I'm feeling 7.0 is the end

EllieAnne

If I'm not mistaken FF14 suffered a near death experience at one point. BUT someone decided to turn things around, and it worked. I would also suggest that some of the "featured changes" SWTOR is experiencing right now is in order to accommodate console games (ie PS-4 and PS-5).

I refuse to believe that their team (FF-14) is the only one capable of that kind of determination and work. Granted SWTOR needs an infusion of cash and the right team motivation to make some things happen. BUT until the last chapter is written I wouldn't write this game off just yet.

It did straight after launch. There’s a documentary on it now that’s really interesting. They brought back their original FF head guy to take over and rebuild it and he’s still running it.

BioWare and EA don’t have anyone like Toshi who cares as much or has the talent. Plus they have the Japanese work ethic ground into them to try and make the customer as happy and satisfied as possible. It’s a different work culture to western style dev teams.

It’s why swtor will eventually die because EA and BioWare only care about profit and treadmill spreadsheet statistics and monetising everything. They don’t care about player enjoyment anymore or have enough pride in their work.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus they have the Japanese work ethic ground into them to try and make the customer as happy and satisfied as possible.

I've been told, by people who seem to know, that the team at Bioware Austin really uninvested/don't care about this game, they hate having to deal with the creaking Frankensteinian Heroengine and most would rather be doing something else. Not sure how much to believe but having a apathetic work force rings true to me based on how the game is run and has been run.

It did straight after launch. There’s a documentary on it now that’s really interesting. They brought back their original FF head guy to take over and rebuild it and he’s still running it.

BioWare and EA don’t have anyone like Toshi who cares as much or has the talent. Plus they have the Japanese work ethic ground into them to try and make the customer as happy and satisfied as possible. It’s a different work culture to western style dev teams.

It’s why swtor will eventually die because EA and BioWare only care about profit and treadmill spreadsheet statistics and monetising everything. They don’t care about player enjoyment anymore or have enough pride in their work.

i thought yoshi-p was dragon quest , and was moved to final fantasy 14

I'm a returning player, started with SWTOR right at launch and quit right after Class stories Chapter 3 came out (don't remember what expansion that was), had one character maxed out at Level 50 at the time, several other lower level alts, and all crew skills progressing among them all.

I just re-subbed after 7.0 came out, and I'm enjoying a new character, have leveled her through the 3 initial story chapters, and now starting Chapter 4. So far everything seems honky-dory, except for an Outfitter system I think is pretty clumsy, buggy and annoying. And also I'm tired of running into the paywall that is the Cartel Bazaar and their constant asking us to spend Cartel Coins for every little QOL feature.

I haven't started crafting again, so don't know why so many claim that crafting is dead. Maybe someone will care to explain. I've been with WoW for ever, it seems, and just finally un-subbed after a few months of Shadowlands. Same with FF14, I liked the game a lot, just got bored recently and decided to come back to SWTOR instead.

Each MMO has its ups and downs. This, from someone who cut his teeth playing MMORPGs starting with Ultima Online, then EQ, EQ2, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, EVE Online, Elder Scrolls Online (still subbed), WoW, FF14, and Guild Wars 2. I play them as long as they're fun, stop when I burn out, pick up another one, do it for awhile, come back when something interesting pops up among the other ones.

SWTOR is the same way. It's fun now, for a returning player like me. I'll stick around as long as it's still enjoyable. :-)

I'm a returning player, started with SWTOR right at launch and quit right after Class stories Chapter 3 came out (don't remember what expansion that was), had one character maxed out at Level 50 at the time, several other lower level alts, and all crew skills progressing among them all.

That’s not entirely true though because you came back to play 6.0. You’re posting history shows you were here for it.

Edited by Totemdancer

If memory serves, he was on the original FF14 dev team and they moved him early in the development cycle once he’d laid out his vision and someone else took over. But the people who took over diverted too much from the plan or didn’t have the same vision and didn’t follow through. Don’t quote me on that, it’s been a few years since I watched the documentary.

Edited by Totemdancer

I've been told, by people who seem to know, that the team at Bioware Austin really uninvested/don't care about this game, they hate having to deal with the creaking Frankensteinian Heroengine and most would rather be doing something else. Not sure how much to believe but having a apathetic work force rings true to me based on how the game is run and has been run.

That maybe true or not. If it is true, that’s a management problem as much as anything. If you have an unmotivated workforce, its about motivating them or getting new people who can be motivated.

