How to PVP as a Jedi Guardian in defense spec.

Dragonexadon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guarding someone in a hazard means nothing. Its not possible to get 419,303 protection points if the other team only does 464,858 damage. Even if you guarded and challenged every bit of outgoing damage you would only have 371,886 protection.

You guarded a healer while they stood in the acid. Grats

Im guessing it was divonex.

This is exactly what happened.

I'm usually one of the only ones with decent protection numbers after each WZ, because I care about winning, not killing or huge numbers.

Nice to see a fellow community member putting effort into getting more people to try defence pvp.

I'm usually one of the only ones with decent protection numbers after each WZ, because I care about winning, not killing or huge numbers.

Nice to see a fellow community member putting effort into getting more people to try defence pvp.

In my experience, I end up with higher protection numbers than most tank-specs in WZs. AE taunt, taunt, and guardian leap all do wonders.

Winning isn't accomplished just one way, doing damage also keeps your healers alive and moving towards objectives.

I am glad I am not alone in this thinking. It is hard to get support. Even my own guild only looks at kills/DPS, heals, and total medals. I like to think protection really helps win games

Wow. I've been leveling a tanking Defense/Vigilance hybrid Guardian and this is exactly how I've been playing in PvP. Especially the part of going into a pointless fight just to buy time for the rest of your team or to lead the enemy into a fruitless goose chase.

I approve on all accounts.

Edited by Velthome

Wow. I've been leveling a tanking Defense/Vigilance hybrid Guardian and this is exactly how I've been playing in PvP. Especially the part of going into a pointless fight just to buy time for the rest of your team or to lead the enemy into a fruitless goose chase.

I approve on all accounts.

Thanks! I do the same-thing. I will get into fights just to hold objectives even if it is 3v1 or more. I know if I can stay alive long enough for the rest of the team to get there then we are good!

I disagree with your guide, respectfully.

Guardian Leap, Challenging Call, Taunt, and Guard are all standard skills that are 100% effective without any talent points used in the defensive line.

So the best pvp guardians are those who protect their healers, have guard bound to an accessable keybind, switch guard on targets who are getting burned, as well as spam taunts / use guardian leap and all while all this is being done is DPS specced and help mow down enemies.

I roll Focus AOE spec (3 / 7 / 31) with a premade, and I normally start off with a saberthrow, force leap to enemy, force exaustion, put down AOE for massive damage, and then guardian leap back to healer as soon as he or she calls for help.

So end result is a massive damage score, high kill count, and healer/friends remain very protected during the whole match

So, imo, best way to roll a guardian, right now, in pvp, is to spec for DPS, but utilize your defensive standard skills just as frequently as you do with damage.

A defense / vigil spec, or mix of the 2, is mainly a PVE build, but All builds imo can do well in pvp, but it's up to the player to remember he has tanking skills that need to be used just as often as his DPS skills, and Focus will net the best results in pvp if played correctly.

Teamwork is key to success. A good spec does not beat good teamwork.

I am playing as a lvl40 dps juggernaut (shien form vig-focus spec) right now, but i also have a jedi guardian. I almost always finish in the top3 in my team and get 5-7 comm almost every time.

After the games I check the statistis and I am quite shocked. Usually I am the _only_ one having scored in the "protection" column.

The problem I see that protection is extremely underrated.

I am afraid many (even among the pure defense spec guardians) still dont understand the mechanism behind "taunt", "challenging call " etc...

P.S. Thx for this important input by opening the thread Dragonexadon

Edited by Kyle_Lin

Taunt / challenging call are very awesome skills in pvp.

My wife is a pure healer specced Sage and watch 2, 3, even 4 people trying to bring her down while I guard, AOE, and taunt them, is very funny.

But as I already said in my last post here, you don't need to be defense line specced to utilize your tanking skills in pvp, it only limits your capabilities.

Not to mention that at the moment, pure defense is a poor choice in pve too, and vigilance line skills not that great.

I'm hoping that a future patch will make defense spec viable in pvp and pve, but atm, it's just not.

Just best to go focus spec for aoe damage, or maybe a def/vig hybrid for single target damage, and just remember to utilize taunts/guard effectively in between bursting enemies.

I disagree with your guide, respectfully.

Guardian Leap, Challenging Call, Taunt, and Guard are all standard skills that are 100% effective without any talent points used in the defensive line.

You are 100% correct. Minus the reduction in challenging call and a little more damage mitigation.

This guide is for us though that do want to PVP as defense spec. I don't claim it is the best spec to PVP in...but just give a guide on how to do it if you are defense spec

But, until they add an option to switch specs without paying, I plan to pvp in defense spec so I can also main tank for my guild

And the guide is just there to help others who are defense spec and want to do well in PVP.

I am playing as a lvl40 dps juggernaut (shien form vig-focus spec) right now, but i also have a jedi guardian. I almost always finish in the top3 in my team and get 5-7 comm almost every time.

After the games I check the statistis and I am quite shocked. Usually I am the _only_ one having scored in the "protection" column.

The problem I see that protection is extremely underrated.

I am afraid many (even among the pure defense spec guardians) still dont understand the mechanism behind "taunt", "challenging call " etc...

P.S. Thx for this important input by opening the thread Dragonexadon

Totally agree.

For me, having played tanks in WAR pvp, the protection abilities here are nothing new - but kind of bugs me after dying twice in a row guarding the same healer you ask him to throw his guard the odd heal and he says 'whut?'. It's not like it isn't obvious who's guarding/being guarded.

So yeah, it's not just the tanks that need to understand it, but the healers too!

OP post highly refers to offensive focus guardians as well, since most of the protection can be done by offensive guardians as well and help as much. common stats are: 120-300k damage, 10-60k protection

This is true, and a lot of other people have been stating that, so I will change the title of my post

I just had the most fun I've ever had as a guardian in PvP last night on Voidstar. I had just hit 50 and was nervous about PvP'ing against people who were inevitably better geared than me (because mixed warzones hadn't always gone very well...), but I guess I didn't need to be!

Our group only had one healer, and I tried to just stick to him like glue with guard and disrupt the big damage dealers with push, etc. We started out on offense and it didn't look good, we barely got through the first set of doors. But on defense the healer and I just bounced between sides and the Imps never even set the bomb. I ended up with 150k damage and 75k protection, both of them near my career highs. I felt like the *********** man.

Guardian Leap is a real game-changer for this class... when I think to how low I was on my Guardian around level 30, it's hard to believe how much better this class (hell, even the storyline) gets after Balmorra.

Edited by Paydroid