I'm feeling 7.0 is the end

EllieAnne

Die? No.

Mass players leaving like 5.0? Absolutely. But this time there's no way to recover.

That’s the gist of it. BioWare are making a massive gamble and going all in this time cause it’s 10 year anniversary. “If” these changes aren’t well received, there will be an exodus of sorts. How many is subjective and how badly it affects the game will depend on how many they get to come back or start playing from scratch.

The problem is BioWare and EA spend little to nothing on marketing this game and never have. Most people who start it is from word of mouth or they are specifically looking for a SW game and come across it. If a bunch of people are leaving it, they certainly aren’t going to be saying nice things or recommend to it.

And every expansion or dumb design decision BioWare makes, they always drive some players from the game because they become fed up. This is 100% a fact and happens every time (even with their less contentious changes). I don’t think any can dispute that happens.

This has been an issue since launch and it’s why we’ve got this ever declining player base. And eventually they will reach a critical point that of players leaving that EA says enough and shuts the game’s development and shortly after it shuts the servers.

It totally possible it could happen this time, but I doubt it. At least not straight away. I actually have this niggling feeling in my gut that EA have said to BioWare that next year is the last year of development, so have at it. And that’s what BioWare are doing to set it up to run for another few years with little to no support (I hope I’m wrong).

The other possibility is they are readying it for an Xbox port or compatibility with Steam deck. Why else make such sweeping changes by pruning abilities, utilities, simplifying gearing and remaking a lot of the UI at the expense of making content?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other possibility is they are readying it for an Xbox port or compatibility with Steam deck. Why else make such sweeping changes by pruning abilities, utilities, simplifying gearing and remaking a lot of the UI at the expense of making content?

This is a very good observation. FF14 and ESO both have controller support, two of the most popular MMO's on the market, pruning abilities would help in that endeavor.

Ultimately I think what's going to happen, is when their contract is up, Disney will then decide to renew it, let it run in maintenance mode or simply cancel it. What EAWare is currently doing, is extremely brazen.

Edited by Pirana

I am not sure why they decided to do that even though the majority of the community is clearly against it and we have WoW as an example of a game that uses this system and its not doing well at all.

you may not have noticed this, but the majority of any community will complain when you make something more difficult, even if all you're doing is moving back to the middle from a novel ("new," "brief") system that was the easiest thing in the history of the genre.

furthermore, you're always going to get large swathes of people who are just change averse b/c they've developed a comfort level with the "current" system. I, for one, was comfortable with 5.x, and I did not like the idea of tacts and amps, so I went to check out WoW. edit: b/c I'm not comfortable without the mouse and keyboard (see below).

Edited by CheesyEZ

This is a very good observation. FF14 and ESO both have controller support, two of the most popular MMO's on the market, pruning abilities would help in that endeavor.

Ultimately I think what's going to happen, is when their contract is up, Disney will then decide to renew it, let it run in maintenance mode or simply cancel it. What EAWare is currently doing, is extremely brazen.

I did an informal ability count on my IO merc in another thread, and it turns out there are more than 40 abilities, movement, and targeting binds that I use in every single match, which is exactly 1 more than I'd use in pve situations (no WZ adrenal).

there's no way in hell they're mapping all that to a console-type controller. the pruning I've seen isn't even close. I do think some specs could do it reasonably well (AP PT). pruning DCDs is definitely the first step, imo. just one bind for "block" and one for "med pack" would work. but without drastically pruning (like limiting it to about 10 binds), the only way to go would be combo moves and changing the ability of a certain button when one reaches a certain supplementary resource threshhold (e.g., "rage"). my point is that it's doable, but it would require far far more drastic pruning than what I've seen for 7.0. /shrug

I tried twice to play ESO and I haven't leveled past like...5? that game has always felt like it was designed for a controller. but you walk around with a target reticle. New World also has that limited scope of needing just a handful of abilities during combat. I don't think SWTOR ever gets down to that limited number of binds. but who knows? it's definitely the trend. even Guild Wars 2 keeps things down to basically just 1 quick bar with rotating abilities.