Edited by Totemdancer

Yes, YoshiP is was given complete control over the FFXIV franchise. ARR 2.0 and beyond is all his. And here's what he did from the start. He played WoW and liked some of what he saw. He then told his people, we are going to take some of what they did and we are going to do it far better. Updates 2.0 to 6.0 are the results of doing it better. Now, 6.1 is releasing mid-April, aptly name, "Newfound Adventure!" Talk about a poke in the face for all the other MMORPGs including this one! :cool::D;)

That’s not entirely true though because you came back to play 6.0. You’re posting history shows you were here for it.

I don't remember anything about 6.0. All I know is that I had 1 Mercenary at L50 from way back when. Maybe I signed back on as a F2P customer during 6.0. In any event I didn't stay long enough to accomplish anything. When I just resubbed recently to check out 7.0, the highest level toon I had was still that L50 Mercenary. :-)

If memory serves, he was on the original FF14 dev team and they moved him early in the development cycle once he’d laid out his vision and someone else took over. But the people who took over diverted too much from the plan or didn’t have the same vision and didn’t follow through. Don’t quote me on that, it’s been a few years since I watched the documentary.

No, YoshiP was brought in after 1.0 launched crashing and burning. He remolded the game into its current form and relaunched 2.0 A Realm Reborn. He was recently asked about 1.0. He said, no, not going to touch it, its dead and gone.

I mean. This 7.0 i a joke in every possible way. Not wait! Galactic Season is nice, but that's all.

There is almost noone who likes almost any change in this game now. But almost everyone liked at least to some point what we got in 6.0. Then why destroy it and do something new that is not even working properly?

No idea, but i have my theories. One of them is that they did it on purpose to kill this game or something,

Or to not acknowledge that they don't have anything more besides bugs so now it'll be main point of of small patch, not expansion.

7.0 is smallest one patch and it seems it'll be the smallest one.

Not even saying about launch LotS<Onslaught, but the following patches.

I don't care and still don't know *** is all about that new gear. If I have to grind and still don't know what is that about then I pass. I'll stick to 306 and better relics etc, as I don't know even how or if Amor Outfitter works for me...

We were supposed to got Daily Area and Ops at launch, but no. They delayed it for "SoonTM". We were suposed to get 7.1 soon after launch, but no. We'll got 7.0.1 than also is unknown when exactly. Instead of new content we are getting bugs fixed, which probably will fix only like half of them.

GS2 won't stick me here forever.

I mean. If we'll not get 7.1 so maybe some new 2minutes long cutscene and Ops and Daily Area before May I'll leave this game forever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assumed to be happy with whatever they throw at us? No I'm not. Either you will do what you promised, or just fire yourselfs or give this game to someone's else.

For a long time I wasn't so pissed off by damn game lol

So new achievement unlocked it seems...

The problem is not western culture, but EA/Bioware...

I play other games made in Europe and US, sandbox survival games, space exploration sims - and in every single of these games we have great communication with developers - we can talk to them on the forum, we hang out with them on Discord. And they make the game better for us, release patches and expansions - more content quarterly than we got in SWTOR in couple of years.

Myself I played and subbed to SWTOR since late 2018, but I cancelled my sub last week and stopped playing. The game is no fun anymore. I tried to enjoy it for couple of weeks after 7.0 launched, I tried to get used to it, but I can't. They did not listen to out feedback during PTS, they fixed few bugs.

Galactic Seasons are OK, combat styles are OK but still - why did they make us carry extra set of equipment for other style, instead just having it saved in the equipment slots. Whatever... But our inventory is full of junk already.

But why nerf most of the chars? Why nerf gearing system? I want to be able to customize my build, pick skills I actually need, setup my gear with mods/enhancements to my liking.

And that grind... They did not introduce any new content, but made us grind for equipment to be able to play again the old content... Shocking! And boring.

And yes - now you can't have all your favourite flashpoints in the groupfinder, you have to play the ones you don't like ;)

My character was nerfed and made less fun to play, and now I have to grind through content I do not like just to upgrade my gear to play the old content (because 306 is no good anymore).

You guys are joking, launching delayed "expansion" which was not finished, the game did not work on latest CPUs for 1 month, after this there were problems with the Launcher freezing. Fix the game, and add the content or there will be no more sub money from me.

It was fun guys, I loved the game. But from now on I will stay away from SWTOR and Bioware and support other developers who actually care and have passion for their game.

PS.

I make mods in Unreal Engine for other games, enable mods here and I will make a new flashpoint/operation every week. For free. You dudes are messing around charging sub for that game...

Edited by Starknaga

I mentioned this before: And I'm sticking to it.

Am I disappointed? : Yes. Without question.

