How to PVP as a Jedi Guardian in defense spec.

Dragonexadon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please read over Soresu again. It offers 15% to shield chance, and an armor bonus that equates to, at moderate gear, at least 20% flat damage mitigation -- as well as generates focus by taking damage. This is the meat of your tanking ability, right here.

The only difference in damage comes from specing into the form and talents that offer more damage for that respective form, but arguement is easily reframed as do more damage quickly, or live longer and do more damage over time. AT BEST, in a Vig vs Shield/Vig spec, we're talking 12% damage difference in the boost you can get from Shein.

I currently run 31 in focus, rest in vig and shield -- my best run in a warzone was just over 400k damage, with 75k protection. I can mod my gear, if I choose for def/shield and tank any hard mode I want (and have done it), or I can run accuracy/power and in soresu form throw out 4k-5k AE Force Sweeps. My guardian friend has significantly better gear than I, runs in Soresu, and has hit a over 5k on his.

The ONLY things you get from the defense tree in regards to defense are 12% defense, a 40% reduction for 10 seconds, and blade barrier. -- and in return you will not do enough damage to kill anything. Taunt, Guard, Awe, AE snare, and guardian leap are what makes you a good pvp tank, the rest only matter if people target you -- and once they see your damage as a full shield spec, I assure you they will not.

I'm curious what you think it is a shield spec can do that a dps in soresu cannot.

Any chance of you posting what your tree looked like when you did 400k in dmg?

I'll have to post the exact build when I get home -- I have three piece of champioon gear, all mods are 50+/- and built around strenght/power/end/accuracy. So I'm built with DPS in mind -- then I flip flop back and fourth about running in soresu for added survivability, or shii-cho for added damage (6% from talents, 20% passive armor pen talent) and CD reduction.

The 31 points in Focus are based on setting up singularity stacks to boost sweep damage, and using leaps to trigger 100% crit chances on them -- from there you can go into vig and pickup the 1st teir sweep talent, and go up for 6% strength, or just take the first tier and go over to shield for the extra focus on sunder and the free blade storm on leaps -- because you've got two now, and it's free damage.

It's a melee AE bombing spec, but sweep also works as solid single target damage as well in the event you need to take down a healer -- but, where it shines is when you have a few of the opposing team standing too close together and you can pop a group of them for around 4k.

This guide misses a few things.

Here's a few I thought of:

1) JG have 3 interupts Im aware of : Force Stasis, Force Push and Kick. Interupting long cast damage dealers and healers is very helpfull in Pvp. DO IT.

2) Use masterstrike anytime you are near a stunned enemy and it's off cool down. The damage is sick, and every other class has so many stuns... all you have to do to get it off is either be in a large pack where your target isn't paying attention, or nail someone whos being stunned by someone else. No one survives long after a MS.

3) Snare is important, don't forget you have it, it's another tool you can use to shave off some folks from someone your protecting.

4) Don't be afraid to go into a losing battle n v 1. You'll live for a sick long time and your keeping a bunch of people occupied. This gets WAI more effective if you have a healer with you guarded, however, you are taking a healer away from your team, so just go nuts solo sometimes, your a tank, get in peoples faces and die like a hero.

Edited by VoidJustice

This guide misses a few things.

Here's a few I thought of:

1) JG have 3 interupts Im aware of : Force Stasis, Force Push and Kick. Interupting long cast damage dealers and healers is very helpfull in Pvp. DO IT.

Force Leap is an interupt as well.

Please read over Soresu again. It offers 15% to shield chance, and an armor bonus that equates to, at moderate gear, at least 20% flat damage mitigation -- as well as generates focus by taking damage. This is the meat of your tanking ability, right here.

The only difference in damage comes from specing into the form and talents that offer more damage for that respective form, but arguement is easily reframed as do more damage quickly, or live longer and do more damage over time. AT BEST, in a Vig vs Shield/Vig spec, we're talking 12% damage difference in the boost you can get from Shein.

I currently run 31 in focus, rest in vig and shield -- my best run in a warzone was just over 400k damage, with 75k protection. I can mod my gear, if I choose for def/shield and tank any hard mode I want (and have done it), or I can run accuracy/power and in soresu form throw out 4k-5k AE Force Sweeps. My guardian friend has significantly better gear than I, runs in Soresu, and has hit a over 5k on his.

The ONLY things you get from the defense tree in regards to defense are 12% defense, a 40% reduction for 10 seconds, and blade barrier. -- and in return you will not do enough damage to kill anything. Taunt, Guard, Awe, AE snare, and guardian leap are what makes you a good pvp tank, the rest only matter if people target you -- and once they see your damage as a full shield spec, I assure you they will not.

I'm curious what you think it is a shield spec can do that a dps in soresu cannot.

I would love to see your build. Currently I am doing decent in PVP and PVE with m defense spec...but I don't do anywhere near the damage you are doing. Also I don't have the gear like you do.

based on your thread I am sure you will laugh at my current spec but here it is:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500fMGfuMrkzRZhMR.1

I had my mind set on being a defense spec tank right from the start so I hope I can still be viable in someway with a primary defense spec. However if you are tanking just as well and doing amazing damage in PVP I would be tempted to switch.