Maybe of the game, maybe not; but definitely for me.

I've been here since beta and from the sounds of it, 7.0 will end the last vestiges of the game I started with. They're nerfing conquest - the best addition they've made in the game in a long time, PvP has long since been killed off, crafting will now be worse than the joke it already is, people are already complaining about the new gearing system, etc.

I really think once 7.0 comes out I will have to ask, is it any fun to play this game anymore.

And yes, I know Bioware doesn't care.

There was no conquest at launch so these are not "vestiges" the game started with. Conquest came with 2.9 in August of 2014, so almost 3 years after the game released. I fear you're given to hyperbole.

I for one am looking forward to these changes, though I haven't seen anything official on crafting yet so I would be obliged if you could tell me the source for your complaints about crafting.

There was no conquest at launch so these are not "vestiges" the game started with. Conquest came with 2.9 in August of 2014, so almost 3 years after the game released. I fear you're given to hyperbole.

So Conquest has been in the game, longer than it has not? I fear you lack perspective.

I for one am looking forward to these changes, though I haven't seen anything official on crafting yet so I would be obliged if you could tell me the source for your complaints about crafting.

From Jackioh's post "Augments and Augmentation Kits are still craftable, and able to be used on all 7.0 gear. We are not raising Crew Skills, Gathering or Crafting levels upon the 7.0 release, but they are a part of our 10-year celebration plans."

So undisclosed future plans, but absolutely nothing for 7.0. With all armor being static, I don't imagine too many people will augment gear until they cap it.

From Jackioh's post "Augments and Augmentation Kits are still craftable, and able to be used on all 7.0 gear. We are not raising Crew Skills, Gathering or Crafting levels upon the 7.0 release, but they are a part of our 10-year celebration plans."

So undisclosed future plans, but absolutely nothing for 7.0. With all armor being static, I don't imagine too many people will augment gear until they cap it.

Ahh thx for that. Either it's true that they wanted to use crafting for the celebration or the celebration is being used to postpone the crafting changes. And either way I suspect that this means that major crafting changes are coming next year because otherwise they would've done it right at 7.0. It's disappointing that it's not on release but the crafting changes will come, I'm sure of that. Instead of this I guess we'll be able to use crafting for whatever they've got planned for the celebration.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2023 when EA's Star Wars license expires. It Disney wants too much to renew it I could see EA pulling the plug. Everything in business eventually comes down to income vs expense.

It's not that this game doesn't make money, it's that it (possibly) doesn't make ENOUGH money.

I did an informal ability count on my IO merc in another thread, and it turns out there are more than 40 abilities, movement, and targeting binds that I use in every single match, which is exactly 1 more than I'd use in pve situations (no WZ adrenal).

there's no way in hell they're mapping all that to a console-type controller. the pruning I've seen isn't even close. I do think some specs could do it reasonably well (AP PT). pruning DCDs is definitely the first step, imo. just one bind for "block" and one for "med pack" would work. but without drastically pruning (like limiting it to about 10 binds), the only way to go would be combo moves and changing the ability of a certain button when one reaches a certain supplementary resource threshhold (e.g., "rage"). my point is that it's doable, but it would require far far more drastic pruning than what I've seen for 7.0. /shrug

I tried twice to play ESO and I haven't leveled past like...5? that game has always felt like it was designed for a controller. but you walk around with a target reticle. New World also has that limited scope of needing just a handful of abilities during combat. I don't think SWTOR ever gets down to that limited number of binds. but who knows? it's definitely the trend. even Guild Wars 2 keeps things down to basically just 1 quick bar with rotating abilities.

