading it now after coming back to my guardian after a year or so.

Edited by Serondil

• 1 month later...

Ive been a full vigilance guardian for ages. Now i tried a 19-23-0 specc. Last WZ i did 350k dmg and 450k protection. I found a skilled commando and he decided to show me same love i show him and together we had a blast. Ofc i got much more medals than he did....i mean....hes a healer....they are not supposed to get medals right?

Anyway a very good guide. It made me change my way to play the class 100%

Well with the loss of 8v8 ranked and the increased importance of Arena's and short burst fights, actual damage is gonna be a tad more important to say the least.

I would say you could do an update to give some pointers on that, a spec tree, and what damaging skills to use and when so to not focus-starve yourself.

Other than that, great guide. read it when you first posted it and reading it now after coming back to my guardian after a year or so.

Damage is important in an arena, but protection is just as important still. To help out, it's nice if you can coordinate with your team and have them shout out if they're being focused. Though of course you need to do a good job of watching health bars (something I admittedly could do better). This helps a lot because most of the good teams are going to focus on one target: your guard and taunts are going to be huge there. Likely targets are a DPS to lower the damage of the other team, or their healer. Focusing the tank seems a bad idea unless they seem bad or are undergeared.

Case in point for protection, I had a match where we had one tank and three DPS (though I was one DPS as a Vanguard, so I could taunt as well). We took on a balanced team of 2 DPS, a tank, and a healer. Through taunting, guarding, and focus firing, we were just able to edge out the other team, 2-1. It wouldn't always happen, of course, but it was a lot better than we thought it would be first going in--and protection with our damage is what did it.

Edited by Pilgrim_Grey