I am ignorantly stubborn about staying with defense and trying to make it work though haha.

p.s. I added your tips to the guide VoidJustice and Drakks

I go 31 points in Focus -- and honestly, the way you take it will be obvious based on how you want to play it: are going to run in shii-cho (then take the perks for shii-cho), or in soresu (skip the shii-cho points).

The remaining 10 are just how you see your character -- 3 points in Vig for swelling winds are obvious (it boosts force sweep and CD reduction), and to me 2 points in defense for Victory Rush (extra focus on sundering strike).

Remaining 5 are flavor -- if you play in Shii-cho, pick up 6% extra damage from Vig in Single Saber Mastery, and 2 points in Perserverance for extra Str. If in Soresu, having a free blade storm on each of your two leaps is nice since you generate initial focus slower so pick up Momentum from Shield, and top it off with Solidified Force for free AE snaring goodness.

Edited by Drakks

I use talents from both def tree and the vig tree, so that I get the guardian slash to be more annoying to my opponents.

but seriously... +1000 to the guy who made this post, guardians that actually place guard in a pvp warzone... your awesome.. those who don't.. why not?

Think about it from a medal whoring perspective, 5k protection gets you 1 medal, then 10k// and so on..

plus.. you do damage en masse with force sweep, and focusing on single target.. that will get you your damage medals...

and huttball... well.. leap when you have the ball xD

I honestly think guardians have the most fun in pvp.

Responding to original post

Its the whole reason I chose Guardian. I love the fact that I can actually tank in pvp, technically. Now I wish there was collision, cause that would be even better, but I can deal with all my taunts and Guard, to feel like a tank.

But yeah, at end of WZ's only stat I look at is protection.

I'm still amazed at how many fights I win in open pvp though.

Responding to original post

Its the whole reason I chose Guardian. I love the fact that I can actually tank in pvp, technically. Now I wish there was collision, cause that would be even better, but I can deal with all my taunts and Guard, to feel like a tank.

But yeah, at end of WZ's only stat I look at is protection.

I'm still amazed at how many fights I win in open pvp though.

Really glad so many people liked this post. Seems there are a lot of us pure defense pvpers.

Guard is the main reason i love playing with guildys

Putting it on a derp who is undergeared and clueless thus taking loads of damage is a huge DoT on your hp bar, this im reluctant to use it queueing as solo.... on a healer the kites , uses los and cc it is amazing, on one that sit in the middle of 5 ppl getting constantly interupted while spamming WASADSDS it is terrible.

I go 31 points in Focus -- and honestly, the way you take it will be obvious based on how you want to play it: are going to run in shii-cho (then take the perks for shii-cho), or in soresu (skip the shii-cho points).

The remaining 10 are just how you see your character -- 3 points in Vig for swelling winds are obvious (it boosts force sweep and CD reduction), and to me 2 points in defense for Victory Rush (extra focus on sundering strike).

Remaining 5 are flavor -- if you play in Shii-cho, pick up 6% extra damage from Vig in Single Saber Mastery, and 2 points in Perserverance for extra Str. If in Soresu, having a free blade storm on each of your two leaps is nice since you generate initial focus slower so pick up Momentum from Shield, and top it off with Solidified Force for free AE snaring goodness.

Hey thanks for the info. I still wanna run guard which is why I been forceing myself down the defense tree. But now I realize being 1 dimensional isn't gonna serve all my needs since pvp is my main goal. And have been slightly frustrated with my dps in pvp. Taking to long to kill someone in warzone often places me in too many situations where me and my friend become outnumbered. (level 25 currently) I just needed to find the right hybrid build. And now with your information I have something to work with.

Edited by Gearsofwarthree

I am a defense specced Guardian and I regularly get 9+ medals. Including the damage ones. I always make it to at least 150k damage and at least get 75k protection. While also getting the Medic medal and usually hovering around 40k heals.

I am a defense specced Guardian and I regularly get 9+ medals. Including the damage ones. I always make it to at least 150k damage and at least get 75k protection. While also getting the Medic medal and usually hovering around 40k heals.

Can you share your spec?

I Very often do warzones , -5+ a day. and i am a Defence Guardian, one thing i noticed is that my DPS in the end of a Warzone is always higher than if i go in other specs.......

JKG is awesome , only a fool will ignore him on the battlefield , and this fool will soon eat Dust because JKG can not only protect but sting abit aswell.

am specced all defence , but my gear is offence = win combo.

side note - me and Doc companion(lvl 36) VS lvl 50 sorc and DPS companion ended with me dead leaving the sorc as low as 20% HP.

Very good guide. Thanks much!

I've never played a tank before, much less PvP'ed as one - I'd never even thought of this playstyle. Definately gonna try it out.=D

i just hope that Sage I know is healing spec...

So after reading this thread, I changed up how I was pvp'ing and I could not be more happy with the results. This is one of the better games I had, but myself and a trooper primarily spent our time protecting others and defending doors - it was outstanding. I personally have never done better than 51/0.

http://i.imgur.com/XkzVg.jpg

Thanks for this thread! :D

So after reading this thread, I changed up how I was pvp'ing and I could not be more happy with the results. This is one of the better games I had, but myself and a trooper primarily spent our time protecting others and defending doors - it was outstanding. I personally have never done better than 51/0.

Kind of cool that my guide is helping out people! Glad to see you did so well in PVP!

poor 500k healing sage w/ 3 medals :( silently carrying the game