Crazy as it may seem. some classes in FF14 do have more abilities than this game and it's doable with a controller, whether or not EAWare would take it this far, I have no idea. I've been using a keyboard for years and having to adapt to a controller, well, I have no desire to. You can watch a number of vids on Youtube that provide similar details to this one:

Edit: Regarding ESO, it is action combat, similar to a game like Tera, in other words, no tab targeting. It relies more on skill in combat v clicking a button to target the next opponent. I will agree that first portion of leveling in that game, at least until you acquire a mount can be arduous. This game starts to pick up pace when you're able to start running dungeons. I think a turnoff to some though, is that it is action combat and if some are used to tab targeting, this game may not for them.

Edited by Pirana

What changes to crafting can they possibly make that would make it even more useless? Remove dye recipes?

As for dying, when you start hearing rumours of Disney licensing another SW MMO that's when the end comes and not a second sooner, doesn't take much to keep an MMO running.

Edited by UmbralSpirit

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2023 when EA's Star Wars license expires. It Disney wants too much to renew it I could see EA pulling the plug. Everything in business eventually comes down to income vs expense.

Didnt Disney already decide there wont be anymore exclusive license given to a single publisher? EA's exclusive license to the SW franchise is dead. There wont be any renewal.

I actually do wonder who Bioware thinks they're "targeting" with this cause it seems like absolutely NO ONE lol

Given the emphasis on expanded builds and the weapons outfit slot, I'd suggest Space Barbie is a 'whale' of a target.

Perhaps they are trying to blend Star "Wars" with Star "Sims".

😇

Edited by JediQuaker

Given the emphasis on expanded builds and the weapons outfit slot, I'd suggest Space Barbie is a 'whale' of a target.

Perhaps they are trying to blend Star "Wars" with Star "Sims".

😇

I guess I always wind up being the contrarian, but I don't really have much to complain about with 7.0. I'm not excited for the gearing system, but it's far from the most egregious form this game has had and, I mean, it's not a big deal regardless. I like most of the changes coming down the pipeline (Even the pruning!) and, I dunno, I just don't get the doom and gloom.

What changes to crafting can they possibly make that would make it even more useless? Remove dye recipes?

As for dying, when you start hearing rumours of Disney licensing another SW MMO that's when the end comes and not a second sooner, doesn't take much to keep an MMO running.

Actually the company I work for gives rights to other companies to use our IP and we just let one go. Why, because of perception. How we could be associated with the negative reputation of that company. The potential of lost revenue due to negative association outweighed the potential for gain from them. There are no plans to pick up another to replace them at this time.

I guess I always wind up being the contrarian, but I don't really have much to complain about with 7.0. I'm not excited for the gearing system, but it's far from the most egregious form this game has had and, I mean, it's not a big deal regardless. I like most of the changes coming down the pipeline (Even the pruning!) and, I dunno, I just don't get the doom and gloom.

My post about "Space Barbie" was not a complaint. 🙂

The doom and gloom happens every time there is an update. 🙄

The doom and gloom happens every time there is an update. 🙄

This is different though. There hasn't been an expansion that shakes up every aspect of gameplay, even the levelling process, this much since they got rid of the old skill trees.

Some players might like the changes, but I suggest everyone check out the PTS to see what's coming and make up their own minds on how it will affect their enjoyment of the game.

Every expansion, every game, its always the same... the nay sayers are going to say nay.

There are issues, but there are always issues, in every games.

7.0 is NOT the end, if anything its a new beginning. With more old republic content being created including now a film, this game is in the prefect pace to have a resurgence if EA doesnt step on their own private parts.

If only I had said

the best addition they've made in the game in a long time

Same song and dance that happens every major update. People are leaving! The game is gonna end!

Yeah. It happens every time, but guess what? People will still play the game. People will still pay for it. And they'll keep this thing going as long as they have subs. So, meh, I'm not worried. I'll still be playing. Been playing since it started. I'll be playing till it ends.

For me it simple, there is far more being removed from the game than being added. If I thought the game was worth a subscription before, I'm struggling too now when there is just less for me in the newest patch.