I still mean what I said about getting the game "reconnected" to the players (remembering what made SWTOR what it was) and where we can STILL go if the right people have the right stuff and make it happen.

Any game can have struggles from time to time (WoW proved that).

If I'm not mistaken FF14 suffered a near death experience at one point. BUT someone decided to turn things around, and it worked. I would also suggest that some of the "featured changes" SWTOR is experiencing right now is in order to accommodate console games (ie PS-4 and PS-5).

I refuse to believe that their team (FF-14) is the only one capable of that kind of determination and work. Granted SWTOR needs an infusion of cash and the right team motivation to make some things happen. BUT until the last chapter is written I wouldn't write this game off just yet.

Yeah, yeah, yeah .... Blah, blah blah.

4.0, er 5.0, er 6.0, no wait 7.0 .... yeah, that's it .... 7.1 is definitely the end, or maybe 7.2, definitely 8.0 ... 😂😂

(It's got to be correct sometime)

I love it when fanboys act as if MMORPGs never shut down.

SWTOR 2.0 released April 2013

SWTOR 3.0 released Dec 2014

SWTOR 4.0, released Oct 2015

SWTOR 5.0 released Nov 2016

SWTOR 6.0 released Oct...2019

SWTOR 7.0 released Feb...2022

Went from a 1 year cycle to a 3 year cycle.

Game is not dying, nothing to see here folks, things are getting BETTER and there is no harm in driving players away!

Piss poor game design apologists are a big part of the problem, they burry legit complaints that the developers should be focusing on to retain their playerbase to aid in keeping the game living longer or even growing, you know...like how FFXIV went from one of the worst MMORPG launches in history to now being the most successful and popular MMORPG there is. Because they listened.

I love it when anti-fanboys can't understand basic sarcasm.

The point is not that "mmorpgs" never close down. The point is that we've heard about the death of SWTOR over, and over, and over, and over, again and again. And as I said, some lucky contestant has to be right sometime. 😂

The point is not that "mmorpgs" never close down. The point is that we've heard about the death of SWTOR over, and over, and over, and over, again and again. And as I said, some lucky contestant has to be right sometime. 😂

MMOs dont just get an update and die, they die over time from decline in quality. Not even what is called the worst update/expansion in MMO history, SWGs CU caused its immediate death even though it drove off almost 50% of the players, it took the release of NGU shortly after to drive off another near 25% for the game to stop development almost completely and it still took near 2 years for the server to be shutdown even with no development.

"The end" does not mean shutdown and for almost 6 years and after each call of this game is going to end, the amount of players dropped, the amount of income has dropped and the development has plummeted. They are tied. But, as you say...some (fanboys) has to be right...all the time...and you will keep on being in denial right up until its announced the game is going to shutdown as has been seen in every MMO community, the diehards defend with blinders on until the end, and then they cry the loudest over how outrageous it is the game is closing...to only themselves because there is no else there listening thanks in part to them drowning out everyone elses voices trying to change things for the better.

Edited by gregordunbar

Am I disappointed... absolutely, especially since "Vision" was used so much before this Expansion launched, it reminds me of "Iconic and more Star Wars" that SOE promised right before NGE.

This expansion is just bad and unnecessary all the way around, and before you call me a hater check my post history. I know it won't happen but the devs need to acknowledge they made a huge mistake and roll back to 6.0, a lot less people are going to play because of the "vision"

Maybe something will happen when revenue slows down, because it will.

except people have voted with their wallets, they have left in droves, but BW don't care, they have a revolving door policy , as long as they are making a profit, they don't care. Profits down? Release on steam, need a new boost, release new shiny , etc, etc. Even in the darkest days, when we lost 60% of the players, they barely listened to what was said, and instead, just listened to a small few select best buds on discord. A smaller group then on the forums, but because they are best buds, they must have a finger on the pulse of the community....

It won't die, because they'll just keep releasing shinny's, or promotions with other games, or new areas, etc.

It will be the end for a lot of people, but as they step aside, another lot will step in, and cycle will repeat.

Sadly the age of media, discord, streamers that promote games get way too much influence over the sway. Kind of falls in line with frat boy mentality and some actions in this game point to a lot of it. Lana in your face all the time is one of them. More difficult combat gearing nerfs etc. There is s huge list.

If I am not mistaken, blizzard had a lawsuit over the same thing some time back. Another company that has a tendency to run along these lines is bungie while promoting inclusivity. I left that group recently after playing since beta.

I hate to see bioware go down this road. Especially after anthem and the issues with andromeda. They don't need any more fails. The fact this is the only star wars game out there, I can't understand why more isn't put into this game. Sure it's ten years old, but it still has a lot of life left if they had the right people putting time into it and actually loved doing it. It just feels like nobody cares anymore. Lack of content, bad writing and so many things left unfinished or just broken, up in the air or plain doesn't make any sense in the dialogue.

The fact we get very little communication, slow updates and no roadmap is not helping.

7.0 reminds me of the Star Wars Galaxies “Combat Upgrade”.

Even after many players left, the game continued for 6yrs.

SWTOR is its successor and I'm sure there is another game waiting to replace this one; barring any issues with Disney.

Remember the money you spent to get your companion to level 50? Gone.

Remember how gearing actually meant something? Gone.

Remember when Conquest was an enjoyable diversion? Gone.

Weapon skins? Gone.

Gear modification/customization? Gone.

Abilities you loved? Gone.

Infinite "leveling up rewards" via renown? Gone.

Ability to get BiS gear by playing however you like to play? Gone.

Never in my life have I seen an "expansion" that was 90% removal of content, features, options, and flexibility for players. Not to mention multiple examples of removing things people paid real money for (weapon skins, companion compendium level up benefits).

I love it when anti-fanboys can't understand basic sarcasm.

This is true; but I have to say that this is first time since this game launched, that I have lost complete interest in playing. I really like the ability to choose a second advanced class and the load out system; though I wish the gear would stay in the load out and not in my inventory; but not the end of the world.

The end game gearing system and changes, have made my characters weaker and there is no new content to justify this. I am playing the same decade old flashpoints and operations to get a bunch of non moddable, green junk gear.

I understood that with a new level would come new gear, but this is beyond lame; it's flat out boring.

So, while I agree people have chicken littled this game since day 1, this new gearing system has turned a fun game into something that I simply dont feel like playing.

I have given it a solid effort, because I have played this since launch and I am huge starwars fun, but even I have a limit and 7.0 is that limit.

I am not quiet ready to cancel my sub, but I dont really see any reason to log in as much, if at all TBH. I guess if another mmo peaked my interest enough to subscribe, than I would be gone for good unfortunately.

It is a real shame, because i really do love this game.

Edited by kirorx

This is true; but I have to say that this is first time since this game launched, that I have lost complete interest in playing. I really like the ability to choose a second advanced class and the load out system; though I wish the gear would stay in the load out and not in my inventory; but not the end of the world.

The end game gearing system and changes, have made my characters weaker and there is no new content to justify this. I am playing the same decade old flashpoints and operations to get a bunch of non moddable, green junk gear.

I understood that with a new level would come new gear, but this is beyond lame; it's flat out boring.

So, while I agree people have chicken littled this game since day 1, this new gearing system has turned a fun game into something that I simply dont feel like playing.

I have given it a solid effort, because I have played this since launch and I am huge starwars fun, but even I have a limit and 7.0 is that limit.

I am not quiet ready to cancel my sub, but I dont really see any reason to log in as much, if at all TBH. I guess if another mmo peaked my interest enough to subscribe, than I would be gone for good unfortunately.

It is a real shame, because i really do love this game.

I didn't play from start, but I've been playing for years too, and I feel exactly the same.

I keep logging in, try to q for a MM flashpoint, not getting a pop. I run the one time heroic mission on each planet (well most of them anyhow) for conquest, which doesn't take much time. I look at the conquest goals, don't see anything I want to do, I log out. Log back in after while, try to queue for a flashpoint, but no pop. It's pointless.

At raid time I finally get to play something, but it's nothing but nefra, EV and KP HM. Every day the same ops, as long as I have unlocked level 80 alts. When I finally get gear drops or try to upgrade something, I'm always missing some currency and I'm getting bored with running between legacy cargo and the vendors to see if I have something to disintegrate. It's boring and pointless, because even if I would be able to upgrade something, my augmented 306 is still better for most stuff.

The game is in a really sad state. :(

I don't think SWTOR is making enough money on its own for EA to keep it going. However, it frequently sees a bump in player activity and revenue when another popular Star Wars show, movie, or game comes out. EA's Star Wars license ends in fall 2023, but they are making the KOTOR remake. While they haven't given a release window, I think they are aiming for it to come out before fall 2023. If it does well, it will definitely bring in a lot of money for SWTOR, so EA will want to secure a (non-exclusive) Star Wars license to continue SWTOR. If KOTOR I does well, you can be sure EA will want to remake KOTOR II as well, and that means they will want to keep SWTOR around until then as well. That doesn't mean SWTOR will get more development though. It may be on maintenance mode but still bring in revenue when other games are released. Edited by ThanderSnB